Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

But a smart meter should be by default used as a day/night if u want. Its actually mental that u need to get a day night when u have a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

It seems mental that smart time of use plans can't just be charged per day night rates, if they can provide a day/night plan at the rates provided, presumably without making a loss, why can't they provide smart plans at the same rates? Especially when they can charge specifically for the most expensive electricity periods on the smart meter where it has to be absorbed into the overall costs of day night.

Seems like they are just using the fact we will all eventually end up on smart meters and day night will probably go away, so bump up the baseline price now and we are all ultimately a captive market in waiting.

CRU claim they can do nout as pricing is unregulated here in Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's madness, really short sighted.

Also no migration path for current day night meters either. As they can't just "move" you to another tariff. (Without prior agreement)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its a bit disconcerting switching to that plan and hoping its fixed. The T&C's clearly says the price can vary but I know everyone says it has been fixed for them.

The only place where I see a difference between it and other plans is the screen where you signup

See where it says "Fixed 12 month contract".

If you try any of the other plans it shows "Variable" in that line.

But everywhere else in the T&C's it says nothing about fixed and says price can change. I dunno.... fingers crossed.

I wonder is it a mistake by Energia's billing system or something! Im not due to change for another few weeks but I pulled the trigger anyway after seeing the unbelievable Airtricity increase (a 20c night rate!! 😭).

I have always found Airtricity and Energia to be rather close in terms of price and I bounce between them so I think that can only mean all the others are also due a large hike as Airtricity are so uncompetitive now it cant be the case that the others aren't going to increase as well to match them.

If this plan is truly fixed it could be the best in the market in a few weeks... but its a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just built a house last year and I requested a day night meter on the connection application. I "assumed" that the meter they would install would be a smart meter and I could just use day/night rate....but no they installed a D/N meter.

I have 6.1kW PV and an EV and would like a smart meter and have requested one now but I don't know when will I get it.

Before people say don't you are crazy!!!...I am with EI and there is no difference between their smart rates and ordinary rates. They might be a bit higher than the rest but my missus works for ESBN so we get a staff discount that even things out.

Just want to use their EV rate and get proper record of what I export for FIT.

Edit, I am almost sure also on the ESBN new connection application there isn't a selection for requesting a smart meter. I would have selected that at the time. Put in new connection application around Q1 2021

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

@KCross

See this post which is part of the email Energia sent. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119523804/#Comment_119523804

Under “please note” it is unambiguously stated that unit rates are fixed for the length of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sent Airtricity my cooling off form and signed up to Energia there. I should follow my own advice and just stick to the cheapest at the time of switching as it won't matter when they all go up over the course of a year. This year I paid €641 for 1,828kWh, the previous year was €517 for 2,016kwh. All I can do is switch to keep some sort of discount, the rest is out of my hands! Be interesting to see my usage once I get an EV.

Suggest you read the last few pages of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Hang on a sec, the staff discount makes all the difference here!

Their standard "Electricity Nightsaver 30%" is 23.41c day, 11.55c night, €396.89 urban standing charge and urban EAB €1187.

Their equivalent standard smart tariff, 32.2c day, 16.92c night, 34.34c peak, €302.92 urban standing charge and urban EAB €1469.

That's €282 a year more expensive just on EAB - granted, their SST gives you €282 "cashback", but off the bar more expensive for exactly the same power.

However need to bear in mind that EAB's were developed before EV and heatpumps were typical so the difference will be much larger again, for example:

A heatpump might be an additional 4,000-6,000kWh a year.

An EV an additional 2,550kWh a year for an average Irish personal mileage of 17,000KM a year at 15kWh/100KM.

If you could run all that at night rate, you'll pay nearly €500 a year extra for the exact same electricity (8,550 * 0.0537 = €459.14 difference).

But in reality, the heatpump will run during the day as well, and there may be occasions you'll have to charge the car outside of nightrate as well so that figure may be higher again.

Alternatively, their "Home Electric+Night Boost" is 31.6c day, 15.6c night, 9.69c "boost", €396.89 urban standing charge also with €150 "cashback".

Nightsaver gives 11.55c for 9 hours each night, while HE+NB gives 9.69c for just 2 hours. That will barely give 100KM of usable range on most EV's (7.2kW * 2 hours = 14.4kW of charge) and then you're back paying a higher night unit rate for the rest, along with the punitive day rate.

Is there any chance your missus could find out why smart meter plans are so much more expensive than their day/night equivalents? 😉

It's the case across the board for all suppliers, is there some underlying reason why?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Has anybody recently had a night saver meter installed?

I have requested one from my provider and am now waiting for the meter to be scheduled by ESB Networks.

Any idea how long between requesting meter and having it installed? Is it a week or a month or ???

Thanks,

Mike

• Advertisement

Electric Ireland requested one for me but it wasn't scheduled, when I called ESB a few weeks later I was given an appointment for the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

they should be able to give you an appointment while on the phone. i had mine installed within days of requesting one earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭John arse

Am starting to pay attention more to standing charges,big differences🤔

How so? Only Electric Ireland is an extreme outlier. The other three of the "big 4" are within 10% of each other on the urban plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

EI booked a request for me with ESBN, but it took a call to ESBN to get any traction. The official SLA is 4-5 weeks, and I rang up in week 4 (like a mug) and the request was immediately scheduled for 2 days later.

Lesson learned on how ESBN implement demand management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frankthetank83

Did Energia confirm that the unit rate is fixed for 1 year? I don't think it is. This tariff has day rate of 39.76c and night rate of 11.45c before discounts and I'm pretty sure these are variable rates i.e. if they announce a change to prices, these rates will increase and you get 31% discount on the new higher rates. Anyone else have experience with this?

Confirmed in writing. Document posted earlier in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's false, it's confirmed in T+C on signing up that the actual c/kWh is fixed for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

BG giving me the runaround here about changing from my smart meter to a day night meter. They told me to ring esbn which I did, esbn said that there's no problem changing but the request needs to come from BG. I rang BG back and got the dumbest numpty in the office who says the computer says no, he faffed around for a while and then hung up... God this is heartbreaking, I'll take a break and try again later. Any tips lads?

You have to send the request by your supplier. They should be able to make an appointment for you then and there on the phone. If that's not happening then you're talking to a fool.

• Advertisement

Ask to speak to a supervisor/manager and just say you know it can be done and to firmly ask for them to do it?

If you're on Twitter I'd say post a public tweet to them saying it can be done but it's being refused, who can help you sort of thing. Usually social media direct messages is a better portal for customer service these days.

same here - the smart plans are a rip off as with duel fuel option they pull your pants down with the GAS price.

Lads what is going on here? This needs government intervention - whatever is going on here is totally wrong............

On a smart plan the energia night rate is 18c yet on their day/night plan its 7c????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I had the exact same problem with BG a few months back.

Made 2 appointments for the change only to learn from ESBN that no appointment had been asked for by BG.

Third time got a very helpful person (in BG) who asked their supervisor to check that they made the appointment correctly, and turned out she hadn't!

She was making an appointment to change it to a 24h meter (which it already was).

ESBN cancel that request as soon as they receive it as they can see it's not an actual change that has been asked for.

So it sounded to me like there was a small box not ticked or changed by the BG people as they were putting in these requests. But they all seemed to be making the same mistake so possibly a training issue?

Anyway, third time got it done within the week.

It's because the smart meters are for people who don't know better. It's a ripoff and another way to gouge you. That was the first thing I booked when we bought our house earlier this year - smart meter removal

Government are asleep at the wheel on this. Basically if I switch from just a standard rate to a smart rate i will end up paying more even if I charge my EV during the night window because all other rates and gas price too is way higher.

The gas one is crazy - it's like they are saying "cool, you can charge you car cheap enough but we will ride you in extra gas fees"

It's not a governmental issue or a regulatory issue. The market is deregulated and has been for 10 years at this point, from a domestic supply POV, and much longer for other sectors.

Clearly the suppliers don't want to have smart meter customers for whatever reason and are using pricing to discourage their uptake. You'd be a fool to take a smart meter at the moment. It's totally voluntary and you can opt out. If you have an MCC02 they cannot install a different meter without your consent full stop as it would be a unilateral change to a contract between a consumer and a supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Thanks for this. I took the initiative and I rang ESBN on their customer care number and then selected 'New connections'. Met a very nice lady from their Cork office who was able to confirm that my provider had requested the night saver meter.

She then asked if I would like to schedule the change so I did and they will be with me this Wednesday afternoon.

Also, she was able to tell me that my current meter (which is 11 yrs old) has night saver capability so there will be no physical change - I will just get the existing meter re-programmed for day and night set-up.

Very easy and thanks to the contributors here for prompting this..

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

Excuse my ignorance ELM but what is an MCC02? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Afaik it’s the official code for a day/night meter

• Advertisement

Sorry for all the questions but if i move to a day/night meter will i still get paid for being a micro generator?

Was on the phone to Energia and the lad told me i couldn't get a day/night meter because i already have a smart meter installed - i would have to "call esb myself and it will cost about 3k and then they will put a smart meter in again next year"

Obviously i told him i wanted to talk to his supervisor and awaiting that call back.

Advertisement