Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you move seats to allow families sit together on flights?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It depends. If I am only travelling with hand luggage I am very strategic on where I pick the seats. Aisle seat as close to the back as I can possibly get. I do my best to be the first on the plane and first off so that I get through customs quickly.

In that case no I wouldn't.

If I have checked in luggage, I will need to wait for it when I get off so I usually pick a middle seat and don't care where I sit. I'd have no problem changing seats then.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Duchamp

I wouldn't have a problem swapping if it was for a genuine reason. In their case though, the guy said he'd move when he realised she was travelling with kids. When when cabin staff arrive, she calls him a 'f***** particular piece of s**t'

You wouldn't get my arse off that seat to swap after that. The only ones acting like 't**ts' are these self entitled muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

People shouldn't be expecting someone who has paid extra for a specific seat to move because they were either too lazy, stingy or stupid to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

Nope, I've heard the name ok, but never even saw it advertised in any of the Country's I've worked in, let alone shown on TV. But how do you link it to my comment?? Fly with PIA and i what happened to me is a pretty common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

“The guy was sitting in the aisle seat and Spencer was like ‘Would you mind doing window instead of aisle so we can be all together.’ 

“And he was like ‘Yes Spencer, I would mind.'” 

The mother-of-three said her and Matthews initially responded by saying “oh, okay dude, that’s okay,” but when the mam realised he was being an asshole and saw her with the newborn baby he said he would swop

I was like, dude and there is more

I read all of this in an American accent. Some Irish girls are more American than the Yanks themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Who told you I paid extra for a specific seat? That's untrue, rebuke them and tell them to stop pulling your leg and making a fool out of you on the internet. As I said, I was travelling alone I moved for families with small kids so that they could fly together and will do again

I never said you paid extra for anything, I'm talking about you giving out about people like me who pay extra to pre book a seat and you seem to think we should move just to please someone else.

Since when is someone in a leg brace & using crutches allowed occupy an emergency exit seat?

Don't you have to have be in good enough physical condition to sit in these seats in case of an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Exactly what I was thinking. My brother in law has a prosthetic leg and can't book the middle (extra leg room) seat because he need's to be fully mobile to operate the emergency exits.

Ah, you must have mistakenly quoted me then.

In future make sure to take care when quoting people and ensure you've quoted the right person, I never gave out about people like you who pay extra or pre book a seat. You're just confusing the thread and misrepresenting people. As I said, when travelling alone I will happily move for families with small kids so that they could fly together and will do again. I hope you'll do the same and someone else will and other people will do for you when you're travelling with family.

happy flying and be nice, don't make a fuss, it's just a flight, like being on a bus, no big deal, you'll get used to it in time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You learn something new everyday. I knew there was an option to pay extra for flights to choose specific seats but it is not something I thought many people would do regularly. It wouldn't even have occurred to me that if an air hostess told me to sit in a specific seat that I was inconveniencing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would change seats for someone immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well, maybe it never occurred to you that some, of not many, people have to sit on an aisle seat and so pay extra to secure one. Personally, I'd have no problem moving, I don't need quick and easy access to a toilet at all times, I don't have a fear of flying and I don't suffer from travel sickness, but I do understand if someone wouldn't want to move and wouldn't be calling them names before I took into account the many possible reasons for them needing that aisle seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

In all of the times I've either been asked to move seats or seen someone asked to move seats, I have never seen the 'asker' offer money to the 'askee'.

They could have specifically paid for that seat to avoid the middle, be closer to the back for quick exit etc.

No I didn't misquote you.

The post is there where you said someone who won't move from the seat they paid extra for are a manchild or a karen.

It hasn't happened to me yet where someone has asked me to move but if it ever does I'm going nowhere unless the offer is for a better seat.

Nope, I never mentioned anyone paying extra for a particular seat. Sorry, wrong person.

I (unlike you) have been politely asked and I moved. Nobody was hurt or injured, I don't have a fragile ego so I wasn't upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I always book a seat and it's always the aisle seat. I'd consider moving for someone but only to another aisle seat (and only if it's like 1 or 2 rows away as I don't want to end up moving my bags or waiting for everyone to get off so that I can go back and get them!).

Everyone is able to book a seat so the people who think we should move for them because they couldn't be ar$ed planning ahead should be told to f off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No it didn't occur to me. That was the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭patmahe

I have done and would do again as long as the seat I'm going to doesn't see me squashed in in a corner or middle seat. But its a choice, nobody is obliged to move if asked and you know that getting on the plane. The only exception is if you are a jumped up wannabe celebrity.

Flight is hilarious. You'd swear people booked a box in Teatro All Scala. It's a bus with wings get over yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I sat in a free seat once when boarding. The one I booked was middle row whereas I like sitting near a window.

Shortly after, a man approached and as stroppy as you can imagine, said it was his. When I asked if he was sure, he got even more aggressive towards me.

Anyhow, apparently passengers aren't allowed in the cockpit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s a comfort thing.

if I book a seat I expect to sit in it, the actual one I booked.

if I get to a free un reserved seat I expect to stay in it… first come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

If I'm on my own I'd definitely move, I think it's nice for a family to sit together on a flight and it's something I remember enjoying going on holidays as a kid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I would (and have in the past) give up my seat so as a young family could sit together on a flight. If asked nicely and the replacement seat is fine, no problem. But I was brought up to have good manners and be considerate of others.

Real bang of complete self-centeredness off many on this thread. But that's no real surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I saw this over the papers all week and what I'd like to know...wtf is Vogue willams and spenny? don't watch that reality rubbish so presume its some z lister from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have moved from time to time. But it really depends on the way it is asked, the seat I am being asked to swap to, the journey and the mood I am in. I am not tall but I do have a tendency to get up and take a stroll from time to time on long haul flights (Also, small bladder 😀) so I look for an outside seat so that I am not climbing over somebody. I would not swap my edge seat for an inner seat. However if they want to shift people around so that I would be on an equivalent seat and asked nicely, then yeah. These things happen.

I would not expect to be DEMANDED to leave my seat for an inferior seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

It was the front seat facing the bulkhead (row 2), not the seats closest to the door. I thought that as well, as I often was told I couldnt have bags or coats on the ground when sitting in row 1 or front row 2.

The more I look back on it now, the more irrate I am getting and regret not asking they move. But if you make any fuss on a plane these days, you're at risk of being dragged out by the police for endangering lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭newhouse87

paid 240euro to book emergency exit seats to las vegas in few months for me and girlfriend, not a hope would i move for anybody after paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think it’s a little harsh that people who don’t want to give up their comfort and seat and by doing so in addition….will have to start scrambling along the aisle of an aircraft, during boarding , looking for a free seat and to possibly re-stow bags.. get labeled as self centred ?

self centred I’d say is taking something from and inconveniencing people who did no more then book, show up and sit in the seat they selected and maybe paid extra for.

if I’m travelling with children I’m simply selecting seats and purchasing seats at the time I purchase the ticket… I won’t be inconveniencing myself or fellow passengers..

that’s being considerate of others.

Advertisement