Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Deflected goal for Derry just when it looked like shels had weathered the storm!

Was gonna go to Tolka tonight but couldn’t make it.

At Bohs game I got a harsh €40 penalty for parking on a tiny stretch of grace park road where there’s a permanent white line. I didn’t see it because a lot of that road is broken line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Very good win for us in Dalymount, under pressure for a good bit of the second half but we got a crucial goal on the break which sealed the win. Curtis and Redmond were impressive in our backline.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Worst Bohs team since Heary if not Farrelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A real fluke of a goal tonight to get the 3pts , but I'll take it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Cotter ran in a straight line for 30 yards past 'challenges' for the goal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

When you're making Barry Cotter look like Cafu, something is not right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Shels more indiscipline last night with Sean Boyd picking up a red after the final whistle. Him and the defender were at each other for the whole game.

Shels were just outmatched by Derry who on balance deserved the win.

Nice evening in Tolka though. I brought the 2 yung uns for the first time. Expensive night out with hats and scarves and crisps 🤣🤣

A group of kids at the end of the stand kept their chanting and singing going for the whole match. I think they were underage players

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I think that was an underage team from Drumcondra AFC. Saw a lot of Drums top about the place last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Would love to send the bill to those gobshites who threw the bottles and the moron who ran onto the pitch, hope he got banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

“Massive” is a bit overegging it on the size of the fine.

It's the Mirror, click bait basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Virgin Media have the rights to the Europa and Europa Conference in Ireland and will have to as part of their contract show the Rovers games.

BT Sport also hold the rights and will show all games, they covered all Dundalk games on the main channels so can't see why they will not cover all the Rovers games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

The only thing Messi was the defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Rovers only provided with 358 tickets for the game on Friday in Dalymount, yet Pats got over 800 for last nights game. Petty stuff altogether.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Considering the damage that was done last time, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Gardai who dictated numbers.

Keith Long could be on the brink.

Gone.

• Advertisement

It is with regret that Bohemian FC has today parted company with men’s first team manager Keith Long.

The board of Bohemian FC wish to express our heartfelt gratitude for Keith’s dedication, loyalty and success during his time at the club.

When Keith joined Bohemians in October 2014, he joined a club that had a multi-million euro debt and its future existence very much under threat.

Thanks in no small part to his dedication, Bohemian FC is a very different place to the club he joined nearly eight years ago.

Back then, the club was in survival mode, and he was given a mandate to avoid relegation from the Premier Division. He instead led Bohs to a fifth-place finish in a 12-team league in his first season in charge.

Under Keith’s guidance, his then part-time team continued to punch above its weight in the coming seasons, building up a unique rapport with Bohs supporters in the process. Previously almost unheard of, sold-out signs at Dalymount Park became the norm.

With the club’s debts cleared and future secured off the field, Keith progressed the club further on it, nurturing and developing some of the league’s youngest talent in the process, and providing a platform for them to fulfil their potential.

Those efforts reaped reward when his side finished third in 2019 to ensure European football for Bohs for the first time in eight years.

The team lost out on agonisingly on penalties to Hungarian side Fehervar. But in the league, Keith went one better in 2020, finishing second – the club’s highest league finish in a decade.

That achievement saw Bohemians compete in the Europa Conference League last year – delivering some of the most memorable nights in the Aviva Stadium as Bohs beat Stjarnan, Dudelange and PAOK in the club’s most successful European campaign.

Keith also led Bohemians to our first FAI Cup final in 13 years last season where his side narrowly lost out on penalties to St Patrick’s Athletic.

Keith showed a loyalty to our club that is rare in football, and he can call himself a true Bohemian. He embodies the values of our club and has represented it impeccably throughout his time here.

As well as the many great nights he delivered over his time in charge, the contribution that he has made in working with the club to build structures and lay foundations for future success cannot be overstated.

It is with regret that league results this season have fallen short of his aspirations and most committed of efforts.

We are extremely appreciative for everything he has done for our club over his tenure, and the board of Bohemian FC wish him the very best of luck for the future.

Trevor Croly and Derek Pender will take charge of the team on an interim basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Fuckin hell, would have thought he'd get the rovers game.

The last few weeks have not been great but he had a bad hand to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Derry v rovers and Shels v Bohs in the cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Put your life savings on Shels to go through v Bohs. Never a greater cert than this. Outplayed them several times this year and no luck or no win. It was building to this, get the monkey off the back in fashion. Law of averages suggests we're due a win, we're at home, and they're absolute muck anyway. I'd be appalled if we didn't go through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Long overachieved for so many years at Bohs under limited budgets in his first few seasons now a victim of his own success. Surely with this run-in and FAI QF they have a new manager lined-up, will it be a now standard young recent ex-LOI player or will it be some unknown leftfield hipster type?

I don't think Shels outplayed Bohs at any point this year.

A draw against ten men, a heavy defeat at home, a defeat to ten men (!) and a draw with a dodgy peno.

Not delighted with that draw but I suppose if you are going to win the cup, probably have to beat Rovers at some stage.

Maybe best to play them when they have just come off a Euro game a few days before, rather than in the Aviva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

First game in Dalymount team was new and gelling, but shouldn't have conceded late goal. The 4-1 at home looks poor, but should have been 2/3-1 up before they got second. Can't remember offhand, but was their second a peno or a fortunate goal? Last game should of beat them with 10 men, outplayed them.

Could be called biased, but rarely any big calls go for us, and rarely we ever get an "easy goal", we're blunt upfront but every goal seems to entail a mammoth effort just to get one. You see other teams going up getting endless lucky deflections, last minute strikes against the run of play against us etc

I'd argue we're unlucky to be on our current points total, whereas Bohs could be a couple of points behind where they are. Just think they're owed a beating by us, and it will come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Bob Marleys grandson is the bookies favourite...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Looking at the latest filed accounts for Newtonheath Company Limited (NCL) for the 2020 season (2021 season should be filed shortly).

Made a loss of €49,712. As ever, the devil is in the detail. Note 3 to the accounts, Going Concern, states that €350,000 was written off the intercompany account, indicating that a loss of €399,712 was incurred. A similar exercise for 2019 indicates a loss of €602,877. So, just over €1m for two seasons. Same issues in earlier years.

A more worrying issue is note 8 to the accounts, Tangible Fixed Assets, which include both the stadium and the house. Investec Bank holds a fixed and floating charge over the assets of the NCL. As there are no bank borrowings disclosed in the accounts, you have to do a bit of digging.

Who owns NCL? Mancar Limited owns 100% of NCL. The intercompany account is with Mancar Limited.

Mancar's accounts to March 2021 indicate that there are bank borrowings of €26,420,818 and total liabilities of €27,390,389. No mention of a corresponding intercompany balance with NCL.

Note 7 to Mancar's accounts, Creditors, amounts falling due within one year, state that Investec Bank holds a fixed and floating charge over the assets of Mancar. This captures the ownership of NCL. In addition, it states that the Bank holds, amongst other securities, a first legal mortgage and charge over the stadium.

So not as rosie as some might like to believe. If I was of the St Pat's faith, I wouldn't very happy that debt has been piled upon the Club.

It all boils down to what the Bank will eventually do. To put the tin hat on it, imagine if Hooperman was responsible for debt collection at the Bank.

As a by the way, Bohs had debts of c.€5m and had to bailed out by DCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ye loads of Drumcondra AFC but also loads of the Shels Underage teams too. Great to see!

Losses are irrelevant at Pat's, they have a wealthy backer. Same for Rover's and Derry et al. And despite the argument that it's not sustainable, it absolutely is. It's not self sustaining, but as long as the backers are there it's very much sustainable.

As a by the way, Bohs sold an asset to DCC, it wasn't a "bail out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Absolutely bonkers statement! We haven't beaten Bohs in nearly 10 years, granted we were down in the graveyard for some time but still!

Delighted to hear that losses are irrelevant. Certainly puts a new slant on running a business.

Also, makes the €26m secured on the stadium irrelevant, looks like a waste of ink and paper then.

I'm sure the Bohs' faithful are delighted to hear they got €5m for Dalymount. Can you clarify where the proceeds on closing went? I'm sure there're wondering why the Club was run on a shoestring budget for the last number of years with €5m lying around. The DCC money must have gone somewhere. If it didn't go to payoff the Bank, where did it go?

Football is not a normal business, owners are happy to absorb loses, it's a business model and it works worldwide, look at Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United et al. If the owner decides they no longer want to fund it, well then you've a problem. If a customer of any business suddenly stops buying their product, you have a similar issue.

If you've debt secured on any asset, as long as you can service the debt, the asset is not in danger, this is what Pat's do, their owner Garrett Kellagher is more than happy to keep the train rolling. Any business secured debts against assets, it's the way the world works.

The proceeds of selling Dalymount went to paying off debt, same as if I sold my house and used the money to pay off the remained of my mortgage, I haven't been bailed out by the man who moved in, again it's just how business works.

• Advertisement

So now we agree that Bohs didn't get the money, it went to the Bank on closing.

The Bank wanted their money and were to appoint a Receiver and sell the ground and the Club. So Bohs went to DCC for help... A bail out.

As long as GK is happy to be involved and the Bank are happy to be patient, great. I'm just repeating what the accounts are saying.

Every blade of grass is mortgaged and there's always a day of reckoning.

Do you think a man drove a van of cash directly from DCC to Zurich?

Bohs offered an asset to an entity for sale and the entity bought it. Liquidizing an asset is not a bailout. Keeping use of an asset after liquidizing is good business.

Have a look at Shamrock Rovers accounts the last few years, who don't have an asset such as Richmond Park to mortgage, that is even more frightening. However they also have a wealthy benefactor so it's a non-issue.

Doubt there was a van involved. I'd say the Solicitors dealt with it, as is normal.

You make the Bohs situation sound as if it's a great deal. Which is fine. Maybe it is. That's your opinion.

The reason I raised the Bohs situation, was to show when you're in debt to the Banks, there's always a day of reckoning, even as you consider 'football is not a normal business'. Why else would the Bank hold the Deeds?

But that doesn't change the circumstances of what happened. They were in debt to the Bank for borrowings. They were backed into a corner of their own making. So it was approach DCC and hope they'll bail them out. That's what happened. Now DCC are having difficulty financing the project, which another issue.

But you seem to be missing the point that I initially raised. St Pat's are saddled with a €26m debt, secured on the stadium and I can't see what they've got in return for it. Did they ever got the €26m? Why were the Club's assets leveraged?

It's one thing putting your own money in to cover running the Club. I'm not sure loading debt onto the Club helps secure its future.

Do you know what they've got in return? (Genuine question). Or do any Pat's fans know?

I've also seen Shams' accounts. I'd say most LOI supporters know SDCC own Tallaght Stadium. As I understand it, the monies put in SRFC is share capital and not loans, thus giving the investors part ownership and voting rights. Totally different situation to what happened at St Pat's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Plus in recent years they got 3 million in total for Gavin Bazunu, 600k for Liam Scales, 200k for Aaron McEneff and a rumored 300k sterling for Andy Lyons. 3 million guaranteed for Europe this year added to Euro money for the previous 2 years and I can't see any money worries with Rovers. As well as that they've got 3,500 season ticket holders and over 600 members and also crowds are well up.

I wasn't implying that Shams are/would have financial problems. Nor was Artanevilla, as far as I can make out.

He was, if I understood correctly, alluding to recent investments in Shams. My view is that they are not similar. In the case of Shams it's a share capital investment. In the case of St Pat's it appears to be leveraging for which there is no information in the filed accounts to explain the pledging of the company's assets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Bermo leaving at the end of the season. 13 seasons he was with us. A club legend.

A sad day. Not privy, obviously, to what’s gone on between himself and Clancy, but its a shame. He’d still be in my first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry's completed First Division application officially submitted yesterday, now the wait until whenever Licensing Day is begins:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

That’s the day before the first division starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

With his form at U19 level, would have been interesting to see how he fared in the First Division next year, but hopefully he soon gets a chance in League Two:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

People often talk about how poor the Oriel pitch is, but I have to say it looks worse than ever.

At a glance you'd think it was a normal grass pitch that's very cut up, and it plays like one too ! (But worse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The speed just gets taken out of the ball so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Shels v Dundalk camera isn’t easy to watch

Hate artificial pitches.

Brandywell only new and its rubbish too. Its so slow and kills fast moving football.

Derry poor tonight v UCD. We are playing on the break against a team we beat 7-1 a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

As usual goals in every game bar the tv one

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement