Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Is it? How much of an organisation like the HSE or UCD is made up of “bullshit jobs” and how much is the people actually delivering the service? I know that the figures for most of our universities are shocking.

And it will probably be accepted, because people like you haven't got the cojones to actually put up a real fight for what is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't agree that it is right. I agree wages should match inflation but the current situation isn't normal.

Also, how don't i have the "cojones"? I can afford this winter with or without any pay increase. I'm very lucky but i am not going to go on strike on principle when I don't think getting a better deal is realistic.

If the union recommends i accept the deal, i will. If they recommend i strike, I'll vote to strike. They are the experts and know if getting more is realistic or not.

I can afford this winter with or without any pay increase.

So can I, but that's not the point. Not everyone can afford it. Inflation is running way ahead of pay and anything less is effectively a pay cut.

It's your vote, you can do what you want.

But maybe stop and consider those not in as comfortable position when casting your vote. Its easy to vote to accept from a position of comfort.

If you reject the deal, people will be in a worse off position. Nothing will be done before the mega bills kick in.

I'll follow the guidance of the unions, is that not a sensible position to take? It's also not my responsibility to consider the effect it has on other people. At the end of the day, i only really care about my own pocket.

• Advertisement

It's also not my responsibility to consider the effect it has on other people. At the end of the day, i only really care about my own pocket.

So why be a part of the union at all?

If all you care about is your own pocket, you'd save yourself money on the subscription fees.

I am part of a union because they represent me and there is strength in numbers. When deciding on whether to accept a deal, I consider my own position. There would be exceptions but not in this instances.

Can you explain how I don't have the cojones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You're disproving your own claim there. These initiatives are about embedding performance management into normal operations, so each line manager has an annual (at least) discussion with their employees about performance last year and plans for next year - the very essentials of performance management as seen in all kinds of businesses, large and small. It absolutely is not " all the public-sector staff whose entire job is devoted to auditing in various ways those who do the actual work". There is no 'auditing in various ways' here, just line managers managing the work of those who report to them.

What are the figures for our universities please? Which particular jobs are BS jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The BS jobs, under David Graeber's definition, are those that could disappear and it would make no difference to anyone. I suggest you read his book on the subject. They are, of course, not limited to the public sector. Far from it. And one needn't look far to find lots of examples.

The putting in place of performance management systems most certainly does require a special cadre of administrators to run it. And that is but one of many auditing--generally defined--programmes. And the general point I'm making is: large parts of the public sector are overmanaged, not undermanaged. And overmanagement makes them less efficient, not more. But I'm guessing you are a manager of some sort... What's the line about the impossibility of making someone understand something when his pay packet depends on not understanding it?

As for the universities, they tend to keep this information close to the chest, but in 2010, in response to an Oireachtas query, the HEA put out figures showing, for example, that at UCD, 58% of staff were non-academic; at TCD it was 61%, at UCC 59%, etc. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the non-academic numbers have exploded while academic numbers (and ratios of academics to students) have declined in the years since. To be fair, this is a documented phenomenon throughout the West (see: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fall-Faculty-Benjamin-Ginsberg/dp/0199975434/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2KL1IU29MTKKA&keywords=the+all-administrative+university&qid=1661703037&sprefix=the+all-administrative+university%2Caps%2C50&sr=8-1).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

• Advertisement

You're willing to accept a low ball offer, of 5% this year, and 5% next year, even though you must know that in truth that it should be a lot higher.

I see that as a lack of cojones.

The Government will walk into that meeting tomorrow and make a low ball offer, because they know people like you will just accept it, rather than play hard ball.

So much for "power in numbers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

10% this year, as I stated above.

Oh, don't worry, I know it won't happen, not when our own Union and its members don't have the teeth to fight for a real increase that wont be instantly swallowed by inflation.

But I'll voting against anything less, as a matter of principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The public sector is subject to a lot more oversight than the private sector. There is a lot of time and resources spent answering parliamentary questions, processing FOI requests, dealing with representations from the public, attending PAC meetings, dealing with judicial reviews etc.

The number of staff required overall to provide core services would be a lot smaller but for the additional oversight requirements as a result of public monies being managed and spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Reject the offer and when the **** hits the fan for SMEs this winter leading to unemployment ad reduced tax take you will end up with nothing because the money generators will be out of business

I do not think it is a low ball offer and i dont think we should get more. There's no point in playing hard ball if you're not going to win.

I don't understand you and you don't understand me but I'm not going to insult you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've lived with performance management systems in four different public bodies over the past 20 years. None of them have 'a special cadre of administrators to run it'. You're talking through your hat. The systems are run by line managers. In civil service, there is an ePMDS system used. HR managers (not 'a special cadre of administrators, the same HR managers that do everything else HR related) run reports a few times a year and nudge the managers who haven't completed their works. It works in the same way as performance management systems in most large organisations, public or private.

Are you saying that non-academic jobs are BS jobs? Who do you think manages payroll, procures the equipment, schedules the exams, cuts the grass and cleans the toilets?

You're remarkably vague in supporting your claim of all the BS jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Theyve literally done a low ball offer. 5% this year and 5 next year would be a significant offer which a lot would be happy to take. Less of the cojones shite.

Right so, you agree wages should match inflation (currently 9.2%?) ... but for some reason you don't think we should get more than 5%, this year, and have to wait 12 months for part 2.

So basically, you're agreeing to what is effectively a paycut for the next year.

So no, I don't understand why you would agree to that, and no, of course "we" won't get more when the attitude is "what's the point in trying?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

My best guess is an offer of 4% this year and another 2.5% next year. I just don't see how they'll go any higher and yes I know it amounts to a pay cut.

This would have been so much easier to sort out months ago when inflation was lower.

I think in normal circumstances, yes, wages should track inflation. However, we are not in normal circumstances. Expecting a 10% raise in one year seems crazy to me. Inflation can be matched over a number of years. Energy prices will come down at some point.

I think wanting a rise equal to inflation ignoring the contribution of energy is reasonable and possible. The government can argue they will have special provisions to help with energy for everyone in the budget. Which is reasonable.

Your arguing i should consider the lower income workers when casting my vote but should also reject anything less than inflation on principle. Which is it? Accept a reasonable deal which might ease the financial burden on lower income workers? Or stand by my "principles" (what ever the f*ck that means) and reject a reasonable offer from the government that unions say is the best possible under the circumstances?

I am part of a union. I pay my fee. I will listen to the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭combat14

Govt to make revised public sector pay offer - McGrath

after waiting months to come back to talks ... looks like govt. will use impending budget being already decided excuse to give sweet feck all to govt. workers..

if he thinks hard pressed workers will accept a paltry offer with inflation running at 9+% with projections heading much higher than that he could be very much mistaken ..

Sorry, I don't share in your optimism. This so called "reasonable deal" you think is going to happen will probably net low income workers in the C&PS less in their take home pay each week than the increases those on social welfare can expect from the next budget.

You're prepared to accept a deal without knowing what is being offered there.

Some people don't have a few years to wait for their wages to catch up with inflation - they are struggling NOW. Why should energy costs be ignored? Especially when energy suppliers are announcing more huge increases in energy costs this winter from 1st October - ironically the date the paltry 1% already offered is due to be paid.

It is always the C&PS that is expected to wait for the crumbs of the table. Well, I'm not accepting crumbs or any quick deal and vague promises of whats to come in the budget this time around.

If you don't accept the deal, low income workers will suffer more but we should not accept anything less than 10% (inflation). Your own position contradicts itself.

5% helps people. Striking on principle and getting 0% helps nobody.

We don't know what the deal is, we dont know what the unions will suggest, we are both speculating.

It's called holding out for a better offer, and if the offer on the table tomorrow is yet another stupidly low offer like 5% for the next 12 months, then I'll be rejecting it, yes.

You do you.

Thankfully youll be in the minority. 5% isnt stupidly low. Christ.

Maybe I am. And 5% is stupidly low with inflation running at almost double that, and we've been warned to expect it to continue to rise into next year. Accepting 5% is what would be stupid.

Did we get a paycut for deflation? Our salary is not intrinsically linked to either inflation or deflation. Id be delighted with 5 , i personally think theyll offer less.

• Advertisement

And deflation happens how often?!?! You're listening too much to private sector heads posting on here.

And maybe you weren't around for the last ten years when the C&PS had their hours increased without pay and without entitlement to have that extra time counted towards the calculation of annual leave or service? Basically the equivalent of 2 weeks work every year, for free, after already having their pay cut to pay for the mess made by private sector last time around. So spare me any crap about deflation.

Advertisement