Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young voters' view of the Troubles on the island of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I agree. There's a reason they went from a mere 4/5% ten years ago and its not a united Ireland driving them.

I don't support SF. People use, often irrelevant stories about SF and the 'RA to deflect or change the topic when its critical of FF/FG. When you call this out you're labeled a shinner. Its immensely boring at this stage. As I posted earlier, the OP article is simply the usual spin to try turn people off SF. Its not great insight its just propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Oh my god, what a dreadful comparison. We have posters on here trying to equate the Holocaust to what the British did in the North, and claiming that the systems in the North were as bad as apartheid. Neither is true. Neither is equating Ukraine and Northern Ireland.

The closest equivalent to Ukraine is the mad idea one poster had on here that we should have invaded the North in 1969 to protect the nationalists which is the same excuse that Putin has used to invade Crimea and the Donbas. The PIRA are closest in comparison to Russian separatists in the Donbas, trying to overturn the legitimate government of the Ukraine in favour of their minority Russian population in the country. No wonder that Sinn Fein supported Putin right up until he invaded.

A very succinct, accurate and foreboding analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Any evaluation of SF as a potential candidate for government needs to take into account what they are and the actions they have taken. I understand they would prefer to keep the discussion on housing only as there is no pitfall for them. But, really, I would also look at past and current PIRA, Maria Cahill, Abu database, Mary Lou suing the media to silence them, using UK financing law to keep 4m donation (rather than 2500 that would be allowed under Irish law) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,767 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Connolly, Pearse, Tone etc etc were 'separatists'? Who knew.

Almost as funny as your 'lie down and wait until the Unionist/Loyalists/British become democrats' theories

• Advertisement

Where did I mention Connolly, Pearse or Tone. Once again, you twist and distort what other posters are saying into an unintelligible nasty point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

They bombed and shot their way there, that's the reality. And even then they achieved nothing that wouldn't have been achieved decades earlier with a less violent approach.

When SF violence was a reality they had very little electoral success, north or south. Basically we all voted nationalist in my area in the early 70s, a minority went with SF when they got into politics, that's all, they were still dwarved by other Catholic parties/candidates. Over the last 20 years they've achieved huge success, none of which happened when they were blowing people up.

To a degree post cease fire people (in the north) wanted to reward them for giving up violence, most people knew it'd help isolate the fanatics if they did well, that was definitely a factor in the success. But few people who were old enough to vote SF (IRA really) in the 70s, 80s and early 90s did so, not because they were content with everything in NI, but because we didn't agree with so-called armed struggle.

I was there in the late 60 and 70s, things had to change in the North, but the IRA poisoned it. A reaction was needed, but it was the wrong one, and it blighted too many lives. There certainly was an alternative, most people were in favour of an alternative, but the RA didn't care, they thought they knew better than ourselves what was good for us.

Great post, but I am sure it will be Francie-splained to you why you are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The delusion is strong with this one.

There was no indication that anything more could have been achieved with a "less violent" approach. Except for more catholics being run out of their homes. The PIRA campaign did not appear out of nowhere, nor was it unwanted. It was a direct response to civil rights movement members being targeted and attacked, both at public marches and in private. You seem to completely downplay the level of terror that was inflicted on the catholic community in the north - I can only imagine that you were reasonably well off and middle class (or else non-catholic) to hold those views.

It's implied in your post here:

The PIRA are closest in comparison to Russian separatists in the Donbas, trying to overturn the legitimate government of the Ukraine in favour of their minority Russian population in the country. No wonder that Sinn Fein supported Putin right up until he invaded.

Pearse, Connolly, Tone etc were after all trying to overturn the government here.

• Advertisement

Civil Rights beaten and mauled off the streets.

Sunningdale brought down by Loyalist/Unionist belligerence with the aid of the BA.

etc etc etc

Yea, they should have just been good little boys and girls and waited for what you feel in your waters might have been delivered. That sort of stuff doesn't happen in the real world.

I didn't mention Pearse or Connolly, I only mentioned the PIRA. You can make your false comparisons if you wish, but don't attribute a comparison I didn't make to me.

However, by your comparison of Pearse and Connolly as equal to Russian separatists in the Donbas, you are making it very clear where you stand on Putin.

Of course he does and the the ‘most blatant attempt to shut discussion down’ award and allow you guys to write the fantasy island account of what actually happened.

No blanch, the implications were all in what you said.

Plaintive cries of ‘but but 1916 and 21 were different’ incoming.

Failing to see anything wrong in people stepping into the breech to defend their country and communities tbh

Its entirety reasonable people be allowed defend emselves,entire streets of Catholics were being burnt out, widespread assinations....

.there was no more Bombay streets,once the pira entered the frame,they stopped mass explusions of nationalists in the 6 counties,when noone in free state government was willing to help em.....the war and pogroms come to them,and ordinary people done what needed doing to defend communities....that they face abuse and critism for doing so,shows how much a British element has entrapped and poisoned the media here.......

I have never once seen a single condemnation of burning of Bombay street,from the lovers of peace on boards....tells you the measure of these people....roll over on British atrocities and abuse nationlist for defending emselves

we are teetering on a utd ireland,which if the mass explusions and pogroms hadn't been stopped,there would be no nationalists left,no mind a nationlist majority......

what good are peace talks,and other ways,when peaceful marches are machine gunned off the streets and participants burnt from their homes?

No implication in what I said. I made a direct comparison between PIRA in Northern Ireland and Russian terrorists in the Donbas. Nothing less, nothing more.

You made up something else in your head.

Believe it or not the greater mass of the Catholic population had a right to decide what was in its own interests. It rejected the IRA, but it didn't matter because the IRA felt it knew better. The mad thing is that people who weren't even alive, or who lived in the South, now also think they know better than the people who lived through it.

I lived around the corner from Bombay Street, a bad time for sure, an awful thing was done. But many of those who lost their homes despised the IRA in the years to come. The idea that the IRA were doing a good thing got a little bit of traction for a very short period of time, but there was never a time when most ordinary Catholics didn't want them to stop what they were at.

You could go around about this forever and shout about what the army and the peelers did, and then someone else could retort with something the IRA did, and the circle would never be unbroken. But one of the truths of the time is that most Catholics wanted the IRA to stop what it was doing, but the RA didn't give a hoot.

Decades later the opinions of people who lived through those times still don't count apparently, we just didn't know enough about our own lives it seems.

and it is very easy for the likes of Mary Lou to be supportive of the IRA campaign from the comfort of Rathgar.

• Advertisement

Well, I was born a Catholic, voted for nationalist parties throughout, hurled for a club in Belfast for a number of years. I am very well off now, I wasn't then, lived in what would now be seen as poverty on the Falls. No doubt you still know more than me and the majority of Catholics who rejected the RA. Middle class, working class, whatever you like, Catholics for the most part wanted the IRA to stop. Anyone who was an adult in the North at the time knows it.

Funnily enough our opinions weren't taken into account then by the RA and years later they still don't count.

I lived through it.

You are entitled to your narrative, but it is unsupported by the facts. Are you going to tell young people that your narrative is the one true verified one?

It doesn't seem to be working does it?

And yet we have ex-presidents of Ireland,from Belfast,whom grew up there,and whom attempted to join the pira and rightly compared the oppression to what nazis done to Jews

Anyone has a right to be free and to defend their communities,when noone else will,it's reasonable for them to come together to do so...... The fact that nationlists couldn't be driven from the north still clearly sticks in the caw,

governments in the south done nothing,police done nothing,army was there months before they started blaggarding......who were they keeping peace between in crossmaglen,a community 99.7% Catholic??

We're meant to be,despite efforts by ffg,a neutral country,yet we have British army barracks being used on our island to commerate a man,who shots disabled people in the back and not an iota out of so called peace lovers in critism....I smell hyprocrisy

If people who weren't there or weren't alive at the time don't believe me, there's nothing I can do about it.

But for those who do think that the IRA were representing the majority of Catholics, I'd really urge you to take a look at the election results from the time.

It's not that most Catholics were necessarily happy with NI, but they definitely did not feel the IRA were going to improve anything. And they did want them to stop.

Anyway, that's all I've to say, won't be replying again. No doubt many people without memories of living in the north during the Troubles will be here in a minute to educate everyone.

Would comparing em to be Ukrainians standing up against forgien oppression,not be more realistic??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who was nearly pulled into a car after wandering down the wrong direction after a night clubbing in Kelly's in Portrush in the 90's or going on holidays to the Isle of Man during the mid 80's and seeing your dad and his friends getting **** from thug's from the north on the other side, then not realizing that your dad from the arsehole of Kerry and quiet brother my uncle are tough hardened and able to handle themselves. And you don't know why strange men with tatoos and shaved head s and handle bar mustaches are talking about. Effin Fenian bstrds, taigs and what not.

It's easy for Karen's and the male version to think their generation know about the North and the troubles I say they know FCK all. Only for their so called toxic masculinity and home stead tough women , they stood their ground against the imperialists and British boot on their necks.

The liberals of today advocate strength under the guise of covert weakness and cuckold mentality.

The liberals of yesterday were tough, masculine, feminine and weren't afraid of the system and looking back only for those men and women the Catholics and Nationalists would be in a different place today.

TK FCK the northern trouble's didn't have wokeness and liberal shoite because it would have turned very nasty for everyone.

We don't know how many supported the IRA and elections are a pointless indicator, given that SF was for a time ambivalent to them and when they did decide on contesting them, they were censored, intimidated and their workers were shot dead in some cases.

Despite that they made steady inroads into the SDLP vote even during the conflict/war. By 1989 in local elections, they had half the vote (11%) the SDLP(22%) got, and increased it all through the 90's.

What you are plainly talking about is 'some' catholic opinion.

My view is that most wanted peace but could understand why the IRA existed and could see and experience themselves the reasons.

That complexity explains why the electorate moved en-masse to SF after the GFA.

You don't 'hate' an organisation and then suddenly start voting wholeheartedly for them...makes zero sense and of course lacks any nuance Sunny.

Hilarious stuff.

The reality was, and still is, that the toxic masculinity of extreme belligerent nationalists on both sides are the root cause of all the problems.

Claiming violence as the solution to problems is as toxic as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

So would you stand there and let thug's harass your sister's and mum, that's as toxic as it gets. Doing nothing...

Toxic masculinity is a construct by weak men who are obedient to do anything to please someone who wants to bully and control them into submission. Real men will fight for their community, in an ironic way both peaceful Nationalists and Loyalist will admit they would have been the same if they were on the other side.

It's all history now, hell I even have a loyalist friend I have stay at mine now and again and we go fishing, hiking and hunting together. We were pegged beside each other at a big angling competition back in 2002 and are great friends. But we both understand each other's principles.

Advertisement