Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Quitting - the new “great resignation”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

A lot of the comments on this thread are a testament to the scars that people bear from working in bad environments. A poorly managed/run company or one that's on the slide can be a depressing place.

Conversely, good - even great - companies are wonderful. Thing is, it doesn't take much for a great company to become a bad one. I think you'll see it with some of the IT unicorns - spotify, shopify, uber, etc - in the next few months/years as things become a lot tougher. All it takes is for cash to become tighter; no promotions, no bonuses, work harder to survive, etc.

Ultimately the only one who has your interests at heart is yourself. If an environment is toxic or just not working for you, GET OUT. You won't change it and if it's bad, it's only to get worse.

I don't claim overtime for half an hour here and there because it's in my interest to be able to be late or leave early on days that I need to. I balance my hours so it's not like I am missing out on an overtime payment.

If the sh1t hits the fan and I have to really work late or into the weekend, you better be damn well sure that I am claiming overtime. The moment late evening and weekend work becomes expected or the "norm" then I will stop being available for it.

Overtime is meant to be for extreme circumstances yet employers (and sycophant employees) seem to have come to the belief that it is an extra bank of time they can tap into, often without payment.

As for going above and beyond? I'm contracted to work well for my period in the office. The organisation tendered for this, I applied, and they accepted my application, based on this.

If they wish to ammend the work pattern then they can draw up a new proposal and I will review it.

They are not doing me a favour by employing me. I am giving them skilled labour as a product and they are paying me for that.

If a company can not get its work complete because they expect something "extra" from their employees then they are a badly resourced company.

Either they are understaffed (intentionally), have bad managers, have inefficient proccesses, or all.

If you create a team of 10 and decide that the team needs to output the workload of 12, that's on you. Not them for refusing to do the work of the required extra people.

It's attidudes, like your own, why companies can actually get away with this and try to claim that it's the fault of employees

I work very hard during my contracted hours, and I'm very attentive to detail and high standards. I am conscientious, take pride in my work. I don't take liberties with breaks. I don't pull sickies. My working day ends at 5.30. I finish at 5.30. Being OK with working beyond your contracted hours for no further pay is real Stepford stuff. You have a personal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

Your advice is totally outdated;

The matra of going above and beyond in most work places is a scam sold to young people who learn quickly that they won't be rewarded for extra effort. Too often ive seen it.

I worked in finance for over 10 years and saw grads literally giving away thousands of hours for free. One particular disgraceful situation was 4 newly employed collegues working like dogs for a year and half for one promotion position. They did not know this. All of them were great and when came time to promote, the one person got it and the rest left shortly after. Then the promoted worker keft around 6 months later for even better pay. The 3 that left before him were on better pay anyway afterwards. Having talkied to some afterwards, they told me they liked the work but felt unfairly compensated.

These days you are far better just looking for a new job every year or two to maximise your value. Dogging it out at a company these days makes very little sense in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

One of the worst scams I have seen is when someone get promoted to a management role and then they are told the Overtime is built into their pay. I remember I was told this, I refused the promotion, Senior Manager couldn't believe it, they thought by just having the title of Manager I should have been happy with that. So they offered the job to someone else and worked them to the bone so much so they went out sick and then left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If you asked a builder to build your house off the plans but then got the hump with him because he wouldn't put a swimming pool or extra room for free

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

“You're missing the point, so here's an example.“

”It's attidudes, like your own, why companies can actually get away with this and try to claim that it's the fault of employees”

“Your advice is totally outdated;“

You’d swear lads I hadn’t 30 years of experience in a number of roles in a few different industries behind me that it couldn’t just be we have a difference of opinion based upon our different experiences?

I haven’t advised anyone of anything, I’ve said the idea which is being promoted here is promoting laziness and being unmotivated as virtues. I also said that anyone feeling undervalued should have a chat with their boss, and if they’re still getting nowhere, to move on. If they’re hoping to avoid burnout, then behaviour like that towards their employment isn’t going to help their mental state. It’s not about their employers or anything else, it’s about anyones own job satisfaction, or work/life balance, or career development, whatever their goals are.

This “quiet quitting” is just self-sabotage, because it’s just a reality that most employers simply won’t give a fcuk, they’ll do exactly like their employees, and make like they do care on social media, to appear attractive to people who are looking for that life/work balance or career development.

That’s just basic stuff, it’s been the way of the employee/employer relationship ever since the beginnings of the industrial revolution. It’s not outdated when it’s still very much practiced by the vast majority of employers and employees. A moment on TikTok isn’t going to put a dint in that, especially not from people who are promoting the idea of doing the bare minimum… not like they’re likely to go out of their way for what they claim to believe in!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Starfire20

how is doing what you're being paid to do = laziness?

many employers expect you to regularly go above and beyond in what you're being paid to do but i bet those same employers would balk at being asked to regularly go above and beyond in what they pay you

how is doing what you're being paid to do = laziness?

When it’s not even doing what you’re being paid to do.

many employers expect you to regularly go above and beyond in what you're being paid to do but i bet those same employers would balk at being asked to regularly go above and beyond in what they pay you

Of course they do, because they’re operating a business, not a charity. Although saying that the way some charities are run nowadays… 🤔 The point being that I’d encourage anyone to negotiate, as opposed to this idea of staging a silent protest by way of disengagement from their employment. If their employer is any way switched on, they’re gonna notice there’s an issue.

• Advertisement

employers feeling like they're entitled to free work but then clutching their pearls when employees expect to be compensated for the extra work is peak boomer.

It really is 😂

Also peak boomer is employers knowing they can hire ten employees who will do the same work for the same cost as one candidate who overestimates their worth to anyone who isn’t them.

a race to the bottom and then you'll get the "nobody wants to work" nonsense.

no boomer, nobody wants to work for crap wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The point you seen to keep missing is the fact that people are doing what their paid to do. It's called common sense and valuing your time. Your the one who is expecting people to work for free with no clear reward. If my boss wants me to work overtime it's up to him to ask and give me a good reason otherwise he should expect me to finish work at the agreed time.

Of course nobody wants to work for crap wages, and if they don’t, they are spoiled for choice. Employers too are spoiled for choice when they can get people who are willing to work for what the employers are willing to offer… and Millennials have their principles. There’s negotiating room between those two extremes is what I’m saying.

I can absolutely guarantee you I haven’t missed anything. People doing what they are paid to do, isn’t who we’re talking about here. It’s people who are deciding that they are going to do LESS than they are being paid to do, the bare minimum to stay with their employers. That’s why it’s such a ridiculous concept, to expect that employers should actually support employees who aren’t committed to the organisation?

I don’t ever expect anyone to work for free with no clear reward, that’s just misrepresenting what I’ve said since the beginning of this thread. I place great value in people who are committed, I don’t see why I would or should place any value in people who make it clear from the outset that they’re not committed to the organisation. There’s no hard feelings there, they’re just not someone I would wish to employ, good luck to them finding an employer who ticks all their boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You fail to understand what the bare minimum actually means. The bare minimum is exactly what's required in return for the agreed payment. An employee doing the bare minimum may not be promotion material but they are not a bad employee. Reaching your targets is not showing a lack of commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't read the whole thread, just the first and this page. Easy to see the old school mentality of employment vs the modern one. Boardsies yet again jumping to the extreme on either end when most people are in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This is just another buzz term that content creators can write articles about. Similar to the "great resignation".

People doing the bare minimum is not quiet quitting, it's called doing your job. But if you actually want to progress, get promotions, get bonuses, not be first on the chopping block when redundancies happen, then you're better off doing your best, learning new skills.

It never remains an employees market for too long. Employees get cocky in these times of many jobs. There wasn't many cocky employees doing "quiet quitting" back in 2008.

I saved a company literally millions in spend, annually. Often worked late into the night.

Was made redundant while recovering from spinal injury.

Company was all about employees being loyal to the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It doesn't matter how hard you have worked or what you have done for the company or how hard you have worked, if your department or your section of the department is in scope for redundancies then you are going to be made redundant. Now depending on the redundancy whether its voluntary or compulsory then you may get a chance to move to another department or section not in scope, if you want too. Remember company comes first before all else, it doesn't matter how good or bad an employee is when the company wants rid of you then they will so no loyalty. I have been made redundant a couple of times, all voluntary, and I have found that each time the people that didn't take up the redundancies were the so called "slackers". The last one I took redundancy one of the people that stayed on was on a performance improvement plan. Once the redundancy package is waved in front of peoples faces those that see it as opportunity to get out of the company with a nice little package will jump at the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

One of the benefits of recessions is that companies get a chance to clear out the non productive staff members.

If you think performance doesn't matter when it comes to redundancies then it's a very simplistic view. Companies getting rid of productive, quality staff would be like Ferrari getting rid of the fuel tanks in their F1 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I went into my manager once and demanded a payrise of 5000 Irish punts. It was a big jump on my salary at the time - cant rem, maybe 25% - but I had leverage and the company was minting it.

Anyway he offered 2000, then 3000 but I refused. He then offered me 4000 and a snazzy new title - Senior Something-Or-Other. I told him to keep his title, start calling me Janitor and give me the 5000 punts. I got it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

"Productive, quality staff"

Those who work for free and for no thanks or those who do a fair days work during contracted hours?

The best redundancies often happen when a company is doing well and the economy is booming. Some companies will pay huge packages on exit to keep their reputation intact. I know a lot of people leaving successful companies on 6 figure payouts. Nice. Remember that redundant employees go to other customers/competitors and can bad mouth the original employer if not treated well on exit.

Why do companies do redundancies when times are good? Sometimes it's a business decision - product/service sell off or shutdown, division closure or sell off - Even companies that are flying it can have sections that are loss making or beyond their money making lifecycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Many places are first in, first out. So its not necessarily the most productive that are kept during recession.

In my workplace everyone is expected to work on average 10 to 20 hours overtime every week, you will get time and a half for the first 4 hours, then double time after that duringthe week. Also double time all weekend. But this mentality has the place really unproductive as most see it as a way to top up their wages. I find it very frustrating and I'll move on in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That's crazy, wtf are the management doing? How are they not nipping that in the bud?

Never underestimate the ability of employees to game the system. Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

Think this is unsurprising in some ways, working remotely all the time can be very isolating and demotivating, so I can see how a certain level of apathy could kick in, especially for a young person who maybe had little working experience before working from home became the norm.

Putting in extra effort at works usually stems from either competitiveness or camaraderie, both of which are lessened significantly when working from home IMO.

• Advertisement

Want to see my productivity drop? But me back in the office with people annoying me all the time with "My keyboard does not work" nonsense.

Raise a ticket with Service Desk and stop annoying infrastructure

Advertisement