Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorbachev passes away aged 91

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He tore down that wall alright. RIP

It will be interesting how his death is treated in Russia in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

A good man with morals. The difference between him and the utter prick in charge now is immeasurable.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Shoog

Best acid I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He put his pride aside and allowed the dissolution of the Union without a war. A Soviet Civil War would have been catastrophic. Nuclear arms dotted all over the place would have fallen into evil hands due to the chaos.

Not respected at all in Russia but respected outside of it. I doubt he'll get much of a tribute from the Kremlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RIP. A visionary.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

RIP Mr Gorbachev.

His legacy was destroyed by the curse of alcoholism.

Yeltsin, God bless him, was barely fit to walk, never mind bring together a fractured soviet union. That was a pivotal issue that brought in the mafia state and the current dictator.

If only someone else had stepped up the entire world would be a different place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Remember the time he wouldnt get off the plane in Shannon to see Albert Reynolds. LOL. A legend.

Yeltsin couldn't get off the plane.

He was pissed out of his head.

But, yeah, a great lad for the vodka.

A pity it led to the disaster that Russia is now.

Imagine how different it could have been.

Fuck vodka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A huge figure in 20th Century figure. History will judge him kindly I hope. He did the best he could under difficult circumstances. RIP Mr. G

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A brave man - he had the wisdom to recognise that something his country had dedicated itself to for decades just wasn't working, and the courage to act on that knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

One of the truly great leaders of the 20th century

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

RIP. Historically, the transition of power in Russia from one leader to another was fraught, especially if it entails a new system of ruling. That the USSR/successor states did not utterly implode as fallen empires are want was a credit to Mr Gorbachev.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He was still alive?

All the Putin bots coming out of their shells tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There's many a person who owes there freedom to this man.

A remarkable person who left their mark on history for the better. Which I think will be kind to him.

It's a shame he got shafted and then the collapse.

RIP

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 26,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yeltsin didnt try to keep the USSR together he took Russia out of it in a power grab

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

RIP. he played a large role in the dissolution of the soviet union, the fall of the berlin wall and the end of the cold war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

did a great job with chernobyl

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

the russians of the 1990s also owe him the poverty and food shortages . It's easy to say he was a great man (tbh he had an impact) when looking at it from a singular western view with constant hype jobs in our media (who are biased)

The russians - his own people have a mixed view.

He was great for us maybe less great for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Can you elaborate your point?

Which Putin bots? Are the Putin bots on this thread, or on the internet in general? are they pro or anti-Gorbachev, or talking about something else?

Gorbachev was a brave man. Others saw they need to reform Soviet Communism, but weren't brave enough to admit mistakes had been made, and try and do something. it was easier to keep ploughing the same furrow,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Gorbachev is only viewed as a good leader in the west because his mistakes led to what the West wanted. It would be like Irish people thinking Boris is a good leader if he fucked up and led NI to reunifying with the rest of Ireland.

Gorbachev fcuked up, he didn't want to dissolve the USSR.

Of course he's adored by the west when the west didn't suffer any losses. Adoring Gorbachev would be like adoring Joey Fritzl for releasing his child prisoners claiming he gave them freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

Remember the pizza hut ad?

Last giant of the 20th century

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gorbachev gave the Russian people and other Soviet citizens in other countries what they wanted, their own independent governance.

The Russian people chose Yeltsin to lead them, and he did so, very poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I wonder was this ad the inspiration for Bertie Ahern drinking tea in the hot press in the Newes-a-de-Wordelt advert a few years back?

(I'm sure he was searching frantically for that sock with all his dodgy money in between sips)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭techman1

I think Gorbachev death has come at a very bad time for putin because Gorbachev recognised that the Soviets could not win against the West and could not hold onto an unwilling eastern Europe. Therefore they had to open up and allow self determination.

This contrast is being illuminated at the worst possible time for putin just as his war is grinding into the dirt and ukraine is mounting a counter attack with advanced western weapons.

Gorbachev will have the last laugh as putin tough man legacy evaporates into thin air and putin will be overthrown. Gorbachev will now rightly be seen as enlightened while putin will be seen as a kgb thug

Advertisement