If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denon x4700 HDMI CEC woes :'(

Options
  • 27-08-2022 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Folks,

I have a appletv 4k connected to my Denon AVR (x4700) which is in turn connected to an LG C9 OLED (bar the atv purchased for your good selves). All was working perfectly until about a week ago when HDMI cec stopped working, the appletv can no longer detect it being available from the AVR.

If I connect the appletv to the tv directly it can enable cec again.

I followed all the documentation on apples site for debugging this. I powered off and disconnected all devices, and incrementally reconnected and powered up. I replaced all the cables with certified new ones. I factory reset the TV, the AVR and the appletv but none of that helped. In desperation I started trying different HDMI ports... none of them worked until I finally tried the front AUX port. All of a sudden CEC was enabled again. I then powered off and reconnected to a rear port but CEC stopped again. It seems like there's something wrong with the rear ports specifically... any ideas?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Grimbo.

Sorry to hear you are having some issues with your 4700.

I will have to drop our service department over your issue to see what they say as it not something I have came across myself to be honest.

In the mean time if you drop me your full name I can check if the unit is still with warranty in case it needs to be repaired.

Due to the bank holiday weekend here in the North the service team will not be back into work until Tuesday 30th and they are closed tomorrow.

If you wished you could also give Denon's tech team a quick call 00442081034770 as they will know the products inside out.

I did also find this guide to try and reset things. You may have already done this but I pop it below anyway.:

1: Turn on HDMI-CEC

HDMI-CEC has to be enabled on all devices. What makes this harder is that devices all call this something slightly different. For example, Sky Q calls the setting HDMI control, LG calls it Simplink, Samsung calls it Anynet+, Sony calls it Bravia Sync, and Panasonic calls it VIERA Link or EZ-Sync.

That makes things a little more complicated, but you just need to look in the settings menu for the HDMI options and you should find the right control. It’s important to enable HDMI-CEC for all devices, including soundbars, TVs, set-top boxes and Blu-ray players.

If you had HDMI-CEC disabled on any devices, then this could be your problem. However, if the setting was enabled on everything (or you enabled the settings) and HDMI-CEC isn’t working, then you need to jump to step 2.

2:Replug everything.

HDMI-CEC is really finicky about the order that devices are plugged in, as this affects the handshake that makes the system work. Where HDMI-CEC isn’t working properly, you need to turn everything off at the plug and remove all HDMI cables from your TV.

Next, turn your TV on first. Then, if you have any external sound devices (soundbar or AV amp), you need to plug these into an HDMI port on your TV first, and then power them on. Next, plug in a set-top box, such as Sky Q, via HDMI and power it on. Finally, follow up with media players and Blu-ray players.

This should make HDMI-CEC work properly, so turning on Sky Q, for example, will turn on the TV and set it to the right channel. However, don’t be surprised if turning off a set-top box leaves the TV on, as this is often the case.

Let me know if you have any luck and I'll keep you posted once I get to chat to our service team on Tuesday.

Hi Grimbo.

Had a check with our service team and they recon it will need to go off for repair based on what you have said above.

I checked your account and it is still within warranty so if you want to return it back to us here at the Belfast store we can have it sent for repair and returned to you.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grimbo

I've sent a DM Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.