Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Time to get rid of SG. He has been found out completely.

Nothing with this team is any better then it was when he took over.

And he is clueless tactically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nothing I just watched makes any sense. He needs to go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think the line will be that we were unlucky to lose to a deflected goal but in reality we did nothing to deserve 3 points.

There were so many things wrong today Bailey on for Ings with 14 minutes to go was ridiculous. Assuming we lose to Arsenal and City I think the earliest SG will go will be if we lose against Leicester which will be 5 PL games in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

I just can't really make out a game plan at all..... play slow, intricate passes to feet through the centre as opposition gets their defence set, then pass it wide to Digne or Cash as we run out of ideas for them to try cross to an isolated Ings......

No speed, no urgency, no turn and tear into them with Watkins and Ramseys pace dragging them all over the place for Ings to look for gaps. Just pass to isolated player, to pass to another isolated player, to pass it backwards to McGinn or Luiz to pass it to isolated player......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Most on here doubted the appointment but we're hoped to be wrong , they need to get replacement lined up ASAP but it's enevitable what's going to happen.

They need to move fast

Post edited by sc86 on

• Advertisement

The biggest worry at the moment, is with 1 winger at the club, any new manager is going to be fairly stuck.

Lange should be held responsible for letting Gerrard imbalance the squad to this extent.

I wouldn’t let Gerrard near any further funding but wingers should be the exception.

And to think people (not here) were taking about Villa being a stepping stone to Liverpool for Gerrard

I see rumours now of a bust up between mings and Gerrard before the game on twitter , mings was initially down to start they say.

Who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

It's just turning into an embarrassing circus act at this stage, the blame lies at everyone.

Villa have run the least on average of a premier League club.

It's very similar to the Man United situation I think, too many of the same players who have gotten too comfortable, usually after they get a hefty new improved contract, different managers can't get a tune out of them. They need to be shipped out and bring in new hungry players. Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Watkins all hit their ceiling a few years ago when they were fighting for improved contracts.

Two sides to every story and as much as I haven't ever warmed to Gerrard, I'd love to know what he thinks has gone wrong. Why has no player improved under him.

Sounds similar to when Roy Keane came in as no 2 to Lambert and had bust ups with many of the players who were comfortable and didn't wanna change.

The recruitment for past 2 summers has been dire it has to be said

• Advertisement

Where are the rumours coming from? Honestly if this is true and someone takes Gerrard’s side over Mings’ they do not belong involved with the club.

Mings may make some ropey mistakes but he is a club legend already. Gerrard shouldn’t even be at the club.

If players have turned on him then he done , easier sack manager then get rid of all these players he's annoyed

Leon Bailey to ajax doing the rounds now

Same players got Smith the sack, they are equally to blame and should look at themselves in the mirror too.

They’re not though. This is not on the players who are giving 100% despite horrendous tactical instructions. There is nobody phoning it in out there.

I read a stat that said Villa have run the least in the league this season. How is that not on the players?

That's entirely on the players as it comes down to the basics, work rate and attitude, and unfortunately a manager cannot do the reps for the players.

The players have gotten Smith the sack not even 12 months ago, they are largely to blame. Stop protecting them with your anti Gerrard stance.

McGinn can barely run after 70 mins, he gasses out.

Too many Deli Alli types in the squad who have gotten too much ££ too soon, new manager will make little difference to those types.

If the players were giving 100% as you say, they wouldn't all have regressed as individuals and collectively as a team.

I can't see how an entire squad of players just switch off and become lazy, without it being something to do with the manager or his tactical set up. I just think that Gerrard is finding himself a bit out of his depth at this level and not having the experience to spot and fix the subtle, fine tuning that's needed.

For most of the game today, we were the better team, just needed that little fine tuning or luck to win it and then tonight's discussion would be all different.

Instead Gerrard took of Luiz, who was forming a solid base in midfield with Kamara, instead of tired McGinn (possibly because he's Stevies Captain), and suddenly West Ham started to find gaps. And it was a shot from outside the box exactly where Luiz was holding that (jammily deflected) went in. Poor choices, not a team that didn't care

Mind you, there is one player who's form has plummeted and that's Konsa. Whatever niggly injury he had last season, he's gone from unflappable and super fast at covering, to absolute liability under and high ball or pressure, and somehow always not quite getting the block in.

Distance covered is a horrible metric to discuss whether players are giving 100%.

Particularly after 4 games against opponents who have been largely happy to let us have the ball, knowing we’re not set up to do anything with it.

66% possession against Bournemouth, 58% against both Everton and West Ham and 49% against Palace.

Watch how our distance covered flies up when we’re against Arsenal and City and chasing shadows for 90 minutes.

We can all talk then about how great their work rate and attitude were as we lament our inevitable hiding.

Funny how Spurs players hardly ran for Nuno, they were bottom of the pile, then Conte comes in and flips those stats and spurs go on and finish top 4. Horrible metric alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Players will run with a purpose or when they understand what they are supposed to be doing. If they are not sure of where they are supposed to be or what they are supposed to be doing, then work rate will fall. I think that’s what we’re seeing here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The only relevant metric is "ideas had" and at the moment the xIdeas is zero.

Playing against 3 at the back, our 2 up top works well. Look at the first half yesterday and against Everton as good examples.

However once Everton took off Coady and went to a back 4 and yesterday when West Ham took off their left back and moved Cresswell over to lb again changing to a back four, we struggled with 2 up top because they had 5 to our 4 in the midfield.

The damning thing is that we didn’t respond to this move at all. This is on Gerrard and if he can’t see it, then what are Critchley Danks, and McAllister at. Surely they have to game plan what ifs in the run up to a game.

If they can't be arsed making runs, tracking back, making an extra sprint to stop a cross or support a teammate, that's nothing on the manager, it's players not making the effort, not 100% as was said. An u12 team know this is the minimum requirement.

I'm in the Gerrard out camp, but the players need to shoulder the blame too, they are playing this game all their lives, are professionals, it's the second manager who can't get a performance out of them, they underperformed for Smith too for 12 months and got him the sack.

The players mentioned are on the best contracts of their lives and have been in a their comfort zone for far too long.

I agree that there are worrying signs from players who have been there for a long time and they don’t seem to be running through brick walls for this manager or for Smith either.

However you gave the example of Spurs yourself and that shows the effect a good manager and good game plans have on work rate.

I’m convinced that Smith lost his way tactically without O’Kelly, Terry and most importantly Jack Grealish and that impacted how we went out and were set up to play. He was trying to shoehorn Ings, Buendia and Watkins into his type of system and that wasn’t his style. He wanted to play with wingers.

In comes Gerrard, and he suddenly rips up the template that had given us our successes. Wingers no longer used and midfielders were expected to be covering as full backs.

The players don’t look happy but they seem to want to do well. I was there to see the celebrations after the Everton win and they were all delighted and were really celebrating the win.

Its almost as if certain managers have different styles. Some who want to be defensively solid and force the opposition to break them down, while others want to be very on the front foot and press quickly to win the ball back.

Can only be down to laziness obviously and can’t be caused by tactical differences. If we truly believe that the main thing Conte did to improve Spurs was getting them to run more, we are playing a blinder here.

Your quote about the players all trying 100% is not true for me, I've backed it with why, running/sprints is a great KPI of who's trying.

Clearly you didn't like that stat as it's gone against your narrative here which is to focus all the blame on the manager.

The problem is that the stats you’ve gone with, don’t actually say what you think they say. I’m not going to question your understanding of tactics because I don’t know you, but saying that distance covered is a metric for attitude and how much players are trying is just completely wrong.

That doesn’t mean you’re wrong about the players, that’s entirely opinion based (I disagree with your opinion), but acting like those stats are something to beat the players with is just miles off.

No problem CSF, let's agree to disagree on me saying that all players aren't trying 100%

Think we are both in agreement that Gerrard needs to be removed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

How much faith do the board have in SG I wonder?

Will they back him in the remainder of the window and hope for best or leave the next two games play out decide then.

If you're going to allow him buy players you can't sack him soon after.

There's a decent amount of backroom staff that would be part of the SG team too, it's a costly affair to get rid of them.

He is definitely on the brink. I think the biggest question is whether it’s the City game or the Southampton one that is the dealbreaker.

Ive never seen fans so unanimously against someone. Bruce had a sizeable enough band of supporters until the very end.

From what I’ve seen (this is just me discussing what I’ve seen and may not be 100% accurate) the only game he came over to applaud the fans was the Everton one, over to lavish on his praise. He definitely didn’t yesterday. Straight down the tunnel.

I think he'll have a free swing at the next two games versus Arsenal and City.

Leicester and Southampton are up after that, those games will dictate his fate IMO.

Might be the case. I think getting sacked after 3 points from 18 is an equally plausible scenario though.

Will ultimately come down to whose voice is shouting loudest. Purslow won’t want to rush into it, but the owners may feel differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

This is so bad. We are all agreed on the issues with Gerrard. But in my mind, on top of having to clear Gerrard (and his staff) out, we have to clear out Purslow. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) he's the one responsible for hiring Gerrard. As mentioned both here, and in other places, we have no clear style or system of play. Purslow has to live and die by his decision to dump Smith, and hire Gerrard, and it has gone very wrong. He has to also go. We need to have someone at the helm who has a clear vision for the club.

Sorry, rant over. I'm just frustrated as I look ahead to Arsenal and City, and thinking that we have spent a huge amount of money on this coach and his staff, with zero progress.

You never know SG might get a result against Arsenal or City, Steve Bruce would often get to the brink of getting the sack and then pull out a result just in time to save his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Very good post analysis of the West Ham game on MOTD2. If pundits like Mica Richards can clearly explain the in balance of the team to the layman then why can't a highly paid manager implement this?

The lads went to great lengths to outline a lack of wingers to service the forward players and stress this has been part of the problem for a long time. Maybe Gerrard will watch the re run and get some ideas !!!

Bournemouth not wasting time, Parker sacked after 9-0 loss.... they beat us on 1st day

The fact that nobody we’ve played has won a game that wasn’t against us is seriously bleak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

There may have been something going on behind the scenes that I don't know about (I'm not going to claim to know much about Bournemouth) - it seems Parker made some comments about them not spending enough money. But this seems very harsh. 4 games into the season. They lost to Liverpool, City and Arsenal. The only game they played against a non top 6 team (us!), they won.

They are newly promoted so presumably they were happy enough with him at that point. So how can the owner look at the first 4 games and think 'if he only has 3 point from those 4 games, he's gone.' Ridiculous. Their next games are: Wolves, Forest, Brighton, Newcastle, Leicester, Brentford, Fulham, Southampton and West Ham.

Our situation is different. We are losing to poor teams, and our poor form stretches back into last season.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Rodgers out, Gerrard out, Rodgers in would be my hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I hadn’t even noticed that. God that’s depressing.

Gerrard on transfers

“It’s possible we’ll be doing more. There are one or two things we’re analysing. If things go our way we could have one or two new faces in but it’s not straightforward as people think. We’ll do our best, people are working hard in the background to support me in those areas. It was a blow to lose Diego Carlos as he was out major statement signing – having him missing has certainly been felt.

“There is also a possibility that two or three might go out before the deadline. I’m hoping that’s the case as you feel their frustration about the lack of gametime and hopefully there is football for them elsewhere.”

I see that he is pointing out how people are working hard in the background to support him.

In an ideal world and wishful thinking on my part but Pochettino would be my choice though Rodger’s would be an improvement on what we have. Maybe the board are waiting for Rodger’s to get sacked so there’s no compensation, I think we paid Rangers 4 million for SG.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Douglas Luiz being linked to Ath.Madrid, really cannot afford to lose him this window.

Looked for a while like it was gonna change tonight….but nope

And Liverpool in the race too. He'd be mad to want to stay here with a manager who doesn't rate him with the world cup coming up. We are in real trouble if he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's too late to sell him surely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement