Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mountbatten - paedophile?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This is a letter by a man who has worked on the subject for a long time..

Dear Sir,

It is natural and admirable that John Barry should seek to defend Lord Mountbatten, who employed him, his mother and brother but, just because Mountbatten’s ‘family, friends, staff and local staff’ saw no paedophile activity, it does not mean that it did not happen. By its very nature such proclivities are kept private. In fact my research shows that only one member of staff was well aware what was happening but chose to remain silent.

If he reads my book ‘The Mountbattens: Their Lives and Loves’, rather than dismiss my findings as “implausible fictional claims” , he will see I have produced extensive evidence to back up my claims of Mountbatten’s paedophilia.

Stories about Mountbatten’s proclivities have circulated in the media for over forty years including accounts in Private Eye and the International Times where the newspaper proprietor Cecil King described Mountbatten as a “sexual pervert”. There was also a report in Now Magazine in 1990 where the Northern Ireland author Robin Bryans claimed that “leading British establishment figures were in a vice ring which abused boys from the notorious Kincora Home in East Belfast” and named Mountbatten as one of them. It also reported that Mountbatten “was particularly attracted to boys in their early teens”. Bryans in private correspondence, which I have seen, wrote that “Kincora and Portora Boys’ Schools were used as homosexual brothels by many prominent figures, including Lord Mountbatten”. Joseph de Burca in Village Magazine has written extensively about Mountbatten’s paedophile networks.

In my book I reproduce FBI files going back to 1944 with interviews with people in Mountbatten’s circle . One, the American writer and society figure, Baroness Decies, when interviewed on another matter reported ‘that Lord Louis Mountbatten was known to be a homosexual with a perversion for young boys’. Interestingly I was told that other FBI files I had requested under Freedom of Information legislation had been destroyed – after I requested them.

Mountbatten’s wartime driver Norman Nield is on record saying he “was ordered to take young boys who had been procured for the admiral to his official residence in Lord Mountbatten’s Humber car” . According to Nield, Mountbatten, known as LL, used brandy and lemonade to help seduce the boys, who ranged in age from 8 to 12.

I interviewed two boys who said they were abused by Mountbatten. Knowing of the controversy their testimony would generate, I was particularly keen to ensure what they said was true. Everything I could check was found to be accurate but clearly these were recollections over forty years after the event. One boy was abused in Classiebawn’s boathouse, away from the house, another in a local hotel where before the days of cctv it was very easy for a visitor to nip briefly upstairs. I have never suggested that boys stayed at Classiebawn castle itself let alone overnight.

Contrary to claims, one has gone public with his claims and has brought legal action which is almost concluded. I am hoping he will shortly appear in a television programme on Mountbatten.

Likewise my interviewee had agreed to participate in the HIA Inquiry but the Inquiry served several hundred pages of information on his solicitors just before the weekend prior to his appearance at the Inquiry. His solicitors rightly told the Inquiry that, in the time allowed, it was impossible for them to read and study all the documents, let alone advise him properly. 

In ‘The Mountbattens’,  I reveal that Mountbatten was probably himself abused as a teenager by a bachelor clergyman Frederick Lawrence Long who acted as a private tutor.

On legal advice, some material was removed from my book , referring to Mountbatten’s paedophilia and murder, which further supported my paedophilia claims. I hope at some stage that material can be restored.

Various people have contacted me since my book was published last year providing fresh evidence of Mountbatten’s activities and I also hope to incorporate that testimony in future editions.

One has to ask why so many files from Kincora still remain closed after all this time, why files scheduled for release several years ago are still held by government departments and were not supplied to the relevant abuse inquiries and why the Garda have refused to supply the car logs for Classiebawn for August 1977 when the boys were abused. Why not? What is there to hide?

Many files on Mountbatten’s murder remain closed forty years later and questions remain. Why was his security reduced in 1979 and his boat no longer watched when it was known there was an enhanced threat that year and there had been recent attempts on his life, including an attempt to place a bomb on Shadow V? Why was the bodyguard Graham Yuill’s security audit warning of threats in July 1979 ignored and he quickly reposted to Hong Kong? Might it be possible, for whatever reason, that Mountbatten did not want too much security?

For years friends, family and staff claimed Mountbatten was not bisexual. My book, drawing on dozens of sources, shows that was not true. I fear the same campaign by supporters is being mounted again on another issue trying to smear Mountbatten’s two brave victims with the Carl Beech brush. I have always dismissed Beech as either a complete fantasist or someone who received a large amount of money to invent his absurd stories to discredit genuine survivors of sex abuse. It is now well known that Beech had massive funds available to him, far more than he could have earned or saved.

I am a Cambridge-trained historian who follows the evidence and stand by what I have written.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Andrew Lownie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

We will probably find out he was in Apache Pizza in Kiltimagh on any alleged dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Kevin Myers has made a career out of writing controversial articles , managing to get accused of both misogyny and antisemitism to the point he had to apologise and can no longer writarlue for a couple of newspapers.

He could have similarly written military critiques on Market Garden , the Warsaw Uprising , the Dresden Firsetorm etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mountbatten was a known child abuser going back to the 50s.

It's like posting a revelation about Jimmy Saville at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nah man, the difference being at least with Saville he was found guilty of abusing children.

(he wasn’t, that was my mistake)

There’s nothing but gossip and rumours so far in this thread, nothing substantive, nothing credible. What IS common knowledge however, is that their political opponents liked to smear anyone with the paedo label, making it that much more difficult to determine who was, and wasn’t abusing children, and who was just trying to inflict reputational damage on their political opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Made the same error myself. Only one kid was local/not related. Not that that stops some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Paul Maxwell was from Enniskillen.

He was 15 when he was killed by an IRA bomb which was placed on Mountbatten's boat.

This is his picture in school uniform.

• Advertisement

To err is human, to forgive is devine

Nobody's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It was the worst day in troubles for British for losses I think.

Warrenpoint really showed how IRA had developed as a guerrilla force. They placed a bomb in a hay trailer and denotated it from safety across the water in Co Louth when the Army Patrol passed.

They had realised after an incident the Army normally set up command in nearest building. In this case the castle had been rigged with explosives.

This is what killed most of the soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

A brilliant ambush, it's such a pity about the innocent lives lost that day in Warrenpoint and Mullaghmore, there's no excuse for the cowardly murders that happened that day

Post edited by Still stihl waters 3 on

Always was suprised their wasn't more made of British paratroopers firing live rounds across the border into the state,what other country would put up with this

Though the memorial at warrenpoint hasn't been damaged since Willie Frazier went to his eternal reward🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

They killed one civilian that day who they saw in the distance and assumed was responsible. I cannot remember which side of the border he was on.

Ironically it was an English chap on holiday in the region as I recall.

War is not a nice or clean business. The IRA in the North had about 7 of 10 it killed being involved in the State or military. Incredibly high.

Not much comfort to the unfortunates innocents who died.

Mountbatten and the soldiers in Warrenpoint found that their actions caught up with them. It was a great success.

Ironically the civilian killed in Warrenpoint was an Englishman fishing. He was shot by a soldier, little did he realise that his Army had an open season policy on the natives when on duty in Ireland.

He was standing on the shore in County Louth.

Pretty impressive kill of the Lady Dowager Mountbatten, all of 83 years .

Her actions definitely caught up with her.

Like I said it was not ideal, no conflict ever is, the day overall was a good one for the Irish forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nope, Saville was never convicted of abusing kids or anyone at all for that matter. He died before he could be charged as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A woman who happily lived off the wealth stolen by empire.

Fck her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I thought it was a man up from kerry with a relation on a holiday, I'm sure I saw it lately on the television, I'm more than likely mistaken tho

Have any victims come forward after all of this time? We constantly hear of the UK toffs being serial and organised child molesters but evidence and victims always appears thin on the ground.

I’ve no reason to defend or condemn Mountbatten - these stories have been floating for decades and were even part of the storyline in a bank heist film a number of years ago - I guess as time goes on, rumour moves to fact.

And the kids who died ?

If you think about it , putting a bomb on a pleasure boat is going to only end up with civilians dead unless you have talent of a Mossad operative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Myers appears to argue that Mounbatten was an arrogant and incompetent spoofer.

I don't know about the paedophile allegations, but there were strong rumours that Mountbatten was gay and that his marriage was a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Somebody should introduce Myers to the black kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Wow that's dynamite. Interesting that he suspects Mountbatten was himself an abuse victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

@Plentyohtoole.

According to Andrew Lownie, two alleged victims have come forward. I do share your scepticism though. A lot of the allegations about British establishment figures being child molesters turned out to be rubbish. One of the most prominent accusers, Carl Beech (he didn't make allegations against Mountbatten specifically but against other establishment figures, including Ted Heath) turned out to have peadophiliac inclinations himself. Beech's tall tales were treated with undue credence by the police and parts of the British press back in 2014/2015. I see from the above letter that Lownie claims always to have been sceptical of Beech. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So you support summary execution for "living off the wealth stolen by empire".

It may be news to you that Mary Lou McDonald said last year that she is sorry that bombing happened.

As for the Dowager Lady Brabourne, her family name was Browne and she grew up in Westport.

She had two sons, one was executed by the SS following a failed escape attempt after he was wounded and taken prisoner fighting the Nazis in Italy in 1943.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting read. The claim that Mountbatten's personal security in Mullaghmore was mysteriously weakened in 1979 is intriguing....the writer wonders if Mountbatten himself may have been the person responsible for it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mountbatten was definitely arrogant and incompetent in equal measure, during WW2 as an Admiral in the invasion of Dieppe in France he sent a few thousand men to their deaths in a huge military fcuk up. He had appointed a Cuban racing car driver as his head of military intelligence and thousands of soldiers got massacred

Dieppe was a bad target. It involved a beach, a sea wall and a tourist esplanade with coastal gun emplacements. The idea was to land the Canadians and the British on an 11-mile front, the main attack centred on the port itself. Tanks and troops would be disembarked and then take the town in a frontal strike. It was doomed from the start.

On the way over the Allies ran into a German convoy and exchanged shots. The enemy alerted the garrison at Dieppe. Apprised of the danger all the defenders had to do was check their ammunition, stir their coffee and wait. The tanks duly hit the beach – which had been poorly surveyed using some holiday snapshots – and were immediately bogged down in the shingle. They were sitting ducks for German artillery. Infantry were scythed down by machine-gun fire from pillboxes.

The attack became suicidal.

Commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel “Tigger” Phillips signalled to those following him that they should turn back but his warning was unseen or misunderstood and he was soon killed. BY 11am Operation Jubilee had turned into a massacre. Over seven hours 3,369 of the 4,963 Canadians sent to Dieppe were killed, wounded or captured. The British Army lost about 250 men, the Royal Navy 550. All the tanks, a destroyer and 100 planes were lost – double the Luftwaffe’s numbers.High up the ladder of command in England the buck was passed with lightning speed.

The cemetery outside Dieppe is full of Canadian boys in their late teens and early 20s who were later blamed for their lack of training. One senior British officer even remarked on their poor conversational skills but experts now agree that even the most seasoned troops wouldn’t have stood a chance. It was the old First World War story of lions led by donkeys, the donkey-in-chief being Churchill’s darling Admiral Louis Mountbatten, who as Director of Combined Operations was fully responsible for the fiasco. Mountbatten had put in charge of the raid’s military intelligence a racing driver playboy chum, the Marquis de Casa Maury, a totally unqualified amateur from Cuba.

The blame, however, was shifted on to the Canadian task force commander Major-General John Roberts, who himself was the victim of poor information and the communications breakdown that characterised the day’s events. Partly thanks to Dieppe, there has been a major shift in the perception of Mountbatten’s character in recent years. Historian Andrew Roberts has dealt the hardest hammer blow to his reputation. He has convincingly depicted “Dickie” Mountbatten as a psychopathically ambitious, vain, disingenuous, manipulative adrenaline junkie and a man who was utterly careless of other people’s lives.

Whether this view is fully justified is debatable but even at the time of Dieppe many military people were wary of Dickie’s cronyism and mad gung-ho schemes. At the Admiralty he was known as the “Master of Disaster”.

https://archive.ph/NHCFy#selection-561.0-663.58

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement