Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young voters' view of the Troubles on the island of Ireland.

Options

Comments

Imagine thinking are wrong to want an end to stop and Search each time they go out and checkpoints whenever they go anywhere

Aiden mcenespie was one of few to document and go through formal complaints of abuse/intimidation by soldiers,had something like 200 formal complaints ,they still murdered him......

all these years later and abuse hurled at anyone who dare stand up and defend emselves or dare suggest this was wrong.....by same people who screamed house down at minor inconveniences during COVID

Toxic masculinity would be protesting against schoolgirls going to school,throwing bottles of piss and blast bombs at em....but these type events are shrugged off,to abuse anyone who dare suggest people should be treated equal in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 27,769 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"Real men with fight for their community."

That sort of glorification of toxic masculinity, of sorting things out with fists, is what causes most of the world's problems. If this country should have learned one lesson from the PIRA terrorist campaign, it is that violence solves nothing.

Standing upto someone in a position of power,isn't toxic masculinity....it's bravery

For someone with 50k or so posts across several accounts virtually all devoted to sinn fein,and the obvious time spent online to reach this number.....seems you haven't even learned basic phrases or meanings behind them......

it's a level of intellectual dishonesty that is differicult to describe,lead yous to your present wum position....but sure we're dealing with someone who simply shrugs off streets full of nationlists being burnt out,and demands they lie down and let it continue

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...other than sectarian policing, systematic discrimination, state backed violence, disenfranchisement....O and Hitler. But except for them, and the American revolution, the greek revolution, the Irish war of independence and that sort of thing, violence has solved nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,765 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why wouldn't you direct that at those who violently beat civil rights marchers off the streets or who burned people out of their homes because they were a religion they didn't like?

Violence begets violence, no amount of pious onesided claotrap is going to change that.

There is always blame during a war/conflict, but the primary blame here lies with a government(the British) that took a side and failed the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Lol it solved a lot of things throughout history, I'd prefer that kind of violence rather than encouraging people who aren't even grow up to chops off their bit's because some purple haired freak say's it's ok.

I don't condone violence but, in some situations violence is your only hope. I had to violently defend myself years ago because I was being set upon in the wrong place in the north. I took off my belt and used the buckle to virtually buckle two lads. It was either that or be another statistic.

They knew no better, just a southern lad in the wrong place and he's a target. I totally understood I wasn't welcome. I shouldn't have been pissed and in the wrong place,it was their territory.

But I fought them off. They knew I was a bit mad,so they got back into their Vauxhall and sped off.

If anyone remember back in the early 90's most lads wore a leather belt, with a big buckle and 501's when going out I had a red t-shirt that evening, fruit of the loom with my war story splattered all over it. I wore it proud, why might you ask?

I was a young man, and I knew no better.

You probably would have gotten into the car for an aul friendly lift down the road.

Yeh, you'll find with the high moral grounders that there is always a right kind of violence/terrorism and a wrong one.

Ya mate,noone is buying your faux-innocence

Tell us some more,how the Nazis would have been beaten by peaceful means and the slave in Eastern Europe should have lay down and be slaughtered.....or is this only demanded of Irish nationalists in Ireland

Sorry now, you have said something about me and discord channels. What exactly are you talking about?

Withdraw or substantiate.

• Advertisement

Taught you didn't know what they were🤪....yous reply gives enough substance

Should Nelson Mandela and anc laid down and be slaughtered and oppressed in South Africa,or is this standard only demanded of Irish nationalists in Ireland?

I don't, I googled them and they are something to do with some app. Not me. You are making false allegations about another poster, not for the first time.

Well then I entirely withdraw them🧐.....and you deffo never used discord channels

even deleted it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

"There is no crime in detecting and destroying in wartime the spy and informer. They have destroyed without trial. I have paid them back in their own coin" - Said by Some Toxic Masculinist that FF/FG were idolising last week

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It wasn't war in the North, and that was a different time.

We know Francie, you want to bring back Brian Boru and summary beheading and sh!tting in the streets. Times haven't changed in your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

It's cool when your not old enough to remember......you can still find articles online refering to old ira,in same terms people refer to pira

British propaganda simply deosnt update (same arguements also wheeled out by em,in Maltese independence referendum as for irish reunification)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

It's in the realm of "sorting things out with fists" though isn't it blanch? Something you deem to be in the realm of "toxic masculinity"?

You should get on to Zelensky over in Ukraine, inform him to lay down his toxic fists and fight with flowers and greeting cards

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

your problem is your trying to ague with preprogramed shinner bots who are following party line to re write history so that the ira look like heroic freedom fighters instead of a a blight on their own people in an effort to gain power for themselves ,

some of us actually remember the troubles as they happened not how the shinnerbots like to tell the tale

its been said here before the nationalist community in the north were a lot more afraid of the ira than the army or police.

not to mention all those post ceasefire and current criminal activities and links

sounds like real hero's.

trying to whitewash history so they can snatch power in the south is just a change of tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

If you think the IRA will start blowing people up you're not worth bothering with.

Sunny made the claim that it was only with the signing of the GFA that support came for SF. That has been shown to be a white wash, support for SF was growing throughout the eighties and into the nineties against a concerted effort to suppress them.

He/she also whitewashes events by claiming the IRA were hated by most Catholics/Nationalists, but cannot explain credibly how almost as many Nationalists voted for SF as the SDLP at the time of the GFA and shortly after totally destroyed the SDLP, who have never recovered.

Remembering that the IRA didn't decomission until late 2001 - the theory that people who 'hated' them suddenly trusted them is completely without credibility. If you actually lived through it you would know how fragile the process was and it takes some amount of withewash to come up with Sunny's views tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I see no difference between the IRA of the 1970's and 1980's and Collins' campaign. We had people back then telling everyone to stick with the empire and bide our time, while they had it nice themselves. They condemned the rebels as murderers. Roll on 70/80/100 years the same type are trying to canonise Collins. And in another 100 years the same type will be trying to own Bobby Sands. The problem with the troubles/conflict is pretending to care or be outraged is all they have to hide behind as SF start taking seats off them.

They ignored Ulster and only use its victims when politically expedient. They have absolutely no credibility and no shame.

Anytime a minister is caught up to no good, start waffling about the 'RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

only one group here trying to rewrite history francie ,

why are and were the nationalist community in the north more afraid of the ira than the brits ?

😁😁 Is this how your historical understanding works Mike...some vague recollection of something somebody said on boards becomes a fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The last sentence of his article is:

"A permanent obstacle to reconciliation has reared up on the political landscape."

The only permanent obstacle I can see is unionist obtuseness. They have been at it for well over 100 years now, and if it wasn't clear before this it should be now: demographics is driving change.

Unionists are old and shuffling off towards the grave in ever-greater num ers, and not being replaced at anything like the same rate. Younger people from a unionist background have three options other than becoming nationalists.

1. The can remain Unionists; some take this option.
    2. They can (and do) emigrate to Blighty or elsewhere and stay there.
    3. They can vote for intermediate, non-sectarian choices such as Alliance and the Greens.

Emerson is a unionist with a good press in the south, but as can be seen from the quote above, at heart he remains an unrepentant unionist, who probably feels the nationalists should be kept outside in the kennel. At least that is what I take from this and other comments of his.

Oh, to end: I love his choice of words. There was a time when he would have used the word "re-unification". The choice of "reconciliation" might mean that he sees the writing on the wall, but doesn't like the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I doubt if many 'young voters' will venture here to read this. But if they do, they'll soon get a taste of what Real Sinn Féin activists are about. And the promotion/ defence of despicable violence doesn't paint the party in a good light. Maybe it needs another generation or so to shuffle off before this can be put behind.

I am certainly not promoting violence nor never did. I understand why it happened and where it 'all' came from and it wasn't just one community.

Maybe yoing people see it as being more complex. Maybe they see how Dublin ignoring what was happening facilitated violence against their fellow countrymen and women? That seems to be what is happening.

Seems to me it is the partitionist mentality that is dying on it's feet. Even FG have cast it off in public. And the viewpoint has never found a political voice here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Too little is made of the fact that Michael Collins and Liam Lynch were holding talks in 1922 about plans to create an "Army of the North" that would annex the six counties of Northern Ireland through a campaign of guerilla warfare.

FG can't square that circle, they just rely on nobody much thinking about it.

Advertisement