Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Here's the other thing, when I signed up and had a smart meter, I had no choice but to select a smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leaveitwithme

Just switched to Bord Gais electricity only plan. It looked the best deal in the market but having doubts after finding this thread, current provider is electric Ireland and we are on the value reward plan, current rate is 0.2580 with annual standing charge €302.92

We don't really do the night rate or smart so best kwh rate and standing charge is important. Bord Gais is 0.2017 with annual standing charge of €281.12

Is this the right move ? I still have 14 days cooling off but just having some doubts, like I'm missing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

There is no requirement to move to a smart plan, we’ve had a smart meter for over two years and always stay on a standard plan when switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Can you opt for a Day/Night price plan with your smart meter or are you limited to the 24 hr pricing plan?

I see fro the Sunday papers they are talking about the need to introduce a "blackout levy" of about €45 per year. So they they are scrapping the PSO levy and now talking about introducing the blackout levy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Who has the lowest standing charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

Not something I’ve checked out. We’re on a 24 hour plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

They are useful for those who want to charge an electric car or have a heatpump heating system which can do the morning house warming and hot water tank filling during the night. Also, dishwashers can have start timers, along with washing machines and dryers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Im the same, might bide my time for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

I only switched to sse at the start of the month it's criminal what they are doing. Have the biggest discount get people locked in and jack up the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Except the Energia EV plan which has fixed unit rates for the duration of the contract. If I were a new Airtricity customer, I’d pay the break fee to switch to that Energia plan.

You have the option of paying the contract break fee (usually €50) & moving to an alternative supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Energia offered me 20% off before I switched. I moved, they then called and offered 33%, I asked them to call me back when I was at home. They did several times but I missed them. Got an email today offering a free Google Nest Hub 2nd Gen.

Is it 14 working days or 14 days & does the day you switch count as day 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Haven’t a clue but either way I’m within 14 days of switching. Not sure if it makes any sense to cancel the switch to airtricity if the general consensus is that everything else is going up.

So if I cancel the switch, do I then wait until everybody else changes their rates and then do a bonkers comparison? At that stage mightn’t airtricity be the cheapest which means I would of possibly missed a month or two of cheaper services ?

Or, you could just go for Energia’s EV plan (I don’t believe an EV is a requirement) and lock in the unit rates for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭go4it

From the plan's FAQ

Q: Do I need to have an electric car charger installed to avail of this electric car charging tariff?

A:Yes you will need to have an Electric Car Charger installed to avail of this offer.

Not sure how/if they check you have a EV charger

What's the biggest discount someone got from Energia please? They're offering me 33%, thought I saw someone mention 37% or 39%

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭keos

This from the FAQ on the EV plan page.

Do I need to have an electric car charger installed to avail of this electric car charging tariff?

Yes you will need to have an Electric Car Charger installed to avail of this offer.

Any link to the part it says the rates of that tariff are fixed please? I couldn't find that information on the offer page (https://www.energia.ie/products/product-page?productId=35385&productRateId=195554)

• Advertisement

The relevant language is under “Please Note.” This was sent to me upon signing up.

For what it’s worth, they didn’t ask me about a car charger, though I do have one. I doubt they could verify one way or another.

I actually have an Ev. Do I sign up for their fixed unit rate on a comparison site or do I go-to their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I switched to SSE Airtricity end of July using Bonkers. I thought my contract agreed to a unit rate and standing charge but was told by Bonkers your contract is only with the percentage discount. The consumer isn't protected at all really. The electricity company can jack up the price as high as they want before you even get your first bill and the only thing you're actually guaranteed is the percentage discount.

Now that doesn't sound right to me. I was wondering do Bonkers state somewhere on the site that unit rates aren't fixed and can change?

The consumer has zero protection here apparently even if they agree to a contract as far as I can see. I didn't get my first bill yet anyway and don't know when SSE are jacking up their prices or by how much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It actually says 'variable rate' in black and white. SSE rates rise on 01 Oct. New rates are on their website

Oh right I did it through bonkers.ie so I didn't see that. Ok thanks.

I was chatting with bonkers and the person I was chatting with, who was really helpful, said reg didn’t have fixed rates through their website and maybe you had to contact them directly?

She also suggested I cancel the airtricity signup and redo it through electric ireland cause they made their price changes in august which means they are more likely to be slower to increase again soon. I get they may increase again but i took it to mean that the rate I’m getting now is a good deal now, certainly far better then the one with airtricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

At this stage any standing charge below 300 a year is 'good value' relative to other companies charging 400+ a year. They are all rightly taking the piss with standing charges, mine was 127 two years ago with Glow Power, nowadays 280 is considered cheap.

Before your 14 days period is up go direct to Energia and see how they compare. Energia dont always have all their plans listed on Bonkers or other comparison websites. If they do have a better deal on their website then ring them up and see can you talk the unit rate discount to 37% rather than the 30-33% often offered initially as that what another poster got here a few days ago and it seems to be their upper limit from the old discount of 41%.

fwiw your 0.2017 unit rate with BG is good but bear in mind that Airtricty jacked their prices 35% and we can expect other power companies to follow soon. Its just a matter of how much they are all going to hike it.

• Advertisement

You're lucky you found out in time. I changed to SSE 27th July so too late for me to change. I'd have to pay 50 euro exit fee. So you can get fixed rates but you have to go directly to the actual utility company you're signing up with. Good to know for next time anyway.

Advertisement