Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor Offences & Penalty Points

• 30-08-2022 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. I am on 9 penalty points and recently got caught in a work van doing a delivery on the phone! Totally my fault obviously my boss rang me and I stupidly answered 2 second call too 🙄. I dont usually go out with deliveries but this was an emergency on a Friday & customer wanted it by the weekend. So have fine and have yet to pay it as when I do I am going to get banned for 6 months. I commute to work and pass a speed van daily in different places (not in accident black spots obviously) so odds are stack against me (law of averages) I have been on 9 points for nearly 2 years I have a car kit in my car and have been constantly using cruise control for speed limits on roads. 6 of my points I got in a 1 month period. some were just Gardas being dicks (sorry) I should of fought these but was never in court nor did I want too. Sure if you lose its double the points and bigger offence. Its actually scare tactics so you wont go to court to fight them.

I can get the train to work, all be it at an extra cost of €250 a month. As I have a diesel card out of work. My problem is I look after my mam who lives in Dublin I check on her in mornings, lunch, after work do her shopping and collect her pension. She has carers but this is only 4 hours a week. I have know one else to check and do these things shes 78 and has some medical conditions. A few people told me to fight it and get a good solicitor he will explain my circumstances with my mother plus get a letter from my boss that I will lose my job if I am banned etc and to mention I just had a new baby (which I have by the way) I just dont see how this will work. Has anyone ever done something similar? I was told to definitely seek legal advice but I dont know where to go can anyone recommend a good solicitor for traffic offences?

All help from fellow boardies be must appreciated

B

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

I too am disappointed sometimes that doing the crime means you have to do the time

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Most of that post is irrelevant.

Seek the advice of a solicitor before you consider paying the fixed charge notice.

A tactic sometimes used to avoid a ban is to allow the matter go to court, and seek an adjournment with a view to allowing some of your existing points expire before those arising from this offence are added to your record. Some judges are more accepting of this practise than others.

I commute to work and pass a speed van daily in different places so odds are stacked against me.

I don't understand this logic. Are you telling us that you consistently break the speed limit? If so, then can you think of any conceivable strategy that might prevent you being caught? Take your time and feel free to phone a friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Why would you speed or drive on your phone with any number of penalty points with all the consequences you just listed? Deal with the consequences of your actions and next time don't break the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

No i have to be very careful as speed changes on the roads I drive I dont normally speed. I am not a fast driver trust me Im driving over 20 years. For instance where I live the road to Dublin which is a primary road was 100 kph. They opened a new ring road to the m9 made it 100 kph and dropped the old road which is a great road to 80 kph and the van was on it for weeks to catch people. The letter of the law states primary roads are 100 kph I brought this up with Kildare county council and was told the local county council can change the speed limits on roads as they deem fit. The old road is a great road and has been 100 kph for years. The ring road is about 5 km longer to Dublin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I think what that poster means is if you stay under the speed limit, you won't get points. Any speed limit, no matter if you agree with it, or if it's crazy, just stay under it and you can't be done for speeding.

Bit late for that everyone goes over the limit every now and that mainly not on purpose or without realising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

How old are your oldest penalty points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Absolutely, 95% of drivers, myself included, I would say. But once you start accumulating points, surely you'd then join the 5% who don't speed? Especially as you have taken on responsibilities where you need your license?

However, what's done is done, and it's more important what you do now. First off, I would get legal help, your solicitor, for advice, they will have a greater understanding of what possible options you might have. If you don't have a solicitor, there are sure to be some locally (or ask a family member/friend for a recommendation).

Delaying things until some points drop off seems to be a good option, but that will depend on how long you have to wait.

I dont actually lose any points until next August where I will lose 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You should be able to string it out with appeals etc until then.

Advertisement