Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 16kWp Domestic System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

It's really a grey area for a lot of installers due to fear of the unknown. But it's totally fine once you don't export more than the amount on the NC6 form.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Well at least there's finally something on paper that's definitive: You can only drain your battery during a grid outage, you cannot charge it from the PV or run straight off the PV.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

What I don't understand is yes this stops the DC power from panels but a fireman entering the house could still encounter live AC circuits randomly in the house that are being powered from the battery? Is that not a safety concern also ?

It's really demonstrating the lack of critical thinking going on. The fire services still need to be able to get to either the changeover switch or the inverter itself to shut it off, who cares if the DC cable from the shunt to the inverter is still live? It's still live from the panels to the shunt!

A level headed guideline would be to insist changeover switches be placed/accessible outside the building where services can kill power from both sources without entering. But that would make too much sense 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Curious about this myself. The 6kW limit really annoys me. I will have 21kWh of storage and 8.2kWp of an initial array going in. The array is currently 100% S focused so I would be able to draw the full 8.2kW if it werent for silly limits. ( I know I'd need a second inverter as the current one is ~6kW). I have plenty of space on my roof for another 8 S facing panels to bring me to 10.5kWp south and then I would add some E/W in the future.

I looked at the NC7 application form and it's quite daunting, there's not a lot of info out there compared to NC6. How did you find the process, did you do it yourself or did you have a reci etc help

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you have a look here to see if it is even worth your while applying before handing over the €977?

Looks like theres a station right at my house. Makes sense as I'm the only house on the local transformer, or so the ESBn guy said to me when he was repairing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It costs €977 to fill out an NC7 form? 😮

I'd rather invest that in a battery or more panels than hand it over to the ESB to fatten their pensions even further

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can be more……

and where applicable, pay the associated capital contribution.

is rather open ended

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yes but when you have over 8kWp of panels and 21kWh of storage, adding a bigger inverter would be helpful. especially when you can add many more and look to cover winter usage. Having 16kWp for instance like the OP, but being limited to 6kW production would really annoy me.

Yes that's pretty standard for any networks update.

Post edited by ELM327 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yes, it would annoy me too. But the 6Kw limit is what you can export. That's not what you can generate. Nothing stopping you from having 2-3 inverters (more) if you want, as long as you don't export more than 6Kw.

Many inverters have a setting for max export rate. With 2 inverters you could set each of them to limit to 3Kw, thereby getting your max export of 6Kw. But while you were exporting 6Kw, you additionally could be filling batteries at 8Kw (assuming you had the generation ability)

I'd question the math for that though. Sounds good in theory, but the realities when you sit down and work it out would be questionable, I think. I'd also advise caution there with wiring.

Yes I'm not 100% interested in the math/numbers/finance. I'm going towards self sustainability and off grid ultimately.

Are you suggesting you can configure a series of inverters to max export 6kW but actually generate more? Imagine I have 2 6kW inverters and 16kWp of panels. Can I set to export max 6kW and keep the remaining 6kW assuming peak generation limited at 12kW by 2*6kW inverters? No one has mentioned that to me. My current setup is 8.1kWp with 6kW inverter. That's all S/SE facing and my next plan was to put another 8.1kWp on the N/NW side of the roof along with another inverter. Kinda similar to the OP - which is where my inspiration kinda came into reality.

One difference, I have no interest in exporting anything to the grid. I'd prefer to use the waste energy to connect a few space heaters for the outside or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Yes you can have more than 6kW in inverter power but not export more than that on an NC6. Probably a few here already doing this, I hope to go down that route in the next year.

Depending on the inverter brand you can get smart plugs that will turn on with the excess PV, something like that might work for your heaters at a relatively small cost.

I think in Ireland off-grid isn't a realistic proposition. Leaving aside the fiscal aspects, the physical generation math isn't there in terms of solar generation in December-January. There were days last December where I was regularly <1Kwhr off 5.3kwp in panels, so even with 15-16Kwp in panels, you'll struggle to run the house without some other source of power (wind turbine, small hydro). The alternative would be 40-50Kwp in panels or a huge (huge) battery of 50-100Kwhr or more to ride through the dark days, hoping that you can grab enough on the rare sunny short day to power back up.

Lots of options though if you did want to go that way. You could have a 2nd "off grid" inverter isolated from the main house circuits during the day charging a battery and then say at 11pm have an auto-switch over (of the battery) from off grid to supplying the house. Paralleling inverters like slave1 has done I think another option.

3x phase though and a 3x phase inverter would be the way I'd go if you were seriously considering it and cost wasn't an obstacle. 3x phase would also have benefits of having a more efficient options for heat pumps I believe (not expert there)

Be interested to hear mp3guys thoughts, he's the lad with all the real life system. :-)

@ELM327 - I have 11kwp, 20kWh home storage battery (plus over 100kWh in batteries in my EVs) and 11kW in inverter power (plus 3kW battery inverter, which the ESB count as well). I just don't export over 6kW and no way in hell would I pay the guts of a grand to the ESB just so I can fill in one of their poxy forms 😂

Currently have 2 6kW inverters with 14.7kWp, exporting limiting in place, use the full inverter generation for max charging the EV and then the normal house/water loads. Will have 20kWh of batteries online soon, life stuff getting in the way of progress

Totally with you on that unkel. Have 7.6Kwp going to close to 9Kwp, and I just make sure that i don't break 6Kw. 900 yo-yo's for an application form sounds.....excessive to me.

Still if you were planning 16kwp like mp3guy ELM327, I think while it's a substianial sum of wonga, might be good thinking to do the math on what your export rates would be and factor the FIT (and taxes) into it. the €900 might get paid for in 2-3 years if you were exporting a lot.

That said, I'd go back to the original thinking I had.... while it sounds great in theory the whole off grid thing, I'd question the feasibility of it even with a large array and battery. Still if you wanted to tick the box and get there - it's doable, but it'll cost you..... a lot.

• Advertisement

You can do off grid in a low electricity use house with a big PV system, but you would at least either burn fossil fuels for heat / hot water and / or have a fossil fuel burning generator to make electricity.

Grid, ladies and gentlemen, grid is good 😂

Even with the silly standing charges we have. They should be free and the cost of that should be in the unit rate. Polluter pays principle.

Ok so I've learned something today, I was under the impression that you could only produce 6kW, but it is actually you can only export 6kW.

Off grid is absolutely possible in ireland. What you mean to say is that it is cost prohibitive - and that's true. However I have the land and roof space to put massive numbers of panels, and am South South East facing, in the south of wexford, so if anyone is well placed to do it it's me. My installer confirmed the install is happening on Monday next. I'm excited! This is phase one (8.1kWp/6kW/20kWh) of what will become my own off grid project. I think I will have to treble each of those numbers to make it work. Not interested in FIT at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If those lads can go off grid surely in Ireland it would be easier. You will need wind though and a lot of changes to how you use power not just buying a big-ass inverter and leaving all your inefficient/standby appliances plugged in.

Yeah if you have a big enough battery and wind as well as solar, you could go off grid. Still need to burn fossil fuels though. Why would you though, this will cost more than an on-grid system. Off grid is only really suitable if you have a dwelling with no grid connection and getting connected would cost a fortune

Ohh totally doable lads - totally doable with a big enough system, but I think you mis-underestimate really how poor the generation is in December-January, when the day length is 8-9 hrs long. Here's my own system from last Dec.

Granted I'm a east/west split, so with a south facing system you'd beat that a bit. But Average daily production of 1.88Kwhr in December. I use about 20Kwhr/day - so well short and as unkel says that doesn't even include heating. Couple of those 0.4Kwhr days in a row would errode even a fat battery.

So I'd need about 40-50Kwp in panels. Yeah, you could do it. You'd be a bit bonkers, but technically you could do it. Occam's razor would come into play though I think. All things being equal the simplest solution, and if you have a grid then keeping it for the months that you need it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I think 20kwp will do just fine for most (if you exclude car charging and heat pump ofc)

And in summer you'll have generation 3-4x usage and no FIT 🤣

For me I think even 16kwp will do, just need to convince a few neighbours to let me use their S roofs - wasted atm 😂

I think the yield for the month is fine mate, if you had a 20Kwp... but the reality is that like today you'll get a mix of nice bright days and then 2-3 dark ones. So while your 20Kwp in the middle of Janurary might be able to knock out 25Kwhr on a good day, if you have 2-3 days in a row of a "beast from the east" or something where it's doing 3-4Kwhr/day, you'll be well short, even with a big battery. My worst generation for last Dec.....a measly 0.4Kwhr.....for an entire day! I did that in 6 minutes this afternoon :-)

Best thing to @ELM327 is to get your 1st array of 8kwp in and look at your actual telemetry for next Jan. See what your profile looks like with your usage.

Aside: I'm rooting for you to get it to work, but sadly I know the math doesn't work in your favour and I think you'd need wind, or small hydro to help you out. Then your looking at backup generators, having diesel onsite, maintenance, etc.

@ELM327 327, what is your 20kWh battery setup, you are alluding it is being installed next week, a DIY battery pack will cost you thousands less and seriously impact your payback, plug and go battery modules are vastly overpriced

What do you mean what is the setup?

I ordered it through Solarplus.

• Advertisement

A 20kWh setup of battery modules will likely cost about €8k incl VAT just for the batteries, plus the price of the inverter and the cost of install? It will never pay for itself. I (and many others on this forum) got 20kWh of high quality CALB cells a couple of months ago - these are better than the cells in ANY of the pre-made packs - and they cost me €2300 incl delivery. Some people got them even cheaper in the sale early this year or late last year

Advertisement