Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He is spiraling pretty fast in recent days.

He's absolutely working on firing up the morons to take to the streets if charges are brought forward.

He doesn't care about what that might mean for them or the country as a whole, he just sees it as a way to save himself.

He will burn the whole place down trying to save himself and there are far too many idiots around that will cheer him on while he does it.

Got to keep the short bus crowd fed, they get distracted easily

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The MAGAts are just in the process of transforming into Mussolini style Blackshirts. Their job will be to terrorize opponents of Trump and, very importantly, create general mayhem and spread fear. Thankfully they consist of a lot of cranks, idiots, malcontents and lunatics.

If these people were even the slightest bit better organised, they could really create a lot of chaos and Trump would blame BLM and Antifa for it. He would then promise to clean up this mess if elected. It worked for Hitler and it worked for Mussolini. One can only hope that by dint of his general laziness, incompetence, arrogance and ignorance, he is so self-assured that he thinks everything is going AOK for him. His worst qualities are, to us anyway, his best qualities.

The other good thing, he had the momentum in 2020. And for the reasons outlined above, he failed to fully cash in on the situation. My feeling, should he run in 2024, he won't succeed either, because he missed the crest of the wave. This truly was The Revolution of Stupid.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This truly was The Revolution of Stupid.

It's the followup on the 'revenge of the simple' that Taibbi wrote about 6 years ago. As much as Taibbi isn't the most popular, he knows TFG supporters. And he knew Bush II:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭briany

I totally agree that Trump doesn't really care about the stability of the country vs. saving himself from jail, but if he creates enough chaos, he's still in danger. He'd better have a 'bugout' location ready or else at least have a safe room in Mar a Lago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's hard to know what will actually happen.

Other than January 6th when Trump himself attended and egged them on , any subsequent attempts to "take to the streets" have all largely been damp squibs.

It seems that all it takes to hole them below the water-line is for someone to suggest that the event is a government scam to facilitate mass arrests and then no one turns up.

I have no doubt that there could be multiple isolated dangerous incidents where small groups of cretins try to shoot up a government/FBI office or whatever , but I struggle to imagine that the MAGA's would manage to get to something as widespread and large scale as the BLM marches/riots in 2019 for example.

They truly don't strike me as remotely cohesive and organised enough to actually deliver on their own.

However if Trump directly organised a protest outside a court house or something , then all bets are off.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

If it gets to the point where the gathering is actually about clashing with government forces, then I don't think mass arrests would be a deterrent as such. The deterrent, then, would just be the idea of getting in a physical fight with trained law enforcement and/or military personnel. In that type of fight, a lot of the pub talkers who exist in the alt-right side of things would be as much a liability as anything else, and they wouldn't show up anyway, leaving only a hardcore of angry men with big beards to play martyr.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I genuinely am at the point where the only way this madness will stop and people will wake up is if one of Trump’s idiot followers actually kills a sitting Congressman or Congresswoman.

Oh, that would be quickly rationalised by the conservative U.S. media. They'd just need a little time to find a cohesive angle that wouldn't get them sued somehow.

Meanwhile, on Telegram and 4Chan and everywhere right-wing trolls hang out, the killer would be hailed as a hero (or else called a victim of Antifa mind control. Or something.)

Agreed, It would be explained away like any other shooting in the US - by avoiding the blatantly obvious reasons for its occurrence and deflecting like crazy

The individual would be labelled mentally ill and the "insane liberal media" would be blamed for pushing them over the edge.

"Just an ordinary decent god fearin' American pushed over the edge by what's happening to his beautiful country"

Or failing that - "It's a radical left Antifa false flag event"

• Advertisement

Just a selection of talking points from those channels that have 'news' in their titles but aren't legally news, and who look right down the camera with a serious face when giving their opinions, but they're really just entertainers who don't necessarily mean what they say, especially when what they say provokes a lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

5 minutes in, Zuckerberg . . . the FBI came to us . . .

Then Top FBI agent resigns amid claims he shielded Hunter Biden from probe: report

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. I suspect Mr. Thibault has been made fall on his sword to save his upstairs bosses. This is Watergate level stuff.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

This bears absolutely no resemblance to "Watergate" whatsoever.

So far what we have is a comment from Zuckerberg that said "the FBI came to us" , to which the FBI responded , "we go the the Social media companies all the time about possible mis-information". So we still don't know if that means anything at all in the grand scheme of things.

Then we have unsubstantiated reports that an FBI agent resigned or was fired for something to do with their handling of the Hunter Biden laptop while also managing to shoe-horn in a whinge about some Social media posts that weren't nice to Republicans (they managed to drag in Peter Stzrok and Lisa Page into that segue).

This might be something or it might not.

For a start we still don't know if the Laptop has anything actually legally actionable on it.

We know that Hunter Biden is currently trying to make a deal regarding Tax issues , but so far nothing tangible has come out about the alleged contents of the laptop.

So the FBI guy might be guilty of suppressing damaging information that wasn't true or that may not lead to any kind of prosecution.

BTW - Nice use of a story from a week ago to deflect from the current conversation about Trumps latest public tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Much of that comes from allegations by the 88 year old republican senator Chuck Grassley, take from that what you will

• Registered Users Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"There may be a sliver of a chance of something possibly amiss here."

Trump supporter - OMG! This will blow your mind!

"Trump clearly breaks several laws and obstructs justice"

Trump supporter - I👏Need👏 a👏 conviction 👏in👏a👏court👏of👏law👏

Putting aside that this hunter Biden nonsense is baked into any decision Americans make today.

Trump alleged all sorts of nonsense and even got himself impeached on this subject. Any of his idiotic followers believed it and they turned out in 2020 and voted accordingly.

Frankly, everyone else doesn't give two **** what a current president's drug addict son does or did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's really the only angle that they have, unfortunately. They know that Trump is a crook and that his family engaged in plenty of dodgy self-dealing (chinese trademarks, saudi billions etc) but they don't want to admit to themselves that they like a crook. They would rather believe that everyone's at it and Hunter Biden is the closest thing that they have to that so that's what they're going to continue shíting on about until the cows come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The thing is that everyone who knew of or about trump pre-presidential run, knew he was a con-man and a shyster but had got lucky as a TV personality on a show.

And sure, when elected president, you kind of think that maybe he would have applied a tiny smidge of business acumen, or at least get some people in who knew some, but instead he got in the worst of the worst, then ignored them by doing stupider things then they suggested anyway and has been stuck in grift mode ever since. It is entirely unsurprising how bad he was, even when given a chance (I can only imagine how exasperated McConnell was in dealing with him for getting judge's in place).

Everything he is doing now is solely motivated by saving his own skin and enrichment, he has shown 0 skills to run anything, let alone a country.

What keeps him going is the absolute refusal by a lot of people to admit they got it wrong about him.

What keeps him going is the absolute refusal by a lot of people to admit they got it wrong about him.

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that.

For a lot of the GOP party apparatus they are tied to him because of his ability to influence their futures in the Primaries , they despise him and know that he is absolutely a drag on their performance , but they have repeatedly refused to take the hit and remove him because they are spineless power hungry cowards.

For some GOP Voters, this is where I agree with your point , theirs is a sunk cost that they are unwilling to accept along with the fact that they cannot stomach the idea of voting Democrat (or sitting out) to allow for his removal.

Then you have the MAGAs who genuinely see him as some kind of hero - I once heard him described as a "poors mans idea of a rich man" and "an idiots idea of a genius" and I think that fits for the MAGAs and their view of him.

They look at him and see someone that they think is one of their own "done good" or that he is "self-made" when he is anything but.

They have been sold so many lies by Fox News et al that they simply cannot see behind the curtain that has long since fallen (if it was ever there) for everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

“Watergate level stuff” eh? Sounds pretty damn serious. When was Hunter Biden President of the United States?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

In other news about "Agents who retire out of the blue" .

Tony Ornato, the Secret Service agent who claimed that Cassidy Hutchinson was lying about him telling her that Trump had grabbed the steering wheel in the car and was freaking out because he wasn't allowed go to the capitol , has suddenly retired.

Despite saying that he would absolutely testify under oath that he had never told that story and that it never happened he is retiring 48 hours before he was scheduled to give evidence under oath to the January 6th committee.

He claims that he will still attend the interview , but conveniently because he is now a private citizen all of a sudden, "investigators will not be able to subpoena his testimony to compel his cooperation in the probe."

Ornato also refuses to say who his employer will be in his new career with lots of suspicion that he is going to work for Trump or someone Trump adjacent.

But yeah.. something something Hunter Bidens Laptop!!!

Social media companies were informed of potential misinformation by the FBI. Social media companies then independently chose to flag suspect content. What exactly is your smoking gun?

And it's GOP operatives calling it suspect (like a former Pence aide.)

Everything TFG touches, dies. Get too close like this guy, and get bathed in the corruption. He probably would've pleaded the 5th if he ever did testify, anyway.

It is a good reminder that the committee will be starting up again soon. Might be time to re-watch some of the hearings, the last one was really tough to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,003 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is unfortunate for the something something Hunter Biden/Ashley Biden crowd whose logic is “nobody has DENIED the contents of the laptop/diary therefore it’s true”

and he is not DENYING Hutchinsons testimony. Huh.

Trump and his associates are knocking it out of the park in court these days...

Hey, that WH lawyer gave Eastman really good advice. He should take it.

And Coulter has ditched trump too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,003 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

meh.

this is the woman who “dumped trump” in 2018/2019. It was a ploy to goad him into not accepting the Bipartisanship that had emerged to fund the government, end a shutdown threat, fund over $25Bn for the border through congress, AND reform immigration. She came out with nonsense like this to infantilize trump and he turned right around and told Mitch to nuke the bipartisan deal, make sure it never hit the senate floor, and the government shut down for weeks.

• Advertisement

Trump's tactic of pleading the 5th while testifying under oath would be a sad look for a former president. Typically, US presidents both current and former have held themselves to some sort of statesmanlike standard. Not so with Trump.

And yeah, that is no less than we'd expect from Trump at this stage. His disregard of norms are well established, especially where he judges that casting such norms aside would benefit him in some way.

The problem is that his various 'truths' posted on his social media platform regarding the FBI raid could come back to haunt him and if they do I expect that he will try to explain them away with some variation of "I didn't personally post anything on that platform. It was put there by an assistant who took liberties with what I dictated." or the Rosanne Barr defence of "I was on Ambien" or "I said 'my safe'. I didn't say which safe was mine. I meant any safe in which sensitive documents were not stored. Those were all mine. The rest I have no idea about." How well these explanations would stand up under forensic investigation I don't know, but the objective would be to introduce just enough doubt to get away with it on the basis of technicality and the exalted position of being former president.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement