Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Some GWP promo's coming along until December. The set below is from 16th September not sure price point or if just with lego City sets.

Already out before but been reused 5th to 11th September 120 spend. In Europe only.

Next is October GWP.

Be 2 GWP IN NOVEMBER. 1 XMAS themed one and one about lego House.

Plus double VIP in November it seems and in December another Xmas GWP set.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We're in town today for the day so got to the shop at about 11.30 and got wristbands for 5pm. Heading up shortly but the bloody card machines aren't working today. Really seems to be a lot of minor teething issues with the place, judging by all the posts recently.

Heading in for 9 tomorrow with the kids. I am hoping with school starting next week that a lot less people around town tomorrow. Was 5 the time you were allocated for going in at 11.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yep it was. If you go in, I hope they have the personalized printer and credit card machines working again.

The place looked absolutely ransacked when we went. I was actually very disappointed at the range they had. Smyths have a better range of Harry Potter kits currently. The Lego Friends section was annihilated. Loads of empty shelves.

The Technic range wasn't great although they did have the new Technic Airbus Helicopter (42145) which I have an eye on.

It'll be nice once everything settles down but it was just a bit too manic today and stock levels were crap.

I did have to get dragged away from the Castle kit though. Wow that's a big box!

My wife also commented that she didn't spot any of the "adult" kits like the Pyramids set or any of the Architecture ones. Hopefully they'll have them soon.

Can't fault the staff though. They were all incredibly diligent and friendly. One even went out to the store room to see if they had any small dogs for one of the mini figures one of my daughters was making. That's service!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I picked up the Airbus in Easons online last week for 160 fyi.

• Advertisement

Thanks i hope get in for 9 and get into the place early. You would think it would die down a good bit alright but might be a while and maybe only when kids back in school.

Yeah I say place has a lot of empty shelves. Say its been cleaning up.

Castle set I might even throw 50 a mth away into an envelope to save up for it and get it down the line as 1 I definitely want.

Saying that I spent the most I ever did on lego this month so I think that's me done now buying random sets as such. I think going forward I might just concentrate on lego star wars and the castle set and be more picky if I want other sets but nothing again like I spent this month. Put more lego into the eves not really any space at all left now so I can't even put them away there.

With the cost of lego going up in next few days and everything else it will really start to curtail my spending on it. How bout everyone else in this regards?

Post edited by RGARDINR on

Just out of the lego store so they still have a good few of the GWP TRUCKS if you spend 75 in store none of the pirate polybags left. Its cool now but I thought the pick a brick was v small. Credit card machines were not working so cash only. Print a minifigures was not working but was getting fixed when about to leave. Kids didn't want 1 so they didn't bother. Spent 80 to get the free gift with purchase. But yeah a lot of stock not in. So some random sets on shelves to fill in the gaps. Busy but got in at 9 slot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I wouldn't be spending huge amounts on Lego, although I suppose its all relative. I think all I've gotten this year has been:

• Trench Run Diorama, £60
    • Mace Windu's Tank, €40
    • Tie-Fighter, €40
    • Mercedes Speed Champions Double Set, €40
    • Aston Martin Speed Champions Double Set, €40

And then €25 on an old set on Bricklink, and maybe another 80-90 on loose bricks and pieces on Bricklink.

Not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Would mostly be into Star Wars, Speed Champions, and Technic, I'd say the most I'd spend on an "impulse" purchase if I was going for a walk around Smyths to see if there was anything new or decently reduced would be €30. It's just that old chestnut of Money/Time/Space. You need all three of them 😃

Looking at my Lego Wishlist at the moment:

• Mini Disney Castle - €35, It's a nice looking piece I might get it.
    • Fish Tank - €30 - Probably not, I think I just put it in there to remind myself to have a look to see how big or small it is.
    • Space Shuttle Discovery - €180 and Atlas 5 Rocket €120 - Would love to get these to go with the Lunar Lander and the Space Station but it's just down to space and the size of them.
    • There's 2 Technic Cars at €50 a piece that I will get at some stage the next time there is an offer.
    • The McLaren F1 Car at €180 I will definitely be getting, it's just like you said a while ago, spending that much you'd want to be getting double points, or something decent with it.
    • A €30 John Deere Tractor and Trailer to do with my Nephew the next time he is over.
    • And the Star Wars Scout Trooper Helmet at €50 but the problem is if I do that and like it then there's loads of other helmets to get as well 😂

With an annual average rent of Half a Million per year for the next 10 years they'll need to be shifting a lot of stock.

https://propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr-com.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-14566216FB94D830802587F9005D6B36?OpenDocument

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Not sure why everyone going to shop so quick it sounds like a shambles. I'll head in on a quiet midweek morning in October at some point and have a browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

McLaren F1 is on sale in Smyths at the moment for €160

• Advertisement

There some cool sets you picked out. The space sets you are thinking of getting are cool. Was going to pick up the space station in argos today but I got 2 star wars sets instead so I couldn't afford any more.

Yeah the star wars helmets I have got a few nothing major like you I wasn't going to bother collecting them but have started to now. Silly me had the tie fighter pilot and stormtrooper helmet before in argos on special offer but didn't bother getting them. Raging now as mad prices for them so won't ever get them but I might pick the rest of them up. I need to get the bobba fett helmet soon as that is due to retire this year I believe.

But yeah space is definitely the problem, money always and for both reasons I will be cutting down drastically going forward.

That's a hefty price tag for the rent but I say will do fine come the end of the day there. Just people should look at prices in smyths and argos before buying in lego store there as some sets could have big difference in price between the 2 places and save you a nice amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

Any thoughts on running Bricklink store? Is it viable idea of based in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'm a bit like yourself: wouldn't be mad to spend a load but I do enjoy collecting, especially when you can get a bargain (especially anything around €0.05 per piece). In fact the hunt for a good discount is part of the fun for me. I only got into Lego during lockdown and gave myself €10 a week to dip my toe back in the waters. I stuck to that for 2 years, but have gone a bit mad in recent times buying the retired set Pirates of Barracuda Bay for €295 (inc postage), Medieval Blacksmith, Sesame Street, and today the Viking ship. Also some smaller sets - the halloween one for this year; the lovebirds, the small batman tumbler. Got a few free sets too (GWPs) but I'm going to have to calm down a bit as I have blown more than my budget for the year in the six months March-September. I have most of the sets I want though - mostly Ideas sets, 3 in 1s, and a few small random ones. Won't be going near anything over €200 on principle and I'm kicking myself that I didn't get Barracuda Bay for €200 or cheaper when it was out, but it's a lesson learned. Would love to get into a bit of lego investing myself to offset some of the prices, but I'm wary of buying stock and not being able to sell it in Ireland because of lack of demand. I think long and hard before I buy a set, and watch a lot youtube and other reviews. It's part of the fun though. It's a great hobby all in all :)

ps the one Lego set that got away, the one that I want above all else is the old fishing store, but alas it shall not be. Too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Spending will all depend on what Star Wars sets get released, Clone wars and some OT, just can't help myself 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the Irish ones are hobby stores, not doing it as a full-time job; or are appended to other businesses.

Shipping out of here is relatively dear due to being on an island, so that will impact total margins significantly. Buyers will want cheaper elements to make up for higher shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

Fish tank is small but looks fantastic, far more so than you'd expect from a set at that price point.

In fact I spend a lot of time taking my cat away from it....not sure if that reflects its realism or his stupidity 😂

There are a few, and I suppose it would depend on what you plan on doing. Parting out sets for individual pieces, or doing whole sets, or minifigs. I'd always do the filter by stores in Ireland button first when I've got a list of pieces. And then see what percentage they can fill, if there is a minimum order,. Generally the postage is reasonable enough, and there is a minimal if any handling charge.

Using this as an example. 8068 - Technic Rescue Helicopter

There is 1 Irish seller doing it for 25 + 9 Postage (which is at cost, based on a 1kg standard package ). There are cheaper options in the EU, but they have damaged stickers, or no instructions, or a minimum buy, or something. there is a set in Belgium with a substition of 2 black pieces instead of 2 red pieces which is grand but you have to wait for an invoice to see how much the shipping is going to be. The same in Germany, two sellers with the set for €20 everything complete but Shipping TBD so I'd probably go with the Irish guy, and if I bought it now, I'd probably have it on Thursday or Friday instead of waiting for it to come from the continent.

For bits and pieces though, yeah it just comes down to playing around and seeing what combination of shops will get me the most bits for the lowest cost, without there being too many different shops to have to pay postage multiple times. My ramblings may not be very helpful but yeah I'd always hit the Filter buy Stores in Ireland button first to check that but I really don't know if you'd be able to live off of it or make a job out of it.

Some big jump there in argos and smyths on prices. Was due to happen tody on the 1st but not nice to see. Also on lego site as well you will notice a big difference on sets as a lot gone up in price there.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Those price hikes are shocking! I’m so glad I got what I wanted before they happened… I questioned a member of staff in the Lego shop and he said there were no further hikes coming… thankfully I thought I’d still get the home alone incase…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

At least Smyths is still cheaper on a few items, (unless they will catch up later). For me an extra €5 on the Republic fighter tank, thats going to increase the price of those clones even more.

• Advertisement

Yeah some sets still cheaper in smyths then lego store but I say they will go up soon especially if smyths have to buy the set in at the more expensive price. Might be OK until they sell their allocation of stock before hand but you just don't know.

Yup a 50 euro jump in some sets is a big price increase. I think they should of left the prices alone of sets already out but new sets released from 1st August had the price increase in them.

So what actually went up and by how much?

From prices that I knew of before today and just picking a few at random, this link does seem to be accurate. Will need a google translation from German.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-preiserhoehungen-2022-exklusiv/148421/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've been able to justify the prices of a lot of the larger sets to myself, but these latest increases are just crazy. Home Alone house/Haunted house for 300, Treehouse for 250. GTFO of here. I'm just finishing Boutique Hotel at the moment, and while lovely it's incredibly hard to justify at 230. In my head they're still 160 euro sets. I've close to over 200 euro in Lego points and when I cash them in, I'm done with their website.

I'm incredibly reticent to call a company greedy. They exist to make profit. I get it. People also tend to ignore various macro issues etc, but this coupled with the weekly super high priced releases (Tempted to do a list of what it'd cost to buy all the sets over 150euro in given year, over the last decade) is hard to read as anything else. My fear is that they'll burn out their customers, and deny poorer kids a chance to get in at all. It's a bad sign when I'm cutting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I noticed that the Haunted House was discounted in Smyth's for the past couple of weeks down to €211 from €250, but that has now shot up to €300, so looks like they'll be putting up their prices in line with Lego.

Ps if anybody is interested Santa Sleigh 40499 is back in stock. It sold out quickly last year. I don't want it though :)

It baffles me often when price increase is necessary. Or when lay offs are necessary. But what does it mean exactly. If company doesn’t increase price or fire some % of workforce will it go bankrupt or will they be making 5% less profit and thats the actual reason. Keeping the shareholders happy first and foremost is my bet. Just bit tired of the PR bs..

I didn’t think it would piss me off as it did. Glad I cashed in some points and pulled the trigger on ninjago gardens before it went up €50.

Lego really is now a toy for rich boys. But as long as I can afford it I’d be getting robbed every month 😎

Any word on what advent calendars will

be for sale this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lego has no shareholders. It's privately held.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Advent calendars are on the site now. Lego Star wars, guardians of the galaxy, city, friends and Harry potter.

https://www.lego.com/en-ie/holiday-gifts/advent-calendars

• Advertisement

Yeah there all gone up 5 euro compared to last year. I will pick up the star wars 1 for myself, Marvel 1 for my daughter and 2 city ones I think for my 2 boys. Still 140 there right off. So I might wait until some GWP in September I would of held off until October for the cast away set but if I remember last year they sell out fast enough on lego site. So not sure if they will sell out by October when that set is released or not.

Advertisement