Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redundancy rights - employer wants to pay a few weeks late

Options
  • 31-08-2022 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was told I was being made redundant in July, given a one month notice period so my official last day was in August, and now my former employer owes me for the days I was still employed in August, all my unused leave days plus my redundancy pay (2 weeks pay for every year worked there plus one more week). I worked there for 2.5 years, so it's no small sum. I was told today that they don't have the money, so they can't pay me, but they should have it in a few weeks and will pay me when they get it. I'm not about to starve, but I'm a bit worried because it didn't seem like a sure thing. He wasn't sure exactly how many weeks it will be but said he will keep me posted. He seemed genuine and I want to take him for his word, but I can't help but feel like this isn't right. (He even said those words to me "This isn't right" - he was very embarrassed to be giving me the news.) What are my rights in this situation? I did some quick research and there is a redundancy scheme where the government will pay me my redundancy if my employer refuses to - but how long should I give them before applying for that? Also, what about the days I was still employed in August and all my unused leave days?

Comments

Advertisement