Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think that there are any TDs from FF and FG who would bring the government down on the budget because the numbers are tighter. A Green backbencher might, but their issues are more away from the Budget. It would have been much easier to vote against the Budget last year when the government had a bigger majority.

If the government needs independents, that might be different, but a lot of the independents know that SF are targetting their seats in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It might be a bit non-obvious but the idea is sound. This is how genepool independents occur. They take advantage of a general backlash against a party by being seen to take a stand against the party and thus keep enough of their vote to get reelected.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sure, but most gene pool independents have enough of a personal vote to become one. Quit or get kicked out of the party and you are usually sunk, especially as you will be up against party candidates who want you out and the vote is often a party vote.

That risk is not obvious anywhere, even with the malcontent noises from backbenchers at times and I can't think of examples of TDs voting against their own Budget.

The "party vote" as a deciding factor is a fallacy. The core party support is much smaller than it appears. A few years ago, the opinion polls used to publish core figures for the parties by including the "Don't Knows" as a separate category. The problem is that over recent decades, the DKs have grown considerably and it is their vote (typically that of floating voters) that decides the outcome of elections. An angry electorate can destroy a party. This is exactly what happened to Labour in 2016 but Labour had been almost completely dependent on transfers and floating votes. When those transfers and floating votes disappeared, so did Labour's TDs. When the DK percentage starts increasing, it is generally an indication that electoral upsets are on the way.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

An ex-party member has no recourse to the party machine nor the party vote nor potential transfers of their former party and they are banking on a personal vote. Labour's nonsense allowed them to be destroyed and they were on a hiding to nothing by promising far too much.

Nash in Louth is a good example of someone far exceeding the low popularity of his party and his secret is being well-liked. Fitzpatrick as an Independent in Dundalk is the same but few who leave parties can expect the same success.

But in this scenario, a backlash against a political party makes a move to being a genepool independent more attractive. The other aspect that has not been mentioned is the effect of candidate selection on the parties if the government falls in September. Existing TDs would have an advantage over parties that had not yet selected candidates and a new party candidate may not have had enough time to develop a profile in the constituency. This is why the decision to become a genepool independent often favours the existing TD who is concerned about saving their seat. It is completely cynical but these are politicians.

Regards...jmcc

That makes it even less likely that anyone of them will jump ship, as they will be afraid of getting caught in the carnage.

It doesn't. A genepool independent depends on the sympathy vote from the core party vote.

You still haven't outlined a credible path to an early election. You and others have been saying the same thing for nearly two years. If I remember correctly, there were posters predicting within days of it forming that this government wouldn't get its first budget through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I expect the coalition of chaos to go full term and then get obliterated.

And I expect plenty of shenanigans along the way.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I agree with the first half of your first sentence. I too expect them to go full term, and I really don't understand the logic of those who respond differently.

• Advertisement

Currently the government is like a man holding on to a rising balloon and trying to decide when to let go of the rope.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would expect the government to run to term, or close as, depending on when it's strategic to hold the next election.

Scandals like Troy are relatively easy to deal with as they lose their positions and move to the backbench for a while (and it gets dragged out a lot over summer). It also doesn't help that the opposition have their own mini, similar, scandals at the same time, even though usually not to the same degree.

I'm sure there will be a similar "fall" of the government predicted at budget time due to a misconstrued kite.

FFG will be hoping for a post-Budget boost in the opinion polls. There will be a few coming up to the Budget and the impact of Troy Story could affect FF hardest. Strategically, candidate selection is going to be a major issue. The parties will need candidates in place and known in their constituencies. If FFG have to call and early GE then there might be a slight benefit in that SF may not have candidates in place. In the last GE, FG ran too many and SF ran too few. The problem for FFG and its majority is that it may still have to buy some support from the Independents. The cost of energy is going to cause problems and this is going to be a major factor. The EU is already trying to deal with the problem and some of the EU countries are more proactive in this respect. Martin apparently had a two hour meeting on the subject. The IT and Indo were running a story about a €10K electricity bill and this may become more common unless something is done to deal with the rising costs. People are not protesting on the streets yet but September is always a tense month for family finances.

Regards...jmcc

The EU need to address the now very dysfunctional energy market and they seem extremely intent on doing so. The energy price issue is not of any government's making except Putin maybe and you are jumping the gun in advance of the Budget on this. We will see supports made available next month and if that's not enough there will be even more supports as required. It's just money and we have that.

Isn't it time to put these polls down for a bit? They really don't mean anything at this juncture, apart from quotes from allegedly panicked backbenchers but polls within a month or two of an election date will.

The EU may have more of an input on stabilising energy prices. Ireland used to have a reasonable electricity pricing system until FF/PDs decided to go with their "competition" insanity. The price increases are already making headlines and this is a far more dangerous trend for the government than the Water Tax thing. This isn't an introduction of a tax but rather increases on essential bills that people have to pay. It affects people across the political spectrum. It has to be dealt with in the Budget.

Opinion polls are snapshots of public opinion at specific points in time. They are useful and both FF and FG may be facing leadership challenges if they are extremely bad. It is the last two weeks of any GE campaign, rather than two months, where the voting intentions become more obvious. Some of the newspapers don't commission polls during August but they tend to resume in September. The first of them might be published on Sunday or the Sunday after depending on the newspaper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Irish_general_election

The Troy Story problem is going to affect support but September always results in increased spending for families (back to school). This September is different due to the increased energy costs and the Budget from a government that has a knife-edge majority.

Regards...jmcc

I don't think that FFG are expecting or hoping for a post-Budget boost in the opinion polls. This winter is going to be tough, the toughest since the 1970s, there won't be a boost for them.

Best they will be hoping for is that a boost comes in late 2024/early 2025 as the infrastructure improvements start to come on stream, and the energy crisis caused by the Russians is left behind.

Dara Calleary of Golfgate fame is back! He is taking the ministry of the disgraced Troy.

Dara was one of 4 Ministers for Agriculture that FF have provided in this government since June 2020. Did any of them achieve anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Current one seems to be doing a trade mission to Japan and Singapore

I doubt the budget will give a boost, no matter what is introduced in each budget people will complain it is not enough or it doesn't cover the exact area they want.

Seemingly the VAT might be reduced on bikes according to a person I was talking to yesterday, that was the word on the street. So the B2W scheme might become more attractive. The more people cycling in Ireland the better, especially for the environment but also from a health point of view

If that is true, the Greens are continuing to have an impact on government, good to see.

Calleary was not a good choice. It looks bad for FF especially when people remember those who died during the Covid pandemic. In cynical terms, they partied while people died. FF had an opportunity to spin this as a clean break from Troy Story but Martin made a mess of it. It will be interesting to see if there is growing support for a leadership challenge in FF.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Agreed. Could they not have found a TD with a clean record? The Golfgate trial was a whitewash and I find it fascinating that photos of the party never got out. The partying during Covid story will be revisited during the next election campaign for sure.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

They should double the amount of money available in the B2W scheme to make it more attractive for e-bikes and cargo bikes, that can act like a second car.

There is huge expectations in this budget but impossible to please everyone.

It is just another example of Martin's weakness as a leader. FF needed a break from the past. Instead, Martin chose to continually remind people of it. If there are polls due for Sunday, it will be interesting to see if Troy Story and Calleary have any impact.

Sunday Times/B&A is generally FF friendly due to face to face polling. If FF is down in that poll then it will worry the FF backbenchers. Business Post/RedC uses online polling from a panel and is not FF friendly. Sindo/Ireland thinks is the same. The Irish Times/Ipsos uses face to face.

Not sure when the FF think-in is taking place but if any of these polls show FF sliding, then things will be difficult for Martin and his loyalists if FF backbenchers consider their seats to be at risk.

Regards...jmcc

I used the scheme for the first time recently to buy a very good mountain bike but it's a hugely abused scheme. I have lost count of the number of people who bought lawnmowers and strimmers and other garden stuff using the scheme. I know one person who managed to get a washing machine and dryer using the scheme. Don't ask me how. I'd say very few actually cycle to work but I wouldn't mind that as long they bought a bike.

I am looking forward to the next few polls and the return of the Dail.

Going to be a fun September for FFG. I think that the September 2020 poll by RedC had FF at 10%. That was during a highly abnormal period due to Covid. If FF even comes close to that (below 14% given a Margin of Error of around 3%), even the most loyal of Martin loyalists will be worried. The nighmare scenario for FF and for FFG in general is SF breaking 40%. Not sure of the downside for FG on Troy Story but it made Varadkar look like an idiot. However, most FG supporters probably realised that a long time ago when he was installed instead of the FG grassroots choice, Coveney. And there's still the Budget. :)

Regards...jmcc

Yep and also the possibility of public sector strikes.

Not in September, consultations etc. on pay deal will take up to five weeks. If big unions back it others will roll in behind.

Now is the Winter of their discontent? FFG is probably wondering if it can blame it all on Putin and the war in Ukraine. There's still the student accommodation issue which has taken a bit of a backseat to Troy Story.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Plenty of ebike under the 1500 clip, I guess the reduction in vat would also bring others down below it. A lot of them hugely overpriced as well like all popular items.

A lot of stock not available is the huge problem.

Cargo bikes I agree, they are excellent and maybe a "family scheme".

The stories of the B2W used to buy other equipment seem to get more extravagant on these each time. I heard of one case confirmed which the shop got caught out and was removed from the system.

Most companies now have a middle shop running everything to stop the dodgy shops etc.

The fact is the huge majority is used to buy bikes, maybe not for cycling to work but to cycle.

It's an excellent scheme and worth the investment. With our weight issue the more we can get to cycle even if just at weekend the better

Advertisement