Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Remember years ago going around Aldi looking for high sugar but easy eat stuff that was unlikely to make running uncomfortable, Aldi Jelly babies was what I settled on. Most amount of sugar and least amount of money and they certainly do the job in my previous experience anyway.

Never found Gels turned my stomach, but just got bored of them after a few of then.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah, gels never turned my stomach before, never really liked them either, like you I just got bored of them. I find a banana or just a sandwich more revitalising. It amazes me how different it can be on any given day, thankfully on Kerry Way Ultra I've a crew so can afford a broad range of foodstuffs that I can make a judgement call (fresh fruit, noodles, sandwhiches; that sorta thing). You're right on the jellies, someone had some on a recce and they were amazing!

From what I can see there doesn't seem to be any one thing anyone can do when, if at all, the nausea comes, other than switch to less offensive foods, slow down and work through it! Can't wait for KWU, the tapering has begun!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

What's the point in the triple jump can someone please tell me??

I can understand the long jump but the triple jump? two long strides and then a jump - wtf is that about?

why not just confine it to the long jump?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's not 2 strides and a jump. It's a hop, a step and a jump. And it's a great event. Leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Wrong thread? I suppose we could call it an ultra long jump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sorry my mistake - thought this was the 'euro champ' thread

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

UTMB live on youtube...

Enduro running it...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

And 16 other Irish competitors, live link to results. Early days yet, leaders at 68k point.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

He did his usual thing of starting sensibly and then rolling up the field from behind.

2nd in his age group apparently. Not bad in the most competitive trail race there is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Another Great result from Enduro.

Was watching alot of it over the weekend, I wonder if it is true that the winner of the CCC(100k) Petter Engdahl wore adidas road shoes for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Some running alright, he was only 8 minutes behind the age category winner. Awesome stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sussex18

I'm just wondering if anyone here has done a 24 hour run? And if so what mileage, how long did they run in preparation? There's one in my home city, usually in April, there is 6 and 12 hour options as well. Just after my third marathon this year and think I'd really like to see how I'd get on, even over the 6 or 12 hour options.

Thoughts appreciated 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

What does your training history look like in the context of those 3 marathons high mileage or are you coming from relatively low mileage base/ only a couple of years running?

There are different approaches to Ultra running. Personally as a coach I have operated off a training which looks more like an endurance based marathon block than an ultra to some success - 2 sessions a week (on included in long run and a midweek session) Long Run session between 18-22 miles, no back to back long runs daily running of approx 60-70 minutes, a hell of a consistent streak of about 70-90 miles peak week in and week out for most months of the year)

(It should be noted though that this was built up off the back of years of easy to moderate running prior to this training)

Hi thanks for feedback.

I hit a maximum of 56 miles before the most recent marathon. And that would be about what I did before the others too.

I've been running 40-50 miles per week, most weeks for about 4 years I'd say (with a few exceptions naturally). Parkrun would usually serve as my tempo run.

Am a regular runner since 2009.

The idea of a 24 hour or even 6 or 12 hour run fascinates me in some way, even though I'm sure it would be mentally excruciating🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Considering Connemara for April, having done the full there in 2018. Have no experience of running longer and am wondering whether the time 'time on feet' factor (and weighing the risk of this) is a consideration in ultra training or not as much of a concern?

You've got a good healthy base there. You'll be grand, is the scientific and specific answer!

If it helps I did my first proper ultra this year, Kerry Way Ultra, took 29 hrs. Was hitting approx 100km a week steady for about 4 months prior but very good base for 2 years before that, with peak volume at 130km (but that was the exception). And I loved every minute of the ultra, was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've done quite a few over the years, as well as many other Ultras, shorter and longer. I err on the side of high milage training. But then I find it relatively easy to do that. It's the speedwork that I dread :) I don't know what my milage is, but it is high.

One of my favourite quotes about ultrarunning goes along the lines of : if you ask 5 ultra runners about the best approach to training for ultras you'll get 8 diffrerent answers (and that applies right up to elite level).

There is no one right way that works. Lots of different approaches have led to very successful outcomes. They'll all generally cover the basics though (Consistant training, aiming for 80/20 effort split). No matter what training you do beforehand your first 24 hours is going to be a step into the unkown, and a learning experience. But then that's a big part of the fun and challenge. No matter how good your training is you <should> have figured out that you'll need to change something for your next one, as you'll have figured out where you need to get better...there is always something. The very best training you can do to prepare for a 24 hour race is to do a 24 hour race.

In my opinion the real key to having a good 24 hour race is being motivated. Once you have that drive you'll be much more able to deal with what the event throws at you (and it will throw plenty at you!). It sounds like you have that, so go for it. And if 24 is what you really want to do, then go straight for it. I've never done a 6 or a 12. Just do the event you most want to do.

It's not a significant step up from the Marathon. If you have the time on feet to handle a marathon then you should be able for a 1.5 x marathon. A marathon training plan should work fine for the Conn Ultra. You could lenghten and slow the long runs a bit to get slightly more specificity. No need for radical changes. It's still in the same ballpark.

Thanks all who responded for sharing their insights.

Yes it's very much in my head for April then. Would be a looped Ultra, of 2K,maybe 2.1 or 2.2. All only about 3 miles from home- and that proximity would be a help I'm sure 😊.

I think it's normal for people to take breaks, I'm not sure what exactly, it might be 5 minutes every 3 hours or something like that ? I'd need to check it out but probably not set in stone. Running through the night in April, could still be quite cold...

I'd need a Garmin that was music and radio enabled probably and with long battery life, can anyone recommend?

Will see how the winter training goes and update , can't really say yet 🙂

• Advertisement

Those are relatively long loops by the sound of it. Proximity to home helps for emergency resupllies if you have a willing helper for sure. But its also a trap to be avoided.

Some people take breaks deliberatly, sometimes planned, sometimes on the fly / ad-hoc. Some people try to minimise breaks. At the top level no-one plans to deliberately take breaks. Personally, experience has taught me that breaks should be avoided as much as possible in my own case (N=1).

If you think there is potnetial for it to be cold then make sure you have the gear to deal with that, and have used winter to practice dealing with. You'll be slower and more energy depleted in the latter stages of a 24 hour so don't rely on nomral running heat generation to keep you warm. It's good to plan to need extra.

Similarly with music. Some people use it, some don't. There is normally plenty of chatting during a 24 hour race. I got to chat to tons of people on my first one, and that was one of the more enjoyble aspects of the event. A garmin watch would be a very expensive solution to music supply. A sandisk clip is the best thing I've found (I've never used it in a 24 hour, having said that, only much longer events where I'm on my own for hours).

Thanks, I had never heard of a SanDisk, what sort of files are they compatible with? Could I send files from a Mac?.

As for breaks, yeah whenever I take one it's harder to resume, so yeah I can imagine that a deliberate one would not be advised.

My sandisk takes a few formats, including MP3. I've no idea if it works with a Mac but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Yup, that's one of my issues with breaks. Restarts are hard and get harder the longer you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Would never really have thought about not generating the normal heat towards the end, but it makes sense. That bit of advice on its own could be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,047 ✭✭✭✭event

So question for you experienced folks.

I am thinking of doing a fundraiser in my locality next year which would result in my running 100k in 24 hours. It wouldn't be continuous though, it would be across 39 venues (GAA pitches) and it's a 1.5m loop in each. So would involve driving between them all, not much recovery etc. My pace would be a 10min mile pace, all flat.

How would you approach training for something like this and what sort of training would you do?

For some background on me: I just did DCM there and have done 9 marathons in last 9 years. I do a bit of mountain running and I did the 4/4/48 challenge a few years ago too. I've never ran further than a marathon though

Any help really appreciated as to what I should build towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I am looking at doing some ultra races this year and looking for any reports / Review of the Waterville Trail Ultra 130k Continuous. It is a 42k loop that you complete 3 times. with a time limit of 8hrs / 16hrs and 24hrs for each lap.

I'm doing it this year too - deferred from last year. It's very achievable, not as runnable as some of the kerry way trails apparently. What sorta training you getting in? Lianne Van Dijk, a fantastic trail runner, was 1st lady home last year and has a blog about it here

As an aside, Enduro is now 233KM into the Spine Race, holding a good steady pace like the machine he is

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I did 2 of the 3 loops last year and have been down for couple of recces as well. The 130k race changes direction this year and does the loop the opposite way to the way I've done it. Its a class loop, very mixed terrain. Few runnable bits of road and some challenging technical sections. Termons Ridge is a boggy 5k ridge top section near Waterville town with many many stiles, practice your stiles and your cursing. Unreal views though (if the weather is good!) The section from Derrynane to Waterville is as good as you'll find anywhere in terms of scenery. Depending on the weather, Eagles Hill can be very challenging. A very slippy descent when wet but we were lucky. It's going to be a very tough climb the other way around and is approximately halfway around. The good news is there will a long gradual descent off it this direction so very runnable and make back time lost climbing.

As darrenheaphy said, its very doable in the time allowed. A buddy and myself went down late last year and fast hiked the majority of the loop and came in around 7 hours. The hardest part will leaving Waterville for loop 3 in the darkness. I hadn't mentally prepared for it and let foot problems get the better of me.

Its a lovely vibe down there for the whole weekend with the other events on. The RD seems very accessible and responsive. The race organisation itself is good. You'll even find lads like Kevin Leahy out manning the aid stations.

Happy to try and answer any questions you have. Can forward on the race email from last year if thats handy? Suggest a recce if you can make it happen. Will definitely help on the day.

• Advertisement

Has anyone here done the Cape Wrath Ultra? Half thinking of doing it next year

Advertisement