Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

Pretty much a gauranteed 2 ballygunner senior teams next year,I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Great chance of winning it, but they won’t have 2 senior teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Roanmore 1-22 Abbeyside 2-11

Roanmore were much better coached than Abbeyside - highly motivated (as usual under Peter Queally), better first touch, well drilled, good in the air, very good defensively, physically strong. Cian Wadding was outstanding for them, Billy Nolan showing up well at centre back, and Gavin O'Brien gave an exhibition of free taking (he scored 0-15 in all). Abbeyside again played a lot of clueless hurling. Like the previous game they kept hitting long puckouts in the second half almost all of which were won by Roanmore. Their only attacking tactic was to lob high balls into Michael Kiely who, although he did get one good goal early on, was generally double and triple marked and got little good possession. At the same time, had they not missed two sitters of goal chances at the start of the second half, who knows how the game might have worked out.

I only saw the second half of the other game in which DLS looked quite sharp and were always the better team. The likes of Tonto Douglas, Eddie Meaney and Reuben Halloran showed up well, but the loss of Jack Fagan to a straight red will be a big semi-final setback. Dungarvan finished with 13 players after two reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I think I asked this question before but worth coming back to again - could/should/would Billy Nolan be considered as an outfield option? He seems to always do very well for Roanmore and is arguably their second most important player after Gavin O’Brien (speaking of which, should Davy be taking another look at him? I think it was after Davy finished in 2012 that GOB would have broke into the seniors).

Different sport and a long time ago I know but I think Niall Quinn acted as a sub keeper for Ireland at Italia ‘90 World Cup, could something similar to be done with Nolan? Is there any rule around a number 16 only being permitted to play as a sub keeper and not outfield?

Does anyone know how the underage sides did over the tournaments yesterday? I only saw a few results where they beat two (of the four!?) Cork sides but didn’t get to a final in any of the u14 tournaments. Not sure how the 15’s and 16’s did.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dan starting for Lismore

Some going

• Advertisement

Lismore very weak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Hopping between the F1 and the hurling neither a great spectacle!!

Dillon butler did his chances of a county call up,no harm whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭deisedude

I know Tipps Eoin Kelly was initially a sub keeper on the Tipp panel and brought on at full forward on his debut. Long time ago though and rules could have changed since

• Advertisement

Davy did a short interview on TG4

He siad his backroom team is 99% sorted and he plans on bringing in 43 players for the pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

so he did…😀😀 filming of fittest family must be concluded….?

West Intermediate final- Shamrocks vs Ballysaggart

East Intermediate final- Ballyduff Lower vs Ballygunner Intermediates

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Dan playing still isn’t a badge of honour it’s a fair reflection on the standards of all Gaa here - deplorable, hurling and football and worse it’s getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Given that they are managed by a man with many years of senior intercounty management experience, I was amazed that Fourmilewater adopted a first-half game plan which completely by-passed their best player, Jamie Barron, and consisted entirely on lamping long balls (much of it straight to unmarked Ballygunner defenders) into their forwards, 90 percent of which came straight back. Playing with the wind, they had more of a chance of scoring from out the field, as Ballygunner demonstrated time and again in the second half. FMW switched to more of a short-ball game in the second half, and improved significantly, but by then the game was beyond them. Once again, I was very impressed by Paddy Leavy in midfield for Ballygunner, with his excellent positioning and constructive passing, making liberal use of the "Brick flick" with his hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Dan is fitter than some fellas that are 10 years younger than him playing senior hurling and if you’ve watched any of Lismore’s games this year you’d see he can still be very effective. Tony Browne had just turned 40 and came on as a sub against Kilkenny in the qualifier in Thurles in 2013, did you think that was deplorable also?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

That’s a sad reflection on those young lads.

i did also re tb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Players have never been fitter and frankly your talking through your backside, Tony Doran started and won a club all Ireland final at 43.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Paudie Mahony was in blistering form yesterday. Haven't seen him that sharp in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Will Mount Sion beat them this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Very unlikely.

Mount Sion looked impressive on Sunday but were flattered by the really poor Lismore performance. Apart from scoring machine that is Aussie, how many other game changers have they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Came close last year, will need to be clinical with any chances they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Bit of an overreaction there. It’s not like the club championship is full of lads in their 40s, Dan is a bit of a freak of nature given his size and power he can still effect games but can’t think of anyone else that supports your argument that it’s everyone else is bad rather than Dan being good

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Looking forward to the games this weekend. Think Roanmore will have improved on last years final performance and are a fine all-round side, but i also think Ballygunner have continued to improve as a team. You never know on the day, every team is capable of having an off-day, but I cannot look past Ballygunner in this one.

DLS and Mt. Sion is an intriguing one. This time last year DLS were genuinely in danger of relegation and here they are this year one step away from the final, kudos to Ian Flynn and his team for that turn around. I always find it hard to know what DLS are going to bring on the day, undoubtedly some excellent individuals, but all too often so many of them have failed to turn up on the day. Jack Fagan if his suspension holds will be a huge loss for them

Mt. Sion were the dark horses last year with a very young and inexperienced side, and could well have caught Ballygunner on the day. Their form this year shows it was no "flash in the pan" and they look to have strengthened and are a more mature team - John Meany has them playing a really nice brand of hurling, not too dissimilar to Ballygunner's style and it suits them - they look a more complete package with a nice balance between youth and experience. Aussie aside the likes of Midget Roche, Owen Whelan and the various O'Neill's look to be playing with a new lease of life - but back to Aussie, if he fires like we know he can, he is near impossible to handle - i give the nod to the Monastery men to win out in a tight affair

Not many game changers,but there's only 1 assie in county anyway....but a spread of scorers potentially opens it up alot

I was impressed by alot of their stick passing and use of ball Vs lismore......but then it was only lismore

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Midget Roche didn't look too good going off injured at the end v lismore, would be a huge loss to mount sion if he doesn't make the semi-final. Overall I think mount sion have been the most impressive team I've seen so far,massively committed and play to game plan everyone clearly is well able for. Plus they have the game changer in Aussie. I'd fully expect them to beat DLS the weekend but should be a good game.

Ballygunner haven't over stretched themselves so far, tipping away nicely and should have too much for roanmore, who are another very well coached side who play to their strengths. Interesting that this is a repeat of last years county final, involving the all Ireland champions, yet only one Waterford starter between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Any word on jack fagan's suspension for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Why wouldn't it hold ? Straight red wasn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Because the decision is being appealed. And many reds reversed under appeal in the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Interesting that we have an all-city semi-final line-up compared to the county panel geographical spread. Has it happened much or ever before?

Advertisement