Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I do question if a lot of installers look at the best option for us, or for them. That's why I am asking these Qs. I had to rule out a few companies who only wanted an easy life sales and install wise. But poor design for us.

You could mull over if you want hot water more than you do power. Or you wanna pay a premium for ground mount solar and leave the solar thermals as is. As in what's the must haves and nice to haves for it to work for you. And solar can also heat water (but muchhhh less efficiently that solar thermals).

Solar thermals can go anywhere AFAIK. As in ground, off a wall on supports.... Doesn't have to be a roof. I don't have them but others here do and some maybe moved them. Those here with them say keep them. But doesn't mean you can't keep them but move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Well done for walking away. Lots of people don't and get stung for outrageous prices.

I think we all know what company you dealt with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

That the kind of price screams "we don't want the job" but some people bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sebgates

Hi, I have got 3 quotes for solar PV from different companies. The quotes are for the same spec equipment and are within a €300 range.

1st quote

To supply a 3.6kWp system with battery storage would cost €13100.

9 x 405 watt Longi panels

1 x 5kW Solis Hybrid inverter

1 x 5kWh Weco Battery

1 x Eddie water diverter, Harvi and Hub.

System Cost inc VAT @13.5% = €13,100

Installation date: Early October 2022

-------------------------

2nd Quote

10 x Jinko 410w Tiger All Black N-Type panels

1 x 5kW Solis Hybrid inverter

1 x PureDrive II - 5kW Battery 

System Cost inc VAT @13.5% = €12,900

Installation date: Early December 2022

3rd Quote

9 x 410 watt Longi panels

1 x Solis RHI-6k-48ES 6kw inverter 

1 x PureDrive II - 5kW Battery 

System Cost inc VAT @13.5% = €12,800

Installation date: Early September 2022 (early date due to cancellation - otherwise mid November)

All 3 suppliers are registered with SEAI.

I did ask for quotes in May from the same companies which were €500 cheeper. Price increase was due to demand (so companies said) Do these seem fair quotes? Which one would you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

Our last bill shows we used 1,400 units in 7 months. At those levels I guess a small system like solar as a service makes sense.

We only have an immersion to heat the water when heating is off as we don't have a zoned system so would an eddi be worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Bin the lot of them. They're rubbish.

Since your looking for a 8-9 panel system, there really isn't a better option out there than "Solar as a service". You don't even pay them any money. Yeah, it sounds too good to be true, but a good few of the regulars on the forums have had installs from them and for small'ish systems (~4Kwp) they are hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Except that they just went up from €30 to €40 for 8 panels. A bit on people missed a good boat. Mind you, as we know, they were at €20 this time last year !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Website is, still showing 29.95 with grant paid to them. 39.95 with an eddi, so not sure what you're alluding to!

The 20e deal was also for a 7panel system. This one is 8 panels.

It's still the base price which you continue to refer to when getting quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

It's between quote 2 and 3 but they are both on the high side. Quote 3 with the September installation date is interesting

If you could get a few more panels up then that would be the one to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Apparently, according to folks on FB, it's now €30 for 5, €35 for 6, €38 for 7 and €40 for 8. I can only assume that the website hasn't been updated

Confirmed by two people 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

So if we use the small deployment formula of 1.5k per kwp, then the saas works out the same. Not that I can get them out here the wild west.

So to me they are good if you don't have a slush fund as it might be cheaper than a 6% loan rate.

Who knows what will happen gouging wise when the so called low cost/0% retrofit loan (depends on which politician you talk too) happens. Of course there is if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Got saas installed in June 49.50 pm for 11 panels with eddi, very very happy with that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We had contacted our electricity supplier about installing panels through their payment plan. Their supplier is quoting us at 12 panels (4.5kw) and eddi for €10,475, or 14 panels (5.3kw) and eddi for €12,880.

From what I have seen here, it’s looking a little high. With regards to SAAS, is there only the one installer offering this. I’ll be calling the one company I have found on google but does anyone know if they either fit batteries as well or can they set up to accept a battery at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

I offered to do some of the ground work as I have a friend with digger.

Ground mount, 18x400w panels, 6kw inverter, 2x 2.4 batteries. They reduced the price to €17,500 after grant and said thats the very best they can do. Seriously considering this as holding deposit. And would imagine they will take expenses out if I go elsewhere at this stage so I need to facter this in.

I want to thank everybody on here for being so supportive, its great to get honest opinions, keep up the good work.

To put it into perspective my 49.50 pm for 11 panels and an eddi will cost me less than 6k over 10 years so not far off half of what you are being quoted. Yes there is only one company I am aware of doing saas and people on here have said they don't go too far west which will be an issue for some. Having said that I am in Athlone and when they installed mine in June they told me they can be anywhere from Dublin to galway doing installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am looking at a small number of panels too. If solar as a service if the best option for small installs, do most providers offer solar as a service? I think provider recommendations are not allowed here but if anyone can point me towards a list of solar as a service providers it would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Are you contracted in at that price for a set number of years or are you at the mercy of "the market" where they can up prices as per every other subscription service (TV/streaming/broadband/phone/etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

@bullit_dodger -> Why do you say "Bin the lot of them. They're rubbish" ??

There should be some material evidence to back that statement up??

I/we don't normally do this.....as it takes time and effort to explain, but ok sure lets take this one to explain. I reformatted the quotes in the interest of readability.

1st quote

To supply a 3.6kWp system with battery storage would cost €13100.

9 x 405 watt Longi panels, 1 x 5kW Solis Hybrid inverter , 1 x 5kWh Weco Battery, 1 x Eddie water diverter, Harvi and Hub.

System Cost inc VAT @13.5% = €13,100

Using the normal formula benchmark (if you'd read this forum for long or the FAQ for this section) you'd know this is....

€1.2k per 1kWp in panels + €1K per 2kWh in battery + €550 (diverter/Eddi) = Rough price to pay. 

So that would be......

(3.6 x €1.2K) + (€1K * 5/2) + €550 = Rough price to pay = €7,370 and they've been quoted €13,100. To be fair, it wasn't clear if that €13,100 was with or without the grant taken off. Let's assume it HASN'T been taken off, so that would drop it to €10,700 (the max grant is €2400)

So yeah, it's probably €3-4K over the odds.

2nd Quote

10 x Jinko 410w Tiger All Black N-Type panels. 1 x 5kW Solis Hybrid inverter. 1 x PureDrive II - 5kW Battery , 1 x Eddie water diverter, Harvi and Hub.

System Cost inc VAT @13.5% = €12,900

Similarly.....

(4.1 x €1.2K) + (€1K * 5/2) + €550 = Rough price to pay = €7,970 and they've been quoted €12,900 (again, I'll assume grant not taken off, so €10,500), so about €2000 over the odds.

3rd Quote - I'll leave as an exercise to the reader ....

As I was saying, bin the lot of them. :-) If it's a small system (8-9 panels) have a look at the Saas guys, they are hard to beat.

Direct debit price doesn't change over the course of the contract so in reality factoring inflation it gets cheaper each year. If people can afford a big upfront payment then they possibly should go with another installer. I couldn't so for my situation it was a win win. I wonder how much a 4kw system will cost in 10 years? can guarantee it will be more than 6k.

• Advertisement

OK - Gotcha - I was reading it like the materials/products were rubbish - rather than the price of the quote being rubbish. :-)

I was therefore worried because I have been quoted a good price for the Longi/Solis/Weco/Zappi combo and I was about to go ahead with it.!!

There's not really a "bad" manufacturer out there to be avoided. Most of the inverters do exactly what they say on the tin. Sure, like all electronic devices occasionally one will go on the blink, but that happens with TVs, and washing machines, etc . Similarly panels and batteries are the same, they do their job and not much more to be said about them.

Yeah sure......you might get a panel which has 88.4% efficiency after 10 years, verses another more expensive panel which does 88.7% (makie-up-numbers), but it doesn't actually matter. Go with the crew that gives you the best vibe/value.

Quotation Received:

South-West facing Roof - plenty of space

22 x 405 watt longi panels

1 x 6kw solis hybrid inverter

2 x Weco 4 kw battery

1 x smart diverter eddi

1 x my energi zappi with built in hub

1 x harvi wireless ct

€16,600 before grant applied - €13600 after solar+EV charger grant.

So to use the rough calculator:

(22x405)=8.9kWp

(8.9x€1.2k)+(8/2x€1k)+€550+€1200 = €16442

Based on this, I think the quote is fair (I've seen quotes for the Zappi at €1450 from other places.)

The bit I'm not sure about is if the Solis 6kW is adequate for the 8.9kWp system - should I be going for something else/bigger etc.?????

Yea I completely agree with this - all electronics and systems are such like.

Another thing about warranties... Pay €5k extra because a certain panel has a 30yr warranty rather than 25 - I could be dead in 25 years and technology will have moved on substantially by then - etc etc etc. My take is to get them in ASAP and start making them work NOW.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There isn't anything bigger in the domestic space here, but yeah the panels are over specd but what would happen is that it will clip to 6kw on the good days at the peak sun. Losing a little bit on the top but gaining it on the ramp up and ramp down and on the days that it's not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I know ground mounts cost more but this seems very bad price. Without getting a pen and paper out it will take 20 years to break even, for something that should be 5-10?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Seems reasonable quote. won’t do much better. Where is installer located?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Hi Folks

Was getting some very high electricity bills (2 adults) and decided to look into solar to see what the options are. I'm in an A rated terraced house in Kildare that already has 4 panels mounted on the back part of an A frame roof.

The problem is that the 4 existing panels do not seem to have ever worked (5 year old house) they seem to have generated a total sum of 53kwh over the years.

I'm not sure if I can reuse the existing mounting and put 4 high performance panels on it. The plan would be to put 2 more panels on the back (horizontally to fit above the attic conversion windows) and a further 6 on the front of the A Frame.

That would give me a total of 12 panels.

My wife works from home every day and I tend to work from home 2 days a week so I'm not sure if a battery is something we should consider ? Any guidance here would be great.

This is the quote I received from a company recently and I would really appreciate it if you could help me understand if its a decent base offer and what further clarification questions I might need to ask.

These are the quotes :

Option 1 - Hybrid System

12 X 360w panels creating a minimum of 4320kWp

Hybrid Inverter - This allows batteries to be added to the system if required in the future.

Eddi Hot Water Diverter

Full App monitoring – Generation/Consumption/Storage/Grid

Multi Roof Connection

We have already deducted the grant of €2,400 from the price which Company XXX would apply and claim on your behalf.

Total: € 10,250

Option 2 - Hybrid System + Battery

12 X 360w panels creating a minimum of 4320kWp

Hybrid Inverter - This allows batteries to be added to the system if required in the future.

1 x 2.4kWh Battery

Eddi Hot Water Diverter

Full App monitoring – Generation/Consumption/Storage/Grid

Multi Roof Connection

We have already deducted the grant of €2,400 from the price which Company XXX would apply and claim on your behalf.

Total: € 12,150

From looking at the rough rule of thumb it would look like :

€1.2k per 1kWp in panels + €1K per 2kWh in battery + €550 (diverter/Eddi) = Rough price to pay. 

(4.3 x €1.2k) + (€1k x 2.4) + €550 = €5160 + €2,400 + €550 = €8,110 which would be a difference of €4,040 in terms of the 2nd Option quote I received.

From looking at the site and examples that others have generously shared I think I need to be asking the following clarification questions :

• Does the quote include removing the existing 4 panels and mountings or re purposing the mountings to hold 4 new ones ?
    • What kind of Hybrid Inverter are you suggesting  ? Huawei SUN2000, Sunsynk, Solis etc.
    • Eddi Hot Water Diverter – Does this include Harvi and Hub ?
    • 12 X 360w panels creating a minimum of 4320kWp. What make are these panels ? Longi, JA etc. ?
    • What type of Battery is it ? GivEnergy, Dyness etc.
    • What type of mounting kit are you proposing ? Renusol etc. ?
    • Do those total prices include VAT ?
    • When would you be in a position to carry out the installation ?

Is there anything else that I should be looking at asking ?

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions that people can offer.

Post edited by Colking on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

These were the replies to the above clarification questions that I received.

*Does the quote include removing the existing 4 panels and mountings or re purposing the mountings to hold 4 new ones as part of the 12 panel array  

Included in Price

*What kind of Hybrid Inverter are you suggesting ? Huawei SUN2000, Sunsynk, Solis etc.

Solis

*What kw is the inverter ?

*Eddi Hot Water Diverter – Does this include Harvi and Hub ?

€300 extra

*12 X 360w panels creating a minimum of 4320kWp. What make are these panels ? Longi, JA etc. ?

JA Solar

*What type of Battery is it ? GivEnergy, Dyness etc.

Pylontech

*What type of mounting kit are you proposing ? Renusol etc. ?

Renusol

*Do those total prices include VAT ?

Included

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement