Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 forrest gump

I have a commute of over two hours every day. I work in IT in the service and it is costing me €20 euro a day to come into work.

Yes I know it was my decision to live that far away from my work place. Where it was one of those things that you did before COVID. But when you can do two and half years at home and be more productive. Why do I need to be in the office? It has opened a lot of people's eyes.

In our section there is about 20 staff. And 75% of them are going through the interview/application process to get out of the section.

The reason being we are officially one day WFH. The management are so short sighted they don't see that people are so peed off working in the office with everything that it involves. That they are going to loose so many skilled people. And even then they still think they are doing a good job.

I am at the interview stage for a new role. I wouldn't have looked for the new role only for the policy and the way the whole situation was handled in my department.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Hi all, not sure if anyone has any experience of this. I am moving to a new department shortly. Where I currently am, we were provided with work laptops, but I have heard (anecdotally) that in this new department that people have been having to use their own laptops.

I am surprised to hear that from a security point of view etc. Have people had to provide their own laptops? I don't currently have a personal laptop and wouldnt to miss out on remote working so would have to get one, would seem like a strange burden to place on people starting off

I used my personal laptop with Citrix for the first 10/11 months of the pandemic, but once we were issued with work laptops we were told to use only them for work purposes.

I'd be surprised if the anecdote that your new Dept doesn't provide a laptop is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

During the lockdowns most of my dept would have used their own laptop/computer.

That was phased out over the last year, and now as part of our blended working everyone has been issued a work laptop.

I would be very surprised if any department's long term plan was for staff to provide their own equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Best to ring/email the new department HR and ask them.

I know some people used their own laptops due to shortages at the beginning of the lockdown but that should be fases out long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Say you don't have a laptop. Under no circumstances use your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Best of luck with your interview.

Only offering 1 day a week is a very bad reflection on a department. What’s the reasoning behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Icbaby

I use my own laptop. I have the option to take a work computer (full monitor, unit and accessories) home but I don’t have room for that as I need to pack away at the end of the day. Have never been offered a laptop but for the option to work from home I’m happy to use my laptop.

They don't want people WFH so they offer one day and make the policy and form that needs to be completed when applying for WFH as long and tedious in the hope that people won't apply for WFH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

I think the whole CS has the same form as you have to apply through the NSSO. Unless your dept also has additional forms?

Our application process is quite smooth anyway and we only have to come in one day a month if our manager says ok. I'm only going to be coming in one day a week. My colleague is coming in one day every 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Xx-Steph08-xX

I am curious after following this for a while I feel like most people prefer WFH but is there anyone out there that hates it? I have never liked it no matter how hard I try feel like I am the only person that just hates it, I like to get up and get out of the house and have a routine, its really impacted my mental health over the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

You're definitely in the minority but I'm sure there are others.

Have you asked about attending the office for more days than you currently are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Start date.
    • End date.
    • Blended working location.
    • Percentage.
    • Remote days.

It is incredibly poorly worded, but hey, PeoplePoint (sorry - NSSO). But long? Tedious? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

From what I can see, there’s no obligation in most places now to work from home so you should be fine going forward. I’m not being dismissive here either when I say you should seek help with your mental health. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

I'd be the same. Spent a year and a half working from home and it wasn't for me. Spending an extra 45 hours a week in the house had no appeal at all. Back in the office full time for the last year....much prefer the routine and the separation of work and home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Are many places still without a policy? No sign of ours despite weekly emails to HR. Currently 1 mandatory office day.

It is not the NSSO application form. But hey you keep on making assumptions. It is a local form within the department.

By now, every department should have their policies published and be asking their staff to make official applications to WFH via NSSO. If you don't want to WFH, don't apply!

Part of the Blended Working Framework published by DPER does allow for NOT working from home, though everyone is encouraged to do at least one day. However if it doesn't suit you, your dept should be able to facilitate you WFO full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Im the same. Absolutely hate it.

Back in office full time now a few months and it is a genuine relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Some of the key Departments haven't published/agreed their policies yet.

As an aside, I've also heard of some organisations asking staff to jump through a fair few hoops to ensure the right facilities are in place at home to ensure the work station is safe etc., but at the same time offering nothing in terms of provision of necessary equipment etc. All heavily weighted in the employer's favour.

There appears to be a spectrum, ranging from "Let's crush this. Make it impossible, or just rule it out entirely as an option," through to "We know productivity went up during lockdown - let's embrace this!" and everything in between. Most departments seem to have a fairly reasonable balance available - 2 or 3 days in office seems to be the average for those who want it - and are reasonably accommodating with setups.

Employees also seem to be on a spectrum ranging from "Let's exploit this for all it's worth - I'd like to WFH fulltime, please, and I'll need two monitors and a new desk and oh, you'll have to pay for my broadband, too!" through to... well, just getting on with the work, without having to commute.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with increased energy costs kicking in, effecting both the commute for those who have to drive, and the cost of heating a house during the day for those WFH for a lot of the week - maybe the whole week if a couple have different WFH days.

A lot of sense in this post, balance is key.

For me the writing is on the wall when a Department starts engaging with staff regarding ergonomic risk assessments for the first time about 18 months into the pandemic when they wanted people to start coming back to the office, especially when they don't do those assessments for the Departmental work spaces (at least not at an individual level anyway).

Departments could also use more supportive language to set out that they'll work will staff to ensure that they'll work with people to try and ensure that people have the right tools to be productive and safe wherever they're working, and to ensure business needs are met and achieved. But instead you're getting asked to fill in some form and apply for something you've had for the guts of three years.

I find the whole thing fairly deflating. I think people are starting to gravitate towards the organisations, and the managers within organisations, who are a bit more progressive.

I know, its poor form really. Ours was published in July.

Doing a home ergonomics assessment is part of the conditions laid down by DPER - I've done mine already and it was honestly okay, mostly focused on height of laptop screen, chair and lighting conditions. It took about 20 minutes and was done Zoom with an external company.

My dept sent around a questionnaire on home workstations at least six months ago, and offered to supply anything the employee needed, if they didn't already have suitable equipment of their own. They also put up online training videos in how to set up an ergonomic workstation. I got a new chair on foot of the questionaire, as they did not think mine was suitable. Delivered to my door, fully assembled. I already had an office laptop, and everything else was okay.

Yeah we had none of that support for equipment. A few months into the pandemic people were invited to call into work to collect the chair or screen they were using and bring it home, which was about the height of it.

This is one of the great disparities between departments that I really don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Did they mention anything about standing desks I refuse to sit even when in the office. I have my setup very ergonomic for my role so hopefully it's not an issue

Ironically, my home setup is much better, ergonomically, than my office setup. At home, I two decent widescreen monitors perpendicular to the window, a "gaming" chair (sooo comfortable!), upright mouse, webcam with privacy cover, headset with mic (all my own). In work, I've two smaller monitors with a window behind me (so sun streaming in all morning/early afternoon), ordinary mouse, webcam with no privacy cover, wired earphones with no mic, and a basic seat that's grand, like, but nowhere near as good for my back as my own one. Last job still had square monitors, like it was still the early noughties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We didn't even get that offer to call into work to take stuff home, though a few people did it anyway.

Not at my assessment, as I have a regular height desk, but I don't think it would be an issue - we have some standing desks in our offices.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I hated WFH. So much so that when I hit 60, I retired. I wasn't that enamored with my job anyway, but would probably have plodded on until at least 65 if we hadn't switched to WFH. I had the option to retire at 60, and even if I stayed on for years, would never have a 'gold-plated' pension that some of my other public service colleagues would have.

And here's the worst thing - now a year after I retired, my colleagues are all still WFH. We worked partly in a call-centre setting, answering queries. But truth is, many of us didn't know the answers to the queries, and being able to lean on the experience and generosity of colleagues in an office setting was invaluable. My manager was difficult to tie-down in the office, but once we changed to WFH, it was almost impossible to get any guidance from him.

I have never regretted retiring, even though I have a very modest income now. But I do sometimes miss the routine of getting up, commuting, leaving the building at the end of a working day (alleluia!) and travelling home in a state of exhaustion. I liked meeting and mixing with all sorts of different people too. There had been a time when I had a role in the same department that enabled me to be really good at my job - I knew what to do, and how to do it - and those years were very happy indeed.

I can really understand how WFH could impact your mental health. I hope your situation improves soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

Not every department is using Peoplepoint/NSSO for blended working applications. Some have their own format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm hearing from people working in a few local authorities and parts of other public bodies that it's as if the great Covid WFH experiment never happened. Staff who had worked from home successfully and could have continued doing so have "returned to work". Nothing to see here, back to normality, back to printing emails for the file. Fuel prices and CO2 emissions from long commutes, shur who cares. Local jobs should be for local people. Buildings full of people typing away - looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pathetic. A generation of senior managers stuck in the past. Really it's they who should be asked to justify a return to traditional work practices, not the other way around. But that's local authorities for you tbh.

Scrap the cap!

Probably a cohort or generation of staff who are conditioned to accept that sort of approach also.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

So, September is here and the blended working pilots have begun at this stage or will begin next week for most departments and offices I think. The cabinet is meeting today to discuss energy and fuel saving measures to be adopted in all publicly owned buildings. What are the chances they'll consider not needlessly forcing staff back to long daily commutes, burning large volumes of expensive and polluting petrol and diesel, when it has been proven over the last two and a half years that a lot of this work can be carried out efficiently and to a high standard at home. Personally, I have no complaints about the levels of attendance expected in my unit, but from some of the comments in this thread, it's obvious that a lot of offices and departments are forcing people back for no good reason. But I suspect the answer to my question is, slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

Our WFH policy is still in draft. It has been in draft all year. Hopefully it will be finalised soon to allow people to apply and agreed before year end. All new job specs state we are now a blended working organisation, but I'm not sure what new contracts have in place in relation to this as the policy is not finalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Advertisement

I'd prefer not to, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not in the CS, but we have a few people who prefer to be in the office. So they happily come into the Office.

I know one person in another job who quit when they went fully remote.

I think most people like a hybrid. With common anchor days for teams and units.

I think many places can accommodate different working practices. But a lot will just return to the old ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

Time for another survey it seems as most, if not all, Departments will have published/commenced their blended policy. It would be useful data for those who are on promotion panels. I can try and organise it if @TaurenDruid You don't want to (I think you organised the last one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cocs

Hi, still waiting on the dept of Education policy re wfh and flexi. Anyone have any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

I don’t know about the flexi but it’s 2 days in the office the rest working from home for some anyway in education

Has anyone implemented flexi yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Revenue have.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

DECC also

Hi APparently, I have some feedback from the last one so don't mind doing it again. I'll have some time at the weekend so can do it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 is that a button

Hi All! I have just stumbled across this thread & I am hoping someone here can advise! I recently applied for Revenue AO (Audit & Compliance) position. I have also applied for EO Position via PAS (hoping for Rev Comm but I have not heard anything back on this yet!). I am just wondering if anyone here can advise on the current work situation at Revenue? Do most Revenue depts (or specifically EO & AO's) still work from home? Or If blended, is there generally a minimum amount of days required in the office? .. I currently work remotely & have absolutely no desire to ever return to an office 5 days a week! Looking back now it was soul destroying & ridiculous driving in just to look at a computer screen! I certainly value my time with family a lot more since Intro of WFH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

I think Revenue are only in the office 1 day a month unless there is a business need to go in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement