Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He was in trouble at one point of the fight so hardly very easy ,

I happened to chat to our very own Thomas Carty on Saturday night, he spent last month over with AJ sparring,

Hopefully one day we have someone like him to talk about on this thread ,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

One punch. Split second, regained composure and won pretty much every minute of the fight and then knocked out Whyte. Very easily!!!

Had Whyte landed a heavy shot and wobbled Fury, it wouldn’t change the fact that Fury won easily!!!

Surely being wobbled means its been at least some what difficult by default .,

Ah come on. You’re being pedantic here. 18-20 minutes the fight was.

A split second he got caught very cleanly and was wobbled. Within a few seconds he was fighting back and composed. He won pretty much every round and then knocked Whyte out. It was a very clear cut win.

Easy enough dominant win!

For example: Mayweather was stunned/wobbled twice in rd 2 v Mosley. Apart from those few seconds, Floyd won the fight easily enough. Clear/cut winner. Easy winner

• Advertisement

It was what 4 rounds to 2 and he was wobbled, Personally i don't count that as very easy,

Very easy is in cruise control dictating a fight & under no danger, .

Of ocurse its subjective but i just don't think AJ made it look like it was a "very easy" fight ,

I had it 5-1 I think. Ok, very easy might be a stretch. But quite a clear/comfortable win from bell 1 to the end. And definitely a better version Whyte that night. Whyte looked atrocious vs. Fury, even when Fury was doing nothing.

anyway, Whyte is just not that good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Whyte did rock Aj and he shook it off fairly quickly, everyone I speak to says it was a close fight but Whyte didn’t do enough to trouble Aj in my opinion

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Lads Whyte was always an absolute also ran, pure donkey with poor discipline who even when he did turn up in decent shape (for him) he was still rubbish. His best win was Parker but he got that through fouling (elbows and a headbutt knockdown) and Parker being too nice. Even at that; Parker almost had him gone the first time he attacked (in the 12th).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Against Whyte, AJ won the round well - threw a shot after round one that caused a bit of carnage.

Whyte hurt AJ in the second round. Had him staggering - but couldn't finish.

3rd was even. 4th was a big round for AJ. Staggered Whyte more than once.

Both men had success in the 5th and 6th - but AJ landed the cleaner shots.

In the 7th - AJ drops Whyte twice - game over uppercut the second time.

Whyte was world number 1 for years and never got a rematch. He should have got it. Definitely an improved fight.

Whyte is good but not Fury good. He won 11 fights after that loss to AJ.

• Advertisement

Whyte was offered a rematch and he said it wasn’t enough money

Making a derogatroy offer is one way of avoiding making a fight.

“There’s been the first offer, but it’s utterly ridiculous, it’s way less than what I made to fight Chisora,” Whyte told talkSPORT.

“It is a ridiculous offer, they’re not serious about the fight. It’s ridiculous, the offer comes with other options as well. It’s silly; I’m a pay per view fighter, I’ve built myself up. It’s not like I’m a journeyman, I worked my way up to No 1 with two governing bodies.

"He needs to take that into consideration. I bring more to the table than even Joseph Parker did, and he was a world champion.

“I don’t think he wants the fight, there are easier paydays out there for him and he knows I’ll bring problems to his Mum’s house.

“It is a childish offer, if you want to fight, you make a proper offer, you know what I bring to the table. Me, Tyson Fury and Wilder, you can’t sell out Wembley with anybody else. It looks like Tyson Fury will fight Deontay Wilder (again), so he needs to stop messing about.

“It’s an easy fight to make. I have the rankings, we have history, everybody knows it will be a good fight. Nobody will complain about the fight."

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

Whyte was not world number 1, he was WBC number 1 contender. He narrowly beat Oscar Rivas to get that. Oscar Rivas.

If he was serious about winning titles he would have accepted the offer rather than fighting lower ranked fighters for less money and going nowhere

WBC? Would that be a world ranking body?

I'd venture to say his ranking is not that far off Joshua. Fight makes sense.

Whyte is Shyte, always has been. The fact is there are 3 or 4 good heavyweights and everyone else is terrible. Whyte is in that 5-20 Bracket with Michael Hunter, helenius, Chisora and Hughie Fury amongst others. That’s always been his level.

Wouldn't agree with that. It's an overly negative perspective.

A man who has dedicated his life to combat sports. A top kickboxer before becoming a boxer is terrible at what he does - even though he's a millionaire, top-end fighter at an elite level... riiiiiiiiiight...

Going nowhere? 😂😂

He did the right thing. He knew his worth. And got paid against Fury. Going nowhere... where are you going? Have you fought Fury, Joshua, Parker, Chisora, or Povetkin? And if someone is good enough to get in a ring with them, they're shite if they lose? Regardless of whether they lost or not?

Only people who have belts are good, are they? 🤣 Jesus wept. 🤣 Whyte has had a very good career.

where am i going ? are you a child or what , this is a discussion forum for heavyweight boxing not a place to have digs at each other

why did he turn down aj then and moan about the money, aj had all the belts and gets the lions share of the purse, given the fact whyte was moaning to ifltv everyday that he has been waiting 10k days for his title shot?

yes whyte has gone in against parker and got very lucky in that fight, fury fight he didnt even land a decent punch and chisora is about his level it was a pure slug fest

i am a fan of whyte but his career didnt take off the way it could have, he is entertaining to watch in interviews and fighting but if he was serious about being a champion he would have fought aj when he had the chance.

look at the way he carried on with the fury fight, he wanted more money and refused to do media work and also sued the wbc, how many promoters will swerve him after that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

AJ didn't have all the belts for the Whyte fight so I don't blame Whyte turning down the rematch if he wasn't getting paid.

Whyte was always going to look bad against Fury as Fury is different gravy but he's had a very good career and still a live contender. If he fought AJ today I'd make him slight underdog 60/40 AJ

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

the rematch was proposed by aj and hearn in 2019 with an offer over 4m but whyte said it was not enough and called it chump change or something like that and then went to America to try and sign with a promoter there but he didnt close a deal and came back

I quite liked Whyte in the period after he lost to AJ. He was improving a lot and had some really good wins in that period.

But he has been very poor since the PEDs scandal. Struggled with Wach. Silly to get KOd by Povetkin. Offered nothing against Fury.

I do hope the pressure is off now for the likes of AJ, Wilder and Whyte. They've nothing more to lose which could make some exciting fights.

Lets be fair and talk sense,

You have the big 4 , Fury, Wilder, AJ , Usyk

Then Whyte is in the bracket just under that Whyte, Ruiz, Joyce, King Kong ,

He is not top tier but he could beat anyone outside of that top 4 fighters ,

To call him shyte is just silly,

The big four need to fight each other. Yes, we have had fights, but we need AJ v Fury and Wilder and Fury v Usyk and Usyk v Wilder..

Wilder (I think and hope) still has something to offer.

I really couldn’t care if I see none the rest fight. Although, I do like Joyce and his style. As in he comes to fight!!

They are prize fighters - it's about money. He has every right to make sure he gets paid.

He was number 1 in a few bodies for a few years. It was agreed by many commentators that he was treated badly avoided. People will serve him alright - but he was shafted when he was on his streak of wins. And he did have a streak of wins after losing to AJ.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

I didn’t say that lol

you’ve lost the plot, what you are typing here doesn’t make sense

try reading the thread and quoting the correct person

Tagging the wrong person is hardly losing the plot.

Boxing is a dirty, garbage can of a business. People get messed around and cheated all the time.

Like it or lump it, Whyte is a top fighter. No point in arguing otherwise. Whyte deserved a shot at a world title when he was on his streak. He deserved the Wilder fight and the AJ rematch. He took on Fury when AJ (and Hearn) was running from Fury.

The reason Whyte turned down the AJ fight was because Fury was offered four times more. Now, being offered half of what Fury was offered to fight AJ would be one thing, but 25% of what Fury was offered? That's tough to accept. Hearn & Whyte's relationship has always been up and down like a yoyo.

I'd love to see Whyte fight Wilder.

AJ was never running from Fury..

• Advertisement

I’ve always said that about Whyte going back years. When I first saw Joyce make his debut I said that he would beat Whyte right then, Just on chin and Stamina alone. I put Whyte below those guys you mention in the category with Chisora and Helenius etc. I think Otto Wallin for example beats him most times.

Advertisement