Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young voters' view of the Troubles on the island of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The attempts to rewrite the PIRA/ INLA etc as heroes is actually disgusting. The men of violence caused mayhem on this island from 1916-1923 and again in the 1970s & 80s. They were/ are a plague on the plain people of Ireland who would have achieved a peaceful agreed Irish state long ago if left to their own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The IRA would be like the Peshmerga fighting back against them.

Ironically many of the Isis fighters came from the same sink estates that the British army came from. Funny how all that history still had to out in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,771 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If they only solve a third of the issues that will be enough for me and I dare say those affected by the issues currently. That they are going to 'fix everything' is spin generated by the fearful power swap and their acolytes.

SF didn't bring violence to this island ('SF/PIRA's approach') it wasn't 'their approach' therefore.

Which is what I meant by a 'blind generation'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We didn't try the peaceful civil rights approach.

Yes we did - the civil rights movement was under constant attack from loyalists AND the RUC. The provos only came to be after years of civil rights marches led to the grand result of free derry and free belfast - two ghettos with barricades up to protect the population from police brutality. You are incredibly naive or full of historical revisionism to say that the peaceful civil rights approach was never tried.

It was tried, and it wasn't enough.

Hume invested greatly in Sunningdale and it was brought down by Unionists/Loyalists too. I remember the period, it was bleak and there looked to be no solutions.

The solution did come when the British were brought to the table accepting the right of SF and the IRA to be at that table.

The only that worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

again , murdering people for no political reason and then covering it up is a long standing tactic of sf , same as any organized crime gang out there . pretending that they didnt happen or slandering the victims as touts or criminals is just low

that is relevant

vote kinahan vote hutch vote sf

ya thats about the level of logic i would expect from you blaaz

and explains some way why NI is the toilet of a country

your understanding of the world around you is truly truly awful and goes some way towards explaining you posts 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

We tried it, but you need to stick with it. If you give people a reason to hate you, surprise, surprise they will hate you. It will take a long time for the wounds to heal, probably until most who were live at the time are dead. If nationalists had not engaged in violence they would have held the high moral ground and we would be much closer to a UI in my opinion. But it is difficult for SF supporters to accept that their party was a very large part of the problem.

The majority of younger people would rather not think about this aspect of SF and a UI is way down the list of priorities for voters in the ROI. I think it is only the hard line supporters like timmyntc, FrancieBrady, Danzy and Brucie Bonus that have this "little pretend soldiers fighting for Ireland" fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Look the old days of SF/IRA using extortion, taxing drug dealers or drug dealing themselves, smuggling, labelling witnesses or anyone who opposes their activities as "grasses" and disappearing them, smuggling, armed robbery, murdering gardai, covering up paedophilia etc. are all in the past. Sinn Fein are a party of the people if we sort them out with the election they'll look after us free houses, free education free healthcare, free bins. people dragging up the past sure whats that going to help going over and over about thing that happened years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You look for the negative in everything. I see the positive.

As shown by your 'depth of knowledge' it isn't us who are living in a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The thing the younger people seem to miss is that the IRA campaign failed. Partition and sectarianism are still here. And there was a far better chance of improving things through peaceful means. Most people knew that and never backed the IRA, north or south. Adams, McGuinness et al were looking for a way out for years. People in the south now seem to think the IRA campaign had much more support among Catholics than it actually did. In reality it was feared, hated and only supported by a hardcore minority. That was even through in the area of West Belfast off the Falls where I was living.

The resurgence of SF only happened because they stopped the bombing and shooting, not because they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Blowing them up on insta? I highly doubt a united Ireland is top of the list as to why people are moving away from FF/FG. I would suggest banging on about the conflict/troubles when people are more interested in housing and health etc. is were government are getting it wrong, long may it continue.

and if SF manage to form a government after the next election, young people will get a lesson in reality. Housing is a complicated issue to solve and no amount of mindless "change" chants are going to do anything. I think the most likely scenario if they get in will be that they will row back on a lot of things and start trying to make excuses. I don't think a lot will change. People like you will still be waiting on the council to come around and wipe their hole.

please explain the positives the three murders of innocents i mentioned

What you are going to have to accept is that they had enough support and got to the table to negociate the solution. Something which the majority by a long shot in the nationalist community have reward them for.

The resurgence of SF only happened because they stopped the bombing and shooting, not because they did it.

The idea that they suddenly trusted SF and voted en masse for them has been laughed off of these pages before. Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If nationalists had not engaged in violence they would still be living in a sectarian state, with a sectarian police force, and being burned out of their houses by sectarians.

You have this naive view that simply given time things will change by themselves - they do not. The catalyst for change is the actions taken to bring change about. If nobody acts, nothing happens. Nationalists had been peacefully protesting for years and all that happened was the beatings got worse.

Do you believe that if NATO hadnt interevened in Belgrade, that the Serbs would eventually have turned around and stopped killing Bosnians?

I think given time, the situation in NI would have changed for the better for nationalists, yes. I am not a pacifist by any means, but in a situation where you have a 50/50 split population, violence is not the answer. I know people like you would never be convinced it could have been different.

The 'lie down and wait for Unionists/Loyalists/British to be democrats' line was never going to fly in the thick of violence being perpetrated against nationalists.

You are living in a moral high ground fantasyland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the civil rights approach was tried and it ended in bloody sunday.

continuing with that approach would haved elivered nothing but a continuation of one of the most sectarian, racist states in the world and there not only would be no united ireland, but there would be no ability for one.

the only way to overthrow the sectarian statelet of NI was a bombing campaign, a campaign which was ultimately successful in it's aims and achieved a path to a UI that won't be decided by the british government but by the people.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

of course he does, hence he included sectarian murders as part of his wrong things were done.

ultimately though his post is correct.

Well I disagree with this, but ultimately we will never know since it wasn't allowed happen. They chose the violence route and we still have sectarian hatred, bonfires etc half a century on.

Do you follow current affairs at all? Well we are supplying leased luxury apartments and customers for investment funds. If you pay tax, you should be outraged.

The housing and health and coming energy crises were created by FF/FG outside of external factors. Man on the news at one talking about how power supply infrastructure was under funded and how we were told to create back ups years ago, but didn't, now we'll be fucked pretty much. That's bad management however you spin it. These issue's are exacerbated, not caused, by the war in Ukraine and inflation. Like all social disasters, we had our own organised, years in the making. We need a change.

It was there long before the IRA got involved.

Do you know your own history at all?

There is nothing SF or nationalists can do about OO style sectarianism or hate. My father was a Fermanagh and would have told you what it was like EVERY year as the 12th approached.

I would agree we could do with a change if there was a better option but I don't think there is. I certainly don't see SF as being that option. David "up the ra" Cullinane as health minister? Pearse Doherty as finance minister?

I think FF/FG need to go. I'm happy to give literally anyone else a chance.

this is just a re-writing of reality and history so as to avoid coming to terms with what really happened.

the PIRA campaign was a huge success as it forced the british government to the table, forced the british army to a stalemate, overthrew the sectarian statelet and removed unionist dominance rule, brought about a path to end the sectarian hate crime of partition independantly of the british government.

sectarianism was never just going to go away, that was always going to be a process and the hate crime of partition wasn't just going to end due to empire fever still existing to a large or small extent depending on who was in government in britain.

a peaceful sollution was unviable, this was proved, continuing with the same approach that lead to bloody sunday would have lead to genocide of the nationalist population at worst and at best large scale ethnic cleansing of them with the rump who stayed left under an even more brutal regime then they were already enduring.

it's absolute delusion to think that northern ireland and it's issues could have been solved with a peaceful sollution given that not only did the british government ignore it and leave it to it's own devices, but it actively backed and upheld the sectarian government using violence, and used all standard empire tactics in the conflict and more.

and I would argue this is the attitude of most of the younger people who may vote for SF. I don't necessarily agree that change is always good, especially not if the option is SF who I would regard as a very sinister party, there is literally nothing I would put beyond them.

Ultimately though, it will not make a huge difference to me. If they come in and do what they say, I will just look at the situation and see if it might be better to move abroad for a while. I can work remotely from another country relatively easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Oh the unintended irony in this post, yes if the people of ireland had been left to their own devices. Wasn't that the entire point of the various revolutions/movements down through our history? A wish for the people of Ireland to decide and govern for themselves, whether it be the 1798 rebellion, the Emmett rebellion, O'Connells repeal movement, the Young Ireland movement, the fenians, the Home Rule movement and finally the Easter Rising, War of Independence. There is a common denominator in who rejected/campaigned against those wishes. Can you guess who they were?

Perhaps when the democratic will of the people in Ireland was for self determination and a Republic after the 1918 elections, if the British Government had recognised those democratic wishes and entered negotiations then instead of digging their heels in, there would likely have been a lot less bloodshed in the last 100 years. Britain left the EU with a barely over 50% majority, support for parties championing an independent Ireland in 1918 was in the 70-75% range, but hey no dice. Democracy, but only when it suits. Is it any surprise that violence ensues when the democratic will is ignored time and again?

Advertisement