Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury himself thinks beating Usyk is an absolute nothing. Talking about beating a Middleweight he is.

Two things: 6 feet 9 270 lbs Fury beats 6 feet 2/3 220 lbs Usyk won’t get any real credit.

but if he loses, his standing t and reckoning/rating in ATG sense will suffer.

no win type fight other than big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I wasn't a fan I wilder before the fights. He was exciting of course, but a complete dick. After the 3 fights, even though he was out classed comprehensively he showed incredible heard. Absolutely never-say-die attitude which I very much admire about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Regardless being undisputed is worth something and also would prove Joshua had no real business being in with fury

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

he sure knows how to create a buzz around a fight, even eddie said it would be great to promote him at one stage because he makes it so easy

between him and mcgregor they can sell tickets to anything

as for the 500m thats just bluster to try and get the highest offer on the table to make it the biggest fight he can and who can blame him, heavyweight undisputed is a massive deal

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭reclose

I think you need longevity as number 1 in the division to be considered a great. Fury hasn’t got that yet.

If he beats Usyk, fight AJ too as he’s still top 3 or 4 and then maybe whoever else emerges as a top contender.

Usyk is a little different as he already was undisputed at cruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

At the moment Fury has an opportunity to be considered great. For that to really work he needs higher calibre opposition otherwise it will always be levelled at him that he beat nobody. That’s not his fault but if he were to beat Usyk and then beat it then he will have left a lot behind him considering he has already had so much time away. For me, he needs to become undisputed which he can do and then defend the belts numerous times against whatever is out there or has yet to come. Although I’ve said that there are plenty now in the division who could hold their own at any time I think it would do his legacy good if he were to fight someone where general consensus is divided As to who would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lets be fair if he beats Usyk that is it, he can retire the best of his generation & be a great,

He can of course but if he wants to look beyond that and pass out the Klits, Lewis and more

Its difficult because there is nobody of note for him to fight left after Usyk

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭reclose

When Fury beat Klitschko he became number one. Didn’t rematch him, got banned for drugs and had mental health issues so AJ and Wilder had claims to be number 1 during that time as Fury was not fighting or defending belts.

Its only since he beat Wilder in the second fight that he reclaimed the number 1 spot.

So how long is his reign as number 1? 2 years?

Hes got to do more.

• Advertisement

He doesn’t have to do anything once he’s undisputed, fury or Usyk can sail off into tbe sunset having conquered the division

whats ge expected to do fight all the top ten heavyweights out there, for arguments sake if fury wins all the belts he’s hardly going to fight Aj and give him tbe opportunity to take all the belts back.

He went to a 10 year undefeated streak champions back yard and beat him

Took 2 years off made an absolute mess of himself then came back went to a 40 (39 kos) - 0 WBC champion back yard & beat him,

Not bad is it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big KO from Anderson Saturday night. He’s got real power but for me I think he gets hit a little easily. 12/12 so far anyway and he’s only 22

be interesting to see how he does against a higher level of opponent, he was talking about stepping up the other day

Yea he will at some point soon I think. He has plenty of time. His team would need to be careful with him though or he could get the head jabbed off him like Dubois with Joyce

I was just saying that very thing to someone

rumours going around that fury v Usyk could be on for the super bowl

That date/timing sounds about right. Early February.

Michael Hunter made a point that Usyk can use Fury’s size against him . But he actually didn’t say how, or give examples.

I think Usyk’s ring IQ, along with his feet, movement, speed and fitness could make Fury’s weight/reach/height not near as impressive as some may think.

I reckon Usyk employs tactics akin to a Jack Russell badgering and harassing a bigger slower dog. Nipping and picking and feinting, and not giving Fury time to even think, let alone allowing him gain any rhythm.

Of course that will be the plan for Usyk. Usyk is amazing and I love watching him. For me he was close to if not at his upper limit defeating Joshua. I think Fury is better than Joshua and has even more advantages so I just don’t think even Usyk will be brilliant enough to win that

• Advertisement

I think Fury will be to cute for Usyk i really do, there's nothing Usyk can throw at him that he isn't able to handle,

AJ even in the second fight was petrified of tiring or being chinned & again never put the foot down , He did for 1 round won it easy then reverted to type,

AJ , Chisora landed often on Usyk , Fury is far better than both, I think this is the step to far for Usyk where size, power & weight catch up on him,

I actually think Fury will come out & put it on him something AJ couldn't do, Bellew done it but tired, Fury will put him under pressure from bell one ,he'll take some shots himself but i think he stops him ,

Walshb we know u love to write of Fury but i think its time to realize how dame good he is,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Big difference between how Fury has performed throughout his career than the rest of his generation. Look at how Fury dealt with Whyte recently or responded to the knock down against Cunningham or dealt with much more experienced fighters in his early twenties or became a knock out fighter lately. Big knock outs.

The wins against Wilder are top wins. Getting up from Wilder's best punches. Beating Wilder to shreds. It took Wilder over 40 fights to lose. Has an amazing ko record, nearly 20 of them in the first round. Another 16 within the first 5 rounds. None of these things are easy to do, no matter what the circumstances. If Usyk had a 9th round like he did against Joshua, against Wilder, he'd be going to sleep.

Fury changed his boxing style and delivered kos. Currently, there's no one close to him as a boxer in the heavyweight division.

How Fury has evolved as a fighter is completely different to AJ. AJ's fight against Whyte was a see-saw that should have happened again. But Joshua has been a protected fighter, not his fault. He is the major Hearn cash cow. Ruiz beat himself in the second fight - partied hard and turned up huge, out of shape.

Usyk and Fury are genuine greats. The standard of the rest of the division or the generation they're in is not their fault.

Fury has a serious ring IQ and if Usyk beats him, he is truly the phenomenal boxer of his generation. I'd be speechless if The Cat managed to beat Fury. Fury is the best out there in the heavyweight division atm.

I think your analysis is spot on. And doable. It’s a super fight. It’s far from a write off for me with Fury: I think this one could be razor close.

I’d argue a couple of points here. I don’t think Joshua whyte was seesaw at all. Whyte got lucky against the run of play and rocked Joshua. Joshua was significantly better that night before the ko.

whyte, like Joshua improved a good bit after that fight but he was well softened by povetkin too. He was hesitant enough against Fury but levels.

If Usyk even goes the distance in this fight I’ll be in amazed awe nevermind winning it. I’ve always rooted for Fury and I like being right as rare a thing as that is but I’ll not know who has my support until that night

I know people on here don't rate Whyte which is fine & understandable ,

But can anyone point to a fight where Whyte has not made a real go of it, like a proper fight of it where the other guy hasn't had to work very hard & hasn't taken some punishment himself,

Fury is the first person to make Whyte look like a complete nonentity , like he looked levels & levels above him , He embarrassed Whyte,

Now do concur we don't really know what the real Whyte is like post AVP , But Fury was outstanding in how he got rid of Whyte,

I thought AJ beat Whyte very easily.

Whyte looked horrendous v Fury. Right from bell 1. Was it that he was horrendous, or Fury made it so?

Post edited by walshb on

Whyte coming out southpaw still baffles me because it’s not like fury can be thrown off his game like that, he’s very adaptable as we have seen.

not sure why whyte came out with all that bull that he was pushed and then his ankle was injured, he trained in Portugal for so long and he just didn’t look ready , I’d like to see how he fairs in the next fight which people are saying will be against dubois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭geotrig

If Usyk had a 9th round like he did against Joshua, against Wilder, he'd be going to sleep.

Usyk ,due to his style ,looks troubled to me when he blocks at times .i.e the way he iscovering everywhere and is nearly armadillo like in his blocking of heavy shots ,he does get caught not not all that much.

Now while I don't dispute that AJ won round 9 and live it looked like his redemption and win was on ! But on numerous watch backs I'm just not sure how troubled Usyk really was by it , yes he was caught with a good body blow early on which I think did trouble him overall trying to set up and gave AJ a window,it was around the 2min mark, AJ used his left to keep him close and drove the right in.

When AJ's flurry came it was mostly dodged and not a lot of decent punches landed well ,well that's what I see on many re-watches anyway . And all it has told me is ,Usyk against any of the others has the evasive and ring IQ to get out of dodge !

The only thing from fight 2 that has me favouring Fury more is that Usyk didn't land near heavy enough throughout as he did in fight 1.

Post edited by geotrig on

• Advertisement

Surely Usyk being competitive and seeing the final bell wouldn’t at all be amazing? I mean, other far less overall skilled and resourceful Fury opponents saw the bell, or at least later rds.

I feel Fury may not be given enough time/chances to do real damage, or go to work to hurt, tire and drain Usyk. Usyk will be doing his thing in there as well.

Advertisement