Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So you are another who doesn’t have a problem with lads shooting 50 points.

No offence taken. Lowest was 9.5. For the record I never claimed I should have ever been single figures. Just said I have the ability to be one.

I know I have ability. I’m told often enough by good enough players. Plenty on here know me and my game and can either attest to that or not. You don’t. Haveing the Ability is one thing, making the most of that ability is another. As I say, I’ve shot plenty of single figure rounds of golf. I can hit the ball a long way, I can play draws, fades, knock down shots, spin my chips, putt well, etc. But golf is a game of skill and it’s one thing doing it a few times is all well and good but doing it regularly is where it’s hard. So why I have I never been a single figure golfer?????? Cause I never practice……..

I think that’s a daft analogy . They don’t use handicaps in professional golf so they are all on an equal playing field

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

There's nothing wrong with a lad shooting 50 points once every 5 years or so. But if he does it in the same comp every year or 2-3 times a year in major comps, that's a problem

I think this is a fair point that the lads are missing. I don’t think either of us dispute that we are not as good as we were due to lack of form or a bad run or In Parlance case an injury. We fully accept that our handicap has gone up for a reason. We are just making a reasonable point that the handicap increase of 5 shots is very unfair, not on us, but on the rest of the field

• Advertisement

Once every 5 years????? Are you taking the piss? I shot 50 points once. I was really just getting into golf and I think was off 19. Shot the round of my life, (still to this day) with 5 birdies but a double and a triple ruined my card 🤣. I was needlessly delighted at playing so I ell but I was equally mortified at telling people I had 50 points.

the only people who should ever get near 50 points is someone new to the game who is improving at speed, and even then……….🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You do know that you can go to your handicap secretary, inform him that you believe your handicap is wrong for you and ask to be cut. He should be only too delighted to do so. Anything that stops the clubs name in lights for another lad who shot 50 points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

50pts is ridiculous scoring

there will never be a perfect system. Different categories are the only way I can see it working.

there’s just too much between a 0 handicap and 21 handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

But is it unfair on the rest of the field this week, or next week or the week after ? If I understand correctly you’re basing the unfairness on the idea that you have the ability and one day will show it. I’m not trying to be smart with that, like you, I think 50pts is a joke no matter what the system. I do think there must be something else feeding into these high 40s+ scores tbh. It can’t be just WHS or you would think it would be across the board, unless lads are really ripping the p1ss with it.

I was talking to a high handicap lad I regularly play with on Sunday and neither of us can decide whether we think WHS is better or worse than congu. We did agree it’s very odd to have a system where a) two guys off the same handicap can both shoot 36pts on the same day and one could be cut and one could go up a shot, and b) someone could shoot 36pts today and 26pts tomorrow and could go up for the 36 and nothing happen for the 26, depending on what was falling out of his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

to be fair it’s only daft if you’re not following the conversation. Handicapping is an aside to this point.

Greebo’s point was that in-form players should stand a better chance of winning than players having a lucky day.

i agree with him. Sport should reward skill, consistent and dedication.

But even in the highest ranks of golf, players who have seemingly neither the form nor the ability to win a tournament, have weekends where they beat some of the best and most dedicated players of all time. Without cheating.

hence I think some (not all) Greebo’s annoyances with WHS are incorrect. The pursuit of a perfect handicapping system would destroy the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

What does having the ability mean? Part of the ability is being able to put all of the separate components together on a consistent basis to be able to have your handicap in single figures for a period of time. Being able to play a shot a better player can play every now then doesn't equal the ability to be off single figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The only time I’d ever excuse 50 points is somebody 1) getting an initial handicap as a beginner, 2) not playing a scoring round for about a year 3) practice and lessons constantly for improvement, 4) playing a scoring round

But you don’t agree with him. You think that it is correct that WHS represents current form…… bad current form. So someone having a lucky day wins with a handicap based on bad current form…… that is not someone in-form.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

No. I agree with what he determines to be the proper essence of sport (in form, competitive players standing the best chance to win)

But by referencing the oddball winners of 3 of the last 19 Open championships, I hope it helps everyone accept that when a club comp throws out an unexpected, out of form winner from the back of field, it’s not WHS that’s doing it. It’s just golf.

And you know what, if tour golf was played over 18 holes instead of 72, it would ram that point home even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

@GreeBo ”The people in form should stand a better chance of winning than those out of form...if not, then its not a sport anymore”.

Well they do have a better chance but isn't the very essence of sport that the favorite doesn't always win. The form book going out the window and all that.

Also form can be measured over various ranges. WHS tells me my form over last 20 rounds (3 months) has me a 13.5 HI. My last 4 rounds (2 weeks) tells me my form is about a 10 Hi. I have a better chance of winning than any individual high handicapper but less chance against the cohort of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I love the new system as a genuine golfer with a never ending desire to improve. I couldn't give a damn if I win any prizes. My competitiveness is against myself, shoot the lowest score possible.

Your best 8 scores don't stay the same for very long, regularly dropping off the last 20. So you better stay focussed on your off days, because it could come in handy if you lose a bit of form and limit the increase.

When in form it's great. Like I am now. 5 of my last 6 are counting and I have the next 5 rounds with no top scores to go. So I can play with total freedom probably for the rest of the season knowing handicap can only go down (I know you should think that way anyway).

You know what you need to shoot to lower the handicap, what the rest of the field does is irrelevant. Used to find old system frustrating when you could shoot over 36 points and not get cut.

I was off 16.2 in April, now off 12.2. Not convinced I would have dropped that low with same scores in congu system.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I'm of the same opinion. I think the new system is great for motivation and knowing that your H/C rising/dropping is in your hands. I started the season well, won a weekend competition in my Division (11-19) or however its divided. I dropped off during the summer and my H/C has gone up to 17. I have been putting in more practice as I'm challenging myself and out of the last 5 rounds I have had 4 of them are H/C counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Have a look at Laplace's demon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon. Recalculate the handicap after every shot, inputting the exact position of every atom in the universe. Simple - everyone shoots 36 pts every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Am I? Not sure where you are getting that from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

But the game is littered with people that can do loads of things well but can't get to single figures. I think you are missing the biggest point. ie In order to play consistently off less than 10 then you need all of these components working pretty well almost all of the time. Just because you can do all of those things well some of the time does not make you a 9 handicapper (or a 12 for that matter) because the key to better golf is consistency. Yes you may be able to hit all the shots but you can't do it consistently within a round or on a round to round basis. Otherwise you would have a lower index than you currently have. Don't underestimate how tough it is to get to single figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont understand the point you are making? If we have curtis, Hamilton & Clark a 5 shot handicap to make them more competitive, then yeah it would diminish it, just like many people think the Tour Championship is diminished by the handicap head starts.

I don't think that having the ability to sometimes hit shots is at all the same as having the ability to play to a lower handicap.

Frankly I think you are deluding yourself a bit here! :)

Who is to say that if you practiced you would get any more consistent or better? And if we are to take that as a given, isnt that true for pretty much every single golfer? If we all practiced more we would would all be single figure or hell, scratch, thus rendering the point meaningless?

50 points is 24 under par. That should never happen to anyone other than an incorrectly handicapped beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

Surely it's 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I think its actually 14, not 24. Still a lot but stableford wouldn't take into consideration the scores greater than a nett double bogey a high handicapper would have so stableford is probably weighted more towards high handicappers anyway.

I have no issue with an outsider winning or someone hitting some form, but the problem is that WHS will keep bumping someone up until they can shoot even par, whilst playing out of form, or well below their potential.

I dont think you have a better chance of winning than any individual high handicapper, since they have much more scope for improvement than you do.

I've gone from 2.5 to 3.4 in the last 2 months, but in reality I'm no worse a golfer than when I was 2.5, I'm just not playing well, I dont want or expect help to artificially return a higher score.

Perhaps WHS increases should be end of month/quarter type things to better allow distinguishing between current form and a new level of play?

Another way of looking at it, two identical golfers, both playing off 12.

One loses a bit of form as he is playing less golf due to work, the other remains at the same level.

6 months later one is still off 12 and the other is now 14.

The 14 handicap guy changes jobs and is now back playing at the same rate as before, identical to the first guy.

Why should he have 2 more shots to play with than the original guy? They both have the same skill/talent and put in the same amount of effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think we can all agree that 60 should probably never happen 😂

I actually think 50 is doable but you would expect it to be a very very rare occurrence. I've a friend would had 49 this summer, quite literally the round of his life and as he put it, he was due a good one, with his last win coming last century...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I shot a 48 this year 2 weeks before qualifying off 18, 78 gross Round of my life didnt know my score just knew I was going well. Got cut 2 shots by handicap sec for general play which I was delighted with. I still get a buzz thinking about it 😁 Really taught I was going to burn this season up! Sadly I have'nt broke 90 since! 🙄 and to top it off the score isn't even on Golf Ireland because it was non qualifying.

Advertisement