Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The GFS has had this wknds low nailed on for nearly two weeks now. Its consistently had it hanging around like a bad smell for a week or more.

It's showing 7-10 days of muck from Friday onwards before HP starts building again around mid September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I will probably open the Autumn threads tomorrow and yep the first half of September is looking like a write off if the GFS is correct. This could well be the wettest and windiest spell of weather since February. Around mid September may offer some promise of things settling down but that is along way off deep into FI.

Make the most of tomorrow and Thursday. We've been here before several times during the summer where the GFS brings 10 days of very unsettled conditons only for it to downgrade in an instant but this time around I don't think it will.

If the GFS was to verify some places could see up to 110mm of rainfall between this weekend and the following 7 days, especially southern and western coastal areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

If I'm honest, I welcome all 100mm of it.

An rud is annamh is iontach.

What is seldom is wonderful.

Who would believe that 'seldom' is referring to 'Rain' in this case!! LOL.

At this stage, this drought in Bray seems like its lasted longer than the famous Summer 2018 one.

I'm not sure if a 10 minute moderate shower during the T&L a few weeks ago and a few hours of overnight drizzle a week later count as the ending of a drought here. Paths barely got damp. Seafront and Bray Head grass has been yellow and straw-like for months now. The only reminder at how green it usually is the patch of lush green grass due to spillage around the public drinking water tap beside Finbee's Coffee shop/Aquarium building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

I wonder will dublin escape the worse of this incoming unsettled spell ,as its all spiralling up from the south the wicklow mountains could save the day here in Dublin, its happened numerous times before with this sort of set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

just lovvvving this weather - around 22 degs... blue skies.. cool breeze - my ideal weather - woo hoo... Cork btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The land needs a good wetting over the next month for sure, but if it could just not come all at once...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Last sunrise of Summer 2022 in Greystones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Fog in Southern Laois and a cool 7.7c AWS Low to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A refugee from the hordes of Midian... THE MIDGE is swarming and the air is oppressive. Typical end of hot spell conditions,

My walk to pick berries was doomed.. Not oleasant and a good downpour is needed, Thr air is thick...

Offshore Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite a difference between some inland areas and coastal areas on the 7am WOW reports.

Just 6.4c in Ardee ACS whilst Glengarriff ACS is 16.0c

Across in the UK it's Manston in the far SE reporting a rounded 19c whilst Altnaharra in Scotland is a rounded 1c!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Autumn is coming....tomorrow! 🙂

15.4c atm in Greystones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today is the last day of summer and could be the last time I see sunshine for the forseeable future, going to spend the whole day outside. Models still showing more than a months worth of rain falling in places over the next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a beautiful walk to school on 1st day back.

Playground then this evening as we could be indoors all weekend by looks of it with all the rain that's forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Tomorrow is another sunny day also Friday isn't looking too bad ,Saturday though could be washout in the east ,that's what currently being modelled anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another lovely sunny day in Dublin. Will be sad to see the back of Summer 2022, one of the best in memory

Hopefully the GFS is just overcooking the rainfall potential over the next week. Still hoping for some kind of downgrade in the models between now and Saturday but it does generally look like it will be unsettled over the next week to 10 days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Let’s be honest we are well overdue some rain, it’s been like 2 months since any sustained rain fell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh definitely but I just for sorry for people when bad weather falls on weekend if they have been working all week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well to many of us summer lasts well into September, even until October, has always will.... It cannot be tied down the same every year. Because the met office say so ... So summer goes on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lovely and warm in Carrick above 20c anyway, sun is shining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

It won't rain all the time over the weekend. A washout to me is rain non stop all day. Bank Holiday Monday was the last one here and then only 12mm so bar the usual spots Saturday may not turn out too bad in some parts and we may get a lot of the heavy rain over with overnight Friday and then showery Saturday and Sunday.

Summer 2022 in Sligo started real bad but has improved. I figured early on that the 2nd half of July and August would see somewhat better weather and this is what transpired here in the Northwest. June was a zero for sun and warmth though. And the 3 days in a row of mist and darkness in July are best forgotten. August has been the best one since 2003 or 2006 here. The chill that comes after August 23rd annually never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM Extreme Weather Index for 24-hr precipitation total on Saturday. It's a measure of how unusual the total is relative to the LTA for the time. A value of 0.7 means that up to 70% of years don't get the totals being predicted. So it's about a 3 in 10 event, not too unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Joanna Donnelly said on weather after the news that there could be weather warnings issued for this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭acequion

Speak for yerselves over East! We are certainly not overdue rain here in the South West and certainly not the deluges forecast. While we've had a fair share of decent dry weather this summer here, especially in August, no way has it been so dry that you'd be craving for rain. We had wash outs for the August bank holiday and again after the early August heat wave and plenty of bits since. We're fine out rain wise thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Few bits of weather history.

This day 25 years ago, 31 August 1997, the day Princess Diana died, witnessed very heavy rainfall across much of the country with flash flooding around Carlow.

I'm fairly sure 1st September 1993 was the warmest day that year, 24C in Kilkenny Met Eireann announced on the 9pm news that evening. One thing I'm sure of, the warmest day of the year won't be in September this year 😊 It looks fairly certain we won't do a 3 in a row of breaking the monthly all time record. The first 10 days of the month won't be conducive to it and you really can only break the record in the first week as you're losing 4min daylight a day.

Sryan will know but I remember as a 9 year old on 30th September 1985 the 9pm news telling us the 3 warmest days of the year reached 23C. One around the 23rd July before the weather broke on 25th, there were a few pleasant days before it. The other two were 10 and 23 September when 23C was reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely sunshine today in Dublin.

Rain for Friday ..... can't tell timing for a long drive cross country. Saturday SW Coast for morning looks OK but Sunday looks intense from south-west for return travel 😲 Following with interest. Will miss the peaceful amazing weather we have been having.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Amazing to think that the sun angle is 60 degrees high in the sky on 21 June and 45 degrees on 1 September. You often hear people comment on the 'light appearing differently' by early September.

Post edited by Cumhachtach on

• Advertisement

When they brought in the water ban a few days ago met Éireann was forecasting another 2 weeks of settled weather. I’m delighted that they were wrong. I’ve notice the iPhone weather app has been very poor this year forecasting, always rated highly.

Advertisement