Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock down turbo trainers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

site_owner wrote: »
    Good to see stock reappearing. This 2km limit is dragging on

cycle superstore with the Cycling Ireland discount is the cheapest kickr you'll get too (from what I've seen)

Yeah, I had used my CI discount already but still got it for €1049

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

I recently purchased an elite direto X, can anyone recommend a heart rate sensor/monitor and strap that's compatible with this ?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wahoo Tickr seems to be widely considered the best - they seem to be out of stock in many places.

Just make sure you get one that connects with whatever device you are using it with - e.g. some HRMs are ANT only but you may be using the trainer connected by bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi

I recently purchased an elite direto X, can anyone recommend a heart rate sensor/monitor and strap that's compatible with this ?

cheers

To the best of my knowledge compatibility with the trainer is pretty much irrelevant. It's compatibility with the training app/platform that you are using that matters. For HRM straps you generally have BLE or ANT+ capability. The best HRM straps support both (Wahoo Tickr for example). It all comes down to what sort of wireless connection you expect to be using BLE or ANT+. If you don't know buy a TICKR as it supports both.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

One of the many awaiting a re stock of trainers to upgrade existing one.

I'm beginning to accept it will be 2-3 months before a decent one is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭moby2101

Thanks for the replies lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

futurum shop in the Netherlands ahs the new JetBlack WhisperDrive samrt in stock. It's a grand. Now, I don't know if they deliver here, but anyone looking, might be worth asking

Saris H3 is apparently available from CRC at the moment. Now it's a grand, but well reviewed

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/saris-h3-smart-trainer/rp-prod192379

Is there any sign of supply returning to normal on these?

I'd like to upgrade a Tacx Flux to an Elite Direto / Kickr Core or something along those lines but would need to sell the Flux and I'm wary of getting stuck without a trainer at the moment

• Advertisement

Cigala retail are taking pre orders for Wahoo trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on direct drives- are they quieter than the other ones or what is their main advantage? And do people see them coming down to around the 300 price point at any stage or is 500ish as low as its going to get?

Some are very quiet.

Turbo Muin (Dumb trainer) was considered very quiet when it came out. Mine has developed an issue in which it still works perfectly well, but it's rather loud now. Anyway, if you don't need a smart trainer, Halfords (when they reopen) still seem to stock them.

My kinetic r1 is about 60-65 decibels and considered loud for a newer smart trainer. To me it just sounds like a bike would sound like insoors anyway when the sound has nowhere to go.

but the saris h3 noted above (which won't ever be 300) is considered very quiet.

I'd say there'll be trainers coming on the market in a few months too.

I'm going to keep using mine, as with a wedding (hopefully) I'll use it in the weeks before and reduce my road time a bit

Thanks Weepsie. Yeah thinking of getting one later this year and want it to last a good while but 300ish is the budget so hoping a few cheaper direct drive models might come on the market at that price point. Or else I'll see what Adverts and Donedeal might throw up.

As with Weepsie I'm using the Elite Turbouon with a power meter, it's perfectly fine for the budget conscious rider and in fact I've decided to stick with it rather than spend on a flux or the like. The Zwift game isn't as fancy with non smart but if you can push the power in your grade then you'll be fine with non smart.

Is there any sign of supply returning to normal on these?

I'd like to upgrade a Tacx Flux to an Elite Direto / Kickr Core or something along those lines but would need to sell the Flux and I'm wary of getting stuck without a trainer at the moment

Kickr core on stock on Wahoo website, literally just checked 5 mins ago. €799.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Hello all,

I'm in same group, wanted to upgrade my old trainer to a new kickr core and can't see any in stock. In the middle of March I placed an order with my local bike shop for a kickr core under the bike to work scheme. I was told they would be in stock mid April, and obviously they are still struggling perhaps to get them in.

I can't change my bike to work scheme to another shop easily, does anyone know?

Thanks!

Are turbo trainers allowed under the bike to work scheme? It would seem to go against the spirit of the scheme.

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm in same group, wanted to upgrade my old trainer to a new kickr core and can't see any in stock. In the middle of March I placed an order with my local bike shop for a kickr core under the bike to work scheme. I was told they would be in stock mid April, and obviously they are still struggling perhaps to get them in.

I can't change my bike to work scheme to another shop easily, does anyone know?

Thanks!

Bike to work scheme is not for ordering turbo trainers, and the shop shouldn't done it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

zombie thread resurrection

anyone selling their lockdown turbo trainers?? 😁

I'm currently deciding between a second hand Tacx Neo or a 2nd hand Wahoo Kickr Core or Tacx Flux s (cheaper than others)

big investment for me, for my first turbo setup

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I have the tacx flux s. Very good piece of kit. You get a great workout on them too as it's full on. No stopping at lights to catch your breath and that. Not selling mine but here is one http://www.adverts.ie/27459901

There was an Elite Direto in the adverts forum recently at a fantastic price. You also see more deals on trainers than you did in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I got a good deal on a new Direto from Chain Reaction earlier this year. I'd imagine demand has plummeted, so you might be able to avail of stock clearances on older models over the next month or two. I don't think you can go too far wrong with recent-ish models from the likes of Tacx/Wahoo/Elite, so long as they support ANT+ and BlueTooth BLE the main diffentiator seems to be the max gradient they'll simulate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

And most people on zwift just have their "Trainer Difficulty" at the default 50% anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about max gradient/ power tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

My better half signed up to her first Ironman next year and looking to do a triathlon before this as i will be once i get over an injury. Anyone recommend a site that won't charge import on the Wahoo Kickr V5 or V? I know a lot of money for indoor but we will both get great use out of it and now we have cancelled our gym it will pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd be waiting to see the final reviews from DC Rainmaker/ GP Llama of the zwift hub, if I was buying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Brilliant thanks, I didn't realise Zwift was releasing their own trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I buy from Wahoo direct, they rarely have a difference in price to the sellers, no import duty, warranty issues are sorted very quickly, just easier all round.

Advertisement