Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

Got to love the irony of people complaining about players missing big URC games when in the next breath they **** on the URC for not being able to prepare players for test rugby...which one is it? Or do these people just want to have a moan?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

We’ve had years of people complaining about Ireland making the same mistakes at the World Cup. Try something different and it’s being called either pointless or crapping on the URC.

This can be trying something different, positive for Ireland AND, for want of a better phrase, “crapping on the URC”. It can be all of those things.

See the problem with this argument? If the URC doesn’t prepare players for Test level, then playing against a lower calibre of player in a tour certainly isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I was referring there to posters who keep saying how big an Impact missing McCloskey for 3 games would have on Ulster. Which I think is completely overblown. If they are that reliant on one player, then it doesn’t say much about the state of Ulster rugby. That loosing one player would diminish their value as a team.

If as I believe will be the case, the frontline internationals aren’t available. Leinster could be missing nearly 30 players here. So it will probably affect Leinster to a larger degree than any other province. They will be away to Ulster, which they would probably lose one way or the other and have sent a weakened team for no matter what. Then have the Sharks at home. By that point I would expect the frontline internationals to be available as their pre-season will be completed. Which means if anything a stronger team than we would have otherwise put out.

The calibre of opposition isn't really relevant here because the main point of this tour would be young players get to be part of the environment and high calibre of coaching that there is in the Irish set up plus they get insight on the ropes what goes on at test level, for a young player this is invaluable and if one or two impress it might go a long way to getting them in with a shout of the Autumn squad.

In regards to the affect this will have on the URC people forget the likes of Porter to Doris, JGP to Keenan will all still be around...worst case scenario you can play these guys for afew rounds, plus its only 3. I think people are massively over exadurating how much impact this tour will have on the URC, if it was 5-6 rounds + maybe they would have a point but 2 or 3 nah.

• Advertisement

“In regards to the affect this will have on the URC people forget the likes of Porter to Doris, JGP to Keenan will all still be around”

I don’t think people are forgetting this at all tbh, and is part of the exact point they’re making; that some people are viewing this thru blue tinted specs.

I was referring there to posters who keep saying how big an Impact missing McCloskey for 3 games would have on Ulster. Which I think is completely overblown. If they are that reliant on one player, then it doesn’t say much about the state of Ulster rugby. That loosing one player would diminish their value as a team.

Some players are more important to a team than others; we saw what happened Ireland when Sexton got injured v NZ in the first Test.

But the larger point is that it won't just be one player; it'll affect some Provinces more than others, and in some cases a significant number are likely to be gone. For example, for Ulster it's not impossible that Hume, Stockdale, Baloucoune, Lowry, Doak, Timoney, O'Toole, O'Sullivan and Treadwell could all be gone, given the tier this seems to be geared towards.

Whatever way you cut it, there could be 30+ players (or 50+ if the frontline players are also out) taken out of domestic competition outside a Test window. That could be beneficial to Ireland. But I don't see how it's anything other than bad for the league, and impactful to the Provinces. Particularly when we saw how close run 2nd-6th was in the battle for Home QF's, SF's and Finals last season. And we saw how important that was in the end.

There will be an impact, of course there will. It sure as hell doesn’t strengthen any of the provinces. Only the results will tell us how big or small that impact is.

Take Ulster though as you used them as an example. If Lowry and Balocoune travel it’s unlikely Stockdale will too. Probably unlikely he would travel anyway after being out for so long. They could still have a back 3 of Stockdale, Lytlle and McIlroy. If Hume travels McCloskey won’t and they have Marshall there too along with several other fairly useful options. With Timoney gone, they still have Murphy there to cover. Doak is gone but Cooney is still there. Losing two props will affect any squad but I’m not sure EOS would travel. So yes there is an impact but to what extent only time will tell.

But I dont really see what point they are trying to make? They say it will harm the provinces but if the provinces still have their established players around will it really?

The point is that, for some provinces, their established players are prime candidates for the tour. So there's a high likelihood they'll be without a decent amount of them.

Essentially, I don't think the point your making is accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There is a chance that 1 or more province could get badly hit by this. I’d really hope that Farrell and the IRFU are looking to avoid that though. It would be very disappointing if the weren’t. The question really at this point is how badly will the provinces be hit and what is the overall benefit to the tour. If the price is low and there’s a tangible benefit then maybe it’s worth a shot. But the higher the price the less worthwhile the tour becomes. And at some point that price could become completely unacceptable. So far I don’t think Farrell has shown any signs of being “that guy” who screws over the provinces for the national side. So on that basis I’d be happy enough to wait and see how this pans out.

So in essence 1 province? Any players the others are losing are made up for by the established internationals they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Based on the speculated team from Sports Joe it would see Ulster losing all of their outside backs (Lowry, McIlroy, McCloskey, Hume, Baloucoune). It's absurd to say they can replace them with "established internationals". Munster similarly would lose 4 front rows, 2 backrows and 2 second rows, I'm not sure how deep you think the provinces are to just shrug off the loss of 8 forwards like that.

Also it probably completely derails Connacht's season given how difficult their opening fixtures are, they need all of their key players available.

I think the tour makes sense from a team Ireland and RWC perspective but it's absurd to say this won't be a significant challenge for most of the provinces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lets take Munster. They normally have 8 or 9 players called into the Ireland squad. If these players remain behind, but the next 8 or 9 senior players travel that leaves them with a lot of inexperienced players filling out the squad. Grand for Zebre, but not away to a Connacht team who won't have that many players called up.

Ulster would be in a similar position against a full (or close to full) strength Leinster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Ulster could put out a reasonably good backline with the above players missing:

9. John Cooney, 10. Billy Burns, 11. Ben Moxham, 12. Luke Marshall/Angus Curtis, 13. Stewart Moore, 14. Robert Lyttle, 15. Craig Gilroy; 21. David Shanahan/Michael McDonald, 22. Jake Flannery/Ian Madigan, 23. Aaron Sexton

Marshall, Curtis, Moore and Lyttle are quite injury-prone, though, so you can't count on them being available.

I think Aaron Sexton might have more international potential than McIlroy has. Just due to the latter's lack of pace.

I'd say the'll try to limit any province being hit too hard. Maybe something like if Baloucoune goes then Stockdale doesn't, and if Hume goes then McCloskey doesn't. Connacht have a tough run of games at the time and any players from them are more likely to be important players for them, so maybe Farrell won't select too many from Connacht.

If Hume is going, McClosky isn’t nor will McIlroy be going.

Nope; imo it's likely to significantly affect 1 province, and materially impact at least 1 other. (We'll see what squad is picked, but there was a refernce to the Maori selection I think). An unlucky run of injuries and some teams could be really stretched.

You're saying people are massively over-exaggerating the impact it's likely to have on the URC, but do you recall how close it was in the final 3 rounds for the knock-out qualification spots, and home advantage?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ultimately there is a reason they are doing this so early in the season. They know it is very disruptive to the clubs, but doing it now makes it seem less of an issue cause it's early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

If only there were 3 ultimately meaningless games this side of Christmas against actual quality opposition, against whom the players might actually learn something, that don't clash with the URC, where we could test fringe players and give them exposure without f*cking over the provinces...

I guess the IRFU are keen to secure the "Team of 2022" title. Then next year we can start building for 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I dunno - I don't think we really have any sense of who they're likely to take.

Hume was unlucky with injury, and I'd be shocked if he wasn't earmarked for RWC 2023, but he played in the Tests last summer, was in the Autumn International Squad and the Six Nations Squad. Does he need more exposure to the way Ireland operate? Someone above asked the same about O'Toole - and I thought it was a decent point. Treadwell was the only player to feature in all five games on the NZ tour after being in the last Six Nations squad. Does he need more time to get to grips with the Ireland systems?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can think of maybe 10 players who this could benefit (20 if we include players who will benefit from their absence) but I'll wait and see who they actually call up.

For example if Conan, Ruddock and/or Doris are available for Leinster then it makes sense for Deegan to travel.

Munster's back row could similarly cope with Kendellan away, I suppose. If ever Snyman comes back, Ahern should have free time and Healy could benefit as long as Carbery and Crowley are around.

Frawley should go now that Ngatai is with Leinster and Clarkson if Vakh is given game time, which would benefit them both. I don't think Milne or Boyle should be in the reckoning for international rugby any time soon so no real candidates there.

One or two Ulster backs could benefit directly and indirectly. Let Lowry go with McIlroy and Lyttle to cover the URC.

One of the Connacht locks, Thornbury or Murray maybe?

Not sure of the value of playing Currie Cup teams but there aren't a whole lot of options for opposition at that time of year.

The key word in that post is “speculated”. It’s a random SportsJoe journo effectively picking names out of a hat. It could well be miles off the actual squad.

I’d imagine opposition schedules are probably a bit more relevant to the timing than anything else.

Good points there. The only reasons to have those guys in there would be to develop something specific in their games or to develop/have a bit of leadership. And do they all need that? Doubtful.

In fact, if you look at the 23 from the first Māori game and remove anyone who has had decent time in camp already (but leave in guys who may have work ons or be in a position that we badly need depth) you’ve got:

Loughman, O’Toole, McCarthy, Prendergast, Frawley & JOB

Now throw in a few guys from the games last summer:

Ed Byrne, F Whycherly, Boyle, Blade, H Byrne, Shane Daly

There were also a few last summer who didn’t see game time:

Dooley, Molony and Tom Daly

If these are the kinds of guys that the squad is focusing on then it’s hard to see it have all that much impact on the provinces really. It just depends on who they pad the rest of the squad with.

I'm not sure, molloy, that's still just 15 players you've listed. There'll be another, what, 17 or so? Even if that is the level of player they're looking to bring, there's still going to be disruption for the provinces that's likely to have an impact.

Just from the 15 you mentioned, that'd be Prendergast, Boyle, Blade, Dooley and Tom Daly missing for Connacht. Throw in Murray and/or Thornbury and it starts to become pretty significant for them.

It’s strange that a lot of posters who constantly complain about players not getting minutes. Are the ones so vociferously opposed to this. Regardless of the opposition, playing as a team having to make real time decisions in match conditions. Is always going to be more valuable than a training camp.

I’d imagine a couple of those lads won’t be in the mix tbh. If Ed Byrne and Loughman go there probably won’t be a need for Dooley for example.

It will also be interesting to see if they bring any “senior” players. For example could Ruddock go in the same capacity as he did for Leinster in April? Someone will need to captain the squad after all.

It will also be interesting to see if any of the U20s go given that they only had a 3 game series as opposed to a World Cup this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Points won early in the season are as valuable as points won late in the season..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The solution to players in the wider squad having a lack of exposure to test rugby is not giving them minutes in fixtures that are of a lower standard than what they play week in, week out with their clubs.

It's as if people think that all we need to do is give these lads a match wearing a green jersey and that'll do the trick.

Its like a province sending a young player to play AIL for his club to prepare them for a Champions Cup game. Makes no real sense.

Advertisement