Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And yet you still get moaned at by the usual on Facebook when you say that smart meters are to be avoided.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

Really good discussion here about tariffs/payback/battery vs no battery.

i have 5kw array with no battery , but i do have an EV which i can dump excess power into on sunny days.

One thing is very clear to me , i need to put in more panels :)

we will all see a bit of pain in energy prices this winter and probably into winter 23 with the way we buy gas on the markets.

if Russia even hints at playing silly buggers with gas this winter , expect a rough winter or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

One thing is very clear to me , i need to put in more panels :)

LOL - I had 14, now I've 20.....and once my SEAI grant is finally (finally) signed of, I'm seeing if I can get to 23! Panels are the engine to everything, be it FIT or Battery, or EV....can't do diddilly without the raw power. Ultimate aim is to turn off the gas, stop paying those standing charges too, but the hob and boiler will have to go first and that's not going to happen for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

got an email from esb .

looks like there not paying from feb..

When will my payment start?

Your first payment will be made by end of 2022 and this will be backdated to the latest of the following dates:

February 15th 2022

The date your NC6 was processed

The date your smart meter was installed

This first payment will be applied in the form of a credit on your bill. After your first payment you will receive a microgen credit on each bill, reflecting the amount of electricity you exported in that period. 

What rate will I be paid?

Electric Ireland is pleased to offer a rate of 14c per kWh. We estimate that this payment will range between €50 - €300 per year, depending on the size and type of your microgen system (a typical installation of 10 PV panels would be about €150 per year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Well... it depends.

If you had Solar prior to Feb 2022 and you do not yet have a smart meter they will back pay to Feb 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

mine went in in May , so for now , will have to wait until i get the smart meter installed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

U sir have some faith. No email here, DN meter, Installed October last year. I will be happily surprised if I get any cash but have zero faith in any provider actually paying fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you send in the NC6 form? In fairness, everyone I know that did (myself included), did get an email from their utility provider confirming they got the info from the ESB that we are micro generators

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I Havent, but I dont think energia has sent anything out yet, EI and SSE have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I've my NC6 in since last November and with EI since then as well but I have heard not a peep from them regarding FIT. I have reached out to them about FIT a few months ago and smart meter etc. But nothing back. I'm on holidays now but I'm going to chase them hard once I get back.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

I’ve been reading and trying to get my head around the different opinions here. I’m in the following situation and would welcome peoples opinion. We have a Pv system on the way deposit paid. 7.4kwp, which I may boost to 8. 6kv hybrid inverter and 9.6kw dyness battery. Day night meter and no sign of a smart meter. We are currently using on average 18kw per day. I’ve measured it the last 2 weeks but home all the time currently but this will change when the kids go back to school and we go to work. I’m guessing the battery is costing me approx 4k with 500 extra for the hybrid investor.

if I charge and discharge the battery daily that’s 3,300 units. Say I charge at night at 0.15 and discharge at 0.30 that gives me a saving of €490 per year. So pay back within 10 years and not accounting for any gain from the panels and fit.

it seems very likely that rates will increase with a greater disparity between day and night and the heavily flagged potential of a peak time rate increase also coming in does the battery not still make sense or should I be contacting the installer and renegotiating. We used 13500kw last year but this will be less this year just for context. Electricity is the only energy utility and we don’t have an ev an unlikely to afford one about 5 years unless the current car dies beforehand. We run a heat pump hence the consumption level but no space heating required until about October.

id be delighted to get the various opinions as I’m melted trying to workout what to do even if I can get out of the battery should I?

Also can anyone tell me if when we get a smart meter we can be forced off day and night tariffs to smart tariffs? Which seem to be a complete rip off.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Don't know ... would my installer do that as part of the grant or was that an extra step I needed to do? My installer did all paperwork for me and grant etc.

I feel your dilemma.

Because it's the future and people don't know what will happen with rates etc, I don't think there's a right answer there that someone can definitively tell you the absolutely best course of action. That said, I think a good way in looking at it is.....no matter what you pick, you'll be saving some money and it will pay for itself in as you say 10 years. One path might not save as much as the other path, but in either scenario you'll come out ahead of someone who doesn't install solar - and that's the way I'd look at it.

Personally, I'd go for the battery. It gives you options that you don't have. Not 100% sure that I'd go for a 10kwhr one, but to be fair, the larger batteries are typically cheaper, and if you can cycle it.....you can pay it back quicker.

The thing that still attracts me to the battery path is that those "peak tariffs" look pretty nasty. Having even a small battery to ride through those 2 hrs or so of peak time is a good thing. Sure, the FIT of €0.14 helps offset it, but if the peak tariff is €0.45 or something, that's going to sting. I also like the battery purely for bill management. We didn't mention this before, but it's in winter that we have these mental bills. Unfortunately solar is pants then, so a battery which you can charge offpeak and use during the day helps reduce the bills. Yes, the "FIT money" is great and all in June/July/etc, but that money is long spent by the middle of Jan - LOL!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Email esbnetworks@esb.ie with your address and MPRN seeking confirmation that a NC6 was submitted on your behalf. They responded within a week confirming they had mine on file.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Surely if the grant was applied for and received a NC6 must have been submitted…

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

@redmagic, I'd be inclined to go with the 9.6kw battery and would definitely add the 2 extra panels. Those panels will be a small additional cost overall, far more expensive down the road esp as it would only be a small increase in production compared to install costs. If cost is a factor, I'd be inclined to downsize the battery in lieu of more panels. Easier to add later compared to panels.

I've a similar size system though with a 4.8kwh battery, using around 8400kwh a year (no EVs or heat pump but some electric heaters in the offices). I would have added a few more panels at install time but the roof is filled with what I have, and having looked into it since, it's not really feasible/ cost effective to add on the north side.

I almost got a second battery earlier in the summer, but decided to wait until fit was announced. Leaning towards leaving it for now (more for personal financial reasons than anything else), but will definitely increase when we extend the house in a few years (as well as a second panel array and inverter)

In the winter the heat pump on its own will easily consume your production. The battery will then help avoid imports, as you've already calculated re: night charging

In your situation I think the larger battery capacity will come into its own to help maximize consumption, as production increases in the spring (autumn much the same). The battery will bridge the gap between production and when you need to consume it. Night rate charging will help as well here too.

If the pump is effectively off in the summer, your proposed system should keep imports to a bare minimum and FIT will kick in, earning some credit towards the winter bills. With the heat pump going and the large storage, FIT is unlikely to apply from Sept to April.

Tldr: go for it, get the extra panels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

As @bullit_dodger says "The thing that still attracts me to the battery path is that those "peak tariffs" look pretty nasty."

If going with a hybrid/battery system, just be sure you know what output it can feed in and that anything over that will still come from the gird in winter (solar may provide extra in summer).

I discovered that miy hybrid/battery will only feed in 2.4kW, so running kettles, ovens etc still draw anything over that from the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I did this, when I asked about the FIT because I haven't a smart meter they threw me onto my provider.....pass the buck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Bingo - the discharge rate for the battery is often overlooked! My final two options were similar on price but the one that won out had a 5kW discharge and the other was 2.5kW - both were 5kWh~ batteries. I went with the one that had a 5kW discharge. The 2.5kW one wouldn't even cover the power draw of a kettle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

ESBN is right though. Any queries on FIT go to your provider. If you wanted to check if they have the NC6 then do that, but beyond that you need to speak with your provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Oh I know buts it’s a bit annoying at this stage, network is getting the benefit, passing to suppliers is just making sure ESBN don’t have to make a decision. It’s simple, give a rate and just get supplier to pass on but they will f**k around as usual

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds like a Pylontech battery, if you add another of the same the rate will double for you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I think you are being over optimistic and simplistic with the 3300 units.

Unless you are going to implement some automation with weather forecasting and be constantly messing with settings you wont hit those figures.

Some examples off the top of my head (but not exhaustive)...

Charging at night in the winter is fine, you know Solar is going to be low so charge away but what about the summer and shoulder months where the Solar is alot more intermittent/unpredicatable. You might decide that tomorrow is sunny so you dont charge the battery overnight but then its not as sunny as you thought and you dont get the full charge/discharge to occur.

There are losses with charging and discharging the battery which will be 10-20% depending on your system. Not insignificant when you work it out (see my worked example a few page back)

There will be days in the summer where you have 10kWh in the battery at 8pm.... you wont burn all that off by 8am the following morning.

You probably take a few weeks holidays or weekends away etc during the year.... no cycle those days either.

You've used 30c/15c as your figures.... there is better in the market than that. I gave a worked example a few pages back. Yes, prices are going up and we cant guess the future but you can get better. There is even a fixed rate you can signup to to guarantee your rate for the next 12 months by which time the current volatility might have subsided.

My advice, if your head is still melted from it, is to leave the battery out and put some of that money into more panels. You can always put a battery in later and it doesn't involve any scaffolding or going up in the roof. Just leave room around the inverter to mount the batteries.

If you sink the money into it now its sunk money as its harder to rip it out and deal with selling it than put one in later.... particularly since there is no grant involved for it anymore and FiT will be paying for your excess.

People get hung up on the discharge rate, but often it doesn't actually matter a dam - and if you have a small battery your 2.5Kw discharge rate is perfectly fine. I know you'll say....

"What?! But that's nonsense if I had double the discharge rate, then I wouldn't have to import some from the grid when the kettle is on etc"

Yeah, so it goes like this. If you've a 2.5Kwhr capacity battery (which is a relatively small battery) You might get 4-5 hrs out of it, assuming 500watts an hour house load. If you start using high current devices like a kettle/dishwasher/etc, that battery is going to be depleted sooner. So it would be a question of

a) being able to 100% satisfy the house loads until (say) 8pm and then import from the grid or

b) being able to 60-70% satisfy the house loads until (say) 10pm and then import from the grid.

If it's a) above, then yes you've satisfied your house load better when you had storage, but you'll end up importing 100% earlier, if you follow. If your battery is depleted before night time rate (assuming your on D/N) then it doesn't really matter the discharge rate. Course adding a 2nd battery would increase your capacity, and that might make a difference in itself, but you have to look at when the battery is empty

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

No .... actually a Solax X1 5kW Hybrid and 5.8kWh Solax battery. The battery voltage is 120V and the inverter will pass 20A, hence the 2.4kW. Not sure if adding a second battery would increase the voltage or just the kWh in my case.

Only learnt after the purchase, so hoping others dont ignore this as part of their decision making process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Good points, one thing is some inverters are quite smart, the giverenergy one I have has the option to connect or talk to external devices (early days yet but the feature is being developed), but also to manage the battery based on predicted generation (this being released soon).

It also integrates with smart tarrif providers and will manage export and charging based on your providers plan!

Post edited by wexfordman2 on

It also imtrgrates qith smart tarrof provoders amd will mammahe expprt amd xharging based on your providers plan!

Huh! 🤣

I think I deciphered it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Sorry, small keyboard, big thumbs, i will correct it!

Advertisement