Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

First of all, go check the 4 panels. They are worth checking and fixing if they work. You could keep them independently.

Each panel will be connected to a micro-inverter with all 4 micro-inverters all wired in together feeding into a cable in your attic which will go down to your board. So you don't have an inverter anywhere. There is likely just a junction box in the attic.

Micro-inverters just create AC straight away at each panel. So you should have 230v coming up from your board. They need AC to run

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jarren1

Hi Guys

Is this any good?

• 12 x 395w JA Solar Panels (All black -Tier 1 high performance with 25 year warranty)
    • 3.6kw Solis Inverter
    • My Energi Eddi Hot Water Diverter
    • All electrical work including the following:
    • Projoy Shunt Switch
    • AC and DC Cabling and isolators
    • RCBO Switch
    • Full Label Kit to identify all components
    • Testing and commissioning
    • Renusol Black Buckets and weights
    • New BER
    • Pv check meter
    • Solis Cloud monitoring app
    • Completion of all SEAI documentation: Incl NC6, Declaration of works, and Reci.

The overall cost of the job is €10,350 (incl VAT), minus €2,400 SEAI grant

Optional Storage Extras:

• 6Kw Dyness Battery = €2,200 5.0Kw Dyness Battery = €3,150

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Price is inclusive or exlusive of grant? The inverter won't give you much scope for expansion down the line. You should ask what a 5 or 6kw inverter would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Jesus no, the inverter is way too small for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

I agree, I'm seriously considering forgetting about it all together. I know they will charge me for workmen coming out and expenses incurred, as they are holding my deposit but I can't throw good money after bad. Although they haven't come back in a week, even though they told me they would be back in a day or two. I dont think there going to do any better and the current price doesn't make any sense. Even with way energy prices are going.Thanks for comment poker-addict, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mod Note

A reminder to all posters to be aware of any unsolicited PMs recommending Solar PV companies. This may not be an unbiased recommendation and that person may be receiving payment for their referral. See post #1 for details.

If you do receive a PM like this, please contact @Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

are all elec companies on bonkers.ie?

edit, looks like they are, but website doesnt have function to split usage to day, night, peak, off peak, off off peak (EV time)

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2 incised

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a company, just want to shoot quote request and not sure who i should even consider. (Louth)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Your formula is slightly off. Remember it's €1k per 2kWh battery.

(4.3 x €1.2k) + (€1k x 2.4/2) + €550 = €5160 + €1,200 + €550 = €6,910

This makes the quote even worse.

Bear in mind that the formula is geared towards larger installs - your proposal is smaller and the fixed costs will therefore bring up the price. But it's certainly on the expensive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Quote for €12,150 - Galway City.

How does this sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Pavlova lova

Hi Folks,

looking to get a small 3.6kw system put in. Two companies quoted so far both strongly advised against a battery as "would barely fill it with your heat pump". Both quotes coming in at €10-11k (before grant) for 8 jinko panels, Sofar HYD ES 3000, and scaffolfing (€2k as roof is over 7m). This seems extremely high compared to quotes here in this thread. Would someone be able to PM any suppliers where they got more reasonable quotes? I'm Dublin based if it matters.

Thanks in advance,

P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I take it that's pre grant?

We're all familiar with that company and €12.5k sounds high unless it's a pre grant or no grant price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

I've gone for the following;

14 x 380W panels

6kw inverter

5kw battery

Extra wiring/fuseboard works to install on external building

Optimisers on all panels

Eddi

The usual install parts like rails, shunt switch, comms hub to link 3 seperate arrays yadda yadda.

12,200 after grant. Might not be the best deal out there but they're doing everything as some installers were unwilling to do the extra wiring to external buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

I'd love to know how people are getting any reasonable quotes........it's hard enough to get a reply, this is what I've got back in the past few days

All rule of thumb formulas appear to be out the window at this point, these prices are pre grant but still mental

Yeah I was quoted a few months back, I'd imagine prices have gone up a fair bit since demand is on the rise too. What size is that Huawei battery? From a personal standpoint I simply wouldn't have Huawei equipment in the house but that's purely a personal view.

Also seeing operators stretched beyond capacity to reply.

The rule of thumb cant change too much, otherwise it is simply a case of not installing. There is panic right now, people are swallowing the marketing and hype. Electricity prices wont keep rising - the man on the street simply wont be in a position to afford them, never mind the local shops which will be folding very soon. The EU is already talking of intervention. I see a 10 year pay back as a marginally acceptable investment, some of the quotes are closer to 20 years. That is illogical, a large number buying will be dead by then. Something has to give....ultimatley the people buying are those who privelgaged to have the cash position to buy, most dont, so again current trends are not sustainable. Batteries in particular screw up the ROI, and in Ireland we really need a battery even a small one (imho).

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Sadly I reckon energy prices will continue to rise. Wish that wasn't the case. We've been told to expect a few hard winters by governments in Europe. So that's more justification to get solar. But not at any price of course.

Ignoring the Ukraine conflict, just with the dirty CO2 fuels needing to go end of life / drop massively that means more pressure to find green replacements.

Even a huge uptake in EVs means wedneed a heap more capacity on the gird.

And solar dies in winter as we know. Hydro at sea isn't there yet bar small test sites in our part of the world afaik. Wind is seeing huge uptake of course. There will rightly be huge pressure to scale up green energy. Storing it remains a challenge.

Then back to Ukraine, Europe needs to find a replacement for Russian fuel. So the markets we buy from will remain bumpy for years. So our largest provider to Europe will remain closed.

Not trying to scare monger. Expressing my view.

So a longer X year ROI won't worry me as then from the following year it's all free juice. But people still need to keep a level head and get sensible quotes of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Sadly, how blind can people get?. Figures in last sunday's paper state that there are 529000 EV charging points in UK, but only 33000 are publicly accessible, and where does this electricity come from?, solar? only available during the day when most cars are charged at night, wind?, intermittent at best, and cannot even supply current supply, wave energy?, let's all hope for a storm every day. Have any of you muppets tried to replace a battery in your EV yet, costs more than the original car cost. Did you see last week in US, sleepy Biden gave a grant for EV's of $7500 and the next day Ford increased the price of an EV by $8500

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Does the below sound ok, price & spec wize?

I know the Eddie is for hot water and the Zappi is a car charger but what does the Harvi do for me?

14 x 410w panel 5.7kWh System

6kw Solis Inverter

5.1 Battery 

Eddi

Harvi

Zappi

€13900 - €2400 grant = €11,500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

could probably come down a bit on the inverter spec? others more techie on here best to advise though on this, but looks like a decent quote. will they do BER and SEAI grant dogwork?

the Harvi is a CT (current transformer) clamp that measures the current in the Live wires and wirelessly sends that data to the Master MyEnergi device, essential bit of kit for the system to know what is being imported, exported etc.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

I think the 6kw Solis Hybrid Inverter will allow me to add additional panels in the future if i need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bakka

That's not a bad quote Delboy5. With the way prices are going up, I'd take it. Battery prices have gone up a lot, and that's if you can lay your hands on one. The Seai grant paperwork is simple to do yourself. They also give an immediate answer too. Some people think they are getting something of value when a supplier says they'll do the grant paperwork for you. They are not. The paperwork is a piece of cake to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I'd +1 on what Bakka mentions above. The only additional advice I'd offer is to ask them to bring along 2x extra panels, and if they can fit them to your roof that you do so on the day. They will of course charge you for that, but it'll be like the cheapest way in adding 2x panels, rather than coming back 1 year down the road wishing that you'd done it originally. Usually it's about €200-250 / extra panel on install day.

I have a quote on panels i am happy with, it is with a huawii inverter. I am wondering should i get a solis to have options for battery - I think I am not going to get batteries initially, in order to add them myself when i see a deal.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Hi Delboy,

would u mind PMing me ur supplier for that quote, looking to go that route myself and I think thats not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 southeastbrowser

Received this quote, second company will not quote due to roof shape (dormers &veluxs).

5.2 kWp s13 x 400 watt Longi Solar panels

8x Optimisers

Solis high efficiency 5kW Dual String Inverter

Energi EDDI (hot water diverter)

€10,000 after grant.

bin. and name and shame them on the PV facebook page as in my opinion that is really aggressive after grant pricing.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 2 southeastbrowser

Thank you, what would be a reasonable price for something like this? It is difficult to get anyone out to price at the moment. Did have another company quote for something similar a few months back, they included a 5kw battery but want €17,000 after the grant which seemed like a crazy price.

• Advertisement

Thats a great quote, could you pm me the contractor? All my mates are asking about installs now mines is getting done, would be good to have a few decent suppliers for the mix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement