Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hotel booked out in Dublin on a Saturday night shocker!!!

Any your claim

Cheapest hotel in Dublin for 1 night next month is €600

Is false, hardly that hard to fact check, maybe you would like to retract it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Seriously? Use a different app or website!

I'm seeing 17 hotels for a random Friday night in September, cheapest starting at €353 (yes, I'd call that dear, but it's a 4-star Hilton), 11 of them under €600. That's filtered to hotels only, less than 3km from the city centre.

I'm seeing two places for a random night in September for under €150 (filtered to less than 5km from city centre)!

We do know just how much it is likely to cost and it is affordable.

Everything is "affordable" when you can tap into debt..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

All these posts are just proving that Dublin hotels are outrageously expensive . In facts hotels around the country are uber expensive on weekends. Gougers.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

• Advertisement

Been that way for years. It's got nothing to do with homelessness, Ukrainians, or other refugees. A big match or concert, or bookings starting to fill up, they'll ratchet up the prices. Last summer, I was able to book 10 nights in a house on a campsite in the south of France and return flights and car hire for less than the cost of 10 nights' hotels in Galway and Clare.

Well you never specified what night you were unable to find anything for less than €600, did you? So I went for a random Friday night.

Plenty tourists come to the races in Leopardstown. There’s a great rail link into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

https://www.bruegel.org/dataset/national-policies-shield-consumers-rising-energy-prices

Check out the chart to see the percentage of GDP allocated to shield households from energy inflation. We’re second last. 0.2% of GDP but 3 billion set aside for the refugee crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re the Dublin hotels, yer man Garth Brooks is coming to town with his stetson in September. Up go the hotel prices immediately, as with any big gig like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Self-inflicted refugee crisis I might add. All we had to do was take an amount that was sustainable and practical, but noooo.. that wouldn't have played as well in the EU for Leo, Helen and Micheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yes, there are a few countries (probably most) that pay a small amount of money and then stop. We are taking in a much higher amount per capita and we are paying full amount for an unlimited time, as well as paying for everything else.

I'm calling bullsh*t on this having anything to do with helping the Ukrainians flee the terrible war in their country. I have thought it for a while, but with the amount of Ukrainians going back, everything opening up over there (some companies calling back employees that are working 'from home'/online), some faster than others, all while we seem to still be taking more in. If the war ended tomorrow, we would still be taking them in with all of the same benefits.

Ireland has always severely under-invested in infrastructure, and especially sustainability measures - and it's gonna severely bite us in the ass over the next year or two. Until the war in Ukraine is over and Russia can sell cheap energy to the west, again. Can't bring in a windfall tax, either, in case it puts off more energy companies from opening here... 🤔

If there are so many going back and if the war ended in the morning, the EU directive would end. As it is, it’s for 12 months with a maximum of 3 years.

Try educating yourself before posting such rubbish. If any Ukrainians remain in Ireland after the war ends, they will be subject to the same scrutiny as other emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119539504#Comment_119539504 There was an error displaying this embed.

Directive may end then submissions for Full status will be sought. it's not rocket science.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Well, I'm getting emails/job offers from TEFL organisations/schools in Ukraine looking for foreigners to go work there. Apparently, all the schools registered with them have bomb shelters, but no mention of any other risks involved. So, it seems like things are becoming somewhat normalised, if they're looking for staff, and keeping their kids in schools.

I'd be the same as yourself. When this all kicked off, I was very supportive of the refugees, and was quite pleased that Ireland would step up to help out. I had a lot of concerns over the lack of planning, and no indication of implementing any big building developments, but all the same, I thought even our politicians couldn't F this one up that badly. However... now? Err. I'm still supportive of the refugees themselves, as people.. but their refugee status should not entitle them to the range of benefits on offer especially over extended periods of time. I'm seeing too many reports of things normalising in Ukraine.. My original stance was that the country was under massive strain, and would buckle pretty quickly, but that's obviously not the case now.

Hmm.. I'd say we're being taken in by our politicians and their desires to increase the population of Ireland by any means possible.. and that includes incentives to refugees to set up roots here. There's a common objection (by posters on boards, and the NGOs) to deportation or denying the renewal of visas due to migrants having establishing roots here, and after staying in Ireland for 6mths to a year, that defence will exist for Ukrainians too. Wonder how many Ukrainians will ask for Asylum once their refugee status ends, or whether our government will extend another normalising visa exercise like they're doing for the roughly 30k illegal migrants living in the State.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119539504#Comment_119539504 There was an error displaying this embed.

There are so many going back, well over half have already gone back.

As for the EU directive ending, that does not have to stop Ireland continuing to take/cram them in for as long as possible, in the same way the directive doesn't state we have to take in the amount we are at the minute, and give them full benefits. They'll all be after citizenship too, the more we have, the more will try.

As for posting rubbish, you contradict yourself with every fake post about your bullsh*t empathy for the poor Ukrainians, if anyone has been spouting rubbish here for a record time, it your good self with your ongoing never ending rubbish.

When the schools are involved there are feck all kids, the school will barely notice them. When it's tents. there are thousands upon thousands of kids, they can't be there (by the way, that would be the governments fault).

No matter how rural a college student is in Ireland, they can cycle to a college, get a job, buy a cheap house and scrape a mortgage. When it is the Ukrainian Refugees, they can't do anything for themselves. Completely helpless it seems. Nor can they be expected to live any distance from anywhere even if they have free travel to get there.

Two homeless people are constantly rattled off and used as a measure for the homeless in general to cite reasons almost as to why they deserve nothing, it's almost the childrens own fault being born by homeless parents ("it's not our fault homeless johnny had a ride with homeless mary"). But when the Ukrainians are stereotyped in any way, including being known as a corrupt and fairly racist nation, that's a nope, you know them all too well from standing handing out food to them even though most can't speak a word of English, and you can vouch for them all.

Give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Why do you think the government wants to increase population?

Try educating yourself before posting such rubbish.

Actually, you're guessing. You have nothing to base such assumptions on. For both the EU directive or the Irish governments response to Ukrainians in Ireland after the conflict ends. The EU can quite easily suspend the emergency status, and revoke the refugee assignation... the same way that they quite easily implemented it in the first place. As for the Irish government, unprecedented rights/benefits were extended to them. It's not as if you can really point to any other refugee group to draw parallels in how the govt would behave.

So, perhaps get off your self-appointed pedestal of superiority, because you're assuming things just as much as the rest of us are. You're not in any better position than other posters here. You might want to believe you are.. but... nah. You're not.

Because a few politicians have made such statements over the years. Some of it is in relation to the National Development plan, but there's been other references before. Not really bothered to go looking for the articles now, but I doubt it would take you long to find the media reports yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,330 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’ll probably ask us for their air fare over…you couldn’t blame them for asking, our generosity thus far..free..

housing

cash

education

public transport

driving licences

healthcare

You wouldn’t wonder at them being a bit miffed if taxpayers weren’t throwing in an auld Aer Lingus flight…to resettle them in Ireland with the above goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,330 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

To drive down the cost of doing business for employers…..bigger labour market means lower wages, poorer conditions and overall less competitive labour market…

more profit for businesses… more demand for products and services but less money being spent on labour.

Over half have gone back? So... we don't have "over 50,000, it'll be 100,000 by Christmas, mark my words!" We only have roughly 25,000? Grand, so, what's all the panic been about. Plenty of room!

I think they meant from other countries closer easier to go back. Rates being cut in various places seem to have speed this up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It might be 100,000 by Xmas if other countries stop their allowances.

The current flow is 1000 a week approx, so maybe 66,000 for the year add in another 20,000 other asylum seekers thats 88,000 end of year.

That is prior to UK and other countries supports running out.

We know we arent going to magically build lots of houses within a year.....will the hotels still be occupied next year...30,000, 40,000, 50,0000 hotel rooms...crazy. What happens next Summer?

Well, I for one, wouldn't rule out a successful Russian offensive, and a crumbling of the Ukrainian defensive lines (even if occupation didn't extend that much further into the country), leading to Ukrainians returning to being refugees. What happens then? Ireland is one of the few countries with no limits, and the other European countries have already sought to reduce supports extended to Ukrainians. So.. if things did go tits up, the majority of new refugees would likely be encouraged to head here.

The war is not over. A bit early to be considering all those refugees to be permanently settled back in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It's actually part of FG's manifesto to increase the population of the country massively by 2030. Can't think of the exact number now but i remember reading about it at the time and thinking to myself that's not going to end well because of the size. This war is a great opportunity for them to get a massive amount of people into the nation towards that in a short space of time.

Over half of them have gone back to Ukraine, but as expected, not from Ireland (I'm pretty sure you knew that as you have been following this thread). Why would they travel this far, for the free money and no bills, only to turn around and go back before milking it for all it's worth?

The numbers went up in the middle of the month for at least a week (i.e. the numbers leaving Ukraine are slightly higher than those going back), due to summer. But they will all start going back again when the temperatures start to drop. Unlikely to see them leaving in their droves from here though.

It's also worth pointing out (even though you were attempting miserably at being a smart ass), that at 25,000 there would not be 'plenty of room'. We started to show signs of struggling around then, so you can imagine how bad it will be at 100,000.

I think the (original) plan was called 'Ireland 2040' and the plan was an extra million by 2040. That has changed and is a million by 2030 - and 5 million by 2050 or something similar. I'm pretty sure it has been mentioned here a few times.

• Advertisement

All while reducing carbon emissions for 2050. Clown world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement