Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 maceoin.D.

They call it "Let it rot" in China. Seems like a movement that is gaining momentum around the world. Not surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s significance is in the fact that “quiet quitting” is a passive-aggressive act for which unmotivated lazy people are looking to portray their attitudes and behaviour as virtuous.

And as for doing the same thing over and expecting different results, what they’re at has been tried before, and it is ineffective. It doesn’t change their circumstances, it doesn’t change anyone’s circumstances, and that’s why I’m critical of the idea - because it’s not doing anything, while claiming to be doing something and looking for credit for it from other people who are as fickle and short-sighted as they are.

In effect it’s simply teaching people to be selfish, like not just looking after themselves selfish, but actually selfish, and it’s not new, I’ve heard of it since I began working over 30 years ago and have heard of it in various iterations, having gone from uniform to blue collar to white collar work (smart casual makes me uncomfortable 😒).

I’ve heard it said about volunteering too, and I’ve had to listen to people on social welfare claiming that I was foolish and they’re smart because they’re getting everything for free and I’m working my ass off… but I’ve never thought of it like that in the first place, it’s an entirely different mentality, a lazy, unmotivated and selfish mentality. That’s what actually bothers me, not the idea that it might become popular, but that anyone would think it’s any way to go through life with that attitude towards others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So because I finish before you I must be cutting corners or I must be doing a bad job. Maybe I am just good at my job and able to do my work at normal times.

And maybe you’re just cutting corners and doing a bad job.

Either hypothetical answer is as likely in that hypothetical scenario, unless you’re suggesting something negative in the idea that I might take longer to complete the same task?

I don’t see how that can’t equally be applied to you in this hypothetical scenario, or is it that you place greater value on your own input than mine… which, wouldn’t come as a shock really, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement

Kettle black. You want them to do something for nothing for your own gain.

Trying to achieve this by insults and virtue signalling isn't really selling it. Rather the opposite.

I don’t care what they do or they don’t do Flinty, it’s the mentality I find detestable.

I’m not going to personally insult anyone, as long as they’re not insulting my intelligence by suggesting their actions are somehow motivated by virtue, and even then how much I care will depend upon how deeply I am actually impacted by their attitude.

It undermines a system built on being seen working, and working long hours, rather than measuring output.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maybe one person is more efficient than the other and is eliminating unnecessary steps in the process and not taking shortcuts. If a person was taking shortcuts it would be exposed. What does it matter if the person did it quicker as long as its done right? I would also be looking at the slow person to see if they need some training.

OK, to me the question is: Why have we allowed ourselves to be conditioned to think that our time/effort isn't valuable?

We are selling that to the business. They're not doing us a favour by employing us.

You're paid to provide a service. Why are we expected to cover mismanagement and understaffing?

Does business give their services out, for free?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Why are they lazy?

It's a business transaction, the business is the customer. They pay for s service and you provide it.

If they want more than the agreed output, shouldn't they pay more for the extra effort?

Would you walk into a shop, pay for something, and demand extra?

It could mean any of those things. Martin was basically offering a hypothetical scenario where nothing could be determined only that I took longer to complete the same task, and asked what extra work had I done that I took longer? The question made no sense.

Because they’re promoting the idea of just doing the bare minimum of work.

Depends upon a few factors as to whether they should or they shouldn’t. As you suggest - it’s a business transaction, so all these things are negotiable. One thing I’ve found is that some people overestimate their worth, and some people underestimate themselves.

I’d be the guy who walks out of the shop after forgetting to pay for the goods at all, especially with those self-service checkouts, I’m a hoor for it, but fortunately for me all the staff know me and they know what I’m like 😂

But seriously though, who walks into a shop and pays for anything, then demands extra? Surely you’d bargain before any trade taking place? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Maybe 15 years ago, I would have agreed with you, but I think myself and apparently a lot of other people have started to take a very different view.

I bust my ass in any job I've had over the years, usually at a management and senior level. I've had people working on my teams who have gone above and beyond, stayed late, worked unpaid overtime and taken on more tasks than they were paid for and in return have received nothing, or maybe a silly €50 One4All voucher every Christmas because senior management (above me) didn't see the 'point' in rewarding hard working staff.

Men and women sacrifice family and social life time to work more, in the desperate hope they may be considered for a promotion.

Corporations making millions and billions per year, while the average employee is struggling to pay their monthly utility bills even though they work harder than colleagues doing the "bare minimum."

And here's the thing, it's not a "bare minium". It's their job. They're paid to fulfill a service and they complete the service for the pre-negotiated rates and hours. Hospitality and customer service folks often dealing with the worst of people and get sweet **** all in return for it.

When it comes time for yet another company to do mass layoffs because they gambled wrong and lost money on something, it's the workers that suffer, and in my experience they don't care if you're the hardest working person there, they'll still cut you out to save money for the investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think you're right, it is just a label for doing the bare minimum, indeed a passive aggressive label for those that have checked out and are unmotivated.

I disagree tough that this is about doing the same thing and expecting different results, when it's a reaction to going above and beyond and not seeing results. It's a reaction to the realisation that no matter how hard you do or don't apply yourself, you are not likely to get the prize at the end - the house, the car, the stable permanent job, good life, the pension. So if it makes no odds to your outcome at the end, why would you apply yourself extra? From my own experience and observations, those that do "go the extra mile" don't get rewarded with promotions, but they just get more work. Those that do succeed are adept at playing the corporate game however.

I don't think just doing the bare minimum is particularly selfish either, when it's just the logical outcome of working in a system that doesn't care about you and won't reward you either way. What is selfish though is the boss expecting people to do them or the company favours at their own personal cost.

Are media really copy and pasting each other?

It seems to me pieces are written by a single entity, usually EU funded and then news outlets are paid to distribute the piece.

Thus we have pretty much the same news/reports/opinions word for word throughout the media.

Well they’re definitely never going to improve their situation if they’re checking out and giving up. Their employer doesn’t owe them any of that, so instead of taking it out on their employers, they should let any potential employers know from the beginning that they intend to be quietly quitting, just so everyone knows where they stand and what they’re letting themselves in for.

If they’re willing to take a principled stand like that, I expect anyone to act with integrity and be up front about it rather than engaging in a behaviour which they are fully aware is underhanded, it’s even suggesting by the name - “quietly quitting”!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

An employer shouldn't expect more than the bare minimum from their staff. If you want staff to do more, you need to put it in their job spec and pay them. The problem is if they wrote it down, no one would want the job at that salary. Why should "meets expectations" no longer be considered good enough?

Well if you are going to expect that kind of honesty from employees shouldn't you expect the same from employers. So when a company is hiring, at the outset state "you will be in X department who is carrying the workload of 7 people but only have 5 staff, including you. You will be expected to stay late on a regular basis in order to make up for the understaffing in this dept. You will not be rewarded extra for this".

Being open and honest works both ways.

You have targets set out in a yearly review. You hit those targets and there is a problem, why?

Bare minimum is what you are paid to do. If you choose to go above and give your time, for free, then that is on you. You've been conditioned to believe that your time/effort is not worth anything. You can be damned sure that they will charge the customer, for your extra time, if you're contracted out.

They will give you the very minimum level of pay/leave/benefits that they can get away with, and will make you redundant the moment it becomes beneficial for them to do so

I disagree completely with the idea that an employer shouldn’t expect more than the bare minimum from their staff! That might fly if they’re a student and it’s their first part-time job, but when it’s at the level where they’re expecting to be developing their career, then it’s not unreasonable that an employer expects more than just the bare minimum of any employee, and is entitled to ask questions when they notice an employee is disengaging or their performance is slipping.

Sure, and that way they don’t end up wasting each other’s time when the expectations are set from the outset.

• Advertisement

I do let them know that I will work to the minimum: It's called the job spec they posted. That is what they tendered for and I accepted those terms.

If they knew that those terms were dishonest, that is on them

The problem is when you’re not hitting those targets, because you’re only doing the bare minimum -

Quiet quitting can take various shapes and forms, from reduction in productivity, non-attendance at meetings and failure to contribute to team projects, to arriving late and leaving early. Employees’ reasons for going down this path can also vary, says Rachael Knappier, director of service at Croner. “[It] may occur when an employee feels undervalued in the workplace. They may feel their work-life balance is becoming problematic and that they are experiencing burnout. By dialling down the work effort, employees may feel as though they are deprioritising their jobs and redressing the balance,” she says.

https://www.peoplemanagement.co.uk/article/1795213/quiet-quitting-hr-manage-it

The rest of it is your projecting, it certainly doesn’t map to my experience.

Employers don’t expect to make anyone redundant when it suits them to do so, that’s not one of the objectives of any business. Reducing operating costs certainly, but roles are made redundant, not people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nothing is more annoying to an employee when they are told in an interview or when applying for a job they will be doing x and y but when they actually do the job they find they are doing a,b,c,d and what ever else can be dumped on them. Also the lack of loyalty from employers to employees as well where they will have a round of redundancies just to make more profit for the shareholders. The redundancies will also see employees hanging around, especially those who have done a good number of years in the company, waiting on the redundancy. I know I was in that boat, did 15 years and even though I wanted to leave, why would I when I could hang in for a bit and get a redundancy package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The reactions on this thread are quite telling, there's real hostility to people not motivated to do any extra work. And I'll bet a lot of that hostility is from people who are employees themselves.

On the other hand there are people who see through the whole culture, who realise that employees who work hard will still be let go if there's a downturn.

One thing I would say, anyone working beyond what their payed for needs to have a good reason for it. Just hoping that it'll pay off at some unspecified date really isn't enough.

The mad thing for me is that any business owner knows this, and that it'd be unreasonable to expect people to work for no extra pay or no clear benefit to themselves. It really is a giant con, and as I acknowledged previously my own businesses have benefited from it, but I can't really object to people not going along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Another thing that I find very interesting is how different sectors are.

I have two teams of blocklayers working for me at the moment. I needed a bit more progress made on a job and spoke to the guys, they gave me a new price and told me they'd do what was needed. But the new price was largely paying overtime to their lads. They knew there was no way the lads were just going to do it for free. They also knew I knew that. But I have quite a lot of office based staff, and none of them ever get paid overtime. It makes no sense at all, but for some reason white collar workers think it's somehow in their interests, or that it'll be pay off for them, or that it's their duty somehow. There isn't a hope the blocklayers would have worked on Saturday for no return. It's very strange to me that anyone thinks they should do work for free to benefit a company like mine. I mean it is very helpful, but it's also baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Worked with a lad many years ago who couldn't get the work done and used to do up to 3 hours extra for nothing even though we would get paid overtime if it went over the 8 hour shift.

Said he wanted to save the company money, few months later the boss sacked him when he wanted to get rid of a few members of staff.

Lots of lazy bastards out there who get away with it but quite a few fools as well who don't realise they are nothing more and a number to their boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The bare minimum is a really loaded term here. It's the same as "what was agreed" which is perfectly acceptable. I only get the bare minimum when I buy petrol or pay my electricity bill. My builder did a fantastic job but only did the bare minimum. If you get what you contract for you are doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You're missing the point, so here's an example.

I used to be a salesperson for a phone network. Now, let's say on a monthly basis my target on new contracts was 12 new customers per month on a 2 year contract. That is the baseline for my roll, and what I was paid to achieve each month.

Now, let's say I push through and have a great month and get 20 new contracts in that month, but I still only get paid for 12 of those and the rest are just "above and beyond", well then my motivation to do earn more money for the company is now much lower, because I'm not going to benefit from it.

So what the company starts to do is pay a reasonable commission on sales above the baseline target, suddenly I have my incentive to sign up more people, the company profits and I profit.

And no, it's not a "bare minimum", its the agreement you as an employer made with an employee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Personally, I wouldn't be rushing to slap a label on it but I get where it's coming from.

I've got a good job at the moment. No prospects but decent pay and very secure. I've got a great boss and I'm therefore happy to be flexible and do a bit more here and there where needs be. However, I always take 100% of my annual leave allowance and working beyond the 9-5 is quite rare.

In the same place, I've known postdocs sign 40 hour per week contracts only to be told that they're expected to be doing significantly more than that on a weekly basis for not one penny more. I don't get that. I've one life to live and working myself to the bone for no additional reward is senseless IMO.

I've worked crap jobs as well and had no issue doing the bare minimum. Awful bosses and sh*tty workplaces mean you'd be mad to give them any more than that since your wage will never go up. Doubly so for some large company that can and will bin you the second it thinks it can get by without your role.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Reward them so. Bollox of do it for the team. If my bank account doesn't reflect my extra effort then good luck.

I do work extra, but flexibility is the key.

There is not one job I've been in that I've got a significant pay rise with a promotion. So I left.

Advertisement