Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

It only needs the smallest amount of power to open the contactors to start the car, after which it runs off the main battery.

But you need to go via the main dealer or else you could invalidate your warranty. So you need an emergency drop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Father in law spoke to the Kia dealer today that he ordered from. It seems like the price on the first price list was printed incorrectly but the final price he was given was right.

The car "after" dealer delivery, metallic paint etc... Should come in at 45,710 or there abouts, but the original price list has it quoted ex delivery which was incorrect. So now it says 43,350 ex-delivery which is correct.

The price he was quoted last month was 45,710 all in, not ex-delivery. So no dealer should have been quoting 47/48k.

So the new version of the car has actually only gone up by about 3k which is way more reasonable than the 7k we all thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Do you mind me asking you what dealer your father in law was talking to?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This matches what 2 dealers told me in June... the car was going to be ~€43k RRP and that's what the price list on the website now also shows.

It was a bit of a shock to see the brochure at €47k a while back but clearly that was a mistake. They need to put some daylight between the Niro and the EV6 in terms of price. €43k makes alot more sense with the EV6 at €52k.

Limerick Kia.

I was wondering at the time how his quote for the car was cheaper than everyone was saying here. I thought he got let off a few bob for the delivery charge or something but it was just that he was given the correct pricing by the dealer so that's why it seemed lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I too was given a quote for 43k (45 after delivery etc) at end of May. I got the call in July to say it would be nearly 48k now and nearly died. Thank god this is the new price which I find more reasonable.

I put down a 500 deposit based on a 47k quote. I wonder will they now honour the proper market price quote?

I'd imagine so. It's worth a call anyway to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Doonbegman

I wonder how many might cancelled their orders when "pricing" was at €47/€48k and now want to get back on the wait list? I considered cancelling my fathers order (no.14 on the list at his local dealer-so it looks like it will be next year for delivery), even as a life long VW fan an ID.3 is out solely due to how maddening the infotainment system is. Saw the Megane E-Tech whilst on holiday in France and it is as stunning in reality as it is in pictures, but it is a little bit too low for him and as far as I know pricing/delivery hasn't been announced yet. So it was back to looking at an ICE car and the only one I would consider is a Skoda Koroq, and the cheapest Ambition 2.0 TDi 115 BHP DSG model with metallic, parking sensors and reverse camera, adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel and heated front seats is about €43,656 including delivery and the APR for PCP is 5.9% V 3.9% for the Niro EV. Of course the deal going through depends on delivery dates and what kind of trade-in he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The issue with the price and it now being cut is because Kia failed to take into account VRT reduction.

That's according to Derek Reilly post to IEVOA Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

They should do because the issue appears to have been Kia Ireland making an error on VRT calculation.

My argument would be

"If I go to another dealer I will get the car at the reduced price.

Any other buyer that comes after me will pay the reduced price. So kindly cop on and lets do the deal today at reduced rate"

The dealer in Limerick had taken it into account last month. Strange that so many dealers didn't take the VRT reduction into account considering they are all selling EV's a while now.

Spoke to a dealer today and he said they are worried the grant will be removed entirely in the budget so they cant actually stand over the prices.

I think there will be alot of pissed people after the budget if the govt pull the rug out and add €5k to cars with deposits already down. Lets hope they phase it in somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

With the greens in government I'd say highly unlikely.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Question on charging.

Both the niros, (eniro and niro EV face-lift)

Is there anything on them that can increase the charging speed without a hardware change. Let's say the max a niro can charge is 80kw.

Is it possible this can be increased via software as the charger can take the same voltage and amps as some of the cars that can charge at 125kw.

Recently the I'd.3, 4, 5 with a software update got faster speeds, I believe 125kw to 150kw.

So can the niro get an increase in time to still make the car relevant in say 3 years time when EVs are more common and chargers are everywhere? (the dream lol)

It was guaranteed to run until the end of 2023 in last year's budget wasn't it? I'd say it's more likely they announce it won't be extended at the end of 2023 or that it will start to taper off like they did in the UK. Lower the thresholds, or go from 5k, down to 3,500k and so on until it's gone.

Can see it being even harder to get an electric car next year if the grants do go after 2023.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No, Its been75kw from day 1, I dont see it changing either, as they both have the same battery. and its only 75kw for a short period,

The EV6 has a 800v battery and that can charge at much faster rates.

As more charge points get installed, and tThe majority of chargers are still only 50kw, Getting a quick 20-70% charge will be more commonplace, Its not gonna be outdated anytime soon.

It was guaranteed to run until the end of 2023 in last year's budget wasn't it?

Id have to read it again but that wasn’t my recollection of it. I think the EV grant was allocated for 1yr only each year and was always subject to the next budget… but maybe I missed that fine print last year.

Ya just looked back there and it seems to be until 2023 rather than the end of 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Evilcamper

I think it was the VRT reduction to last till end of 2023.

• Advertisement

Depends on Battery temp and whether there is now the ability to pre-heat the battery prior to fast charging which I assume not.

A cold battery can see drastic reduction in charging power on any EV.

I have the 82 Kwh VW id.3 Tour 5 and have yet to see more than 60 Kw on Ionity and 50 Kw on ESB 150 Kw. I believe you have to be plugged in at around 10% in the id3 to get good charging power, along with a warm battery, where as plugging in around 30% + will get much poorer speed.

So now I know not to bother paying more to use High Power chargers, at least for now but having so much range means trips to fast chargers are rare.

The newer cars with newer software are supposed to be better but the battery needs to be around 30 Deg C or more for decent charging power to begin with in any EV and in the case of the Kiw EV 6 and even with 800 volts it can heat up too fast and not be able to cool it properly so power has to be throttled, I don't know if this has been fixed yet.

Anyway, high power chargers are few and far between, especially in the South West, West and North West where the DC network in general is appalling, not great in the rest of the country either but particularly bad in these areas.

I spoke with 2 different dealers today and they said they heard nothing from Kia regarding the price change.

Not very nice when kia don't let the dealers know before updating prices on websites and price sheets. No communication.

Same for me. They had no idea about it until I got an email this morning to say they would honour the new price. I wonder are they deliberately "hearing nothing"!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Yeah I do not buy the story they have not heard about it. More likely is they are opting to play the dead bug : if customer says something, they revise the price, otherwise they pay the higher price.

Looking forward to day when you can buy your car online without these pointless middlemen who bring no value to the process.

Classic from dealers I suppose. It's like when you arrive in with an issue with specific brand of a car that's well known and they play the fool like its the first time they heard it.

Anyone else on here with Solar PV and a Zappi, getting the "Charge Delayed" error on their Zappi from time to time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moshaknks

Anyone have any contact with dealers regarding delivery date? Mine still doesn’t have a confirmed date yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ive seen the charge not resume on my emonevse the next morning.

If I refresh the app or unlock and lock the car it "wakes" the car up and charging starts.

• Advertisement

It's a known issue with the Zappi and the e-Niro. I was more wondering if anyone has had any joy with their dealer taking note of it.

Mine is more or less shrugging their shoulders. A dutch guy got his obc replaced my Hyundai Mobis. Another guy said his firmware was updated, but mine just say there's no further updates available.

Advertisement