Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,003 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If he has done anything bad sunlight and public courts way to go. Again if a deal is done I will smell a rat.

Do you smelLllLLLlLlLLLLLLLLLLL it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Was not removed from office. I don't think they can get him he's too slippery. Show trials on the hill are nothing compared to the sunlight of an actual trial in the courts.

"if a deal is done I will smell a rat."

Did you read the impeachment? See the hearings? See the trial? Read the coverage?

Do. You. Smell. It? That's my question here, not "did Impeachment remove Trump from office."

I fail to see what over going old ground does. He was not removed. And the expectations in impeachments are lower than the law are they not ? I really don't understand the 2nd one he's out of office. Why can't the FBI go after him It's just a show. If he goes to court and gets convicted fine let him rot. I don't really see the issue here. I'm not American Politicians are all dodgy. I hold politicians to account in Ireland where it actually affect me. USA it's just a Circus to me. You could put a dem or a rep In front of me and they would both come off like used car salesmen sorry used salespeople.

• Advertisement

Okay, if this is how you want to display your sense of smell you just boasted of, I'm gonna rest my case there.

Ultimate smell test is in an actual court. Not the one of public opinion. Why I said court not show trials.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So are tou telling me by that logic that Bill Clinton did not actually have sexual relations with that woman?

No he fessed up something trump has not. People seem to be fans of innocent until proven guilty around here depending on the politician involved. I have said in the courts if people are trying to suggest any admiration or likeing of the orange one they are mistaken. There have been many trials I was unsure of but accepted the outcome off. That's how the justice system works here and in America.

I wasn't asking about the ultimate smell test, just yours:

Again if a deal is done I will smell a rat.

But **** it, I digress. I guess this was just empty bravado.

• Advertisement

That's quite the panel of fascists who all want to embrace this unironically

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I have never seen the appeal of Trump either as a politico or as a businessman. He has been a failure in both and is somehow able to sell himself as more successful than he actually ever really was! Trump's 4 years in office were abysmal to say the least ... Covid, Iran policy, meaningless summits with Kim Jong Un and Putin, insulting almost everyone and many the country that he encountered, namecalling, endorsing wellknown conspiracy nuts, etc. says pretty much everything.

That said though US politics in the modern era has been a travesty ever since 9/11 and the decision to go to war in Iraq ... based 100% on a false conspiracy theory. These conspiracies did not start with 9/11 or that war but in 1980s when there were several rumours of such wars based on exaggerated threats. In the end 9/11 proved to be the catalyst for conspiracy wars and sadly Russia have just copied the US approach now and all.

The sad fact is the Democrats and Republicans can no longer get on. When senseless individuals like Marjorie Greene gain support enough said. This whole Trump-related madness started in its modern guise within the Republicans with the so-called Tea party which was a violently anti Iran anti Obama anti big government anti Islam pro war pro conspiracy nutter group that lead to the Proudie and the Oathie boys later and that horned man from January 6th. The sad irony is they look like the false stereotypes of the countries they hate!!

The very idea of Trump or some worse Republican nutter representing that party or getting elected president says a lot. That America can even consider voting for these jokers in mass numbers is scary to say the least. The Democrats are not much better. They have not reversed 90% of Trump's misguided agenda such as sanctions implemented and appear to try to appease these nutters who have taken hold of the Republicans. America is in a very bad place at the moment. Not quite one of those American dystopias from those TV shows but not far off it either.

Not really I want him to see inside of a court. Is that so far beyond expectation ? As I have said sunlight.

The issue is Americans. Us looking in see the entire system is broken. It's a clown show. Dem can't see that there just like Rep. Worst thing is they have Nuclear weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Don't remember the dems organising a coup from the top down, but sure as you said, both sides are as bad as each other /s

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Was not removed from office.

The fact he wasn’t removed from office doesn’t matter, he is still for the record a twice impeached former president, just like Clinton is a one time impeached president. It amazes that trump supporters can’t understand this concept. Donald trump was impeached and like Peter Jennings said on the ABC coverage of Clinton’s impeached, it will be a stain on his presidency for the rest of history, and that was just as the house was voting to impeach him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The only thing holding them back is that they’re stupid fascists, for the most part. They haven’t the intelligence to really form a cohesive movement the way they could if they had a few intelligent leaders.

Hitler, Himmler etc. we’re monsters, but they weren’t stupid. I’m not so worried about Trump, Marjorie Taylor Green or Matt Gaetz.

If Ron DeSantis really commits to leading the MAGA movement, I’ll worry. He’s a lunatic, but there’s a cunning to him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,938 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Except under oath Clinton was found to have committed perjury which was one of the articles of impeachment and the other article was obstruction of justice which trump did multiple times during his term in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,633 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He made a last-minute payoff in relation to Trump university fraud. $25m I think it was. Surely that was the time for you to see that he was nothing but a con man.

He has been convicted of fraud in relation to charities ad at present is forbidden from being o the board of a charity. That was probably a good time to make the call on him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Could team Trump argue that the act of moving dozens of boxes of illegal materials occurred before he signed his pocket pardon?

One commentator suggested that Trump’s best defense was that he was not involved in such minor moving details and that his WH staff was responsible. And later when the librarians complained, this staff assured him that they took care of it. In other words, throw his staff under the bus.

Plus, I doubt that Trump will be indicted by DOJ. Both Trump and Graham have recently warned of violence in the streets if they try Trump. There’s a lot of civil war chatter on the web accordingly. So as with the Russia Mueller investigation, and 2 impeachment’s, Trump will once again slip away and run in 2024.

If Trump wins 2024, can CalExit?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This is a ridiculous position to hold.

The sole reason he has avoided legal ramifications for the multiple acts he has committed is because of the immunity of the office. That is the main reason he denied the result of the election.

To tease out your logic, if he shot dead someone on 5th avenue, because he was not convicted while president, you wouldn't have an issue.

Looks like he was right on that front after all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No.. and the main reason for that would be Trump and his big mouth ,as it nearly always is - the old saying of "only opens his mouth to change feet" seems to be a perfect fit for the guy.

Karl Rove was on TV last week and said that the best advice for Trump would be to "stop talking and leave it to his lawyers" , which of course he has not done.

Any defense of "Donald Trump didn't know" falls apart instantly because Trump has told us all that he knows about everything.

He has repeatedly said that the stuff is "his" and they they "took it from him" etc.

And aside from that there have been reports that some of the documents have Trumps hand-writing on them.

"Dem can't see that there just like Rep"

And we are back to posters being either delusional or disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The threat of violence or riots as Trump and Graham have alluded to are offset by the threats of jail as per the dozens of those at Jan 6th who have been charged/jailed, coupled with the huge negative reaction to the riots both nationally and internationally, and the lack of effect it had.

If Trump is charged with crimes, there will almost certainly be trouble from some of the most ardent supporters, but I really doubt it'll be on the level of "riots", and I think the message from a lot of the GOP will be that it'll hugely damage their election chances nationally.

It's a veiled threat from Trump and his acolytes, but as much as Jan 6th has shown what Trump's followers are willing to do, it's also shown that engaging in those actions can ruin your own life, and Trump will not give a f*ck about you.

One commentator suggested that Trump’s best defense was that he was not involved in such minor moving details and that his WH staff was responsible. And later when the librarians complained, this staff assured him that they took care of it. In other words, throw his staff under the bus.

Problem with that is

a) his handwriting is on the docs and

b) he didn't, and continues to refuse, to hand the docs back.

He is claiming they are his. How on earth can he "blame the staff"?

Plus, I doubt that Trump will be indicted by DOJ. Both Trump and Graham have recently warned of violence in the streets if they try Trump. There’s a lot of civil war chatter on the web accordingly. So as with the Russia Mueller investigation, and 2 impeachment’s, Trump will once again slip away and run in 2024.

I can't tell if you're being serious here or not.

"Chatter online" does not constitute grounds for letting someone away with breaking the law. It is a ridiculous idea that the threat of violence can circumvent justice. Charge him, let the crazies come out, and then arrest them, just like they continue to do with Jan 6.

As for him running in 2024, it is a fanciful dream unfortunately. I would dearly love him to.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's willful at this stage.

The GOP are openly trying to subvert democracy and threaten violence on their opponents on a daily basis. They have no interest in Justice or fairness , they only want victory.

Democrats are guilty of naivety and delusions about how things work. They have focused on the wrong things in terms of the big picture and the long game repeatedly. They still believe that Washington is where the most influence can occur, the GOP have long recognised that in the US , this is not the case.

There is a reason that schools boards have become the battlegrounds for the GOP recently - They see it as a way to create/control their future voters , just like they have focused on State/County level offices for years to facilitate the control of the electoral process.

The Democrats have stood by and watched while this is happening.

The rules of democracy are being removed from the bottom up by the GOP and the Democrats have allowed it to happen.

They both have their flaws, but to suggest that their flaws are in any way comparable is utter and absolute nonsense.

Oh absolutely..

The Democrats are naive idealists peppered with a few corporatist shills.

The GOP are fast becoming a Christian Nationalist party peppered with a few proto-fascists who want to install their version of (what would be anything but) benign dictatorship.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement