Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And he usually misses a chunk of every season with an injury as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, all improved their squads and United won't be far behind either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

And has been really off form for quite a while now, from the end of last season to the beginning of this one. It would be remarkably remiss of the club not to bolster the midfield in this window but it looks as if that's what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

This thing of waiting for the right player, which seems to imply they are waiting until next summer to sign Bellingham is just deflection, I don't think we'll sign Bellingham, he'll have much stronger offers from at least 5 or 6 other clubs so unless he really has his heart set on playing for us or Klopp, then we ain't going to get him. Even if we somehow end up with Bellingham next summer, that's still no good to us for this season, we need a midfielder now, there are plenty of decent midfielders mentioned on here already that could definitely improve our midfield this season, and prove valuable in coming seasons too, it doesn't have to be a 60/70 million pound player, there are plenty of guys that could be got for well under 20 million that would be a better option than Milner, Jones, Ox & Keita.

It's like the 9-0 against Bournemouth has swept away all our problems; United under Ole also won 9-0, results like that are more a reflection on how poor the team that lost was, than how good the team that won was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With Carvalho and Elliott looking the part maybe we're right to hold off, with Jones back in full training, and Keita and Thiago almost back. Suddenly things look crowded in midfield, Keita is key, he had a great 40 game season for us last season, down with a mystery illness for weeks, then back in training only to get injured in training, unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m not surprised we’re not getting anyone in, but it’s a real kick in the teeth to Klopp. He extended his contract on the same terms so his staff could get increases and get investment in the squad.

Obviously FSG are far better owners than the Glazers, but they’re still not fans - they might be happy enough with going for the CL places this year by holding off until January to see if signings are required to meet that objective.

We don’t have too many years of Klopp left though, so not backing him when he needs it feels like a real missed opportunity. Everything will be more difficult when he leaves.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's not even a sniff of a transfer in the gossip columns today for us, so either we are running an incredibly tight ship or nothing is happening.

Not signing anyone is going to cost us. Our season will be spent hoping injury prone players avoid injury.

Signing the likes of Bellingham next season will be difficult if we haven't got Champions League football, and with the way other teams have strengthened us finishing outside of top 4 is not as crazy as it sounds. Things are going to be closer at the top this year IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Sancho and Haaland's wages will have no bearing on Bellingham, unless he signs for City or United. The only metric that matters is what he is on now and what we could offer him. If he only wanted money he would move to United or City or even Chelsea. If he wanted to play for Klopp and Liverpool he would accept a lower wage than those teams can offer.

I am sure we had these arguments and discussions with CB's in 2020-21. The same arguments about value and waiting for the right player and posters saying there are players out there we can sign without being specific or knowing that the players and team they are playing for is open to a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

There is great value in players abroad. For example, Real Sociedad signed Brais Mendez (25) from Celta Vigo for €14M in July, he was considered a €40M player a year ago. A versatile attacking player that can pass and shoot, he naturally presses opponents and has played every position in the top half of the pitch. I see him as the type of player that the club thought Minamino was going to turn out to be.

The "right player" used to be about their willingness to take on board what Klopp wanted them to do. Provided they had the physical ability to play football and were willing to adapt to what he needed from them all was good. It's the very reason that James Milner played left back for a season. To be honest I don't know what the attributes of the right player are now but it must be something mythical because for two years there hasn't been one to be found for our midfield.

Klopp has taken the foregoing the signing of a player because they aren't the right player to the extreme and it's a serious problem that may not be addressed until after he leaves. I don't think this season is a write off but we will require a great deal of good fortune to keep certain players fit with the intense schedule before the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Scott Parker got the bullet this morning.....he certainly went out in style 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's an English lad he may get fed up of living abroad,

Every time he is with English he seems to be glued to the side of the Liverpool lads,

I honestly think he will join us when he leaves Dortmund if we a re a champion league club,

I think Jude wants to be the next Gerrard,

Looking back at the weekend i think the thing that excited me most was the position that Diaz scored his first goal from .

If he get in there often he will score a shed load of goals.

But i think himself & Salah will get into those position more when we become more solid again , When our CB & Midfield is solid the full backs push so much more with confidence which allows our wide forwards get to sit inside ,

It was a real Mane ogal & something Diaz is capable of just has to make it habit now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Elliot and Carvalho are too young to carry the midfield. Fulham fans also suggested that Carvalho's form was up and down last year in a Championship side. He can't be replied upon for a PL title challenging team.

Jones is yet to show that he is up to standard.

Keita is never available and didn't have a 'great' season last year. He played well when the team played well as a whole but never shined when the team were off form. He's unable to grab a game by the scruff of the neck.

Henderson is on the decline. He can do a job against most midfields but sadly not able for it anymore against the likes of City and in cup finals.

We badly need a midfielder. One this season and another next season when Ox leaves and possibly even Keita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Apparently there's a very similar concerns across the pond with Red Sox fans, massively frustrated at the owners unwillingness to invest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Of course their salaries will have a bearing. Do you think his agents aren't going to use the 2 most similar recent transfers as a benchmark of what he'll expect from Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

just in time to get a sub teacher role for the new school year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Jurgen not sounding very confident of us getting another midfielder in before Thursday night. Bloody travesty that they've even left it this long.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but that's a really naive view, why would he accept lower wages just to play for Klopp? Chelsea, City and United will be all interested and offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Klopp's comments re he would like to take more risk & he gets told what is possible and not possible is the clearest sign from him that he does not get backed.

FSG have completely great work on the capital side of things but they are owners and not fans, coming top 4 is probably better for them than winning the league if they have close to zero net spend windows whilst other clubs are at 200m+.

They know that they hit gold with Klopp and now with him being with us till 2026 it is perfect.

We will have serious issues when he leaves though thankfully that is a long way off.

Our chances of top 4 will correlate to the fitness of Thiago & Keita so it is risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In reality we're not looking for a first team midfielder, we're looking for cover, experience on the bench. No way will we buy someone and try to bed them into the team in important games, right now Fab, Henderson, Elliott are the starters, that's not going to change no matter who we buy.

And with Nunez back, and Jota nearly back, isn't it about time Firmino returns to the position he played his whole career until Klopp played him as a 9, ie midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Firminho was at best a very attacking number 10 or advanced wide player in his brief midfield days. He is no where near suited to the type of player Klopp's system requires in the middle!

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We are looking for a first team midfielder, we are looking for someone who can come straight in and play the big games. We already have the promising youngsters in Elliot and Carvalho, and we already have the experienced guys who can play from the bench in Henderson and Milner.

We're supposed to have Ox and Keita in this role, but neither can stay fit. Replacing these 2 with 1 player we can rely on is what we are desperate for.

We have Thiago to do that job too, and while he's not quite as bad as the two above, he still picks up more than his fair share of knocks.

We are desperate for a first team midfielder. Signing one would transform us IMO.

All the media talk of Bellingham been pretty much a done deal in the summer is a strange one. There must have been a dozen reports or more from different sources stating this over the last week...I for one can't see it, if he has even a semi decent world cup to back up a decent showing for Dortmund this season his value could be in and around 120/150m mark, coupled with the wages a player like him will demand it just seems very unlikely.

• Advertisement

He played 153 games before he joined & 384 since he joined us,

So he's played double the amount as a CF than anything else .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

A certain former Southampton player famously chose to play for Klopp over the money on offer at Man City and Chelsea. The decision about what club to join isn't always about money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The clubs are not in a similar situation so I don't think it is as easy as just pointing to another players salary and expecting it. Does Bellingham have a low buyout clause like Haaland? If not salary is not relevant. Will Bellingham move to a club where the keeper is getting £350K per week and they have paid one player £500k per week and other players are on inflated salaries? No, so it is not relevant to what he can expect here.

That is their prerogative and it would be up to the player to accept. We do not pay low salaries, but we don't pay the highest. If a player just wants to earn the highest salary, then Liverpool is not for them and that player is not for Klopp or Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sepp Van den Berg has signed a new contract and been immediately loaned to Schalke. That’s a decent move for him, he should be starting most weeks against a decent calibre of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Was just about to post this, they must see something in him to keep renewing his contract, my pal is a Preston fan and really rates him...

Not exactly a barometer in how to judge a player but they were happy with him 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

It's probably too late for this but I think we should have went for a full back in the summer and move Trent into midfield. He plays there mostly anyway and a better defender would help us. I am not sure at present if what Trent gives us going forward from full back is compensated by his lack of defending nous (or the ability of Fabinho and Henderson, etc. to cover for him).

From recent memory he was partially at least at fault for goals against Man City in the league decider, Champions League final, Community Shield, Fulham, Man United and offered chances vs. Palace.

It may have been easier to find a full back to suit our purpose than a midfielder if there is no options right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The cynic in me says it’s what I’d call a “Chelsea”. Buy a young talent for a modest fee possibly below their true market value, and loan them out to suitable clubs each season until their value is high enough to turn a decent profit. If he turns out to be useful to Klopp, then it’s a huge bonus.

Worst case scenario the club make a few million of him next summer to bolster the transfer kitty, best case scenario he becomes the ginger Maldini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Ken Early has been banging that drum for a while now. I still think we'd lose too much moving him there and could he even do the other midfield tasks needed.

Klopp is basically begging for a midfielder, I don't like those quotes. Why give Salah such a big contract if your not going to continue to make the squad competitive?

I like FSG, I really do but they struck gold with Klopp and aren't prepared to go that extra mile and keep us up there, its just disappointing and a missed opportunity. We don't need a rebuild but the longer you push these things out, we do.

Its not that simple, Trent comes onto play because he's at right back so he's coming on to the ball with everything in front of him,

He also gets the space to do this because he is a RB , he rarely has anyone directly closing him down which he would in midfield 95 % of the time Trent gets the ball he is facing forward,

Putting him into midfield changes our whole dynamic, not just him put the whole team set up would change

I'm not sure if it's because he's been really pressed on it by the journos at the briefs lately or what, but this is the most we have ever heard Klopp regards transfers along with subtle messages of "things not been in his hands"! I'd say deep down he is really really pi**ed at what's going on. Especially after signing a new contract he may have felt it would have lead to a stronger backing in the market...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I get the clubs stance of buying the right player, but in fairness to them the injuries so early in the season to a vital section of the squad is unprecedented.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Surely everyone realised that big salaries for the existing team means less money for transfers not more!!!!

Yes but I also would of thought it meant we want to keep our best players and win more. To win more the playing squad needs investment, selling a key player like Mane and replacing with a young unknown Darwin Nunez actually leaves the squad weaker before we even mention another year older our midfield is. Yes Carvalho and Harvey are promising but they are just kids and raw, they can't start 40 games at this level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I dunno why but players do it all the time. Salah literally just accepted a new contract which was a fraction of what he could have gotten elsewhere to stay here and play for Klopp. All those same teams were interested in Salah and would have given him more wages than he accepted with us. In fact I dare say every member of our starting 11 over the past few seasons could have gone to another club and received higher wages but didnt, can you explain to me why that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We bought Calvin Ramsay. He may be young, but already hugely rated, with a full senior season behind him.

We're not gonna do the 'Trent midfield' thing, but we do at least have cover at RB now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

FSG are blessed to have Klopp. He's the ideal mudguard for them. Won't kick up a fuss and his genius as a manager and a leader covers up a lot. He gets absolutely everything out of that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

BVB happy to sell one of there CB’s to City at a bit of a knockdown price according to the Athletic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think he only has a year left on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

They're not "blessed" to have him. They chose him. Them being "blessed" to have him would be a situation where they bought the club and he was already in place or something like that. Saying they are blessed to have him totally forgets the fact that it was them who brought him to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

If he's not happy with the backing he has, then why did he sign a new deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Maybe he was promised more at the time, no different to Salah.....I would think part of the reason he extended is for continued success as he could likely have earned far more at a different club. We are all speculating though it is clear that other clubs have invested far more and what was a 50m player is now closer to 100m so I think it becomes a more difficult transfer market for us going forward.

We still have loads of quality players but there is a chasm in the age profile of our midfielders which should have been addressed last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

They have been trying to get rid of him all summer. Last year of his contract and he made it very clear he will not sign a new one, asked for a move but has priced himself wages wise out of most deals. Hasnt been in a BVB squad this season.

Advertisement