Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb smart meter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It is strange you can't go back to a standard tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I believe the monitoring dashboard will be made available just that its not available yet. Could be a few years out though. Plenty cheap electricity monitors can do the same thing anyway, you dont need a smart meter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

After the installation of the smart metre, our electricity bill has jumped from around €150 for a two-bed appartment to €600 for the billing period to date. Note €150 is for two months, whereas the €600 is for less than one momth I don't go for conspiracy theories but this is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Level 1 is the worst, manual read required. Must be little or no 2G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Plenty of devices available to monitor electricity and smart meter are just the latest scam by ESB....they woll force everyone to get them long term but its a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Prior to installation of the smart meter were your bills showing estimated or actual readings?

Last bill prior to the installation was my own reading. My bill before that was estimated. In general, the estimated readings were higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I use a shelly EM.

If you look back on boards.ie you'll see lads creaming their knickers to get them installed and anyone with any doubt being labeled a "tinfoil hat" brigader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I got a thing for a tenner off adverts, Owl, it done the job for 12 months to size for Solar PV and then the system came with monitoring and 5s updates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Can I ask what's probably a really stupid question about these meters?

I had one in my last house but it was just a meter upgrade without a change in tariff. In my new house I'm still on a 24 hour plan, but the meter is set up for day/peak/night. So I was able to find out that A+T1 is night, A+T2 is day, and A+T3 is peak. Is A+ just the total reading, as in these three added together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Totally share this frustration on not having real-time monitoring ability. I just called ESB Networks out of curiosity to ask if I could access the data from the meter and they said no, and also that there was some sort of app in development-seems like a good business opportunity for app developers actually. So it seems to be the case that ESB Networks and my supplier (Bord Gais) get sent data at half hour intervals from a meter attached to my house, but I myself have to wait until Bord Gais make my data available before I can access it. Not ideal.

However, I have to say that in my case, my smart plan is saving me a heap of money, but mainly because I have an electric car. The EV accounted for exactly 33% of my total usage between December 13 and August 16, and with the new plan it is basically costing me about 80 cents or so to charge sufficiently to drive 100km. Averaged out over the whole year and taking into account the absurd price increase of 30% to come on Oct 2, I'll pay about €140 to drive about 12,000km for an entire year. So essentially I have almost zero cost to drive the car as long as I charge it between 2-5am. The data file I get from Bord Gais also allows me to kind of roughly guess how much energy specific applicances use, so if I add the dishwasher, washing machine and dehumidifier (to dry clothes) together and run them from 2-5am or at least for a portion of that period, I get about 1.5kWh, or about 13-14% of daily use. So I now have the situation where up to 40% of my electricity is only costing me just under 6 cents per unit. Without the EV it might be a different story as I doubt the EV rate would offset the increased day rate, but at least with the data I get from the supplier, I can actually work this out. I think though going back to my first point, what is really missing here is the ability to do all of these calculations before you switch supplier. You need to know how much electricity you use, when and what specific devices account for the spikes in usage before you can really work out if a particular plan will save you money and right now you can't really do that unless you are willing to spend a few hundred Euro on some sort of device which involves installing clamps on the different circuits or on the main tail to the meter-but having a smart meter you shouldn't have to do this as it's effectively duplication. But overall I would say if you have an EV then definitely you will want to change to a smart plan with an EV rate. Apart from these plans, current smart plans are totally useless and probably will end up costing you more money than if you had the standard rate.

As an aside, the data analysis I've been doing has made me realise how absurd the whole idea of converting the national car fleet to EVs is. My car has a 58kWh battery and my average daily usage since I got the smart meter has been 10.9kWh, excluding EV charging. The car has a range of 425km, which is realistic enough for this time of year. So basically, I can power everything in my house for 5-6 days with the same energy it takes to move my car 425km. We really need to rethink this whole private car ownership thing if we are to have a sustainable grid in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

10% higher charges for those on smart meters between 5-7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

That’s 10% higher charges for those with smart meters on smart tariffs between 5-7 pm.

Just had a look at the Bord Gais smart meter 15% discount prices (incl VAT) & their peak rate is 18.29% dearer than the day rate & 51.72% dearer than the night rate. Their day rate is 28.30% dearer than the night rate.

Were your previous bills actual/customer or estimated readings? If they were based on low estimates this would have been corrected when the smart meter was installed & this might be why the bill is so high.

I submitted a reading for the billing period immediately preceding so it should have been up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stephenw105

If these smart meters can tell whats plugged in, is it possible if your car is charging they can add more tax to each unit? To cover the loss of taxes on petrol/diesel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

They can't tell what is using the power. All a smart meter can do is calculate the amount of energy consumed in a given 30min period.

You could have run a 9kW shower for 30mins, or charged a car for 30mins and the smart meter would be non the wiser.

Looking at the ESB website they say "Smart meters enable you to see which appliances use the most energy, and this allows us to help you choose the best rate"

I'm sure you are right but it wouldn't surprise me if the meters could tell by frequency or if a EV charger is active or some other way.

It's smoke and mirrors. The stick approach never works very well. If they want people to switch to smart plans reduce the rate outside peak hours and leave peak hours at standard rate. But they won't make money this way. Also there's no way I'm setting appliances to come on at 2am when I'm asleep. I know it's rare but these appliances can go on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carbuncle

I was shocked when I seen this rte article thinking the cru can now interfere with a private contract and force higher rates on consumers on a whim.

But it states it’s a recommendation and it’s full of holes, the article says a corresponding 10% cut in off peak rates will balance things out - is the reduction on all hours except the 5pm to 7pm or is it perhaps the cheaper hours post midnight, who knows

if they ever wanted an article to scare people into NOT moving to a smart plan then this is it - it reads on first glance the the gov can force unit price changes when they cannot (I would think)

of course there are few suppliers and they could adjust prices as one and blame the cru

It’s crazy that this was even mentioned now with such a low uptake of plans a change in usage by the people on these plans to avoid price rises will make little difference to energy consumed

i don’t have a smart meter or plan and will avoid as long as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It seems there is an article or radio/tv slot about smart meters every day now. I think the penny has dropped for CRU that they have made a mess of it. They are scrambling for solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's the unsaid atm

External car charging and storage heating is reasonably safe

The papers will probably kick up about nighttime appliance use when there's a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

Well was just on to our energy supplier (won't name it as not sure we can) to discuss our tariffs.

we're on the full tariff so constant rate throughout the day at 34.39/unit but when he gave me the 'smart' tariff

24.39c/unit 23:00-8:00

45.75c/unit 8:00-17:00

47.94c/unit 17:00-19:00

45.75/unit 19:00-23:00

I am not sure switching to that plan is that smart!!! while the day units are higher the night units are not lower enough to justify that switch.

Don't have an EV though but the big issue is that it's all very much a guess work as we don't have our actual hourly consumption breakdown which is a real pain... what's the benefit of having this so called 'smart' meter if we can't benefit from its data it is sending ESB and our provider ourselves???

Yet they promote it in a way where it would allow users to have more control of their energy consumption... Well how??? if we don't have the data.

One energy company seem to have an app for their customers to see they consumption in near real-time and that's it...

Our supplier said they do have an App but for those on the smart plan to help them manage their daily usage??? REALLY? and those like us on the flat tariff don't?

And why once we switch to the smart tariff we can't go back the other tariff??? I don't believe (but could be wrong) this is a hardware fix but rather a software setting so is that another way to control our options?

Have to say I'm not happy as a user. They get at least one update daily from our smart meter why not make this data available to us in a free simple app so we have more control of our energy usage. This would not only benefit us in this energy crisis, benefit them as more people will be aware of their consumption so we would not be as dependent on external energy suppliers to meet our demand nationwide and it would also go towards our CO2 commitments as a country... So why not make this data available to their owners? us...?

Post edited by Slaacer on

So the rate from 19:00 to 08:00 is 24.39c. That being the case why the need to split the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

sry I corrected - it should revert back to their day tariff of 45.75 from 19:00 to 23:00 then it switches to night tariff till 8:00 next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

Do smart meters often stop giving readings for 10 days? I mean the Electric Ireland website isn't showing any of my readings for the last 10 days.

I'm worrying that the meter has stopped communicating and I'll find out that Electric Ireland have stuck me on the day rate when I get a massive bill.

I suppose I could call them up, but it takes hours to get through to them and no-one on the help line ever seems to know what they're talking about.

What readings is the meter showing? You can always phone in your meter readings on receipt of your bill if it is showing estimated readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

The same happened to me for most of August, the problem was Electric Ireland's and not my smart meter, there's a signal indicator on the meter display which is similar to the indicator on your phone which should show if you have network connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ihavethepower

Hi All,

I have this issue also, I've found out that ESB Networks use Three data SIMs in the smart meters and I have very poor Three coverage at my house. I'm still on the Electric Ireland SST plan with the 30% off though and submit my own readings - ESB Networks are still obliged to come out and take the readings every so often too. If you have a smart meter and only a PH1 signal - the provider can still put you on a SST plan (OffPeak/Peak/NightOff peak) with periodic checks - but not an SST+ plan which checks every 30 minutes.

Hope this helps

Advertisement