Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I was tempted but the 5900X is tempting me also as I do more with my machine than just gaming.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I mainly use my PC to game at 1440p with an RX6800 and was thinking about upgrading from a 3700X to a 5800X3D but I don't think the performance up lift will be worth it for now. Maybe when the next generation of GPU's appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

5900x is around 430 from amazon.de at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If I was going 5900x I would just pay the 515 for the 5950x for the extra 4 cores as if can justify using 12 I'd say can justify using 16 cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Have the 5900x myself :-) I have not seen the 5950x at €515 anywhere. The 5800X3D is looking pretty amazing for gaming. Don't think many would notice the difference between any of them in real world gaming but at €515 I'd probably go with the 5950x. Any link to where it can be got for that price ?

• Advertisement

Here it is for 499 as of this morning. The price fluctuates throughout the day between 499 and 539 so if its 539 check back later and it will be less.

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-16x-3-40GHz-So-AM4-WOF_1380729.html

Just as I recommended this cpu here, I want to add I would avoid mindfactory. I've been dealing with them for about 2 weeks about them first sending out an empty box that dhl refused to deliver as it was empty then the second attempt they created a label for UPS but then tried say it was handed to DHL again and I still haven't got the cpu and they are refusing a refund until they get their empty box back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Can you speak German? I think it's you who said in the past they live in Germany. If you are corresponding to them in English it may be a barrier and get someone you know who speaks German to contact them and pretend to be you.

I just ended up cancelling the order and went with paypal to attempt to get a refund. I've since ordered a second 5950x since they were in stock at amazon.de

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What is the general impression on Zen4? Semiaccurate, who I would generally rate as having a much better in depth knowledge of the truth of the industry than anyone else, does not think much of it at all.

"Based on the numbers AMD put out, the Zen4 cores underperform expectations by a lot, lets hope there is upside when the real numbers are revealed later this year. One thing we don’t expect any up side on is Mendocino, a self-inflicted opportunity cost wound that we can’t justify on any front. What seemed like a good keynote didn’t hold up when you look at what was actually said rather than parroting back the talking points."

"Now back to our point about digging into the numbers. If you look at the breathless claims about the new Zen4 devices, Lisa Su even showed one running with a peak core clock, peak single core clock mind you, of 5.5GHz. Couple this with the claimed, “>15% Single-Thread Uplift” from the slide above and you have a monster, right? That is what they want the headlines to read, but lets take a look at the real numbers.

Starting out we will round figures here and there for ease starting with that 5.5GHz claim, lets call it a potential 10% clock increase. It is for one core but we are looking at single threaded performance so that caveat is mostly irrelevant. That >15% figure was also directly stated as from a combination of IPC and clock. If you take out at 10% clock uplift that >15% becomes a roughly >5% uplift, so lets say high single digit performance increases for the Zen4 core. This is way below the expected ~20% IPC increase number, not counting clocks.

From there you get an efficiency increase when moving from Zen3’s 7nm process to the 5nm of Zen4. This means for the same TDP the new cores should run significantly faster, nothing new here, standard shrink benefits."

https://semiaccurate.com/2022/05/23/amd-underwhelms-at-computex/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No idea until it releases.

Though TBH I'm just waiting for 5800X3D to drop in price.

I am not convinced by the 3d tbh. I think its benefit in games isn't consistent enough, and I doubt game engineers are ready to properly exploit the technology for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think this year's offering is more about the new chipset and DDR5/PCIe 5 support. The gains on the CPU itself are minimal at best.

The X3D is a great gaming CPU. Beats out Intel in most games. I am also going to get a X3D when it drops in price. I still think DDR5 will be too expensive when these new Ryzen chips are released this year. Obviously there will be cheaper DDR5 modules but like DDR4 you really want the fastest and lowest timing set to get the most out of the CPU and those RAM chips will not be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IGPs and APUs already happen, it feels like they're just normalizing basic Output functionality to all CPUs to alleviate buyer confusion, "do I NEED a graphics card to check my stocks" etc.; I think this will improve their marketability, but they can always manage to confuse consumers. Developers don't need to fuss with this: they write code for DirectX, and DirectX deals with how it communicates with the Kernel, etc.; The DirectX and Vulkan people/orgs are who deal with how the hardware is exploited into games performance (outside of GPU/dev partnerships like Nvidia is often fond of doing, as it keeps a lot of its graphics tech proprietary)

All I can say about AM5 is it looks alright and people looking to build should probably base their motherboard and CPU on that if they're looking at Team Red. I think their CPUs are competitive but I might be biased on a 5600X. My current situation is my fiancee is daily driving my old PC in full now, the FX8150 Bulldozer and the R9 390. The 8150 still works as a daily driver even if it was a critically panned release, and that wasn't much different than the 1055t that I ran before that. In effect I feel like their CPUs, even when they haven't always been faster than what Intel has typically replied with, they have always been great value because they are engineered in a forward thinking manner. I recall when I was putting 6 cores into my PC when the average was 2, people thought I was moonbrained, but in effect that same architecture has proven to have aged like wine, at least in my use case. I always banked on multicore and redundancy over pure boost speed, and as each application newly announces multithreaded support, the old clunker gets faster at things still. I believe the 8150 and the 390 could possibly get me to the backend of the AM5 generation at least without needing to upgrade her into a new one, like I got in on building the endstage of AM4 with RDNA2 (5600X and 6xxx GPU). Being slower than forecast shouldn't scare you in the long run, that money you'll likely save buying the processor will be worth it. The competing Intel CPUs when Bulldozer was out were still relatively more expensive, and didn't have the same lifespan IMO, fewer cores already hyperthreaded to bejesus. My i5 3xxxx series laptop is basically an expensive and pretty brick, but yeah even that too still kinda runs Solidworks on a good day.

The 8150 was panned because it wasn't a good upgrade over the Phenom II X6 and used more power than the 2500K despite getting beaten in almost every benchmark. The 2500K/2700K meanwhile had phenomal longevity since you could overclock the snot out of them & keep them going well into 2018 or longer.

Plus they weren't even proper "8 cores". Seriously, they lost a class-action lawsuit. So that doesn't really hold water.

As for the R9 390 - good GPU, just power-hungry.

I'd have been owed a refund if I new about is CAL

Not overclocking that ultrabook anytime soon though. It has no headroom for such things.

Aye, the mobile SKUs sucked.

My first gaming laptop was an Alienware 13 with i7-5500U which, contrary to its numbering, was an underpowered 2c/4t that got me into building PCs in the first place!

My first was one of the first or 2nd series Core 2 Duos. People on here called me an eccentric for going on about dual cores being important.

I'm pretty sure I have a first gen Core 2 Duo on my laptop that rarely gets turned on. It's running Linux due to Windows running so slow on it. But it still works but I have a PC so no point turning on laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The FX processors were bad even in their day and aged badly.The FX-6300 was decent at I think $99 or thereabouts, at least at the time. It was around the same price as an i3 4th gen, maybe even cheaper.

Nowadays despite the hex and octo-core, they perform horribly, the fx-8350 is compable to a 1st gen i7 from 2008. Was a guy on Reddit recently with an FX-8320 and a GTX3080. Claimed there was no bottleneck. 🙄

It definitely has occured to me I have never seen much of a CPU uplift from ... well, my Phenom II X6 1055t. At least until the 5600X.

Anyone else watch the Ryzen 7000 event. I just finished watching it just now. 6 core part $300 what ever that will be in euro I'm not sure but I do know in US tax has to be added on where as out tax will be included in our price.

I was expecting the 7600 to be back to €200 but apparently not. 105w tdp means a 50% bump in power for 13% improvement in performance which is not what I'd call progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That 13% is IPC, not performance. They've upped the clocks a lot too.

You can always run the CPU at 65W, and (apparently) it will perform around 40% better (might be a bit off, that's from memory).

Still disappointed it's not $200/250 though.

They're actually touting 74% overall performance improvement at 65W TDP, comparing 5950X to 7950X! 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Been holding out for the next gen/socket of Ryzen.

Bit disappointing that the 7600x is so expensive, plus will require slightly more expensive DDR5 ram.

Im kind of tempted to build something on Black Friday with Zen 3 and DDR4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Will AM4 compatible coolers also work with the AM5 socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

From what I remember there were AM4 brackets/adapters provided for some AM3 coolers by request when Ryzen first launched.

Should be the same this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The mounting is the same, so the vast majority that fit AM4, should fit AM5. But not 100% of them, there's a few exceptions e.g.:

Advertisement