Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford FC Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Hopefully some proper stability at the club at last.

Let's hope we can get back to the Premier ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Great news. Hopefully now he sorts out the mess in the structure of the club first. Build a stable base, look after the academy, get local business' on board, and of course get some quality in for the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Curious as to how a very similar profile of buyer keeps coming forward.

While Forrest wouldn't have had the same ownership experience of the other two lads, here we have another owner of an English League One club coming over, who also has a son who'll be getting involved in the business. I see the boy has also had some incidents with the authorities in England and Holland but hopefully he's learned his lesson.

I wish the guy well, but everyone wished Power and Forrest well also. The likes of Sligo Town (a well run fan-owned club) must be totally bemused when they see what goes on in the likes of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I suppose the biggest difference between Sligo and Waterford is the GAA scene. The big business owners in Sligo primarily weigh in behind Sligo Rovers whereas in Waterford, the majority back the hurlers.

You're right about the success of Sligo in generating a GAA type involvement from the local community.

I think Sligo raise about €400k a year via fundraising. They have a massive fundraising draw, supporters can buy a share in the club, and if you can become a member of something (like a GAA club) you'll probably feel more involved and inclined to support it a bit more - both financially and as a volunteer.

You can't become a member of Waterford FC, but you can pay in to see them play. There's a big difference between the two.

A Waterford FC fan will be wondering now about motives of their latest new owner. They might also be concerned that he's been investigated by trading standards in the UK and charged in relation to alleged fraud and money-laundering activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

great potential for Waterford if they can get a good consistent flow of loan players from Fleetwood and others local to them through him, then perhaps making some profit from sales to Fleetwood for some of the good players here. I do hope he builds everything behind like the academy and recruitment stuff cause Fleetwood have done stuff like that very well, that is the major upside of all this, he knows what a football club should look like.

I remember reading something about him saying he's the best football club builder in the world, well you can't be saying something like that and then failing like the last 2 owners, good test of that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't it have been nice if we had a new owner who wasn't heading to court on charges of setting up a business with the intent to defraud :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

anyone wanting to buy a league of ireland club is a dodgy character in my book so tis expected

Hopefully a win today up in Malahide in the Cup

If we get passed today you never know

6-0 win some performance

We should fear nobody in the draw for the QFs. Think Rovers or Dundalk would be a step too far for us if we drew them

Cup draw on at 18.10

The best draw would be Treaty Utd or UCD

Worst would be either Rovers, Derry or Dundalk

Dundalk at home

Will be a good occasion. Big crowd , good performance ...who knows? Magic of the cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Home draw; great, getting Dundalk; not so great. None of the remaining league fixtures are crucial from here on in, only to keep the pot simmering until the play-offs so no reason why they should go all-out in the FAI Cup.

Pilley already using his connections. Alex Bapiste, played a lot of games in Championsiop and League 1, even some in the PL with Blackpool has just Waterford...great timing to sign a player of that calibre if his head is in the game, last game was 4 months ago so hard to know if his head is truly still in it.

I think that's the manager contacting anyone who might be interested.

Hopefully his legs haven't gone and he can get match fit in time to have a positive impact. Not a good sign when Bolton offered him a coaching role rather than a footballing role, and he's only played once this calendar year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Added a Spanish striker, formely of Leicester.

Very frustrating night.

The ref was an absolute disgrace, the manager didn't help his team at all and I have no idea how Yassine is always starting. Himself & Griffin are just bang average and a problem in midfield when teams just knock it around them.

2 points dropped, fucked away, even with the ref being an utter, utter, disgrace and the team being on its knees desperate for reinforcements we still should have won is the most annoying thing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

Entertaining game and overall it was a fair result. Waterford looked in complete control at 2 0 but let Wexford back into it. Wassim's miss at the end was terrible.

Searle is very reluctant to make subs. Daragh Power was being exposed a lot at full back near the end but was left on. Our lack of bodies in defence is counting against us. Griffin didn't have a good game but I think he's been one of our best players this season.

Apologies yes, meant to type were bang average, though in Yassines case I would actually stand by simply is bang average.

Really physical test given by Wexford and they definitely deserved a draw even if we missed 4/5 very good chances throughout, their equaliser was also coming for about 10 minutes before they scored and they just seemed to grow by the encouragement from seeing the Waterford lads start to wilt.

Wassims miss was terrible, but I gave him a bit of a break because he was bollixed at that point too and stretching, no excuse for missing it but I find it hard to give him too hard a time given the effort he expended battling all night

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Losing a two goal lead last week & then to score in the 90th minute & then to throw it away AGAIN beggars belief!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Deiselurker

We didn't throw it away. We battled back with 10 men to equalise and then the referee made a disgraceful decision to give Cork a penalty to win the game. Nobody seems to know what the penalty was given for.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Great to battle back after been reduced to 10 men to be cost a draw by a scandalous decision by the ref.

Up on 4,000 at the game last night, lots of positive things happening again.. We just have to keep the momentum going now into the playoffs....

On a side note, there was more guards and security over at the home section instead of being over at the Away section.. There's no way those Cork fans should have been allowed run onto the pitch last night.. The guards just stood there and did nothing..too busy on their mobile phones

Dundalk not at there best form atm and a you never know in the cup

Getting back to a cup semi final would be magical

Hon the blues

Defend for our lives

• Advertisement

Beautiful absolutely beautiful

Roll on the semi finals, avoid the winner of Rovers and Derry and you never know

Advertisement