Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Often you have to force a system to failure before steps will taken to correct it.

You often find a bad process or system is propped up by people working for free and doing insane hours. Remove that person or people and it fails and/or becomes unviable.

It's because every place is like that. Mostly not measuring productivity except though clock watching.

The issue with Martin example was there was not enough information to answer the question. There were many possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

People are asked to come in and work unreasonable hours or work weekends or do absurd extras. This has been happening since the year dot. It's not something "new". People deal with it by leaving the job, or (over time) the industry gets more regulated, or work practices change, etc, depends on the region, field and many factors.

It's not a "system'. One job can have good conditions, another can have terrible conditions. One company producing a product can be an awful place to work for, another company producing the same product can be a great place to work.

Likewise longer hours can be related to economic factors, e.g. the average Chinese person works much longer hours than the average Irish person. It can be a cultural thing, in e.g. Japan and the US, people generally work longer hours than other countries. Cultural and economic aspects can take a long time to change.

But just finishing your job on the dot of 5 every single day is not something I would recommend people do for very obvious reasons. I don't do it because I work with a team and I would never let them down by having a nonsensical attitude like that. However if my job was systematically forcing me to work extra hours, without recognising it, that's something very different, however again I certainly wouldn't handle that situation by logging out on the dot of 5 every day.

It's a dumb solution that's my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's a dumb solution that's my point.

Gets ‘em likes and shares on social media though, that’s more important than actually examining what’s wrong with their own attitude to employment that they feel a need to share it with the world as if what they’re doing deserves recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

What about the people who do work for companies that expect free out of hours labour, if the business has a culture of same.

Do these people have an attitude problem?

• Advertisement

No every place isn’t like that though, because due to the nature of employment involved, they can’t be. What is common though, is the attitude among some people who imagine they’re being clever by doing the bare minimum to get by, because they’re not going to be “cubicle slaves in the corporate rat race”, and the latest TikTok trend is just same shìt, different day.

But yes, Martin’s example was silly, but we both understood the point where they were intending to go with it, to make out that because someone takes longer doing something they’re procrastinating and not as productive, or not as valuable as an employee as the person who’s doing the bare minimum is expected of them.

Can’t measure things in idealistic scenarios like that, there may be good reason why someone may be having difficulty with a task which should be within their capacity, but aren’t completing the tasks set for them within the time expected. Could be as you suggest, any number of reasons -

https://www.understood.org/en/articles/a-day-in-the-life-of-an-employee-with-dyslexia

Yes, they do when they’re calling it free out of hours labour. If anyone feels they are being exploited, pull up your pants, have a chat with your boss, and if you’re still getting nowhere, seek alternative employment. If there isn’t alternative employment in the same or similar field - retrain, upskill, take some time out to assess what you actually want, whatever, but don’t sit stewing expecting anyone to give a shìt that you’re going to be obstinate in protest at your feeling undervalued and underpaid.

ps: Learn to use focus mode on all communication devices - absolute Godsend! 😂

Everything these days is over reported.

But the lockdown certainly has caused people to reassess their work life balance on a whole new scale than previously.

That is new.

Ultimately it's give and take. Mostly its one sided. I think more people realized that when working from home.

All those extra 20-60 mins stuff you get pulled into as you're going out the door or at lunchtime. Try adding that altogether and doing it on Saturdays. See if they are willing to pay for it then, or come in to manage it.

If they value it they will pay for it. If they won't pay for it they don't value it.

They also don't value the person as much as they claim to if they don't value their time.

Right. You are spot on with your suggestions. Say it takes a year to gain the necessary new or upskill to allow someone to change job what do you think they should do in the meantime?

Actually the course doesn't start until spring so realistically itl be at least 18 months before they are ready to search for the dream job they have unskilled to get.

In the mealtime the bills need to be paid though don't they so you go burst your bollox for nothing and il tip away at the minimum while planning something bigger and better and getting paid all along.

Let's check back in again in 5 years and see who is better off. No slacking now, the bosses looking down from his window at you

The point is how do you measure productivity.

A classic deflection from an absence of productivity metrics is fringe examples.

What I meant is they are often counter intuitive. You might investigate why an employee is much more productive when over seen by a manager. Only to realize when the manager is not there, the block is the employee requires the managers input to complete tasks. It's the management causing the problem with productivity not the employee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Quiet quitting is a reflection on poor practices in business really. Anyone can say what they want, but expecting people to work any amount of hours for free is wrong.

One of the really strange things is people who are employees themselves arguing against so called quiet quitting. That makes no sense to me, it’s clearly justified and in the interests of all employees. Don’t believe otherwise, your employer knows it as well.

I think what’s interesting is what happens next. If employees get unionised there could be a big push back. Companies are probably going to have to be more flexible, even though they’re used to the opposite being the case.

For someone who ran businesses years ago it’s crazy what has happened. If I had been told in 1990 that in the future I’d get hundreds of workers to accept a situation where they got no extra payment for extra hours, instead of double time, I’d have been more disbelieving than if I’d been told about electronic banking or email.

But it may have been too good (or too bad!) to last indefinitely. There’s a savage frustration with the way things have been going, not just here but in the UK and especially America too. In essence it’s the white working classes who had to deal with worsening conditions who elected Trump. Like SF, he talked about things people cared about from a perspective like his audiences, even though he is a mad fcker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

At the moment it's an employee market. Those employers who are dinosaurs are going to be left struggling to retain staff and get staff. People are not going to work for someone is a wanna be slave driver and all that is stopping them is the employment law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Big4 audit is notorious for this. Crazy hours, loads of overtime, weekend work, and if you left the audit room at 5.30 to go to football training or your accounting lectures you get the "on a half day" joke that never seems to get old for these people who have resigned their life to working ridiculous hours for no thanks.

Games industry and IT the same. All night and weekends to get a build in by the deadline. After a summer of this, its gets old. Product is also still nowhere near finished.

Would it be right that those people don’t get paid overtime? Do those big accounting firms struggle to keep people? Have quite a big accounting firm that I deal with, there does seem to be a good bit of turnover.

The idea (I assume) is you start earning big later on in your career. Unless your career stalls then its all for nothing.

No paid overtime, build up toil which you then use to take 3 months off to study for the final accounting exams.

You'll see the Big4 in the news every year announcing 300+ jobs. That's to replace the 300 who left the same year because the majority don't stay long term. There is a career path but it's very much pyramid shaped, and only a few will make it to partner level.

The trainee salaries are awful (or were 10 years anyway). A lot will leave after they get the professional qualification and go take a job in industry for better pay and hours.

That’s an awfully specific scenario Tom, but sure why don’t you take right now as your end point, and where you were five years ago as your start point. It’s the same thing as five years into the future. Are you doing better for yourself now than you were then?

I should hope so. You’re unlikely to be doing better than you were then, if at that time you had decided to initiate “Plan Stick it to the Man” -

The is no doubt that “Quiet Quitting” has been going on for years. The way its defined it is just about being disengaged or not fully engaged at work. Not giving your 100% best. This is most people btw. Gallup has been measuring this for over a decade (check out this 2013 poll)  and have been finding that most employees are not fully engaged by their work. Recent global results are still poor. The challenges relating to this for leadership and management have spawned much commentary and column inches. The bottom line is the more of your people are engaged the better will be your organisations performance, and stakeholder or shareholder value. So, leadership and management get to it!

https://www.adeo.ie/index.php/quiet-quitting-just-a-new-term-for-an-ongoing-problem/

• Advertisement

That’s not the point though, because it’s not just a question of measuring productivity, there are dozens of metrics which apply depending upon the industry and the nature of employment. Productivity and efficiency aren’t the only measures which matter, especially in Corporate US of A where they’re very concerned with Corporate Social Responsibility. This isn’t a deflection from productivity measures, it’s pointing out that productivity is just one measure, efficiency is just as important, CSR is just as important again.

It wasn’t a fringe example, it’s just that Martin made the comparison between myself and himself, and I was making the point that you can’t do hypothetical idealistic comparisons like that. I just didn’t need to use a tape recorder any more when I could record meetings with Sound Recorder on the phone, and now Teams does live, in-line transcriptions, it’s great 😁

As a Microsoft Teams admin, you want Teams to be as inclusive of people with disabilities as possible. According to the WHO, 1 billion people in the world have a disability. Additionally, much of disability is invisible, like hearing loss, dyslexia, and autism. You will want to proactively consider these users with disabilities as you make decisions about your Teams environment. Microsoft Teams includes numerous features--including captioning of live video, real-time transcription of meetings, support for sign-language interpreters, adaptive backgrounds, and in-meeting chat that give your users a great amount of flexibility in how they engage with your Teams environment. In this module, we'll look at how to enable Teams to make your environment more flexible--and more inclusive.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/m365-teams-accessibility/

Far from the “fringe” that you’ve so casually dismissed as though it shouldn’t warrant consideration.

Twas you who laid out the specifics - speak to the boss, leave, don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you etc

Il head on at 5 you don't mind staying to lock up sure you do it every night

That’s not what’s being referred to here though as “quietly quitting”. Those who are “quietly quitting” are staying in their employment, but looking to be congratulated and praised on social media for doing the bare minimum to maintain their employment. It’s a shìtty way of going on, whereas at least the people in the article above left that employment and moved onto something better or something new which was more suited to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,983 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But that's not quiet-quittting.

Quiet quitting would be to never go on a call or incident that might still be going at Xpm. Find an excuse to get out of it, every time.

These were the specifics I was referring to -

Say it takes a year to gain the necessary new or upskill to allow someone to change job what do you think they should do in the meantime?

Actually the course doesn't start until spring so realistically itl be at least 18 months before they are ready to search for the dream job they have unskilled to get. 

In the mealtime the bills need to be paid though don't they so you go burst your bollox for nothing and il tip away at the minimum while planning something bigger and better and getting paid all along.

That’s why I suggested taking stock of where you are now, and comparing it with where you were five years ago.

Security staff are employed to do lockup Tom, it’s quite literally in their job description.

I worked with a team in Sydney years ago where the company policy was taxi fare home could be expensed if you worked after 8pm. Most of my team spent the morning browsing clothes sites etc then worked til 8 for a free lift home. I bailed at 5 to go to the beach. They might have thought I was quiet quitting, but I was just living my life.

Security staff?

Not everyone works in an office block Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Degrees have always been piss easy to obtain. Colleges dont want the hassle.

I know that Tom, it’s just when you said you’d be heading on at 5, leaving me to lock up. My employers aren’t that tight-arsed just yet that they’ve got me doing security too.

(I probably wouldn’t be very good tbf 😂)

• Advertisement

There's multiple interpretations of quiet quitting. You've chosen to be entirely negative about it.

One interpretation is just doing the contracted hours. Turning off at 5pm. Which implies there's an expectation of working for free on a continuous basis.

Advertisement