Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Cancelled the move the SSE and the same day EI called as the normal customer retention folks do. I was offered a 26% discount rate on their standard 24 hour tariff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Currently with Bord Gais but looking to switch over to EI. Going through bonkers.ie - is it reliable info?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Got my Eg contract letter today. 28% discount for 12 months so I pay including vat 0.2613 unit rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Whoah! The devil lies in the detail as they say. So, while Airtricity have been describing it as a 45% increase in unit rate, in reality it varies depending on the tariff, with the 'smart' peak rate (when of course many working families have little choice but to cook etc) jumping a humongous 72% to an eye watering 63.6c per unit. Even with what seems to be their largest 33% discount, that's still a whopping 42c per unit. Flaming Nora...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭CptMonkey

Smart meters seem to a complete scam. Would it be best to refuse one when they offer it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

I have a smart meter but told them didn't want their smart plan offers as once you switch to smart plan can't go back to regular plan.

Unsure which provider to goto now as bonkers tell me switch to flo gas even though with them already but its low usage house.

Are you on a 24 hr plan or can you choose a day/night plan on your smart meter. My concern is that they will eventually find a way to force users with smart meters to use smart plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It was already reported several months ago that Eamon Ryan was investigating ways to make time of day pricing mandatory for those with smart meters - i.e. force them to use 'smart' plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

You are quite correct. They have also tended to use the percentage increase based on the national average usage which is higher than adding say 10% to the unit price. If you are a below average user your percentage increase will be larger than what they advertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Flogas are still offering e220 cashback (high unit rates) for existing customers, which makes a difference if low user

Has anybody claimed welcome credit or cashback and moved within the year? Has the supplier tried to recover these in top of the €50 breakage fee?

Yes they will direct debit it from your account as part of your final bill

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

They also seem to have the lowest standing charge. Looks like they might be the best for a low user.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Has anyone used switcher.ie lately? I'm with electric ireland on the value reward plan, I called the loyalty team and they offered me an 18% discount plan but on switcher.ie there is a 26% discount plan.

The EI website has a 30% electricity discount plan for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

I'm not a new customer though, I'm with electric Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I feel like the whole situation is stacked against the consumer at the moment. Every supplier will be raising prices, various plans are a scam and a con, linked to the scam and con smart meters that don't seem to actually save you anything, but might just about negate some of the rip off raises that are occurring.... until they hike up again.

As a low level user, I can see no way it is going, other than I will be paying far more for using less energy. Why do we not have a low usage incentive? ... use less than average and be positively rewarded for it? It is all smoke and mirrors at the moment, and the best you can hope for is to work through the various plans confusion and hope you can save a few quid, for a few months and then go through it all over again.

Where is the benefit to the consumer in this brave new world of encouraged competition (don't make me laugh) and smart meters that 'put you in control' ?... (yeah right!).

We are being fleeced ladies and gentlemen by a market that is set up to benefit the suppliers, more than the consumer. The CRU is a dismal failure and there is no one batting for the consumer in the dysfunctional market that they allegedly preside over. The only option the consumer has, is to put considerable effort into trying to achieve price rise avoidance .... its not the same as the cheaper electricity options that the smart meters were supposed to deliver. The energy supply crisis is now being pitched as a problem caused by consumers wanting to use electricity at convenient times, rather than a total lack of supply planning by people paid big bucks to ensure that we do not run out of capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The 26% is for existing customers, seems to be the best rate with them if you are in that boat.

• Advertisement

All of them do it, it's in their t&c's that cashback is repaid if you exit before contract ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I'm with Electric Ireland on the dual 26% expiring tomorrow.

Any suggestions who to go with for flat 24hr rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Airtricity offered us a 15% discount despite being a customer for many years.

This thing where everyone can switch every year to become a new customer elsewhere for a discount is daft. Huge waste of admin costs too.

It's another example of a system creating useless work and jobs.

Why not just offer cheaper electricity across the board ?

Anyway, moving elsewhere for a better discount. It's a circus.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

The best for me on 24hr rate was bord gas. Ina rural area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Darwin

Same here, just switched to Bord Gais from Electric Ireland, BG were offering a 39% discount for new customers so my 24 hour rate for now is 20.17c per kWh (inc VAT). I usually use bonkers to switch, but they were missing the better offers this time round. EI texted me twice in the last month to say they were going to call me, but never did. Wonder how long it will be before BG hike prices by the 39%.

I was with ei too. I emailed them and got that text but heard sfa so I changed. Unless they beat my new deal they can do one

Have you actual experience of this happening or are you just surmising that they all do it? I Can see it in EI's t&c's but I don't see it on Airtricity's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is it likely BG will increase anytime soon if they increased in Apr?

Yes, very likely. Flogas increased prices in May and August

• Advertisement

Nothing is impossible I suppose. Could happen tomorrow or just after my 14day cooling off period

Advertisement