Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

That's true, but that has nothing to do with your obsession over this particular topic. It's sad.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just because there is more quantity, does not mean there is more quality :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Look, I think we all understand what you are saying - whether it is right or wrong. The country is heading for a recession, lean times for many etc etc

Admirable.

However from a purely selfish rationale I have to look out for my own situation. I am in a technical role in the Public Service, the pay and conditions are no doubt better for what I do in the private sector but it is lean times that make the public sector more desireable (generally) - however, we've all seen that in lean times the public sector take pay cuts, increased hours and generally worse terms and conditions than they do in good.

If this happens as you expect next year, I and by extent my family will be far worse off than they are now. We are hurtling towards this inevitibility according to you and many others, which I don't disagree with.

Me turning down 6.5 percent or whatever it is now because "the country can't afford to pay it" makes absolutely zero sense when you think about it, if we are heading for this inevitibility anyway.........

It just means that when eventually things go to pot, the income loss MIGHT not be felt as hard!

Don't get me wrong, there are many people worse off than myself and when/if things go bad that'll be the same however to expect me or indeed people like me to turn down increased terms and conditions when they are going is just plain fantasy.

You wouldn't do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

They better give 6.5% increase to the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yeah good luck with that Kippy we have had a few ding dongs over the last couple of years but I have been ridiculed on here for pointing out what is about to happen and have now made it a point to put up anything that may gently nudge some of your fellow Public sector employees head out of the sand with regards to the upcoming global recession.

I really don't think there's anybodys head in the sand - a lot of these issues are simply outside of the "something you can control" aspect of life and as such need to be looked on as such in the way I have outlined it above. You really gotta look out for yourself in things like this.

Just say you do get a few PS workers to "get their head out of the sand" - what do you expect them to do? Hand back money willingly?

Again, you wouldn't do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,467 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks for that.

It's actually a good better than I thought it was earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

no but the shite going on in here you would think the good times where hear to stay.

This is an anonymous online forum lad. You'd be well minded to remember than when engaging with anyone here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

No I don’t see that mentioned as part of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Well your private sector buddy Saloonfire seems to think so. He has secured a much higher pay increase. His employer doesn't seem to think there is a recession on the horizon !

seems like this will pass fairly handily based on prevailing sentiment.

i think if the govt doesnt deliver on the cost of living aspects expected in the budget that it might set the tone somewhat differently however.

i can see why many would take the offer that's going, the govt certainly would be in no rush to go back to the table and bread today is always better than bread tomorrow- but the worth of the euro in your pocket will be a long way short of 8% down by the time this deal expires and for me the gap i expect to see in real spending over this deal is just too much to make it worth supporting, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭KerryM9

Hours already reduced from 37 to 35, what hours are you referring to here? Curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The exhaustion is compensated by the opportunities for crass schoolyard boasting to boost his low self esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

This has prob been answered but I’m lost in the thread.

Is the 1% this Oct 1st still happening or just the backdating to Feb?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭salonfire

The thought of anyone doing better than you or getting one up over you just eats you up inside. We saw this during Covid and WFH where you thought employers were stealing the minuscule amount of electricity to power your laptop while WFH by not reimbursing you your costs. You went on a one-man cursade about seeking costs from employers for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Strider84

That's a separate agreement, so yes that's being implemented from October 1st. The 3% will be on top of that.

Unions are planning to meet Oct 7th for counting the ballots so it'll be a bit longer for the 3% to kick in if ratified.

TBH many employers shirked their responsibilities, during COVID.

Ergonomics went out the window. People spent 2 years at kitchen tables

It also costs some people more to stay home and heat/power the house than office but I think the government should have mandated the tax rebate at point of pay, rather than optionally and forcing people to navigate a time consuming tax claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

So,

Right now my pockets are empty.....

Accept 6.5% offer and my pockets will still be empty

Will I ever get to a point where I'll have money in my pockets?

• Advertisement

I think it's sounds good on paper but if you actually compare the pay increase to the cost of living increases across the board, then it is not a great deal.

Ultimately, workers will foot the bill for the extortionate price of living at the moment.

So sad to think of how many businesses will go to the wall in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

The rule is there for a reason. A newly recruited CO has near zero experience in the CS in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

It also doesn't apply to open competitions. Plenty of people get on panels within 2 years that way - if they're good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Go on strike ah yeah that'll be great craic all that'll achieve is saving the government a day's pay strike pay won't cover many bills. European economies and indeed neo liberal capitialism itself is heading down the toilet and the unions have managed to secure a locked in pay rise this is a victory for the trade union movement and we need to grab this deal with both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I'm just surprised it is not written in crayon. Imagine complaining that public sector unions haven't secured a deal to help private sector business it is hard to fathom such idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

This thread is a good capture of the various views on the pay issue/state of economy and how personal people take their views, I wouldn't have the patience to hammer out a deal like this so fair play to them. Already you can see here the general tea time discussions are warm to the deal, life still has to be lived. Could we get a better deal with threat of strike/carry out strike, yeah maybe but is worth the hassle? Good enough is good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Well in my department I see 4 new entrants CO's that started in around the same time as me.

3 of them have over 10 years experience with some form of education, 1 has a degree and 5 year experience.

Do you mean CS experience? Because 1 year of that should be enough to try move up.

It's nothing but a mechanism to keep CO's in roles longer and keep wages slightly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

The quality of some of the newly entered CO's, EOs and even HEO's I have seen is absolutely shocking in some cases. Can't write reports, analyse data or understand national plans / policies. Alot of them need alot of training and 1 year of that is nowhere near enough.

Nothing to do with keeping staff "down" , most places are only happy to train , develop their teams to give them relevant experience to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Spoke to HR and finally got some clarity. Last February's 1% will be paid in the next 2 to 4 weeks. If a yes vote, 3% backdated to February, plus another 1% in October. So that's 5% in total of an increase coming in the next couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You should have already received Feb 2022 1%

I think most departmens got it towards the end of Feb/early March.

Advertisement