Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You should try working in a tech section. It's dreadful some of the staff we have coming in. If they can't do basic administrative tasks what hope do they have doing highly complex technical work.

Tech streams should be paid more than a bog standard HEO or EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Your February 1% is already agreed so I doesn't matter if it's a No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Sorry your post is correct , enjoy the extra few bob !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

I actually do and the training is double that of a new entrant as they have to learn admin AND ICT as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,108 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was expecting a bit more. Enough to update the auld sauna.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Hahahah I was hoping to add a lazy river into my swimming pool. What a lovely symbolic addition that would have been for Fliball and his motley crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The vibe from the floor is it won't pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

While you are correct about a possible 5% compounded increase during 2022, bear in mind that follows just 1% in 2021.

Inflation was 5.5% in the year to December 2021.

SD tickets constantly pushed up the line with zero triage. People coming into the system with zero tech ability/knowledge

IT roles, in PS, need to be broken out of the general clerical banding. It makes no bloody sense and, yeah, you end up with no ability to attract talent outside the people who are just sick of lining billionaires pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AtomicBolts

There is so much global instability at the moment. Wars aside, Italy, Pakistan, China are all big countries with very significant vulnerabilities that could cause us major problems. Our next door neighbours are effectively in a economic recession while facing down the barrel of a humanitarian crisis this winter. We could be looking at the similar. I just don't feel it will be as bad. That said it will be quite nasty.

Nearly everyone in Europe is losing wealth due to inflation. Most of us, no matter our personal circumstances, are becoming poorer. The lower the income levels the worse the experience will be. This deal doesn't compensate for inflation. Everyone is effectively having a wage reduction. The thing is if our economy turns, and it very well could, there will be far less money and public appetite for a similar deal. I really think this is the best offer the government will make. Could it be better? Yes, but will there be better?

The current deal will mitigate the hardship for a lot of people. No deal runs a very real risk of a lot more hardship and a potentially weaker bargaining position if the economy and tax take falters. If businesses have to shutter and people lose their jobs how much appetite do you think a public that can sometimes have very begrudging attitudes to civil and public servants will have for public pay increases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Where do you work. Every single colleague I've spoken to (about 12) is in favour.

The main issue I have is we look at civil servants who are already filling the positions and have 15+ years of experience behind them. Yet candidates with zero hands on experience with a certificate in ICT get the EO and HEO positions over them. Thus leaving the exisiting Civil Servants to question why they are doing a difficult role instead of transferring to HR or somewhere like that.

If you pay 28K a year for ICT staff well you know the calibre and quality of staff you are going to get.

Yeah, seeing it in the PS now too. Can't get above grade 5 or 6 without a degree, no matter your experience and training.

Had a teammate leave, recently, as they would not even let him interview (they, mistakenly disregarded his adjacent degree). By the time they came back to OK it he was gone

No wonder you can't get into the PS, you'll never get onto the gravy train with that spelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,108 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The last time I got a pay increase I left the immersion on all day.

Strangely enough if you were to leave the Public Service and contract for one of our partners qualifications wouldn't matter and the pay would be doubled. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If I was vaguely concerned about others doing better than me, I'd have stayed in the private sector. I moved to the public sector when I decided that money wasn't the most important thing in my life, so you really couldn't be further wrong. I've no difficulty with seeing others doing better than me. I enjoy seeing family and friends doing better than me. I just don't feel the need for crass boasting about my own position to calm my insecurities.

We probably don't want to revisit the whole WFH debate here, so I'll just say that you've mischaracterised two aspects of the points I was making. There's a lot more costs involved in WFH, particularly home heating and furniture. I was also repeatedly raising the issues for those who are more financially stretched than me. The increase in utility costs will magnify the issues I raised x5 or x10 over the coming winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Anybody not wanting to take this are mad, what exactly better do you think we are going to get? An extra 1% maybe 1.5%? How long will that take, a year, 18months? Anyone whos rejecting increases and money now approx 10 days wages into the paw is simply not struggling.

When I see what some of the contractors reporting to me earn... But then I remind myself why I left that world behind

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'd see virtually no chance of any agreement being made this year if this is rejected. It'll require a series of strike days to draw the government back to the table, for a possibility of another percent, or another percent and a half, at most.

There is a thin line here between rising inflation and a worsening economic forecast, wait too long on the deal and the optics of it will get much worse - so striking for an additional percent or two may end up coinciding with a loss of leverage for those strikes as a recession looms.

I'd have been hoping for something closer to a 7.5 (not including the 1% in October) but the backdated pay lump sum will make a huge difference to me this winter (I saw another person say how it would cover their heating oil for winter - that is a huge deal right now), 6.5 isn't that far off, and we can see how things are in 18 months to trash out a new deal.

I cannot tell anyone how to vote but I really think anybody rejecting this would be incredibly moronic and living in some fantasy land, given the fact that numerous strike days would virtually be a guarantee to draw the government back to the table - which would likely go on for months, with a possible additional rise of 1-2 percent at best, but more likely is that the balance of power will have firmly shifted over to the government by then in a worsening economic outlook and a tough winter - and we will reach a point where many of those who turned this down would beg for an opportunity to have a similar offer again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't forget that there's often anything from 1-5 agencies taking slices off whatever is paid for contractors before the money reaches the individual

Oh I know, I see the POs and still get recruiters coming offering

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Does union support have to be unanimous for this deal to go through? The unions say they will return with a collective decision in 5 weeks but what if a handful of unions reject the proposal?

It seems possible that one union's memebrship could reject the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crinkley

It’s going to be weighted I believe to stop that scenario I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say the deal will be accepted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Pity it’ll take 5 weeks, would be nice to get the few bob before Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If it's accepted,I would expect it before Xmas.

October 7th is the date of unions decisions.Should move relatively quick from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Anyone that votes to reject this proposal was in all likelihood going to reject any deal no matter what it was, we all know the type.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Minister McGrath was on the airwaves today stating that the back payment should be paid in November if the deal is passed.

Advertisement