Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PV Feed In Tariff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Those rates are subject to a 26% discount after. Not sure there is a better rate but perhaps I missed it. I check with bonkers and switcher regularly but not the individual companies.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I saw an offer earlier in Curry's from SSE for a €300 one4all voucher when you sign up. Unfortunately I didn't get a good look at the terms and conditions

I wonder what the cancellation policy on that is like. I imagine they wouldn't let you cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and keep the card

So you'd probably be stuck with the CRU supplier switch limit, which is like 6 weeks or something as I recall

So if you switched away from SSE you'd be liable for the €50 cancellation fee, plus however much extra you'd pay over the cheapest plan

But even if it cost you €100 extra all told, you'd still be up €200 overall with the gift card

Something to think about...

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So Energia are telling me that they DO NOT fix unit prices for the duration, only the discount % like the others do.

I've seen a few people here and on Facebook say that Energia have fixed their rate, and they have this in writing.

Has something changed? Are Energia making sure they don't get stuck with a load of people on cheap rates while the market explodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I was always told the same, discount stays the same but the price can vary because the unit cost increases

I'm on a fixed unit rate. Unkel for one was/or is too. Many more in here are/were also.

I have no idea have their terms and conditions changed since I started my year contract in January.

From confirmation email

"For customers on Fixed contracts, unit rates will remain fixed for the duration of your contract from the date that Energia is listed as your supplier. Standing charges may vary. After one year you will revert to Energia standard rates"

Just did the sums and I'm still paying the same unit price I was in January.

21.26c day rate excl VAT

6.12c night rate excl VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I just signed up to their d/n EV tariff at the start of August so I have no idea if it's fixed at 27/8c

When I talked to them over the phone they said it was NOT fixed so 🤷‍♂️

Your confirmation email should say if it is or not

Just checked and I don't see a reference to fixed unit rates in their T&Cs anymore. Maybe that ship has sailed..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

I have had an Energia account since 2021 with D/N meter.

In 2021/2, the then EV plan was a FIXED UNIT price. In 2022, it became a FIXED DISCOUNT rate.

I ended up taking the "Home Electric" account with fixed 41% discount (now reduced to 27% for new accounts) and €140 welcome credit in April 2022 which beat the EV plan in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Says fixed in the welcome email (% discounts are wrong as they only apply the extra 4% once you set up the online account)

So maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭jkforde

fyi.. from Energia retention team..

---

Thank you for your enquiry. As of yet we have no price increases on the horizon , as you are aware with the current market these may change but we have no information to clarify any increases.

Sales & Retention Team

---

how far is their 'horizon' I wonder!? 🤔

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Bingo...

It's only for day/night meters and only for the EV plan I believe.

Same email as I had.

It's say fixed unit prices, so you might be quids in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

I don't suppose any companies will revise their FIT in the light of the massive price increases. It may have factored in to the slightly higher rates by some of the late comers.. Thinking out loud, domestic solar pv is still a very small part of the customer base for these companies.

From a regulatory perspective, a minimum % of the current unit rate would have been far more decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

True, or link it to the average wholesale price of electricity for the last 30 days - although that could be problematic for suppliers to implement into their billing systems. Ideally have a common rate across all the suppliers. As a developer myself, it wouldn't have been too hard - but considering the lax blase-faire attitude that we've seen from the suppliers in even announcing the FIT pricing (it was supposed to originally happen in July 2021) I'm happy that we have "something" done at this stage as it's been coming since 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

As far as i can see there are no companies out niw offering fixed tarrifs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Switched back from SSE Airtricity to Energia EV plan, will have to pay the €50 penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Energia EV tariff.

Good man.

I also suggested this to family, my dad just got solar installed and he found out he had a backwards running (ie net metering) meter so he's defending that one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What is the story with Energia EV tariff. Surely a massive loss leader for them at this stage?

Have they hedged that far in advance that they can offer the fixed tariff? Or is there some sort of green agenda (green mortgage rate etc) that it suits them to offer this tariff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I've been noticing the discount reducing on the standard tariff for a while now, but no change on the ev tariff.

When it does change (for new customers/renewals) it changes silently.

Eg from the 14c/4c to 20/5 and now the 27/8, I think there was a step in-between too. Discount stays at 31%

I'm pretty sure the terms changed around March, I was up for renewal in May and nothing I could then find said the rate was fixed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Both emails in Aug 2021 and Aug 2022 are the same as this.

This is what I got when I signed up to energias normal day night in 2020

I actually got a 36% discount not 15.. was later clarified in a later email

Someone got a fixed unit rate this week. A few posts above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Their fixed rate is only for DN meters, very annoying.

So Im with Energia, based on the number I am supposed to be getting a 41% discount but my rate is 0.39c day rate and 0.19c night.

Based on that moving to the EV plan is a no brainer or am I missing something?

woah, possibly you're being overcharged, I'm on their 41% plan as well but on Day 23.46 and Night 11.25 incl. VAT.

but will be moving to their EV D\N plan soon to get the 8c night rate (fixed rate for 1 yr)

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Can you show me where i can see that rate ?

Anyone can apply for a D/N meter free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Been on the energia website and the rates are there for sure on the ev plan but I can’t see where it says the rates are fixed for 1 year.

they have fixed cost such as standing charge and pso but I can’t see where it says the unit cost is Definitely fixed.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Thanks

These are the renal rates I got before

Contract Renewal Details and Terms

Standard Unit Rate

Total Discount

Unit Rate after Discount

Description

Exc. VAT

Inc. VAT

%

Exc. VAT

Inc. VAT

kWh (Day)

€0.3081

€0.3497

40%

€0.1849

€0.2099

kWh (Night)

€0.1478

€0.1678

40%

€0.0887

€0.1007

kWh (Day)

price per unit over 3000kWh

€0.3415

€0.3876

40%

€0.2049

€0.2326

kWh (Night)

price per unit over 2000kWh

€0.1664

€0.1889

40%

€0.0998

€0.1133

They might have forgotten to apply your discount, they did the same to me with the first bill and then I had to email them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Was with Energia and switched to the EV plan at the start of the month. Have D/N meter and prices are fixed for the 12months.

yep, can confirm as well, just renewed to their EV plan and the D\N unit RATES are fixed for 1yr. also, no low usage surcharge on the standing charge (377.10 rural).

• Advertisement

Another Energia defector, just switched.

Well worth paying the exit fee. And confirmed again by Energia, rate (not just discounts) is fixed for the term.

Interesting question though, do SSE still pay me the deemed rate for the period I was with them?

would expect so since they were your provider when the legislation and the Feb. effective date came into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

Was looking at the Energia site, how in the hell is a smart meter plan 140 yoyos more expensive than a d/n plan.

Now it seems all the providers have price discrimination against smart meters except ei, they just get you on the standing charges

Well - as people know I'm a lazy sod when it comes to switching. Never did see the point of chasing a few cents here and there when one provider with the cheaper rates is offset with their higher standing charges or "joining bonuses" etc from another. If ever there was a segment of market which needed a bit of regulation to "cop on" ...... the pricing models they employ would get my vote.

That said, those Energia prices seem too good to be true. €0.079/cents a unit when you have a big'ish battery is a no-brainer. Really! It's seems wrong lads! I actually feel "dirty" for swapping (LOL) but like you Phil.....I'm gone from SSE -> Energia as of 10 mins ago.

I can't see them keeping it at €0.079/unit. I know .... I know, i read the thing too! Fixed for a year, but they have to be operating that at a loss if so as it's lower than the wholesale price of electricity!? Dunno.

As for will they (SSE) pay me what they owe me for the "estimated export" , I would assume so as they are contracted to, but even if they didn't....the swap will more than make up for it in 2-3 months.

SSE replied to me on twitter, confirmed that they will pay as planned for the period that I was with them, so 14c at deemed rate from Feb to today.

Then Energia for 18c at deemed rate going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Thank you to everyone for the comments on the detailed pricing on Energia EV plan and that it is a FIXED UNIT price for 12 months. I have just managed to switch from my existing Energia plan to the EV plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

Time to move before my cooling off period ends and jump out of the SSE Smart plan to this magical EV plan (even though I don't own a EV or have a zappi!)

the Energia EV plan is only for Day\Night meters afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I've just moved over to Energia too. Thanks all. First move in nearly three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

Yeah realised that again soon after posting.

Still looking at switching to their normal home/smart plan. After looking at SSE's price hike happening soon, here's the before and after of their day, night, peak rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why do some people not move at least every year? When the discount is finished you will pay at least €400-500 more for an average household. For just about 10 minutes of work. Seriously? I'd rather keep that myself than give to a utility company making billions of profit.

Laziness mate .... least it was for me. That and the fact that the last time when I moved they screwed up the account shutdown when I moved out of the old place I lived in and for weeks in my new property I was getting threatening letters that I hadn't paid up (which I had). Literally a f'ing ball ache to get sorted and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Well that's my history of it anyway but SSE has been one of the better places over the last 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

My current 24 hour duel fuel plan with Energia is up in a few weeks so looking for alternative options. I currently have a smart meter so the option to swap out for day/night is out of the question as I will be utilizing the FIT.

The best rate I can see for my system (7.2KW panels and 10KW batteries) appears to be the EV plan from Bord Gais. The standing charge for electricity is on the very high side €418 per year but I use a lot of gas in winter for heating and should be able to avoid peak electricity rates by filing the batteries on the 6c EV rate between 2am and 5am.

Is anyone else on this rate or have any thoughts?

Just bear in mind that you have only 3 hrs to grab as much as you can for your batteries. (2am-5am), Will you be able to fill it in that time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Hey BD that's what I do not know so was hoping for other posters experience before thinking about switching. They are 2 X 5KW Puredrive batteries. I think in theory 3 hours should be plenty to fill them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement