Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I had a car approach me from behind yesterday evening on the inbound lane, starting beeping like mad to get me out of the way and then would speed towards me and brake last minute. When he came alongside me he was going crazy, fućking and blinding at me, as was his wife, all while their kids were in the back. But he seemed like the kind of person who doesn't usually obey traffic laws anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They have removed some of those plastic stick bollards things separating inward and outward on the stretch opposite the park. Had a trouser-changing moment this morning when some taxi driver who didn't realise/care it was only one lane inward/bus lane decided to overtake a cyclist and veer into the outbound lane. Of course lots of beeping as if it was somehow my fault he had crossed into my lane. So many nutters on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Some people just like their cars, and are prepared to sit in the traffic. 100% not for me at all.

In terms of the percentage I'd say its extremely low

I think people drive their kids to school and then instead of heading home and getting PT it's more convenient to just drive in (even if it's a bit slower)

Even taking that aside, the amount of cars that just have 1 person in them is very high, it's insanely inefficient.

But Definitely next week is when the Poop hits the spinny thing.

I walked to Clontarf Rd train station today, traffic was very heavy up the coast road. The filter lanes on to and off the Alfie Byrne road have been removed permanently, so that's really slowed things up to. To add the cycle lane they have built approaching the bridge does not seem wide enough to me. (Unless there is gonna be a cycle lane on the other side of the road.)

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

People are already commenting that it might not be wide enough. It's 1.7m wide it seems. Lots of service manholes located on the cycle path too, which isn't a good idea in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Regarding the "closure of the inbound rail bridge arch" . . . . . . . I've just been told it's "not" going ahead now. Although they might do it in the future. It really seems that they are making it up as they go along.

• Advertisement

Maybe they thought it would be too much disruption, and can manage it a different way. Would you rather they just ploughed on regardless, and didn't make things easier for motorists if the possibility was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Is it just me or are the motorists illegally using the bus lane inbound unusually patient! Was shocked with the lack of overtaking attempts and other dangerous maneuvers this week.

Disappointing not to see any enforcement again today. I'd say if they don't do it when the schools go back it'll be a joke/more of a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could somebody interpret this diagram regarding this coming weekend at the Clontarf Road/Alfie Byrne junction please?

These works will run from 7.30pm on Friday 26th August to 8pm on Sunday 28th August.

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/2022-08/c22001_00_040a-rev00-c2cc_section-7_phase-1d-enabling-works-sg-system.pdf

Does it mean there is no right turn onto Alfie Byrne? I can't make head nor tail of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The junction will be operated using physically manned stop/go signs and retreated stop lines.

Traffic will be held back to where the stop/go signs are and will operate between them one way at a time.

Yes, you will be able to turn right there, but I’d expect significant delays

• Advertisement

Me and all the trucks.

Anywhere 'Road Control' are with their lollipops has horrendous delays. I ran in to them up at Artaine Castle roundabout late the other night. It's as if they are on a timer and nobody has the wit when nothing is coming the other way to let traffic through.

i wouldn't drive anywhere near there this weekend, and I live right beside it. There's other ways around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cycled into the city through Fairview this morning to see how bad it was with "school" traffic.

What an absolute disgrace!

Vehicles breaking the lights in every direction at the end of the Howth Road.

Vehicles blocking the yellow box at the end of the Howth Road.

Vehicles breaking the lights in every direction at the end of the Malahide Road.

Vehicles blocking the yellow box at the end of the Malahide Road.

Drivers on their phones (I waved at one driver to put her phone down and she dropped it instantly).

Not a Garda in sight.

A young lady in her 20s wearing a hi-viz standing at the junction at Edges Corner to possibly deter traffic from veering left. None of her male colleagues or any Garda bothered to do it.

Several cars travelling in through North Strand.

Yeah, with drivers behaving like that they are all welcome to their gridlock. No sympathy for them at all.

Gridlocked back to Killester Village. I got in for 9 on the bike, there's going to be a lot of late arrivals to school and office today, they're probably in Ballybough as we speak.

Too many drivers forget that driving is a privilege. And many need that privilege removed for a few weeks to remind them.

The Gardai have annoyed me most. Too busy up in Clontarf Station to go down and show some presence and enforcement. No bother showing up to St Annes Park during Covid lockdowns though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Had reason to cycle through inchicore village this morning. Absolute chaos, bus lane was ignored and used as free parking and then used as a left turning lane closer to the village. Vehicles parked facing the wrong direction on a wide curved road with no visibility, everyone beeping at eachother. The left turn ban on sarsfield Road thoroughly ignored. Its definitely business as usual. Feel sorry for the kids who will grow up looking at these scenes thinking just about any behaviour is acceptable if mommy is in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is there a worse "village" than Killester village? It is everything that is wrong with the carcentric city of Dublin. An absolute free for all on footpaths and absolutely zero public realm. I've never even heard of anything being done to improve it but you know they'd go mental if any positive changes were proposed.

Also the Supervalu has the worst bike parking facilities I've ever seen.

It was temporarily improved when the Beachcomber had outdoor tables during the pandemic. Granted it wasn't like sitting on Clontarf seafront but being sat out with a pint and a burger was enjoyable. That space is a car park once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And the corner outside the washing machine repair place is a free for all for parking, and cars drive along the footpaths and park on them on both sides. It's amazing it has gone on for so long.

It's mental. As I turned (at a red light) into my street this morning (having done the big detour) , not one but two lunatics on bicycles broke the lights. I jammed on the brakes and they flew either side of me. By Christ if one of them hits me some day doing the same it better not affect my insurance.

• Advertisement

Supervalu also has a shockingly designed car park.

The island at the junction with collins Ave could do with some planting. Similar to what they did beside busaras.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭halfpastneverr

I counted 6 cars parked half on footpath on double yellows outside the oblates this morning, most of them facing into traffic as well. Another car parked just before those useless plastic bollards opposite Tesco, meaning our bus (heading staight towards Kilmainham/Con Colbet Road) had to wait for the long line of traffic turning right onto Emmet Road before being able to head straight as no room to pass the parked car partially blocking the lefthand lane. A Quashqai then parked in the bus stop outside the school before the left onto Sarsfield Road as well. That stop is incidentally used by elderly folks in the main as well in my experience. F*eck them I suppose, Little Sorcha must be dropped directly to the school gates at all costs on a bright and sunny morning!

Inchicore is a joke.

Parents driving their kids to school are just ridiculously selfish

Well as all the cyclists are giving opinions on car drivers . . . . . here is my opinion (of them). I drove in through Fairview at 10.30 this morning on my motorbike. Only one of several cyclists stopped at red lights, most continued on and around pedestrians crossing the road. I watched one chap break five red lights (he was actually quicker than me on my bike as I stopped at red lights) and he finally stopped at IFSC / Quays lights due to traffic. Nuts, absolute nuts. Someone will get injured (pedestrian or cyclist) and we will read about it in the media. I did not witness one car drive through red lights.

Oh by the way, I went in through Nth Strand and as expected there was no enforcement.

Self righteous cyclists now proclaiming that they saw several cars drive through red lights may post below. 🚲️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The Gardai are so useless at enforcing anything on the roads (and most things in general). It's a complete joke how just generally absent they are.

There is a "difference of opinion" between DCC & Garda management presently so enforcement is light touch.

We know there's cyclists breaking red lights, nobody is saying that they aren't. I went through one this morning because the build up of traffic in a yellow box was so ridiculous I didn't feel safe so passed it while it was safe to do so.

While I'm at it I'll comment on the motorcyclist in Killester who felt he could use the cycle lane to undercut the traffic, and put me at risk overtaking me on my bike in a bloody cycle lane.

I actually didn't see any vehicles breaking red lights this morning through Fairview, because they weren't driving. Most vehicles were stationary and may aswell have been parked. Good luck to them if they want to sit in traffic all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I regularly see cars run through red lights, perhaps cyclists do it more often, not sure. As for the claim that cyclists doing so is dangerous, well yes but last I checked car drivers achieved a whopping 136 kills on the road last year and cyclists got 0 so I'd say we're a long way off Dutch cities we're fast cyclists are the No. 1 Road safety concern. Let's deal with the real threat first and the imaginary one later.

• Advertisement

When you say that you didn't witness a single car break the lights, you lose all credibility for the rest of your story.

Advertisement