Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But what’s so special about that, that it needs it’s own name, that it even needs to be celebrated on social media as an achievement? It’s called doing your job. Well done, adult achievement unlocked? It’s a silly TikTok meme, sooner it dies off the better and we can all get back to work 😒😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Virtue signalling spam is also a deflection.

It was simple example about productivity. People avoiding such questions is so typical as to be a meme from a movie.

No one takes social media seriously.

Its just a reflection on work practises. Old as the hills. Hence all these ancient examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I can work with a grad who knows very little but wants to learn, I will train them up quickly. I enjoy that

But those who are lazy I can't deal with them, I warn them once only then the bullet

It wasn’t a simple example about productivity though, that’s the problem. It was Martin inventing a hypothetical scenario which suited his own purposes, and I was bringing some reality to the comparison.

What else would you call it when people want recognition for doing nothing?

• Advertisement

In fairness HR speak, is to let people know.

He said employers do have to notify employees if they are required to work overtime, "but if you're going to leave at 5pm on the dot regardless, well then the employer needs to know about it".

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0826/1319012-quiet-quitting-the-work-trend-taking-over-tiktok/

Couldn't have been more simple. Then you started with blind dog ate my homework...

Are they doing "nothing" or their contracted job and hours.

They’re doing nothing. Their contracted job and hours is what they’re being employed for and compensated for in accordance with their terms and conditions of employment already. They want praise and recognition from their peers on social media, for not even doing that much.

This is why, apart from LinkedIn, I don’t connect with my team on social media. I don’t think I’d like them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Hopefully your team don't let you down.

Your posts give an impression that you are worried your team might begin their own version of quiet quitting.

Is that at all accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Its called push back and they are using social media to promote it.

Its a bit people who virtue signal they are working late or in early at every opportunity. Same thing.

Or people who virtue signal that they’re working at all, those bastards are the worst for us “turn on, tune in, drop out” countercultural types raging against the machine 🤙

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Which is awful.

"I'm paid to be here until 5pm, not a minute more."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

It's all about balance in situations like yours. I trust you leave early some days too? Finishing late all the time sets a bad example for your team and puts implied pressure on them to do the same. I hope they are capable of working independently and are not over reliant on you.

I'm on the fence about it. Some people like to do everything to a tight schedule or have other commitments that ad hoc work requests play havoc with. They got to run to get a train etc.

My wish to wrap something up is often no more important than their other commitments.

Some people like to schedule things at inconvenient times as a power thing. Meetings unreasonably late or early.

Lots of ways this comes into play.

Well it easy much easier to be "seen" in the office. Remotely you've got to take a song and dance about it.

It's not like theres metrics. Or if there are anyone's looking at them.

Yes, it’s easier to be seen in the office and it’s easier to collaborate with work colleagues. I get the distinct impression from some posters here that they imagine they’re being watched over, as if management doesn’t have jobs of their own to do and performance targets of their own to be achieved. They’re as far as sticking it to the man goes for anyone with those ideas, because anyone above that again don’t feel a thing. It’s not hurting them at all.

Of course there are metrics, some people do look at them and pore over them incessantly. I personally don’t, unless I’ve to put a presentation together or I’m doing performance plans something like that, I’ve plenty more to be doing besides. I hated the whole remote working thing btw, much preferred being back in the office because it made that separation and boundaries between work and home life explicit and it didn’t feel like work was an intrusion into my private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

i did exactly as you described its a case of a favour today becomes a task tomorrow. I loved the worked and the profits i made but they never had enough if i made 100 k they would ask how can we make 200 k this 1/4 so they were insatiable & very greedy. That combined with exhaustion made me leave and an illiterate manager who asked me to proof his emails for spelling s & grammar prior to sending them to the big guys !! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I say exactly this to people who max out their pension contribution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

To an extent a lot of the workplace problems are white collar issues.

Have been very active in construction, but there wouldn’t be a prayer of getting guys to do a Saturday and not get paid. It is a huge achievement of someone to have what we might call white collar work culture so focused on employers that people will routinely work for free. I’m fairly sure quiet quitting will hit white collar work most.

For me...

A dislike of remote working and or wfh is (in my recent experience) almost always associated with productivity measured by time in seat.

Likewise a dismissive attitude to working for free (going above and beyond) but a complete lack of flexibility with time keeping, working hours otherwise. A one way street as it were.

I can entirely appreciate some dislike remote working. Fair enough each to their own.

As for tracking some places have senior managers walking the floor doing head counts. Or software that tracks when the computer is inactive for x mins. That wouldn't be needed if output and productivity was tracked instead. So it infers they don't.

Construction industry has it’s own set of issues with the exploitation of immigrant workers tbh.

You’re mad for the oul’ productivity, but I’m wondering does efficiency factor into these metrics of yours at all?

That’s not a deflection, it means achieving the same productive output with less resources, ie - managing that employee who is self-congratulating themselves for just about meeting what is expected of them, out of the organisation. Because that’s what I’d be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The idea of doing as little as possible has been around for a long time but like conspiracy theorists, the advent of social media amplifies this behaviour. So that explains the how, but not the why.

The real issue is essentially the breakdown in the social contract. Young people were sold the idea that you get an education, get a job, work hard and you'll be rewarded with a nice home and a decent standard of living. Young people are now looking at this thinking no matter how hard I work, what I was sold is completely unattainable, so I'll just accept this and check out of chasing it. It is logical.

The push back against it here is interesting though because if you really believed pushing yourself, going above and beyond was the route to success, hearing that people are dropping out would mean you have less competition. We know however that it isn't the route to success, frequent job switching and ruthless self promotion and networking is a far more successful strategy.

The original TikTok is just more social media rubbish. People shouldn't be triggered by it unless it touches a nerve.

Most contracts have a clause about working outside regular hours when required. So it's not like you can avoid it if asked. People will vote with their feet and leave if it gets too much.

I think it would mostly only effect who make last minute ad hoc requests and those who have to respond to them. Most people will have their own way of dealing with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It brings attention to others that you shouldn't work for free, some people needed to be reminded of this. If you work extra time and it actually benefits your career great, but many people are staying on after there finish time and will get nothing in return.

I get that’s the explanation for it, but it just looks like it’s participants are more interested in breeding resentment and portraying what they’re doing as being virtuous. Contrary to Flinty’s take on it, there aren’t many interpretations, there is only one -

The phrase first picked up steam on TikTok, workers' new digital town square. In essence, quiet quitting is doing your job as it's written — and maintaining firm boundaries otherwise. That means no overtime and prioritizing the bare minimum requirements. For many workers, it's a way to make work more sustainable in the long term. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/quiet-quitting-boss-backlash-shows-some-managers-always-expected-overwork-2022-8?amp

It’s slacktivism. They aren’t even highlighting the issue of the exploitation of workers or employees, it appears to be entirely centred on showing themselves off as easily as possible, ironically demonstrating their own work ethic.

• Advertisement

Fair enough about slacktivism. Its not really any significance.

From the article you linked to.

"There is a large portion of the workforce that went above and beyond, over the course of time, but particularly during the pandemic, and received absolutely no reward for that — and maybe actually lost something in the process," Gross said. "So if there is no incentive to exceed expectations, you should never expect people to go above and beyond."

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Lockdown forced people to rapidly learn something that normally takes more experience and longer to realise. Its mostly of no value to you. Which is why they won't reward you for it. I'm not saying its never worth it. Just not very often. Its easy to know if you will be rewarded for that effort by looking back at how you were rewarded the previous times you did it. If you were rewarded then you're more likely to do it again. If not then people won't. Its that simple.

Advertisement