Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hamann wants the club to make Newcastle an offer they can’t refuse for Joelinton.

I think Hamann needs to lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Im sorry i disagree. Haaland and Sancho, 2 players who have left the club Bellingham is playing for leave to go to top English clubs... that is the exact metric Bellinghams agent should use to negotiate his future wages.

I dont underestimate the prestige of playing for Klopp, but if he is offered 50k a week extra, or more....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

The injuries to midfield are not a surprise. If they looked at the injury record over the past few seasons they'll know thay Keita and Ox can never be relied upon to stay fit for an extended period. Thiago also picks up knocks too.

Also, injuries have a compounding affect. When Keita, Ox and Thiago get injured, the remaining players play more minutes that expected and have less rest that required, leading to more injuries. One signing would solve a lot of issues.

Keita isn’t injured is he?

He was just sick.

Last season out of the 63 games played he played in 40 of them he was injured for just 8 of them he was just down the peaking order

Ox played in 29 of the 63 and was out injured for none of the games he just wasn’t used.

Thiago played in 40 of the 63 games and he was injured for 20 of them.

He missed 3 games from Covid.

So even when fit Naby & Ox were just well behind Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Milner, Elliott in the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Did Klopp not say Keita injury is worse than first feared and is facing a spell on the sidelines...I may have confused that with someone else but fairly certain that was mentioned somewhere over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah think you are right,supposedly got injured right before the Utd game,was sick before that

It could be with so many out now it’s losing track of who’s got what.

Maybe it was an earlier game Naby missed with a sickness and then picked up something in training

I think Jota, Matip, Thaigo, Jones are all due back training after the game tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Douglas Luiz the latest name we are linked to

• Advertisement

Klopp is flip flopping a bit on this whole midfielder.

I honestly believe he is one who wants the right one and it’s easy to imply it’s the owners who are delaying the signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Don't know much about him but Villa fans seem pissed off at the thought of him leaving.

He has been linked with Atletico Madrid too

Give Gerrard, Phillips, Ox plus money and Jones on loan for Luiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

He'd be fired in seconds for that transfer. Sign a permanent injured player to help out your old club?

He’s going to be sacked in the next few weeks anyway more than likely.

Gerrard is toast. Thankfully his name won't be making an appearance when Klopp retires.

I was terrified even keeping Villa steady in the top half, coupled with the Rangers stint would have put him as one of the favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Quick Stevie do us a solid before you get the bullet...

Apparently he has only been out injured 7 times or something, no wonder we are looking at him, obviously being Brazilian helps with integration with the group...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I can't wait for when Klopp announces that Keita is facing a spell on the pitch.

A solid career in the treatment room blighted by occasional short periods of having to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Disagree with this. Klopp has generally played Keita when he has been available. I'd put him as our fourth choice midfielder, certainly ahead of Milner. Before signing Thiago Keita was in our first choice midfield three. Ox is sixth choice, agreed. He really should have been sold a long time ago but I guess he is difficult to offload due to his injury record.

Using Ox and Keita's injury records last season is a bit misleading - look at them both over the last three seasons. With Keita, he always takes a few games to get back into his stride after being injured. And generally he then gets injured again after a couple of good performances. That has been the pattern since we signed him, with last season being an anomaly. Ox has never been the same player since that season ending injury 3/4 years ago.

Just look at Keita's injury record: https://www.transfermarkt.com/naby-keita/verletzungen/spieler/302215

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's easy to point the finger at FSG, but Klopp is the person that was happy to tell the media in 2019 that there was money available to add to the squad but he was happy to just keep working with players that he had. In 2021 he didn't see the need to sign a replacement for Wijnaldum and got uppity with the media about it. Until there was a dose of reality on the pitch last week, there was no need for another midfielder. All of a sudden he was willing to admit he was wrong and the club were looking for a player. A sensational performance against relegation fodder and news that some players are expected to return to training and Klopp is again willing to take the risk of not signing a midfielder.

In my view, Klopp only wants to add very young players to create a group that will be together for an extended period of time after he leaves - that group will be his legacy. Young signings are a bigger risk and the only way to virtually guarantee that they will prove to be a success is to sign elite level players - Konate (21), Tchouameni (22) and Bellingham (19) certainly fit that profile.

In 2017, Julian Brandt (21) turned down the opportunity of signing for Liverpool. Klopp wanted to wait another year to try to sign him after the 2018 World Cup. Edwards and his analytics team had to persuade Klopp that Salah (25) was the player to sign. That was a massive change in approach to transfers with Klopp as manager - Salah was a player with experience that could deliver immediately and raised the level of the team from also-rans to potential challengers. In that transfer window, Dominic Solanke (19) and Andy Robertson (23) were the players signed before Salah, both young players with potential.

In 2016, an exciting young player, Ante Coric (19) came within hours of signing for the club. He was due to fly to Liverpool to complete his medical when he decided that he wanted to remain with Dinamo Zagreb because the opportunity to play in the Champions League for his home town club meant more to him. In a press conference at the end of the transfer window, a journalist asked Klopp whether he was happy with the club's transfer business that summer and cited Mario Gotze's decision to return to Dortmund instead of joining Klopp at Liverpool. Klopp said that he respected Gotze's decision and then proceeded to talk about his disappointment about not having the opportunity to work with an immensely talented young player, Ante Coric. From the way he spoke about Coric, he believed the player was destined for great things. It certainly seemed possible as he had made his debut appearance for Croatia just before Liverpool tried to sign him. In reality, Coric's career never took off, he signed for Roma in 2018 and has been farmed out on loan to clubs in Spain, The Netherlands, Slovenia and Switzerland since.

Since 2017/18, the club has only signed 7 players over the age of 24, only 3 were intended first team players.

• Alisson (25)
    • Xherdan Shaqiri (26)
    • Adrian (32)
    • Andy Lonergan (35)
    • Thiago (29)
    • Ben Davies (25)
    • Luis Diaz (25)

I don't think that signing players under the age of 25 is a strict policy of the club, the efforts that went on behind the scenes to get Salah suggest that it's Klopp who is in control. Klopp was also happy to continue with Karius after the 2018 Champions League Final until it was painfully obvious that he was damaged by the experience, that's when the move for Alisson was sanctioned. Ben Davies would not have been signed if Klopp hadn't been forced into getting defensive cover before the transfer window closed.

He has always taken the optimistic view and assumed that there will always be sufficient quality players available to keep the team functioning. When he spoke about being more willing to take risks with transfers I believe this is what he was talking about. His outlook is great for inspiring confidence in his group of players but he needs to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. I doubt the analytics people have been thinking that there is no need for another able body in midfield, but Klopp has and he has the ultimate say in transfers.

The takeaway from all of this is that the mythical right player Klopp will want to sign is no older than 24 but he would prefer them to be younger.

Luiz is quality and could not see Villa let him go at this stage in the window. Only issue is he almost a like for like with Fab positional wise so I don't know if he could play either side of him in a 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You have to take what Klopp says in public about transfers, performances, players, owners etc with a pinch of salt. He is not going to share all of his thoughts with the media. If he thinks the squad is not strong enough, he's not going to say that publicly.

Everyone at the club is too sensible for their own good.

Unless there are some massive rule set change in how clubs are funded and managed we are going to stagnate. It's not possible to continue this way and still be successful in my opinion. Perhaps things will change when Klopp goes and the stadium is finished but by that time it might be too late.

It's such a shame that at such a successful time at the club we aren't able to capitalise and set the club up for more success.

In fairness we have no cover for Fab,hendo goes back and plays there when Fab is injured or missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

My view on the midfield is that it is the one area we are weaker than City. Fabinho and Thiago (when available) are of an equal standard to the City mids but Hendo/Keita/Ox/Milner/Jones/Elliot are not and would not get significant mins for City.

We need a signing there who can improve us - not just be a body or a runner.

There doesn’t appear to be a long term future for Keita or Ox at the club- maybe it’s best for everyone that they are moved on and those squad places and wages are used more productively.

Brighton have Caicedo to replace Bissouma and Wolves have bought in Nunes - there are midfielders out there - it shouldn’t be Bellingham or bust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think Hendo is as important to our midfield as Fab or Thiago.

He's just being relied on too much when Milner or a young Elliott are put in beside him.

We should have those three, a fit Keita and another of equal standing imo and then the likes of Elliott and Carvalho (Jones to a lesser extent) don't look so bad.

As it stands we therefore need two given Ketia can't be relied upon for injury or (more recently) other unknown personal reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

You have to take what Klopp says in public about transfers, performances, players, owners etc with a pinch of salt.

That doesn't really leave much else related to the club. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I still remember the court cases in 2010 and almost losing the club to administration. I will take arguing amongst ourselves over owner financing than being put in that situation again. And sure, you could say all the owners need to do it supply some financing, but where does it stop? Once they do that and the masses will not be satisfied it will be to take a loan. Then it is to pay players X as much as he wants and before you know it you are selling future income to get out of a hole you created.

• Advertisement

The club's stability comes first of course but the club also needs to win trophies, which it has been doing. If the club wants to continue winning trophies then it needs to be competitive.

The club is worth a lot of money and is one of the biggest in the world, why we cannot flex a bit more and perhaps be a bit more ruthless is frustrating to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Would Barkley join Liverpool? Even just as an extra body to pad out the squad, give him a contract til the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I can see him going back to Everton, but he would add absolutely noting more to us than we have already. He's no better than Jones who is on his was back to fitness and no way I'd like to see Barkley getting game time ahead of younger talent in Elliot and Carvalho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Barkley? I'd rather sell our entire midfield.

He's finished, nearly 29, championship or MLS beckons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we were looking at total emergency options, i'd even take Saul Niguez on loan from Atleti over signing Barkley, even as underwhelming as Saul was with Chelsea last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kroos out of contract in summer, maybe bid for him, Madrid are in a selling mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Advertisement

It's a badge on honour to be in the Green, while still being successful, but it doesn't take much for that badge of honour to become a stick to beat FSG with when things are not going so well. United spend half a billion on players without a care in the world, while having massive debts. Chalk and Cheese approaches

Yea, he'd be welcome on a free though next summer. would be 33, still 3 years left at the top

Luiz is on the bench for Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Barkley is yet another shining example of how this Homegrown players rule is actually hurting English football rather than helping it as it was intended. It baffles me how nobody in power seems to be noticing this and that it hasnt been changed yet. Because of this home grown rule English players that are not good enough to start regularly for top 4 teams or title chasing teams end up at these teams anyway to make up the numbers of English players required in these teams. These players then don't play regularly and they stagnate instead of fulfilling their potential as they would have had they played week in week out for a slightly lesser team.

Barkley is merely the latest on this list of players that includes so many players at this stage. When someone in power finally realises this years down the line and changes it ye can all think back to this post and others I've made like it over the years...😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So unchanged but Matip and Jones on the bench which adds some needed depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Good to have Curtis and Joel back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Hopefully another 3 points on the board tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Isak

Out to impress on his debut, big TV game.........go'won lad, do a Darwin

• Advertisement
Advertisement