Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Hi...

Can I ask how fast a tempo run should be? Is a tempo run the same as stride?

I've seen that LSRs should be 50-60 secs slower than your PMP so should tempo/strides faster than your PMP?

So for example...

PMP - 8 Min per mile

LSR - 9 min per mile

Tempo - 7 Min per mile ? ? ?

Also I've seen some people on about a Strava group? How to find that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Tempo is a moveable feast, depending on who is talking. The Hanson marathon method describes goal marathon pace as tempo. Their half marathon plan has half marathon pace as tempo. For Pfitzinger and Douglas, tempo is different again - the pace you could race for an hour. It really depends. But a tempo run is definitely always faster than easy, but not TOO fast. Where are you seeing it? Always read the method, not just the schedule!

To join the strava group, send a private message to @Laineyfrecks with your real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

How did yous all get on today ???

the phoenix park was packed with runners today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yes, twice - and am entered for this year too.

It's a fast course, one shortish drag about 5 1/2 miles, and another about 10. Nice to finish in front of the grandstand, although the lap around the racetrack can be a bit windy out in the open. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The ratoath half is nice and flat.

it’s a bit open too crosswinds.

be aware of the sand as you come back into the racecourse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Week 9 done!

Monday 5km easy pace 6:13 / km

Tuesday 6.5km easy 6:15 / km

Wednesday 2km wu 10km PMP 1km cd

Friday 5km easy pace 6:14 / km

Saturday 26km LSR pace 6:08 / km

Good week. Thankfully a bit less drama than last week. The PMP run was probably the best so far - had a good feel for the 5:30s pace and it was comfortable. The LSR pace was a bit quicker than normal but consistent. I noticed early on and figured that I'd just slow up as run went on but never did and pace was steady for whole run. 

At the halfway mark now! 

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Weekly update

Monday - 5km @6.29 per km

Tuesday - 11 km tempo. 1km warm up, 8km paced at 5.30, 2 km warm down

Wednesday - 5km @6.17 per km

Had aimed to get some rest before the LSR at the weekend but unfortunately my house with hit with a stomach bug and i spent most of the weekend on the couch or in bed, was feeling much better yesterday but wasn't going to risk going out and potentially making myself worse or dehydrated.

Looking forward to getting back into training this week.

Has anyone any thoughts on the 3/4 marathon thats on in the start of October, its the same week as the 20 mile LSR but not sure if its a good idea or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Week 9 done as well.

I swapped out a pair of trainers and moved down a pair to use for easy. It made me realise once I did that that the retired ones were definitely due as the paces of my runs picked up without an increase in effort.

Monday 50 mins easy

Tuesday 45 steady (this was supposed to be easy/recovery but I got held up and then met company so was faster than it should have been, note taken to make sure easy is easy)

Wednesday 45 mins at pmp effort. This went really well, had the fresher trainers on and also took on a chew at the beginning and middle which probably made a slight difference to energy levels. Was happy for the pace at the same effort band as last week.

Thursday & Friday 50's Easy

Saturday LSR 27K - Was tired for the last 7k of this. Luckily I had brought a couple of gels just to test out as I needed them. It also got hotter than I expected so had to stop and get a bottle of water. Was glad to get this done and get home.

Sunday 1.20hr Recovery, felt great on and after this.

Big week done, 90k, a new high for me however the body is feeling surprisingly ok.

Best of luck everyone this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Week 11 complete

Into the home straight now and into the biggest mileage week.

Monday - 8 mile steady @8.27min mile

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - 4 mile easy, 3 mile Fartlek, 5 mile easy c/d

Thursday - rest

Friday - 5 mile easy @9.28 min mile

Saturday - Rathlin Island 10 mile race

Sunday - 4 mile recovery

The race on the Saturday went well, I finished in 20th place out of couple hundred. Probably went off a bit too strong as the first two miles are very tough and hilly, actually the whole race is tough and hilly. I wore a hydration pack but really found it uncomfortable on my diaphragm so ditched it after 3 miles and carried my water pouch. Was a warm day and didn't really settle into a rhythm until mile 4. Thought I would have felt stronger, in the middle but I finished it in 1.17, taking 8 mins of my pb so happy enough with that. Realistically had it been a flat race it was definitely sub 1.10 effort so I can see the training paying off.

Got the email from London this morning asking me to update my details and predicted time, so it's all starting to get real now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Week 9 out of the way

Mon: Gym session

Tue: 12 km @ 5:30 km

Wed: 7km @ 6:05km

Thur: 7km @ 5:49km

Sat: 26km @ 5:34 km

It was a pretty good week overall, had planned the LSR at around 6 minutes per KM but met somebody after a few km who I ran with so it ended up being more like a PMP run over 26km. I felt really good the whole way and actually ran the last 4km at sub 5:10 pace which was great as I wasn't sure where I was pace wise with so much slower running. Definitely back to the LSR this weekend

• Advertisement

Hi Dublinlad,

All of your 2022 race times posted so far suggest a 4:10-4:15 marathon target is appropriate for you. That's a marathon pace of 9:32/mile (5:56/km). Bear those numbers in mind and try to keep those easy runs nice and slow - you are just about in the correct range there (should ideally be around 6:20-6:35)

The ¾ marathon is a good event but make sure you run it at your long run pace, not at marathon race pace. They usually have pacers to help you do this so it might be a good opportunity for you to practice running in a large pace group, if you think this is something you might do at the marathon itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭killiank

Weekly update

Monday - 5 x 1.5km @ 5.15 with 750m between @6km

Tuesday - 10km @ 6.14

Weds 3x3km @ 5.15 with 750 between @6km

Friday 5km @6.19

Sat 29km @5.52.

Sunday 8km @ 6.24

My highest mileage week so far @75km.

I did one marathon before in 2019 & I was certainly in better shape at KM29 on Saturday than I was during that marathon at that stage. Time on sat was quicker & Heart rate a good bit lower. A welcome boost.

Nice racing and a very decent result.

You're well on track - keep doing what you're doing. What are you thinking of putting for the updated predicted time?

That's a great week. Recover well now after that high mileage, especially given the race the week before. it can be easy to get carried away when feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

WEEK 10😁

We have passed the halfway mark and are now into the second half of the training plans - well done for getting this far!

Week 10 looks like this:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|2-3m easy or rest|3m easy|7m easy|4m easy|rest|15m lsr|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u, 6m pace, 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|19m lsr|2m rec

How was week nine for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

Some very impressive long runs in the week just gone. The training has built up appropriately to get you to a position where you are capable of these runs, and you went out and did them. Well done all! At this stage of the plan there will be times when the legs feel fatigued - this is perfectly normal. You are clocking up mileage that you've never seen before - now more than ever it is important to keep the paces and effort truly easy. There is nothing positive to be gained from running faster than your prescribed paces, this week keep the paces a bit slower to start and you will find the legs stronger for longer.

Very best of luck with this weeks training😊

Well done on your race, great to see the training paying off!

Best of luck with your highest mileage week😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Sticking in a 3.35 time, simply just to try and get out ahead of as many of the masses as possible. I don't know how many waves there are or if they just send runners off in 15min cohorts, so perhaps I'll still be in with the 3.45 grouping. Still planning on a 3.45 time and anything lower is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Today is rest or recovery run, is either ok to do?

Don't know what your plan is exactly but if that's the choice, either is probably OK. Just make sure the recovery run is true recovery - very easy, should feel restorative, as if you could run that pace forever. And don't go much beyond 45 mins or it's not really a recovery run. If feeling tired, or if you have other things to do, don't be afraid to take the rest day.

That all sounds reasonable - just be careful not to get too caught up in the faster paces of the people around you, especially as London has a fast downhill start. And remember the marathon is all about the second half, so save any plans to 'push on' until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

I was away last weekend so got the previous LSR done before leaving. No running Monday or Tuesday, but ended up doing 20+k steps each of 4 days I was away, so good to take a bit off.

(PMP: 5.30 min/km)

Wed: 12k @ 5.25 min/km. Also refereed kids soccer match (6k)

Thurs: 6.5k @ 5.50 min/km

Fri: 26k @ 6.12 min/km

Sat: Refereed kids match (6k)

Sun: Refereed kids match (6.5k)

LSR on Friday was in pretty warm weather. Fine for first 20k really. Took half pack of fruit pastilles with me, chewing on one every so often. Last 6km was a slog - just focused on getting through it, even though I felt like I had some left in the tank. Challenge is more the length of time out there running.

I'm a bit apprehensive about this weeks 19m LSR. Its a long time out there. I'll be hoping for a cold front and some drizzle 😉 Likely target LSR pace of 6:20min/km but that means on my feet for 3hrs 15 mins. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭l3m0n5

Week 9

Tuesday 6.5 @ 6:27

Wednesday 13k @5:36/km

Saturday 26.2 @6:25.

This week got away from me slightly work etc meant I'd very little time to get out. LSR went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Week 9 Recap: (PMP: 8:01 min/mile, Target LSR Pace: 8:50-9:00 min/mile)

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Planned (4m) Actual (4.38m @ 8:08/mile)

Wednesday: Planned (8m) Actual (7.8m @ 8:01/mile)

Thursday: Planned (4m) Actual (4m @ 8:44/mile)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Planned (16m LSR) Actual (16m @ 9:08/mile)

Sunday: Planned (2m) Actual (2.5m @ 8:28/mile)

All in – happy with the weeks training. Feeling good for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Have been feeling the knee still all week so adjust the training a bit.

Monday rest

Tuesday - 36 minutes on the cross trainer in the gym, brain draining

Wednesday - 2km swim

Thursday - Biked into the office instead of Wednesday and Thursdays runs, hour in and hour out aiming for PMP heart rate on the way in and easy on the way home.

Friday rest

Saturday was able to do the LSR with a support bandage on the knee with no issues, just felt like it was helping to fire things correctly. 26km at 6:18/km

Sunday 3.2km at 6:03/km

Booked into the physio on Wednesday to see if he can help the knee, feels like the quad or similar is not firing correctly so perhaps some dry needling or something to reset it.

What are you basing your PMP on? Your target had been 4hours & this translates to a PMP of 5:41. Your Weds run seems too fast, with the cumulative fatigue building up as the weeks go on it is really important to run at the appropriate paces. As for the long runs, it is all about making it as interesting as possible. Can you download a good playlist/podcast? Maybe try a new route that will challenge you a bit, if anyone else you know also runs could they meet you for part of the run? Sometimes it's more the thoughts of something rather than actually doing it. Are you going to try any other fuelling? I ran my longest run on Sunday just over 20miles & I picked a route that brought me from Tallaght to the Phoenix park then back through Palmerston & Clondalkin, I felt amazing after it because I usually stay local enough but the buzz I got from this was great. I also practiced my fuelling which I think I got spot on. The long runs are the time to practice all this & to see how it works for you.

Best of luck with it😊

Best of luck at the physio, let is know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

My original target has been 4 hours "just because". The idea of beating 4 hours rather than anything more, and I am sure that's still the plan, but... but.... I'm somewhat confident I can do it in 3:50, I think... I guess I don't want to train for 4 hours, do that pace, and then miss it by 10 mins and get annoyed.

I do listen to a lot of podcasts, and I think the last run I went through about 6 episodes of the same one, so maybe this week I will choose different podcasts to mix it up.

As for the route, I try avoid roads without paths as much as possible just out of safety, but I might give a go to something different this week. I say this often and then when I start running, I end up changing my mind :-) Ah, think I might give it a lash.

I am going to get some gels, but struggling to find where to get SiS ones. Will maybe give something else a go in the meantime.

Really appreciate the advice!

My only concern would be that we don't have any recent race times to base your target on & with 9 more weeks to go we don't want you to burn out or get injured. I trained for a 4 hour marathon for my own & ended up running it in 3:42 on the day, but all my training would have been based around the 4 hr paces. Getting to the start line is the main goal.

Yes I mix mine up & I have many many playlists with very varied music that get me through most of my running 😊 I am a creature of comfort & familiarity so like you I sometimes like the idea of changing things up but then at the last minute I stick to what i know. My run flew by on Sunday, I really am glad I took the new route, I love running in the PP but always drive out so to be able to say I ran out & back home again gave me a great buzz( it's the little things 😉).

I tried the SIS 40g gel on Sunday & I am thinking that's what I'm gonna go with. I bought mine in the cyclestore in Tallaght. I also had a jelly bar from decathlon which worked as an alternative for me. So I will go with this fuelling on my next long one & probably stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

A little late but my weekly update. A mixed bag of a week for a few reasons but on the positive side I did get the most km's into my legs yet.

(i) Had GAA champo match on the Sunday after the FD10mile. Very very far from ideal, but one of those things I knew I was going to have to contend with. Will happen again after the Half aswell.

(ii) too much confidence taken from my time in the FD10mile - ran most of my runs too fast this week. Using Vdot calculator gives a 3:27min marathon so I upped my target from a 3:45min marathon (stretch target) to a 3:30min. I know those calculators aren't an exact science and given I am a novice I haven't got that baseline aerobic fitness to translate it to a full marathon, but on the other hand I still feel I have another nearly stone to lose and extra 2months training. But even at 3:30 I should be about 5:40 per km and not 5:30km.

(iii) Poxy vomiting bug hit the house, I got it on Friday afternoon and managed to mostly shake it off by Saturday morning. Tried power through for a long run but felt awful so cut it short on Saturday but got out and got it done on the Sunday and felt ok(ish).

Monday - 8.25km @ 5:50 per km. recovery run pushed to the Monday. Was not as stiff/sore as I thought I would be after the FD10 which was great.

Tuesday - 11km @ 5:20 per km.

Wednesday - 12.3km @ c.5:30 per km (GPS went a big astray early on this one).

Thursday - 12.6km @ 5:30 per km

Saturday - 11km @ 5:25 per km

Sunday - 24.3km @ 5:26 per km

Post edited by Turkish1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

A decent week in terms of getting it done. Good that you recognised you pushed it too much with pace. I agree also with the concept of a novice marathon runner translating these times Into corresponding marathon times.

i find the calculators are very accurate up to half marathon. They are a good guide for marathon times once everything lines up perfectly. It's rare everything lines up perfectly on the day, even for seasoned marathoners.

I would hold off altering too much with training pace until after the half anyway. At that stage you should have a clearer idea of where you are.

Advertisement