Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

I know of an individual that has seen differentials of 3, 6, 7 replaced by 19, 22, 24.

that patience is out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

That really couldn't be further from the point of a handicap. It's there to level the playing field so that you can compete with others who are putting in different levels of effort and who have different levels of ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

if he’s gaming the system then he’s still only just completed the first lap out of 14.

And if he’s gaming the system he should know that keeping some of his game sharp enough to score in the mid teens will deliver the same outcome.

——

I’d differentials of 11.1 and 36.9, just 5 days apart, last month.

I lost interest after 10 holes of that second round, after washing 4 balls in 3 holes.

——

I don’t know the person in question. But I don’t think he’s gaming the system. My guess is that he’s a touch erratic, and loses some interest after a poor start or a poor middle. Like me.

Once upon a time that was just 0.1 back. Which in some ways was fairer. But if it happens 5-6 times out of 10, to be honest, this handicap is too low, regardless of their potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its to level it, up to a point.

There is no system, be it CONGU, WHS or even horses where the handicap it limitless. Why not?

I'm not saying that anyone should be excluded at all, I'm saying that they should be playing against similar people, not against literally everyone else.

Thinking about it more last night, I believe that 18 should be the max. 1 "help" per hole.

If you can't play to that (some calculation like break 30 points more than x out of your last Y rounds) then you move to the easier rated tees until you can.

Its similar to how we dont have men play against women off the same tees, even though arguably WHS should cater for it.

But we dont as we recognise that it would be crazy to give some women 80 shots and put them off the blues. Yet we do the exact same thing to 70 year old men and then wonder why they need 54 shots? There are plenty of women who hit the ball further than plenty of men, yet they have different tees, different handicap ranges and different competitions. That doesnt seem very unified to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

54 shots is pretty much a limitless handicap. I haven't heard of anyone get the max handicap.

And if everything worked as it should I'd love to see everyone given the choice of tees to play from and have everyone play in comps together. But in reality, people would find that they shot better from particular tees and that might dictate what tees they play from. So you might end up with a single digit guy playing from the front tees and a higher handicap playing from the back because that's where they think they'll get the best score.

• Advertisement

But is it "fair" that someone who is going through a bad stretch, say going from 5-9 over the course of 18 months, is still competitive?

That seems the exact opposite of fair to me to be honest :)

"Im playing badly, demonstrably worse than I normally play, but I should have just as much chance (in fact more of a chance) as the people who are playing as well as they normally do"

Is that really fair? It feels like the idea in education where we lower the standards so that more people achieve a passing grade...

Well in the same way that you move forward until you hit a certain standard, you would move back as you improve.

Note that I'm not in any way trying to address people purposely gaming the system, I dont think there is anything you can ever do to stop them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

To reverse this.

The group of people I’m reading as you would see as “eligible” for prizes.

They are people who have practiced and dedicated so fastidiously to golf, that they’ve reached a level they cannot surpass. Those who if they were to ease their practice at all, would see their game decline. Basically, people who have topped out at golf.

In any club this is going to be a small percentage of the membership. But I’m reading it as you’d like to build the concept of club membership around encouraging/enforcing this (semi zealot) behaviour?

My opinion is that this is death by 1000 cuts kind of stuff.

Perhapa a city the size of Dublin could support a club or two built upon an ethos like this. But there’s no rural club would survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

But the whole essence of handicapping is basically that. I see where you're coming from, but I'd guess there's a lot more people just rock up on Saturday and play their golf and they play how they play, than there are dedicated range bunnies determined to improve. The whole system is based around a, to be fair, vague, notion of equity.

Who's to say whether demonstrably worse than I normally play is a drop in form or their new base level for whatever reason ? I don't agree with the education analogy tbh, to me its apples and oranges. For most people golf is their escape from the pressures of life for a few hours, if we started intimating that there's a minimum level of effort required, we'd lose plenty of members fairly sharpish imo. Most fellas don't expect to win, but play hoping that they have that good day where they beat their handicap and shoot 40pts or whatever.

Ok, so Joe takes lessons and practices 3 days a week, good for him, he'll get to his new level and his handicap will eventually reflect that. Peter works 10 hours a day and hasn't the time or inclination to go to the range but is happy with his 15 handicap, he knows he could probably be lower if he managed to hit a few buckets of balls a week. It doesn't make him less eligible for being competitive imo. If he does improve, his handicap will follow in due course. Surely we have to try accommodate both types of player ? Like, I get that the scratch or plus guys rarely win net prizes, and there probably isn't a system anywhere that can make that so, but we can't base our standards off that fact that some 22 year old is able to shoot 3 under because he plays 5 days a week and nobody should be able to beat that with less effort but through their handicap. The very existence of gross prizes IMO partly acknowledges that its easier for a high handicapper to beat his handicap by more than a low guy. How that can ever change, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

That's what senior scratch cups and the amateur competitions around the country are for, and gross prizes. I never actually hear very low handicap people complain about not winning competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I played with a 54 handicapper once last year and he needed the shots. Bear in mind he was in his mid 80's and was still out playing which is a credit to him. But it did make for an awfully long round! Forward tees would have been a big difference to him. At least 1 shot per hole.

I think you are misunderstanding me, I'm not talking about certain people being excluded from anything, rather than everyone would play against their peers from the same tee.

Max handicap would be 18, i.e. a limit of one shot a hole. If you need more than this then you need to play off the easier tees as golf is too hard for you otherwise.

I'd much rather play from ability appropriate tees and have a "real" handicap than slog it out from the back sticks with a handicap of 33, taking 3 shots to get to the fairway half the time.

I have no problem with people rocking up and playing casual golf, not everyone can or even wants to practice. But rather than give them additional shots up to 54, get them to play off easier tees?

We do it for ladies, we do it for kids, why not do it for everyone?

Again, I'm not saying that anyone shouldnt be allowed to play or win, but everyone should be playing against their peers, not everyone play everyone and handicaps from +4 to -54 attempt to balance it all out.

Also, there is only 1 gross prize and even that can often be an after-thought in many places!

So the better players are forced to travel the country to enter scratch cups rather than play in their home courses? How is that fair? Most people, be they low or high dont have the free time to travel to play golf.

I hear it all the time, maybe it depends on the handicap of the people you play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well they clearly have the time to travel around the place if they have so much time to practice anyway

Nothing is stopping them from playing in their home courses. I think you're inventing an issue that the vast majority of low handicap golfers don't care about. You're saying everyone should play against their peers but then the scratch golfers would be left with very few to play against - and I'm assuming prizes would be split by number of entrants per category so there wouldn't be much to divide out between the top players if there's only a handful of them.

My handicap is 6, the people I play with regularly are off between 1 and about 8. Probably the most affected handicaps in terms of winning prizes because above about 3 or 4, you're never going to win gross either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Would that really work though ? Some might see it as pretty stigmatising, rightly or wrongly.

Even at that, how many groups would you have ? for example "Ladies" is a pretty big group to have one tee for, if we were to differentiate on ability. There's also a bit of an assumption that its length that's the defining criteria in ability (I don't doubt its hugely important), but what about the 20 handicapper who hits it miles but can't chip or putt ? We'd be in danger of going into way too much detail as to why someone is off XX handicap. I mean I reckon most 20 handicappers could be saved 5 shots a round with a good caddy advising them, off any tees.

I think there's something fundamentally good about a hole (or course) where one guy has to play it a certain way because he has no shot, another might play it differently because he has one shot, yet another might do different again as he has 2 shots, and they all compare how they shot at the end of the round.

Meh, I dunno, personally I don't think the system is perfect, I don't think its necessarily broken either. I would have a max of 36 shots though, and no casual golf counting, but that's probably just me. There are always going to be outliers that no system will catch and they're the ones that catch the eye at times. Honestly I play my golf and I score what I score and never really worry or care if someone else shoots 45pts on the day. I tend to think CONGU worked fine, WHS works fine but its a completely and utterly different animal to CONGU and our thinking needs to change as they're so different.

Its very easy for me to find 30 mins to practice everyday, it would be next to impossible for me to play scratch cups around the country.

But this is exactly what class prizes do today?

The argument put forward was essentially "if good golfers want a fair chance of winning then they should go play scratch cups"

To me thats totally wrong.

Peer doesnt mean someone of the exact same handicap, Scratch guys would likely be in the with plus and low single guys. I'd see a 10 shot range as probably being good enough, but am open to alternatives.

At the moment there is only 1 gross prize at best, so I dont see lack of prizes as a valid argument tbh.

So your playing partners never make comments about WHS or the scores/handicaps that are winning prizes? I would say you are in a tiny minority so as that is certainly not the case at my club or other clubs I play at.

Class prizes only work in clubs with a huge membership. You seem to be making an argument that the best golfer should win, so why should a 6 handicap get to beat a scratch handicap on nett and not an 18 handicap?

Honesty, we don't. We might talk about our handicap changing or scores dropping out. Very rarely is there a ridiculous score in my club so if there was it might be commented on but we don't really give a ****.

There is an annoying cohort of golfers always complaining about stuff though!

• Advertisement

Is it any more stigmatising that being given 36 shots?

My argument is that there wouldnt be a ladies group, all groups would be based on ability and everyone would have a max handicap of 18.

The 20 handicap who hits it miles would either beat the criteria and move back or wouldnt, same as everyone else? I agree about course management etc, but thats not something we can control or cater for, some would argue its just as much a skill as any other part of golf. However I know that if I ignored course management my handicap would go up and my opportunity to score in the 40's would drastically improve on the days it works out for me.

Most of the higher handicap golfers I see all approach each hole the same as if they were a scratch golfer. They go for every par 3, even if they are hitting a driver. They never lay up anywhere and every tree is made up of gaps :)

The other side of it is today we have people who have loads of shots because they simply cant hit it far enough. I would much rather solve that problem than try to address the other impossibles!

I preferred CONGUs idea of handicap being potential, I think its more equitable in the long run. WHS seems like it was designed purely for casual golfers or beginners, where they want to give everyone a prize. I dont think that suits the golf we mostly play over there parts.

To add, it doesnt really bother me, I certainly dont spend any time thinking about it, my goal is a lower handicap, if prizes come along the way then thats great, but I'm well used to not winning as my handicap has lowered over the years. (Im now in the wilderness of too high for gross and too low for nett!)

You dont need a huge membership at all. At the moment classes change based on the makeup of each competition, its not fixed to certain handicaps.

A 6 handicap is going to have a similar enough deviation as a scratch whereas an 18 would be vastly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not a member there - but friends are.

President’s Prize results from Charleville. In the overall prizes, one of the top five was a sub 20 handicapper.. just about

Thur/Fri/Sat/Sun 25th 26th 27th 28thAugust

(Mr. Gerard Gould)

1st Tom Noonan (21)                                  49pts

2nd Tommy Allen (19)                                 47pts

3rd Patrick Carey (20)                                 45pts

4th   Robert Twomey (29)                            43pts

Gross Denis O’Donovan (2)                      38pts

5th Jerry Murray (23)                                  42pts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Presidents prize shouldnt be stableford :D

You should probably erase the names though. There's probably something legal that boards.ie wouldnt like about real peoples names being up there without their permission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

You could be right about the names but you're definitely right that the prize should be strokes 🤣.

Only kidding. Ours is over 36 holes strokes. Usually evens things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not sure why I’d have to hide the names. You can go to Charleville Golf Club’s website and see them - I just copied and pasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Charleville is their home club. They've possibly agreed to having their names posted as part of Charleville's social media as part of their membership (whether they know it or not). Someone other than the club posting it on boards.ie could be another matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Agree names shouldn't be posted.

But kinda thing people are seeing in club golf.

WHS is a great system for honest golfers- but club golf and competition golf is more serious in Ireland. The rate of change and amount you can change by is ridiculous...this would be simply modified...but hard to do if in a WHS....

It definitely has damaged the Irish club golf scene.

I wouldn't be as extreme as could never shoot high points anyway - but can see people become seriously disillusioned with the club scene. I personally would be less inclined to enter comps if this is rhe new norm...

People might say who cares about a few cranks , the greater good or whatever- but these are the actual people who keep clubs going in Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Those are incredible scores from Charleville ok. Top 2 shot single figures (+8). I presume the course was also set up a bit more difficult for the big comp - back tees, tricky pins?

Not seeing this in my club. A few in low 40s typically win, some in high 30s.

Maybe some courses lend themselves to high handicap golfers bringing in low scores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

Another Presidents Prize 18 hole stableford not my club but results on the website.

President’s Prize.

1st   (27)        48pts B9

2nd  (29)        48pts

3rd   (20)       47pts B6

4th   (14)       47pts

5th   (57)        45pts

6th   (21)       43pts B9

Advertisement