Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lol yeah it shouldnt be any longer than 2 minutes. I think its to do with the Youtube set up, they need videos to be a certain length so Youtube can insert ad breaks and the content creator gets paid more. One guy I watch football videos of always has 20+minute videos which will have 3 ad breaks when watching

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I throw mine in the freezer after shaping. Wrap individual balls in oiled cling film, then leave them out in a lunchbox with flour/semolina for a few hours before dinner. Works lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I gave up watching after a minute or so but if you’re putting individual dough balls into plastic bags. I’d freeze them before going into the bag and take them out before thawing. Then you can reuse the plastic bags.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I cold prove in the fridge for a few days, then divide, shape into balls, and freeze on a plastic tray. I'll generally make eight at a time and freeze six of them, so the balls fit on the tray handy enough. I sprinkle flour on the tray, put the dough balls on it, cover with another tray and put in the chest freezer until they're frozen, then take them off the tray and put them in a ziploc bag and back in the freezer.

When the time comes to use a couple I sprinkle flour on the tray again, take a couple balls out and put them on the tray, dust with more flour and cover with the second tray. Left to defrost at room temperature for about four hours they're ready to go when I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

always use mix(50-50%)of semolina and flour…much much better and less residue from semolina

• Advertisement

In Lidl from Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭newagesurfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Petunia11

Hi All, thanks for all the tips. Just wondering where everyone sources their flour from - I have looked in some Supervalus and haven't been able to find any in the bakery or the Italian section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I actually ordered it from Amazon the first time but they have it in my local SV since.

Folks recently i am experimenting with higher hydration dough...issue i have is once i shape the pizza there is access of flour/semolina sticking to it which i cannot remove as i use gravity based stretching ! Any tips how to get rid of access flour/semolina without compromising on shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boccers

If you were going to be using a lot or could split with someone you can get 20kg bags of Caputo 00 flour from a few wholesale places depending where you live. I got one from a place in Wicklow a few years ago and it was only €20. I just called to their warehouse and picked it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

What hydration are you using? I use 70% and don't find it a problem just lift up the dough for final stretch on the closed fists and then clear of excess flour from the table. i suspect if you are using 80% hydration you will definitely have to use a peel with holes and let excess flour go through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

I have bought this flour in SuperValu and thought it was excellent.

using it since last year..stocked up during their Italian fest for €1.5..super for high hydration and long fermentation

I do that.. its just lot of flour/semolina remains stuck and goes into my home oven and stone..maybe i need to remove the coarse semolina from my mix and go with fine semolina

Finally dumped the 20 quid cheapo Ikea table for the Ooni and upgraded to a stainless steel catering table. I was going to go with something wooden to hold the Ooni but didn't want the hassle of sanding it down and treating it every other year.

Stainless steel doesn't rust so it should stand up to being outside year around plus as a catering table it is 304 grade food safe steel so pizzas can be made shaped and topped directly on it, it just needs sanitising before use.

The table will also serve as a staging post to get joints of meat on and off the Weber bbq and to leave them rest there on a chopping board before carving. Will also use the bottom shelf as a bit of an overflow for fire logs if the log store is full up which it usually is at the start of winter. But the main advantage is now having space to shape dough and put the toppings on pizzas right there next to the Ooni, it's a game changer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Nice. Where did you pick that up? I was looking at a few on caterboss, and I think caterexpress.

Also checking on DoneDeal but you'd need to be collecting with a trailer nearly.

I got it on Donedeal used but in very good condition for 150 quid. They would be around 300 brand new from a steel catering company but restaurant businesses go bust all the time so you can find used versions on Donedeal and Adverts for cheaper than that. It is 1.2 metres wide so I was able to fit it in a car (just about). A 1.8m wide one would be a bit trickier, a van or trailer would be better to transport that length.

Great thing about it is being finally able to do everything pizza outdoors without leaving the garden during summer. We would be eating the pizza in the garden so before I got this the process was to shape and top the pizza inside the house, then bring it on a peel outside to cook, then back inside to chop it up and dust with oregano and then back outside again to serve it on plates in at the garden table. Now all that faffing around of going in and out of the house is gone and I can make pizza right beside the Ooni and then serve it behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Nice one. DoneDeal is great for stuff like that. I am looking at a 1.5m one, might struggle to get it in the boot though as you say.

Good thing about the catering sites is they look after delivery. Downside of course is you pay for the privilege.

Cheers and will wear, it's a nice quality of life improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi everyone looking for some advice looking for recommendations for designs for purpose-built pizza ovens that I could ask a builder to make for our back garden. We want something built not a device like a Ooni or the likes if that makes sense. Want a real pizza oven. All advice is greatly appreciated. Want to make a lovely feature for our back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

I used this 12 years ago. Plans are good and the forum on forno bravo is very good for all sorts of advice. I really enjoyed the building process. But beware that those ovens are beasts when it comes to fuel and you will need a plentiful supply of good timber. I would use about 2 barrows of logs when I light mine so I would cook a minimum of 12 and more when I light it party time.

Others on here have used vermiculite concrete to form the dome which heat up a lot faster but cool down fast. You tube have a lot of resources for that type of build covering an exercise ball with the concrete.

You can also buy the prefab sections in Dineen sales in Athy and build a nice housing around them.

But if you want to just enjoy two pizzas its dam hard to beat the Karu and one small log chopped into a few sticks .

Good luck either way

😀

There is a thread here on Boards by a poster who built one a couple of years ago, cost of materials was about 1,000 and then a lot of hours went it to it, it is a big job. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058085873/diy-pizza-oven-build/p1

They look great and are a lovely feature in a garden but be mindful that they take a fair bit of time and effort of tending the fire to come up to temperature. Each oven will vary on the size of the dome but its typically an hour to get up to temperature. Aside from that they really come into their own for making a large amount of pizzas. You can also bake loaves of bread in them after the fire has gone out and they are cooling down.

Hi all,

Was lucky in a competition and won a Gozney Roccbox-can I use butane on it or does it have to be Propane?Is there any difference to flame,performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I believe butane burns with more soot than propane but same heat.

I know a builder that built his own first and has built 2 for customers, he charged over 5k per oven!

I was dead set on a diy block one myself but the amount of fuel is silly and 90% of the time I'd be making 2 pizzas so got the karu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ask for patio gas - it is propane I believe but more importantly it has the right connection for the roccbox regulator

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Thanks for all the information much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone have a good garlic pizza bread recipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I just make some garlic butter and spread it onto a pizza base.

Advertisement